Got first doze of Pfizer today

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were walk in customers. I took my mom for her #2 shot, and asked the pharmacist if he could take us. We filled out the paperwork, rolled up our sleeves and was out the door in 30 minutes from the time we walked in.

And that's how it should be. I will be doing vaccinations for the state tomorrow. When in worked the vaccination site last time, we still had mostly an elderly population. Had the decision been up to me, I would have just immunized anyone who brought in one of the elderly vaccinees. If our goal is to protect the more vulnerable, we should aim to vaccinate those around them. The folks from the health department who ran the check-in were smart enough to take the 'children' as walk-ins, but they had to qualify on their own merits (>65 + comorbidities). Now that the state is opening up vaccinations down to 16, we should be able to take all the caregivers.

it wasn't like there was an unlimited supply of doses.

They didn't call it WARP speed for nuth'n....yup it was amazing and miraculous.;)

The protocol for the mRNA-1273 phase I trial was filed on Feb 14th 2020 with funding provided by the Dolly Parton foundation, moderna and a batch of standing NIAID grant programs.

The protocol for the phase I trial for BNT162b2 was posted on 4/27/20 and the first subject enrolled on 5/4/20. Funding was provided by BNT.

OWS wasn't announced until may 15th.

The commitment by the government to remove any potential obstacles was certainly helpful, momentum on the side of businesses and scientists was already going.

The heros in this case are the 90 or so phase 1 volunteers who said 'yeah, go ahead and inject me with a completely novel vaccine produced on a yet to be approved platform, I am up for that.'

Some With Long-Haul COVID See Relief After Vaccination

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covi...-long-haul-covid-see-relief-after-vaccination

Social media groups dedicated to patients who are living with a condition that's been known as long-haul COVID-19 and that was recently named termed post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC) are buzzing with the news.

Patients are eagerly and anxiously quizzing each other about the vaccines and their effects. Some report that they've finally seen their symptoms resolve, giving hope that long-haul COVID-19 might not be a lifelong condition.

One of the largest [patient] communities, Survivor Corps, which has a public Facebook group with 159,000 members, recently took a poll to see whether there was any substance to rumors that these patients were feeling better after being vaccinated.

"Out of 400 people, 36% showed an improvement in symptoms, anywhere between a mild improvement to complete resolution of symptoms," said Diana Berrent, a long-haul COVID-19 patient who founded the group. Survivor Corps has become active in patient advocacy and is a resource for researchers studying the new condition.

As more results from the poll have come in, Berrent has updated her numbers. The total has changed, but the percentages are holding steady. As of March 18, out of a total of 635 responses, 293 (46%) say they've seen no change since vaccination; 255 (40%) report relief of their symptoms; and 87 (14%) say their symptoms have gotten worse.

update: 5 hrs since dose #2.

side effects: arm muscle is tightening up a bit, not unlike #1. Today is not a swim day on my schedule, so I’ll do some stretching or something instead to try to work out the kinks. For #1, the next day was worse, so either late tonight or early tomorrow I’ll expect to feel either better or worse, but probably not the same.

just got the #2 Pfizer. Expect similar symptoms as #1 (lethargic for 12-24 hours), otherwise g2g. T-7 days. Bucket trip should be a blast. :thumbsup:

Around hour 20 from J&J I started feeling "off." That progressed into not feeling great. But I was still able to motor through and get things done. Slept fine last night and back to normal today. 48 hours in and my arm soreness is mostly gone.

Interesting that 3 days after Pfizer second shot, the area near but not on the injection site is warmer to the touch...

It is a pity we haven't a culture that can effectively recognize this.
Sadly true. Being educated and an expert is now something to ridicule or to dismiss rather than something to strive for or to respect. So many people now think their 10 minutes on youtube watching some loud mouth makes them as qualified as people who spend their lives studying and working in a field.

The rapid development of these vaccines is nothing short of what we saw in the Apollo era, but on an even more accelerated timeline. I thank very much all the hard working scientists and engineers who achieved this mighty feat.

I mean no brain control chip is perfectly efficient. Every chip makes heat don't ya know. :p
Very true. And it’s important to make sure the vaccine site gets at least 3 hours of direct sunlight every day to keep it recharged. Don’t worry about rainy days: just shine a desk light on the site for at least 6 hours and you’ll be fine.

Very true. And it’s important to make sure the vaccine site gets at least 3 hours of direct sunlight every day to keep it recharged. Don’t worry about rainy days: just shine a desk light on the site for at least 6 hours and you’ll be fine.
Not sure if this is sarcasm or some kind of crazily false pseudoscience...

I would hope the :p smiley on my post made it entirely clear I was being 100% sarcastic for what it is worth...
Oops, I didn’t even notice your post... I’m tired, it’s been a long day... disregard!

Did the J&J vaccine, next day felt like I was having bad allergies- similar to what I get cleaning out a dusty space or mowing a field full of pungent weeds and a little fatigued. Not a big deal really, today still a bit of the same but less severe.

What's up with the J&J vaccine? Distribution is forecast to be down about 90% the next 2 weeks and there are reports of sites shutting down due to adverse reactions.

What's up with the J&J vaccine? Distribution is forecast to be down about 90% the next 2 weeks and there are reports of sites shutting down due to adverse reactions.

Someone at a contracted facility in Baltimore (Emerging Biosolutions) goofed and spoiled millions of doses by using an ingredient for the Astra Zeneca vaccine in the J&J product. This caused a dip in the supply.

