How do I remember?

If you are staying in the pattern, then leave the pump on.

My GUMPS is a little different:

Gas good tank selected, check sufficient quantity
Undercarriage down and locked
Mixture set
Prop set
Switches/seatbelts on. On this one I go through the whole switch panel and ensure each switch is where I want it to be, lights, pumps, etc.

I'm probably going to have a similar problem when I start flying something with carb heat after only being exposed to fuel injection so far.

Carb heat (at least on Cessnas) has a great visual for you, though. Anytime the tach needle isn't in the green[1], the carb heat should be on.

[1] Except for ground ops.

32f9f183-506a-485d-b89b-716942245354.png

I'm probably going to have a similar problem when I start flying something with carb heat after only being exposed to fuel injection so far.
I've told this story before, so real short version: Pilot learned in a 172, got into the habit of not using a checklist. Transition training into a 182, never remembered to do the cowl flaps. When told, "you're forgetting something," looked haphazardly around the cockpit except at the checklist sitting in his line of sight on the glareshield. The habit of not using one had become so ingrained, it never even crossed his mind to look at a checklist.

If you use a mnemonic like CGUMPS say it out loud, don't just say it in your head.

I'm a belt and suspenders type. I do the mnemonic, then a flow check and then read the checklist as time permits. Problem is time very seldom permits.

If the Archers you are flying are much like mine there are only actually two things you need to do before landing- mixture full rich, fuel pump on. I believe the only other items on the checklist are making sure you have a tank with fuel selected, make sure the seats are up, and seat belts on.

Recurring theme theme: not using a checklist creates a habit of noti using a checklist. It's a habit that can be broken but it takes a lot of work - much more work than developing the habit of glancing at a checklist even if "carb heat" is the only item on it.
This. At work, the only item on our climb checklist is "Altimeters." I still pull out the checklist and look even though I know it's the only item on it.

If you use a mnemonic like CGUMPS say it out loud, don't just say it in your head.

I'm a belt and suspenders type. I do the mnemonic, then a flow check and then read the checklist as time permits. Problem is time very seldom permits.
If you don't have time to run a normal ops checklist, you're doing something wrong.

IMHO, y'all are putting it on the wrong letter in GUMPS:

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Prop
Switches, Seatbelts

Ok, So GUMPSS, but the 'S' is for Switches... the boost pump. This also works for landing light(s).

I skip the mnemonic.

I've always tended to be pretty good at the before landing checklist. The reason is kind of funny (strange, not ha-ha). I fly a number of different makes and models and I'm a bit numbers-challenged. I have to look at the checklist to remind myself of Vref. So I might as well look at the very few other things on it.

These days GUMPS for me is:

G Check the GEAR

U Undercarriage check

M MAKE sure the gear is down

P PUT your hand on the gear switch

S Make SURE the gear is down

I'm with the guys advocating using the checklist every single time. I've never had a CFI who wouldn't let me sneeze without using one so it just became a habit. And that started twentysome years ago and I still do it today. It was probably my primary CFI who said something to the effect of "Use the checklist every time and take it seriously and you'll never skip a step." And he went on to say how pilots get complacent and how a small item can lead to big problems.

There's a training video they used to show at the Robinson safety course of a newly-minted helicopter pilot making a trip around the pattern while his wife captured it on video. He turns final and the helicopter plummets, killing him. There are a chain of mistakes, but the one item he forgot was carb heat. It was guessed that he was so surprised that he forgot to auto. That's one video I'll never forget and it's always reinforced my idea to use a checklist every time. The smallest details can be killers.

This, of course, is the root of the problem. I've read the checklist and I've got all the common with Cessna parts memorized, but when just tooling around the pattern I don't pull it out. Things are going fast enough that I need a better way to manage the actual piece of paper. And I need to remember ALL the steps for this airplane (which is what a checklist is for, I realize).
If you get into the habit of running the GUMPS check when you're downwind abeam the touchdown point, this problem will be solved. :)

GUMPS becomes BUMPS for a low wing, where the B stands for Boost pump. And make certain you're on the tank that has gas, of course.
Depends on the low wing. No stand by operation for for the fuel pump on the 'kota.

WHILE YOU HAND IS UP THERE. Now say it to yourself: WHILE MY HAND IS UP THERE!!

So when you're at the point where you reduce the throttle to slow down on the downwind.

WHILE YOUR HAND IS UP THERE and since you have to turn on the landing light as well...

turn on the fuel pump. Are you forgetting the landing light too?

WHILE YOU HAND IS UP THERE. Now say it to yourself: WHILE MY HAND IS UP THERE!!

So when you're at the point where you reduce the throttle to slow down on the downwind.

WHILE YOUR HAND IS UP THERE and since you have to turn on the landing light as well...

turn on the fuel pump. Are you forgetting the landing light too?

Problem...most of us have switched to an LED landing light that doesn't get turned off until after landing. I switch the landing light on as I take the runway and it doesn't go off again until leaving the runway.

Otherwise, I kinda like this advice.

How do you remember what? I forgot...

I switched to LED and I turn it off when I turn my fuel pump off after takeoff. Yeah I know, the LED will last for 15,000 hours - longer than the plane itself but I turn it off.

IMHO, y'all are putting it on the wrong letter in GUMPS:

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Prop
Switches, Seatbelts

Ok, So GUMPSS, but the 'S' is for Switches... the boost pump. This also works for landing light(s).

----------
Somehow, I wound up doing :

Gas
Undercarriage
Mixture
Prop
Pump
Switches (drink dispenser) Seat belts

However, I'm remedial — always have been ;)

IMG_0056.PNG
better have the club A&P check that. look in the POH that placard is required to be "in full view of the pilot" without that placard on the panel the plane is not airworthy.
look at post 23 and you will see those placards right behind the yoke.

bob
I'll have to check that. The panel is so full and busy I may just have missed them. Or they may be blocked by something. My mistake. They are there. I didn't realize.

Last edited:
If you don't have time to run a normal ops checklist, you're doing something wrong.
I didn't think it was very normal to do all 3 (mnemonic, flow check, checklist). I would think normal is just one.

Back