Get your NOTAMS!

Wrong. The runways open and close so fast at some airports it never hurts to ask (within reason. Busy at MCO we all know we'll get the east complex on the cworld arrival and the west complex on the piglt). That said, late at night it never hurts to ask.
When we check in with the atis we are almost guaranteed to be two behind. Many airports change the atis so fast it's unreasonable to be current. By the way, we never listen to atis. We read it.

Bull.

Irrelevant.
Wrong again. You have no clue what happens at hundreds of other major airports other than your home airport (both pilot & ATC). Go to MCO and see how often the west complex runways open and close. Go the Philly and see how often they swap the westerly runways. Go to Denver (or any of them) and see how often they change the Atis.

Wrong again. You have no clue what happens at hundreds of other major airports other than your home airport (both pilot & ATC). Go to MCO and see how often the west complex runways open and close. Go the Philly and see how often they swap the westerly runways. Go to Denver (or any of them) and see how often they change the Atis.

Still bull.

Still bull.
Say what you want. It happens all the time. Go look at Boston Atis. It's 50/50 you'll land on advertised runway.

You will never admit others could be right. Never.

My home ‘drome will easily do three ATIS changes per hour for wind shifts in thunderstorm season, and construction, disabled aircraft, runway inspection, snowplowing, coyote control, you name it, all sorts of things trigger a runway closure and an ATIS update all the time.

There’s quite a few days where they go well back around the alphabet a second time.

My home ‘drome will easily do three ATIS changes per hour for wind shifts in thunderstorm season, and construction, disabled aircraft, runway inspection, snowplowing, coyote control, you name it, all sorts of things trigger a runway closure and an ATIS update all the time.

There’s quite a few days where they go well back around the alphabet a second time.
While were on the subject is that 'digital robo voice ATIS' thing still around. Those things can run through the alphabet in an hour. Yeah, exageration but.... I went out to do some practice approaches a couple years ago. Dial up ATIS and get Charlie. Call up Approach with Charlie asking for some practice approaches and they say Delta is current. Get a clearance and some vectors and another speech or two. Turn, descend, cleared and all that and then Contact the Tower. Yo, Tower I'm at the FAF. Yo, plane, do you have Echo. It looks like what they do is cut the ATIS with all the usual stuff in addition to the weather. Then when the 'robot' detects changes in like say the wind, it changes the wind and gives out a new Letter. Controllers don't intervene unless something like the runway got broke or something. That was three ATIS codes inside about 10-15 minutes

Back