Gastons Website (LIVE)

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
The Gastons website is now live at www.gastonsflyin.com ...Those of you that registered for an account on the beta site must do it again.

This website could use some more features and I appreciate feedback (there is bound to be a bug or two left). If you think that the website needs more information about something let me know. It is *WAY* more likely that it'll get done if you assist me by getting the images together or writing the words that should go on the page.

We still need a page that discusses the pattern that we recommend be used for departure and arrival. I would prefer that this is based on the base leg occurring DIRECTLY over the dam. I know a couple of you made a chart--but I need the chart with words and I need arrival and departure.

If there are any features (wiki) etc that you feel the site needs let me know. Please give me a chance to integrate it into the site before setting something of your own up. It makes way more sense to keep everything all on one site.

It was over four months ago that I volunteered to do this. I do regret it taking this long--but I have been pretty busy over the last four months.

(FYI--The website will have the Google Maps integration that the old one had. Nick volunteered to handle this part and I'm still waiting for him to finalize the code.)

I am looking forward to the 2008 fly-in...it gets better every year! :)

Yaaay! Thanks Jesse! Looks like you're up late (like me), so let me say thank you so much for your hard work! The site looks FANTASTIC!

Site looks nice Jesse, good job!

Have a question, are you going to put up the pics from the past years? I can't seem to find them on the new site.

Again, it looks really nice.

Thanks

Mark B

Looking good Jesse, thanks for setting this up for all of us. :yes:

This website could use some more features and I appreciate feedback (there is bound to be a bug or two left). If you think that the website needs more information about something let me know. It is *WAY* more likely that it'll get done if you assist me by getting the images together or writing the words that should go on the page.
Several people have asked about the paved runways nearby. Could we go ahead and use Chip's old page on the nearby airports with paved runways?

It still looks like a testosterone event looking at the home page. ;)

We still need a page that discusses the pattern that we recommend be used for departure and arrival. I would prefer that this is based on the base leg occurring DIRECTLY over the dam. I know a couple of you made a chart--but I need the chart with words and I need arrival and departure.
I think that we need to be careful in recommending something like this, and we need to make sure that "we" aren't mandating any procedures. I am certainly not going to tell anyone how to enter the pattern or depart. Perhaps some of the lawyers here can comment on that. I AM asking people to please not land at night for safety reasons. There could be people on the runway at night who aren't expecting an airplane to land on them, as well as other good reasons not to land there at night.

Thanks for all of your effort and hard work Jesse. :yes:

Last edited:
I think that we need to be careful in recommending something like this, and we need to make sure that "we" aren't mandating any procedures. I am certainly not going to tell anyone how to enter the pattern or depart. Perhaps some of the lawyers here can comment on that.

IANAL, but I don't think a recommended pattern would make anybody liable. At least not any more liable than we would already be for organizing the fly-in in the first place.

I attended Gastons last year, but I still haven't landed there. I have to say that if I were coming in for the first time, I would find a chart very reassuring. The approach can be made much less intimidating if you line yourself up on landmarks (like the dam and the ridge) instead of trying to figure all of that out on your own as a newbie. For instance, knowing in advance that you will feel low on downwind because you'll be up over that ridge would make it much less intense for a first timer.

Just my $.02.

I did not see any way to change your attendance info if your plans change. It may be there and I'm just stupid ...

I did not see any way to change your attendance info if your plans change. It may be there and I'm just stupid ...

Ken,

When logged in, click the Annual Fly-In page, then click the Attend Fly-In link on the left, and you can edit your details. What IS missing, best I can tell, is a way to REMOVE your registration (i.e., back out of attending.)

Have a question, are you going to put up the pics from the past years? I can't seem to find them on the new site.
This is a little trickier then it sounds but it is possible. I could work with Chip and see if we could make it happen. But no promises.

You are welcome to create a gallery to upload your pictures from previous years as Chip has already done.

This is a little trickier then it sounds but it is possible. I could work with Chip and see if we could make it happen. But no promises.

You are welcome to create a gallery to upload your pictures from previous years as Chip has already done.

I think the main gallery from last year was hosted by Joe Areeda.

Cool stuff, Jesse. I just re-registered since my registration on the beta site is no longer good as you mentioned in your post.

