How does the FAA research people's medical history

It asks for visits to all health professionals in the last 3 years, also demands to know if you've ever had the license (even pro-forma) suspended or substituted by an educational course.

They're pretty hard on this (mandated by Congress).
If you are getting your certificates annually (e.g. 2nd or 3rd class) and have been doing so for more than 2 years, can you just list those appointments since the last medical and say "other appointments previously reported"?

Grant, you can, and if it's the same AME he'll be okay with it. But a different AME will be obliged to interrogate enough to get a good medical history and would appreciate them being listed.....

Dr Chien,

I want to get my class 3 so I can get my private license. I will pass everything on the medical except I take adderall for ADD. I have been taking it for about 10 years and it has made a huge difference in my life. I know there is about zero chance of getting a license while taking adderall. What are the steps I need to go through to qualify for a medical? I never had an actual test that diagnosed ADD, my doctor suggested adderall to me after our son was tested and put on adderall.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

addpilot

Grant, you can, and if it's the same AME he'll be okay with it. But a different AME will be obliged to interrogate enough to get a good medical history and would appreciate them being listed.....
Thanks Dr. Bruce. I noticed when looking at Medxpress that my prior submission does NOT show up. Would the original AME have access to it? Would any AME have access to it?

I suppose if all the boxes 18v, 18w are negative, and you didn't come to the attention of the law, you can answer 18n "no", as there is no record anyplace.

They're pretty hard on this (mandated by Congress). And they're hard on AMEs, too.

I may be beating a dead horse here... but in this situation is a diagnosis code filed when a patient checks yes to past marijuana use on a new patient history form? Or is it for office use only... I'm assuming that only the diagnosis codes are the visible medical history to faa.

Thanks Dr. Bruce. I noticed when looking at Medxpress that my prior submission does NOT show up. Would the original AME have access to it? Would any AME have access to it?
He only has access if he calls the agency during an exam and has the comments read to him or faxed to him.

How many AMEs have you seen do that? I mean, if the interrogation is that adverse, and that not-forthcoming, I'm likely to show the guy the door. The history has got to make sense. "I was just standing out there by the Cabrini Green, when this dude...."....well, you get it.

Diagnosis codes, however (FAA system, not ICDM codes, are on the medxpress history sheet, however).

unregistered said:
....is a diagnosis code filed when a patient checks yes to past marijuana use on a new patient history form? Or is it for office use only...
It is what the doc's office uses to get insurance payment. If it's in a history and the office is at all efficient, the code for drug abuse will appear.

He only has access if he calls the agency during an exam and has the comments read to him or faxed to him.

How many AMEs have you seen do that? I mean, if the interrogation is that adverse, and that not-forthcoming, I'm likely to show the guy the door. The history has got to make sense. "I was just standing out there by the Cabrini Green, when this dude...."....well, you get it.

Diagnosis codes, however (FAA system, not ICDM codes, are on the medxpress history sheet, however).

It is what the doc's office uses to get insurance payment. If it's in a history and the office is at all efficient, the code for drug abuse will appear.

My Doc hands everyone who's been in before, a copy of their last medical application as a courtesy, along with the fresh new one ready for brainless pen transfer of whatever you wrote years ago...

So -- if your Doc's on the ball... he may have a copy of the original application. You might call and ask.

My Doc hands everyone who's been in before, a copy of their last medical application as a courtesy, along with the fresh new one ready for brainless pen transfer of whatever you wrote years ago...

So -- if your Doc's on the ball... he may have a copy of the original application. You might call and ask.

Nate, with MedExpress, which is mandated starting in October IIRC, there is no more paper involved. I wasn't asking the question so much for me, however, because I find that Bruce is very much on the ball! ;)

Nate, with MedExpress, which is mandated starting in October IIRC, there is no more paper involved. I wasn't asking the question so much for me, however, because I find that Bruce is very much on the ball! ;)

Ahh. Didn't know that. October 1, or what?

I'm due for my final 5-year medical sometime before mid-October.

