Heading West / winter vacation at the West-coast

Skywalker

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Skywalker
We flew the US West Coast in the past, however always with rented aircrafts. Since we had our own plane, we dreamed of flying to heading west with our own plane.

Weather permitting, the most western point of our journey and the first destination, should be Catalina Island, 22 miles off the shore of Los Angeles. On the way back, we wanted to visit Death Valley, Las Vegas, Grand Canyon and the Monument Valley. Except of the hotel in Death Valley, for Christmas Day, we planned to book hotels and rental cars depending on how the journey progressed.

On Sunday, 12/18/2016, we started our vacation and flew the Mooney westbound. Weather at Mettetal in Michigan (1D2) was chilly and we expected snowfall in the South Bend area what forced us to climb into a strong headwind. After we had passed this area, we had clear and sunny skies and we started our decent back down to 4,500’, to avoid the prevailing headwinds on our way West. We stopped in Lee Summit, MO (KLXT) South of Kansas City for gas and then continued to Dalhart, TX, where the courtesy car already waited for us.

Over Kansas, temperatures were single digit on the ground...o_O

rps20161218_182126.jpg

Over New Mexico on Monday (12/19/2017), enroute to Palm Springs:

rps20161219_165810.jpg

Over California:

download_20161231_131100.jpg

On Monday we arrived in Palm Springs (KTRM) where we enjoyed, after the previous single digit temperatures, temperatures in the 70s.

Just before arriving in Palm Springs, temperatures were in the 70s... :)

download_20161231_131035.jpg

We visited Catalina Island and its ‘Airport in the Sky’ (KAVX) during a daytrip on Tuesday. Catalina Island presented itself from its best side as we enjoyed the hike on the island before heading back to Palm Springs.

Day trip to Catalina Island - Two Harbors:

download_20161231_131112.jpg

Airport in the Sky (KAVX):

download_20161231_131115.jpg

Last edited:
The weather forecasts for the next few days predicted heavy rain and low ceilings in California, we therefore decided to leave Palm Springs on Tuesday.

After departing KTRM we saw this:

download_20161229_081300.jpg

We stopped at the Shoshone Airport (L61) for an early lunch before continuing to the Furnace Creek airport (L06), located in the Death Valley.

Furnace Creek Airport:

download_20161229_081302.jpg

Leaving Death Valley:

download_20161229_081253.jpg

After a short stop in Furnace Creek, we flew via Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon to Page, AZ (KPGA). Because of snowfall we had to extend our stay in Page - the area provides enough great places to visit and we took advantage of our time in Page.

Approaching Page:

download_20161229_081257.jpg

One of the many canyons:

download_20161229_063358.jpg

Horseshoe Bend:

rps20161224_212456.jpg

From Page we flew back to Las Vegas (KVGT) on Sunday, 12/25/2016, picked up our rental car and drove into the Death Valley. While Death Valley’s main attractions (e.g. Badwater, Devil’s Golfcourse, Zabriskie Point, Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes, …) were really crowded, we enjoyed the lesser known areas and hikes (e.g. Ubehebe Crater, Fall Canyon, Salt Creek, …). Temperatures were pleasant and in their 60s. Some days before we arrived by car, it had rained in Death Valley and rivers were carrying a lot of water.

Hiking the dunes:

download_20161229_063337.jpg

Badwater, the lowest point in North America:

download_20161229_063350.jpg

Devil's Golf course:

download_20161229_063347.jpg

Last edited:
Wednesday, 12/28/2016 brought us to Santa Fe. On our way there, we flew from Las Vegas over the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and the Shiprock mountain. The FAA has established several corridors over the Grand Canyon - the views we breath taking and we enjoyed the flight a lot!

Grand Canyon:

download_20161229_061937.jpg

download_20161229_061941.jpg

Monument Valley:

download_20161229_061950.jpg

download_20161229_061947.jpg

Shiprock Mountain:

download_20161229_061958.jpg

download_20161229_061954.jpg

While we would have loved to also explore Colorado Springs or Denver, the weather forecast was however not favorable for the weekend and we were concerned that we might not be able to make it back to Detroit.

Sunset in Santa Fe (KSAF):

rps20161230_213035.jpg

On Friday morning, 12/30/2016 we decided to head east and to be open to spend one ore more nights along the way, if needed. The weather was really nice and by the time we stopped in Lee's Summit for fuel, it had also further improved in Michigan and the Detroit area, so that we decided to actually fly all the way home.

Total Time flown: 37 hours
Miles covered: 4,200 NM
Highest ground speed in level flight: 208 knots / 240 mph
Most memorable airport(s): Catalina Island (KAVX) and Furnace Creek (L06)

Last edited:
Now that's how to use a Mooney!
Great trip. Thank you for sharing.

Cool! Great pics. Always wanted to do a trip like that. Perhaps one of these days.

Last edited:
This should be in cool places to fly forum. I did a similar trip this thanksgiving in my Mooney, except it was more about the destination and less about stops along the way.
Always problematic this time of year to fly north.
40f70f805874b7e2816ef9f64435b596.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for your nice feedback. We enjoyed the trip a lot. The Mooney is a real traveling machine... :)

Nice pics. I've done similar trips, but not for a long time - and not in winter.
One minor correction: Badwater is the lowest point in North America. For the world it is the Dead Sea. I haven't flown to Death Valley, but did get a kick out of landing below sea level in the Imperial Valley.

Dave

Love the pics. Just curious, though... what were you renting before to make the previous trips?

Nice pics. I've done similar trips, but not for a long time - and not in winter.
One minor correction: Badwater is the lowest point in North America. For the world it is the Dead Sea. I haven't flown to Death Valley, but did get a kick out of landing below sea level in the Imperial Valley.

Dave

Thank you for your feedback and pointing out my mistake. I changed it to North America. :)

Landing below sea level is definitely 'interesting'... You wonder if you dialed the altimeter correctly when you decent below sea level... :DThe Thermal Airport (KTRM) in Palm Springs is below sea level too.

Love the pics. Just curious, though... what were you renting before to make the previous trips?

Thank you!

We usually rented C172s when traveling before. We had to fly a certain number of hours every single day (usually 3 hours per day) while renting. Therefore, the C172 was perfect as you aren't that fast... :biggrin:

Last edited:
... I did a similar trip this thanksgiving in my Mooney, except it was more about the destination and less about stops along the way.
Always problematic this time of year to fly north.
40f70f805874b7e2816ef9f64435b596.jpg

Wow - this looks like quite a trip. :)

Looks like you almost went right over my house on your way home through Illinois. I should have waved.

We will let you know next time NealRomeoGolf... :)

Dave

Yup, the Dead Sea is the lowest. See the picture - taken from Masada, which, amazingly enough, is around sea level. You can just make out an airport in the picture, too. No, I didn't get a chance to fly there, darn it. :)

DSC00115.JPG

Great pictures and story. My bucket list includes flying the 182 from Atlanta to the west coast and back, visiting some dealer friends along the way. I would love to do it this year in late spring, maybe May. My thoughts are to go solo, somewhat of a sabbatical, just enjoy the flying, see some friends and take my time. :D

Great pictures and story. My bucket list includes flying the 182 from Atlanta to the west coast and back, visiting some dealer friends along the way. I would love to do it this year in late spring, maybe May. My thoughts are to go solo, somewhat of a sabbatical, just enjoy the flying, see some friends and take my time. :D
The DEA noted this post and is now watching you.

In Momument Valley, were you on flight following, IFR, or just on your own? In any case, do you make position calls?

Seems like a popular area for aviation, paragliders, sight seeing copters, etc.

Back