RyanB

Super Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
Officially Instrument rated!

It was a pretty thorough evaluation. About a 2 hour oral and then a 1.7 flight. Overall the oral was straightforward and right by the ACS. We talked about weather a fair bit, rightfully so and covered about everything related to flight planning, approaches, approach charts, ODP’s, SID’s, STAR’s and all of the general knowledge about instrument flying. The flight was a bit more eventful. We did a hold, an RNAV, LOC and an ILS. The DPE had me do a hold at the IAF of the RNAV which was a new one for me, but luckily I caught the curveball and nailed it by simply suspending the GPS once established in the procedure turn. Sometime soon I’ll write up a longer debrief, but I’m thrilled to finally have my Instrument Rating completed - now I just need some clouds to play in!

Pictured here with FAA DPE Tony Walker.

IMG_5891.jpeg

It was a pretty thorough evaluation. About a 2 hour oral and then a 1.7 flight. Overall the oral was straightforward and right by the ACS. We talked about weather a fair bit, rightfully so and covered about everything related to flight planning, approaches, approach charts, ODP’s, SID’s, STAR’s and all of the general knowledge about instrument flying. The flight was a bit more eventful. We did a hold, an RNAV, LOC and an ILS. The DPE had me do a hold at the IAF of the RNAV which was a new one for me, but luckily I caught the curveball and nailed it by simply suspending the GPS once established in the procedure turn. Sometime soon I’ll write up a longer debrief, but I’m thrilled to finally have my Instrument Rating completed - now I just need some clouds to play in!

View attachment 123258
Welcome to the goo

View attachment 123258

Congratulations!

Congrats. Commercial next?

Congrats man!!!

Congratulations, Ryan, that is the most important rating to get. The increase of options to safely take make the PPL twice as valuable.

Now, keep studying weather, that is the key to safety with the ticket. :)

Congratulations, Ryan, that is the most important rating to get. The increase of options to safely take make the PPL twice as valuable.

Now, keep studying weather, that is the key to safety with the ticket. :)
Agree and agree!

Congratulations, that's a ton of work.

Congrats!

What kind of panel - VOR/DME with panel GPS, or full glass panel?
How long (calendar & hours) did it take?
G1000. I stopped and started due to life circumstances. In all, it took about 8 months or so of training and around 50hrs.

Congratulations!

Now you have zero excuses to not show up to RR!

Congrats! Now go get your ticket wet.

Congratulations!

And I, for one, will be looking forward to your longer debrief writeup.

Is the DPE wearing foggles? The full write-up should be interesting...

Congratulations on the instrument rating. Earning it is a graduate-level education on preflight weather planning. Having it is a license to learn about in-flight weather decision making at that higher level. Here's hoping that you always know what you need to safely complete your flight and never hesitate to ask ATC for it. Have fun reading the clouds and surfing among them, and enjoy the greater availability of airplanes and courtesy cars alike on cloudy days.

I did my rides with Ben, Tony seems like a good guy and straight shooter.
I also did my Private ride with Ben. Cool guy and thought he was very fair. Tony is great too! Right by the book in every way and covers everything he’s supposed to. He was very thorough!

Congrats dude.

I should probably plan some flights that way soon as it's definitely going to be sky clear conditions for a while now :D

Congrats dude.

I should probably plan some flights that way soon as it's definitely going to be sky clear conditions for a while now :D
Yeah! Come on man!

Congrats! Go out and use it much as you can.

Back