(Guess how old I am! Grin...)

If most computer system roll-outs are typical, I'm thinking early September might be an excellent time to visit the AME.

Preferably long before he's completely and utterly PO'd at the busted new system. ;) Maybe August. Ha.

Ahh. Didn't know that. October 1, or what?

I'm due for my final 5-year medical sometime before mid-October.

(Guess how old I am! Grin...)

If most computer system roll-outs are typical, I'm thinking early September might be an excellent time to visit the AME.

Preferably long before he's completely and utterly PO'd at the busted new system. ;) Maybe August. Ha.
Nate, the system is up and running now. In fact, I used it last February. Now, that's not to say there won't be an unmanageable surge of new users as the deadline passes, but...

Nate, the system is up and running now. In fact, I used it last February. Now, that's not to say there won't be an unmanageable surge of new users as the deadline passes, but...

Ahh okay.

Well, I guess I'll just show up whenever this year and fugettaboutit.

Either the computer will be happy that day, or it won't.

Think I could get a screenshot of my data with my iPhone? LOL!

I'm probably reading into this one from the stories of whatever that other FAA computer thing is that you use for new ratings. Seems like every time someone brings that one up, they complain that it didn't work and the CFI had to make a phone call.

Assuming that Aeromedical's new toy is as bad as that other thing sounds is probably a mental over-reach by this Sysadmin who's seen so much bad and sloppy code over the years, my assumption is always that the first version of anything has to be either backed out, or the project managers claim critical features weren't "in scope" and pronounce the roll-out an unmitigated success, and head for the bar at the golf course with the C-levels whilst us admins hack together something that replaces the missing functionality. ;)

Ahh okay.

Well, I guess I'll just show up whenever this year and fugettaboutit.

Either the computer will be happy that day, or it won't.

Think I could get a screenshot of my data with my iPhone? LOL!

I'm probably reading into this one from the stories of whatever that other FAA computer thing is that you use for new ratings. Seems like every time someone brings that one up, they complain that it didn't work and the CFI had to make a phone call.

Assuming that Aeromedical's new toy is as bad as that other thing sounds is probably a mental over-reach by this Sysadmin who's seen so much bad and sloppy code over the years, my assumption is always that the first version of anything has to be either backed out, or the project managers claim critical features weren't "in scope" and pronounce the roll-out an unmitigated success, and head for the bar at the golf course with the C-levels whilst us admins hack together something that replaces the missing functionality. ;)
Here's the URL: https://medxpress.faa.gov/medxpress/
I did call them for assistance once (asking how to print out the filled-in form) and they gave the wrong answer. They said it couldn't be done. In actuality, it can be done, but only after you finalize the application to send to the FAA. Note that even after you do that, it can be canceled or modified by the doc or be made to go away, so in that respect it's different that the paper form, where once he hands you the form you're pretty much either going to get a medical certification or a denial. If I have any of this wrong, I rely on Dr. Bruce to speak up and set the record straight!:yesnod:

"Safari cannot open the page because the server can not be found".

:rofl:

(I'll look over the URL and troubleshoot that later, but thanks for the link. Hahaha. I am the Sysadmin, bringer of Server Death!)

"Safari cannot open the page because the server can not be found".

:rofl:

(I'll look over the URL and troubleshoot that later, but thanks for the link. Hahaha. I am the Sysadmin, bringer of Server Death!)

I am the System Admin. Bow down before me. Buy me lunch.

If there is an investigation, all the diagnosis codes in your medical history will be instantly available to the examiners in OKC. They pull PILOT certificates for that.

Thus my mantra: "is it okay if I lie?"
".....Only until you get caught".

If you are honest you can get a special issuance with a year of "they call you pee" at ~$50 per pop. You'll need a medical AME sponsor to run the program and will need a trip to the substance abuse evaluator (3rd class) or to a psychiatrist (upper classes), and some documentable "recovery-maintainence" activities....

