Gastons Website (LIVE)

Wow, Jesse,

You guys are really messin' w/ my head now.

I logged onto the gaston's fly in website over the weekend to check out the attendee list and I was gone. I was nowhere to be found even though I'd signed up a few weeks earlier.

So I sent you an e-mail and re-registered.

When I re-registered I also changed my user ID on the website to "tim & chris" since we both will be attending.

I just now checked the website and I'm still registered but now my name has mysteriously changed from "Tim & Chris" to "Tim Winters".

I changed it back but...

Whoaaa....

I think I'm going thru the twilight zone.

Tim,

I am a little bit confused by your explanation of the problem. Lets try and clarify what exactly happened.

When you say that you "re-registered" do you mean you made a new account on the website or you simply attended the event again? Registering for an account does not automatically register you for the fly-in--you do that by going to the Attend Event page.

Also keep in mind that changing your "Display Name" *does not* change your user name. The Display Name is simply the name that is displayed to other people. If you change your Display Name it will automatically change the name that appears on the attendee page.

I'm not sure what exactly happened. I suspect the problem may be more of a 'social' one in how I built the user interfaces instead of an actual logic problem. Can you replicate the problem you encountered?

Jesse

When you say that you "re-registered" do you mean you made a new account on the website or you simply attended the event again? Registering for an account does not automatically register you for the fly-in--you do that by going to the Attend Event page.

I clicked on "annual fly-in" then "register to attend fly-in" and filled in the blanks. Thus, re-registering.

Also keep in mind that changing your "Display Name" *does not* change your user name. The Display Name is simply the name that is displayed to other people. If you change your Display Name it will automatically change the name that appears on the attendee page

Yes, I know this...sorry, I used the wrong terminology in my post. I changed my display name when I re-registered to "Tim & Chris" when I came back a day later and checked the attendee list it had been changed to "Tim Winters" which was neither my display name or my user name. My user name is timwinters.

Can you replicate the problem you encountered?

God, I hope not...I don't want to re-re-register! ;)

And to think...I haven't done hallucinogenic drugs in 20 years. I would've sworn I was doing them last night!
:goofy:B)

Last edited:
I don't know what to tell you. Let me know if you have another problem. I don't see how that is possible--the initial display name is your first name. Damn computers :)

Maybe I missed it. Is there a place on the site where one can post that they have space available in their cabin?

Jesse, we'd like to support you folks on our new talk radio broadcast at www.GoldSealLive.com. How 'bout a free 30ish second commercial spot? I'd need the audio in .mp3 format ASAP. On the audio you could briefly describe the fly-in, give the dates, and pimp your website for more info. Get that done and we'll run it this coming Thursday evening during the 9:00pm (eastern) broadcast.

Contact me directly at skysports@earthlink.net

Sounds like that might be a good fit for us--but I don't really have the time to think about it or make such a thing. Anyone??

Sounds like that might be a good fit for us--but I don't really have the time to think about it or make such a thing. Anyone??

Out of the handful of PoA'ers I've actually had conversations with, I would say Kent wins the award for 'best radio voice' hands-down!

Out of the handful of PoA'ers I've actually had conversations with, I would say Kent wins the award for 'best radio voice' hands-down!
That--plus--we need to take into consideration the limited space at Gastons. This is a decision that I'd rather leave up to more senior attendees (Diana, Steve, Chip).

That--plus--we need to take into consideration the limited space at Gastons. This is a decision that I'd rather leave up to more senior attendees (Diana, Steve, Chip).

Jesse, we'd like to support you folks on our new talk radio broadcast at www.GoldSealLive.com. How 'bout a free 30ish second commercial spot? I'd need the audio in .mp3 format ASAP. On the audio you could briefly describe the fly-in, give the dates, and pimp your website for more info. Get that done and we'll run it this coming Thursday evening during the 9:00pm (eastern) broadcast.

Contact me directly at skysports@earthlink.net

I dunno... I personally feel like Gaston's is a mostly-PoA gathering. Though I welcome others, who will show up anyway just because Gaston's is there (and some are awesome, like the Beech 18 2 years ago and the brand-new-looking 1947 J-3 Cub last year), I don't think we need to broadcast it to the entire aviation world. The place is already bursting at the seams when we're there.

The Pilotcast did do an episode from Gaston's a couple of years ago, but it was more of a "Here's how fun fly-ins can be, go start your own!" rather than "Everyone come to Gaston's."

It's not a commercial endeavor anyway - Just a bunch of us getting together. Doesn't really require promotion, IMHO. We all know where and when. :yes:

I dunno... I personally feel like Gaston's is a mostly-PoA gathering. Though I welcome others, who will show up anyway just because Gaston's is there (and some are awesome, like the Beech 18 2 years ago and the brand-new-looking 1947 J-3 Cub last year), I don't think we need to broadcast it to the entire aviation world. The place is already bursting at the seams when we're there.
Well, I have posted about it on several forums over the years and enjoy people from other forums and organizations coming. I don't mind if it gets bigger with more and new people and more airplanes. I guess I don't see it as a mostly PoA thing.

If we need a voice, I nominate Kent's voice. :yes:

I'll also put a plug in for Kent's voice. I'll also mention that the Gaston's weekend is an official destination for my FBO/club, though we usually don't have more than two or three planes on the trips. Unless, of course, we can get enough people interested that we take the King Air! :) :yes: (We've done that before to Mackinac Island and the Bahamas.)

Well, I have posted about it on several forums over the years and enjoy people from other forums and organizations coming. I don't mind if it gets bigger with more and new people and more airplanes. I guess I don't see it as a mostly PoA thing.

True, but... My fear is that if we go advertising the hell out of it, it's going to be too big and the people I want to see (which are mostly from the various forums, mainly this one!) are gonna get squeezed out - Unless we can convince Gaston's to allow camping.

If we need a voice, I nominate Kent's voice. :yes:

Ugh - You don't want my voice this week. I am sick, sick, sick. :(

No freakin way would I camp there. :hairraise: I need Air Conditioning. :yes:
The temperature is very manageable at night. During the day? Airplanes make nice fans.

True, but... My fear is that if we go advertising the hell out of it, it's going to be too big and the people I want to see (which are mostly from the various forums, mainly this one!) are gonna get squeezed out
Hmmmmm. I've been thinking about this Kent. I don't see that we will be advertising about our fly-in a lot. And I don't think it will ever get "too big". I have tried to make sure that people from ALL over feel like they are wanted and welcome to join us and those people will add to our event, and maybe even to your experience or the experience of the people you care about. How would they feel if they read your comment about wanting to make it more exclusive? I don't feel that this is strictly a PoA fly-in and hope that others don't feel that way either.

If you are worried about being squeezed out, make sure you make your sleeping arrangements early. :)

Looking good Jesse, thanks for setting this up for all of us. :yes:

Several people have asked about the paved runways nearby. Could we go ahead and use Chip's old page on the nearby airports with paved runways?

It still looks like a testosterone event looking at the home page. ;)

There you go, Diana. I infused some estrogen into the home page for you. ;)

Make sure everyone knows- I did NOT charge for that, so no Commercial cert required!

Ton'ys college student who is also a CFI. You won't have a hard time convincing us that he couldn't pay for your services. :rofl:

dont you mean:
1)girls
2)airplanes
3)more girls

??

Jesse, is there any way we can make a link to Chip's video on the new web site for people to get a feel for the fly-in? It used to be on the old site, but I can't find it now.

Chip was kind enough to provide me with his 2005 video and it has been integrated into the site.

http://www.gastonsflyin.com/video.php

Back