These vaccines are nothing short of amazing. Produced in a year with astounding efficacy, they are truly medical miracles.
It blows my mind that it took *days* between getting the virus sequence and turning the stabilized spike protein sequence over to Moderna:
Capture-9.jpg

It blows my mind that it took *days* between getting the virus sequence and turning the stabilized spike protein sequence over to Moderna:

It's all extremely impressive. Much is owed to all of the work that went into SARS and MERS research. SARS vanished and MERS surprised us by becoming but a minor annoyance before vaccines were developed, but the scientific community was left with the knowledge needed to pounce quickly on the next coronovirus that posed a serious threat.

mRNA vaccines, meanwhile, became an 'overnight' success because of all the work that was done on them starting in the late 1990's.

mRNA vaccines, meanwhile, became an 'overnight' success because of all the work that was done on them starting in the late 1990's.

Also goes to show the importance of a strong and thriving base of fundamental research. I bet at the beginning of mRNA work and its underlying research there were many who questioned funding it and doubted its future utility. That's the point of fundamental research; you rarely know if what you will find will have any utility in the future, but if you don't do it you will certainly miss out on the next big leap in progress. Had we not had people researching atomic theory, general relativity, quantum mechanics, we never would've developed nuclear power, GPS, quantum computing etc. Einstein, Bohr et al. had no idea what their work would become at the time they were doing it, but we sure are thankful they did it!

View attachment 95433

They were locked and loaded to do it as @GaryM said above. The discovery of what allowed it, and just about everything to do with genetic engineering DNA stuff, like cloning etc., came about because someone was wondering how bacteria protects itself from viruses. A long read, but a good one if you're interested. The Code Breaker by Walter Isaacson

22 hrs after Pfizer #2:

My deltoid muscle steadily felt like it was cramping up as yesterday went on. I did feel like taking a late afternoon nap but that feeling passed after about an hour. By last night my arm felt like someone had punched it pretty hard.

This morning my arm is feeling a lot better, but not quite like normal. I probably will not try swimming this afternoon, but pushing the lawnmower around should help it. At this rate it should be normal by tonight or tomorrow morning.

It's all extremely impressive. Much is owed to all of the work that went into SARS and MERS research. SARS vanished and MERS surprised us by becoming but a minor annoyance before vaccines were developed, but the scientific community was left with the knowledge needed to pounce quickly on the next coronovirus that posed a serious threat..

All true. It would have taken longer with a novel virus type, since we might not know on which protein we should focus.

It is true that mRNA vaccines only met with their success because of prior research, I would point out that gene therapy vectors, which have also been under long development, were also quickly developed. The Sputnik V vaccine from Russia, which is actually safe and efficacious (a very lucky break for Mr Putin) was developed on the same time frame as the mRNA vaccines. @AKiss20 has the right of it. You never know what's going to be the next great thing. You just keep doing what you do, investigating problems that are interesting to you.

It's all extremely impressive. Much is owed to all of the work that went into SARS and MERS research. SARS vanished and MERS surprised us by becoming but a minor annoyance before vaccines were developed, but the scientific community was left with the knowledge needed to pounce quickly on the next coronovirus that posed a serious threat.

Also goes to show the importance of a strong and thriving base of fundamental research. I bet at the beginning of mRNA work and its underlying research there were many who questioned funding it and doubted its future utility. That's the point of fundamental research; you rarely know if what you will find will have any utility in the future, but if you don't do it you will certainly miss out on the next big leap in progress. Had we not had people researching atomic theory, general relativity, quantum mechanics, we never would've developed nuclear power, GPS, quantum computing etc. Einstein, Bohr et al. had no idea what their work would become at the time they were doing it, but we sure are thankful they did it!
Yes- Katalin Karik (link 1 below) had quite a few headwinds when came up with it in 1990. They found it could work in 1995 with mice (link 2). So there has been work in this field for some time as you guys have mentioned. The links give a better and more complete picture than these few words.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katalin_Karikó
[2] https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1690918/

Someone at a contracted facility in Baltimore (Emerging Biosolutions) goofed and spoiled millions of doses by using an ingredient for the Astra Zeneca vaccine in the J&J product. This caused a dip in the supply.
Well that answers the first part of my question but I'm still wondering about the 2nd part.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-north-carolina-johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-reactions/
https://www.wsj.com/articles/europe...cipients-of-j-js-covid-19-vaccine-11617992819

I had COVID in December, and just got my second shot. I'm invulnerable! I could now jump off the roof, and not get COVID.

Almost 48 hours since #2 for my mom and #1 for my wife and me.

My mom started feeling bad the next morning, and by 6 pm she thought she was going to die and afraid she would not. She kept feeling cold and would start shivering. My wife fed my mom some tomato soup and half a grilled cheese sandwich, then piled on a few blankets. After about 90 minutes she felt hot so we filled up an ice pack for her forehead. Finally by 10 pm she went to sleep. By the next morning she was feeling a LOT better but exhausted.

Yesterday my wife complained of a headache, general soreness and exhaustion. She is feeling better but still tired today.

I feel like I spent all day yesterday throwing hay bales and stacking them in the barn. Sore back, shoulders and arms. The injection site is extremely sensitive. Feeling much better today. Still a little soreness.

Not looking forward to #2 after watching my mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back