Or you can lie. Then at any time later in your career, if you bust or bend metal, you simply lose your pilot certificates. That's how it goes.

how is someones diagnostic codes available instantly to OKC? This is a legitimate question. My insurance company doesn't keep diagnosis codes history of me so how do they even find anything?

Is there a place that keeps a persons complete record? Like if you type in their SS number somewhere...

how is someones diagnostic codes available instantly to OKC? This is a legitimate question. My insurance company doesn't keep diagnosis codes history of me so how do they even find anything?

Is there a place that keeps a persons complete record? Like if you type in their SS number somewhere...
Did someone at the insurance company tell you that? I would be very surprised if they don't keep them forever. Even if they are not immediately available they are probably archived somewhere.

BBCHEIN,
I know you like to play internet bully alot, but do you really act this way in person?
Sincerely,
Unregistered

Haven't met him in person, but I've also never seen him being a "bully" online.

"Highly motivational" maybe, when he's frustrated at pilots who scoff at his knowledge of the FAA Medical system, but since that's his day job... I can see why he'd roll his virtual eyes a bit at those deciding willfully to ignore his advice, freely given, and that they sought out online instead of contacting a professional directly.

Similar to my response to people who believe computers make everything easier magically overnight by just purchasing them and sticking them on your desk with no training or a commitment to learn how they actually work.

"Oh, I don't want to reload Windows. I didn't keep any of my software installation media," for example.

"Have fun getting it working properly again! Your Registry is pooched and frankly, that's the fastest and most consistently reproducible outcome way to fix it. The rest is a waste of my time unless you're paying by the hour!" - That isn't bullying, it's just having been there, done that.

That's how I read most of Bruce's stuff.

Comparing an anesthesiologist who has literally dealt with life and death decisions on a daily basis with a computer technician? Not even close.

Let's see: what drugs do we give for this cardiac arrest versus maybe you should be reloading Windows 7? Laughable.

BBCHEIN,
I know you like to play internet bully alot, but do you really act this way in person?
Sincerely,
Unregistered

I can tell you that Dr. Chien is extremely knowledgeable in this subject area. It is his full time profession!

Here is my personal experience with him. I was involved in a medical certification nightmare. I came across his e-mail somewhere, e-mailed him my situation and phone number, and received a phone call from him within a few minutes. This was on a Sunday.

Everything he has told me since has been correct. I've met him several times and so far he hasn't bullied me.....

If you do not appear in the MIB database, they just call the docs on your list.....it doesn't take long.

BBCHEIN,
Sincerely,
Unregistered
Only when an airman doesn't come clean with me. Then even if I exerted full effort it would be for naught. My going to bat for an airman DEMANDS total disclosure.

Hiding doesn't suggest a productive relationship.

I don't tolerate evasion /lying/"oh by the way"....so well. "oh by the way" has ended many medical certifications.....

The wecallupee handle leaves on thing out: it's actually "wecallupeeupayforit". Sigh :(

DenverPilot said:
"Oh, I don't want to reload Windows. I didn't keep any of my software installation media," for example.

"Have fun getting it working properly again! Your Registry is pooched and frankly, that's the fastest and most consistently reproducible outcome way to fix it. The rest is a waste of my time unless you're paying by the hour!" - That isn't bullying, it's just having been there, done that.
Nate, you're just a doc working in another area than mine....:yesnod: as in, "what do you mean that the last time you imaged your harddrive was....never?"

Last edited:
18v: It asks for visits to all health professionals in the last 3 years, also demands to know if you've ever had the license (even pro-forma) suspended or substituted by an educational course.

18n. asks have you "ever in your life had substance dependence, or failed a drug test ever, or substance abuse or USE OF ILLEGAL SUBSTANCE IN THE LAST 2 YEARS." You if you're more than 2 years out, you're going to say, "Yeah I used it but I never abused it or was dependent". Better have some documentation for that. The only way I know how to do that is: Substance evaluation by a state licensed (sometimes they do acquit the airman! :) ) evaluator, DL and state Felony/misdemeanor search, and negative hair test.

I suppose if all the boxes 18v, 18w are negative, and you didn't come to the attention of the law, you can answer 18n "no", as there is no record anyplace.

They're pretty hard on this (mandated by Congress). And they're hard on AMEs, too.

??? I thought it was the other way around, if you answer "No", they need evidence that you did...? How are they going to prove anything if there is no court or medical record to show abuse?

The investigator IC has considerable leeway in determining what is "needed". If the accident smells of "stupid pilot tricks" (just like DUI is to constables), he might get records from the docs anyway (you give that permission by signing the 8500-8, and/or when you submit the electronic form. If he is suspicious, he just calls up the medical branch and they assign an inspector (medical). And away they dig.

The only thing you are pretty safe from, is healthcare furnished entirely by cash. Since most Americans still expect that healthcare is free, this is pretty uncommon. Still happens, though....

I dislike it when an anon, who is clearly hiding, asks detailed questions repeatedly as to what can be discovered about him....which to me indicates a positive past, and an attempt to ignore the "have you ever in your life....?" question, then turns around and says, I'm bullying him.

I suppose if the attitude is, "what do I have to indicate to get the desired result" and you have to ask that question, then I really cannot be of any real help. EVERYTHING in this country exists somewhere in digits. Everything is find-able. You can accomplish this by simply lying and checking all boxes "no". And you may expect ZERO help from me.

So, since I can't tell who is who, I'm done here.

Last edited:
Comparing an anesthesiologist who has literally dealt with life and death decisions on a daily basis with a computer technician? Not even close.

Let's see: what drugs do we give for this cardiac arrest versus maybe you should be reloading Windows 7? Laughable.

It was analogies of typical responses of people who know what they're doing, not "comparing" anything. The guy said Doc was "bullying" him. I said, no... Doc typically doesn't suffer fools.

If you thought the point of that post of mine was to relate anethesiology to computing, you really need some assistance with reading comprehension in context.

My use of a Windows desktop in the analogy was only because far more of the "audience" would understand that analogy than me going into the intricate details of /proc on a Linux box, for example -- and the point wasn't anything seriously computer or anesthesiology-related.

I can't stand Windows desktops, really. My specialty is servers running significantly better OSs, which is abundantly clear if you read other posts by me.

I used a "lowest common denominator" example, both in terms of the choice of OS, and the sample problem itself.

I had no desire to lay out the intricacies of say, the memory map or /proc filesystem on a Linux box, as it wouldn't have served useful to make the actual point of the post.

The government is pushing hard to have all prescriptions sent electronically so that will be another way they can monitor a person's medical activity even if it is paid for by cash. You could ask for a paper prescription but at some time in the future that may not be possible.

Don't forget the electronic health record mandate that's coming down the pipe.
We have EMR at my office and are working hard to get the bonus cash from the feds after we pass the meaningful use tests. The hospital recently switched to EMR also.

We too have emr, and it is a pain. Pretty much all prescriptions by the providers have to be sent electronically- it's rare to write a paper prescription these days. This means virtually every rx and diagnosis will be accessible for search.

Oh really? Can I get a copy of the form I filled out then? Because my AME is already old / retired so one day, unfortunately, I will have to "start over" with a new AME and if I'm expected to list everything from scratch I will probably forget by then. I plan to use my current AME for my next two Class III's but after that he may not be practicing anymore.

Oh really? Can I get a copy of the form I filled out then? Because my AME is already old / retired so one day, unfortunately, I will have to "start over" with a new AME and if I'm expected to list everything from scratch I will probably forget by then. I plan to use my current AME for my next two Class III's but after that he may not be practicing anymore.

Didn't you get a copy to keep when you got your medical? The forms provide a copy for you to take/lkeep.

Didn't you get a copy to keep when you got your medical? The forms provide a copy for you to take/lkeep.

Oh, really? Well if I did them I'm sure I have it somewhere. He had old stuff (even used a type writer for my medical) so not sure if his is the "usual" form.

This is an old thread, but hopefully I'll get a response. I stupidly put myself in a precarious situation. I was "Diagnosed" with ADD. I am in the Army and a full time student, I sort of stretched the truth of the symptoms of add to get diagnosed to get the meds... Yea I know.. A. It was stupid and immature
B. I may have just screwed myself over.

During the mid nineties admist the add craze I was also diagnosed. When really I was just like every 6 yr old. Bouncing off the walls, loud etc. etc. I told the Army that I was never diagnosed with ADD and they never found out. They threatened all the future soldiers with fradulent enlistment charges for lying just to scare people. But obviously, I as well as many, have no issues.

Is the FAA similar in this regards?
Can I "stretch" the truth and or not divulge information despite the threats?

Can they access my military records? I'd imagine that it'd be very easy for them due to FAA and US Army being federal agencies.

I was recently accepted into Embry riddle for Aeronautical science, and need to take the flight physical. Any info would be great! Thanks ladies and gentlemen!

But if reporting prevents getting the certificate in the first place, a post incident revocation isn't really a disincentive.:lol:

I wish i could have confidence in this argument. I believe an insurance company will probably try to avoid paying the claim to the to the widow of the pilot and fatherless kids if they can.

I wish i could have confidence in this argument. I believe an insurance company will probably try to avoid paying the claim to the to the widow of the pilot and fatherless kids if they can.

Some are in a position where none of that matters. Second if insurance companies utilized every out possible no one would get insurance. Not that insurance companies are benevolent, just that denying claims on little details would eventually cut into their business. Better business to pay scumbags claim and jack the rates on the do-gooders to keep profits up.

Can they access my military records? I'd imagine that it'd be very easy for them due to FAA and US Army being federal agencies.

I was recently accepted into Embry riddle for Aeronautical science, and need to take the flight physical. Any info would be great! Thanks ladies and gentlemen!

For this situation, best that you contact Dr. Bruce Chien directly. What ever his guidance is, follow that and do not stray from the path.

He contact information can be found in his profile, or by the correct page at www.aeromedicaldoc.com

And if you don't have insurance?

Then you'll pay a fine just for failing to have insurance. Welcome to the so-called "Affordable Care Act," colloquially nicknamed after our current president.

I've wondered whether that law was really about healthcare, or just a way to inventory law-abiding people who otherwise would never wind up in a government medical database.

I've wondered whether that law was really about healthcare, or just a way to inventory law-abiding people who otherwise would never wind up in a government medical database.

Whatever the motivation, as someone who has been denied health insurance in the past, I for one am glad that that is no longer possible.

This is an old thread, but hopefully I'll get a response. I stupidly put myself in a precarious situation. I was "Diagnosed" with ADD. I am in the Army and a full time student, I sort of stretched the truth of the symptoms of add to get diagnosed to get the meds... Yea I know.. A. It was stupid and immature
B. I may have just screwed myself over.

During the mid nineties admist the add craze I was also diagnosed. When really I was just like every 6 yr old. Bouncing off the walls, loud etc. etc. I told the Army that I was never diagnosed with ADD and they never found out. They threatened all the future soldiers with fradulent enlistment charges for lying just to scare people. But obviously, I as well as many, have no issues.

Everything is accessable and in gargantuan databases. As we have discussed offline, 1993 is the cusp of that. I had a situation eight years ago where I tried to help a guy out remotely. I got approval to issue him if he passed standards. I got a call back six minutes later asking if I had issued yet. I was NOT contemplating doing so - but sending the authorization to another AME well across the country...and he called back to say, "don't issue, he has a Coronary bypass code".

If you have a discoverable Rx for ADD, and they find it, and you did not do the evaluations, e.g, you lied, every certificate you win will be revoked. Just think about that for a while.

They usually don't look-but the FIRST time you call attention to yourself, an ATC deal, a ramp check with a twist, you will sweat for nights wondering if your career just evaporated.

Not a pretty story.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back