I'm definitely looking forward to making it out there if I can find a ride, all 925 miles. Ut oh, I shouldn't go down that path, Tony is suggest some other new extravagant way for me to get out there. Horse and buggy? :p

Safe flying,

I for one will not be flying my base leg over the dam.....
Could you provide some suggestions, reason, or input so we can develop a plan that works for everyone? The more of us on the same page--the safer this will be.

I'm definitely looking forward to making it out there if I can find a ride, all 925 miles. Ut oh, I shouldn't go down that path, Tony is suggest some other new extravagant way for me to get out there. Horse and buggy? :p

well dont discount hitchiking. maybe kent has a trucker friend that will be headed from the northeast to the midwest that time of year. Have you missed enough school to make the trip possible? :crossfingers:

The closest airport to 3M0 with scheduled airline service is Harrison County (HRO) which is a mere 30nm from Gaston's. If anyone needs a ride from HRO to 3M0 I can help with that, wx permitting. I'm sure others would be willing to help with an impromptu shuttle to HRO. Same deal with those landing on the paved runways at FLP or BPK.

Being the decent guy I am that's what I plan to do. ;)

At least during peak arrival periods or ride activity.

{just pulling your chain, Jesse, on the use of standard aviation terminology}

yea, entering crosswind over the Dam may be a decent idea though

The closest airport to 3M0 with scheduled airline service is Harrison County (HRO) which is a mere 30nm from Gaston's. If anyone needs a ride from HRO to 3M0 I can help with that, wx permitting. I'm sure others would be willing to help with an impromptu shuttle to HRO. Same deal with those landing on the paved runways at FLP or BPK.

They were supposed have scheduled service from Mountain Home to Little Rock. That's why there is a secure area at the main terminal and the little Napoleon guy chasing us away for looking in the wrong direction.

BTW, it's his agency that owns the self-serve fuel, which is there to put the FBO out of business.

well dont discount hitchiking. maybe kent has a trucker friend that will be headed from the northeast to the midwest that time of year. Have you missed enough school to make the trip possible? :crossfingers:

Actually, I just got off the phone with Gil and I may be able to fly out there with him in his 172, which would be awesome. If that works, I will reschedule my H period exam to later on in the week, so I won't have any exams except for the last two days....meaning my schedule will allow me to go. :)

Nice job Jess. I like the sectional background (I'm easily entertained). I know some members were asking about including pictures. Would/will it be possible to add video clips as well? It might even be neat to include a "visual" of the recommended approaches.

Nice job Jess. I like the sectional background (I'm easily entertained). I know some members were asking about including pictures. Would/will it be possible to add video clips as well? It might even be neat to include a "visual" of the recommended approaches.
Considering you were hanging out in the chat room while Richard and I discussed Chandelles for forty-five minutes, this point is well-proved. :D

Great job on the site, Jesse!

So, when ya gonna write a better version of chat software? :)

I was logged in, no one said I was paying attention the whole time. :p

I was not favorably impressed with the FBO at BPK. Comments on AirNav support my perception.

As far as I know there is no scheduled airline service into BPK, only Pt 135 air charter.

Mesa flies into HRO from DFW and MCI.

http://www.boonecountyairport.com/flight.html

They were supposed have scheduled service from Mountain Home to Little Rock. That's why there is a secure area at the main terminal and the little Napoleon guy chasing us away for looking in the wrong direction.

BTW, it's his agency that owns the self-serve fuel, which is there to put the FBO out of business.

Wow. I'm retarded. I meant crosswind.

This website could use some more features and I appreciate feedback (there is bound to be a bug or two left). If you think that the website needs more information about something let me know.
Jesse, this page:

http://www.gastonsflyin.com/viewevent.php?id=1

mentions this:

"The Fly-In is now in its fifth year and you can read how it all started here."

Will there be the page that was on the old site that has the history of the fly-in?

Let me know when you think would be a good time to post the link on other forums.

Thanks!

I've reregistered. Thanks Jesse!

I added some of my favorite Gaston's pictures on the web site. One of them is my favorite picture with Toby in it, courtesy of Chip, Ken, and Frank. :D

If there are any features (wiki) etc that you feel the site needs let me know. Please give me a chance to integrate it into the site before setting something of your own up. It makes way more sense to keep everything all on one site.

I feel sure I'll need a password reminder email feature. :dunno:

I feel sure I'll need a password reminder email feature. :dunno:
It'll have to be more of a password reset feature. I hash passwords and have no way to retreive them. I'll build it this week--easy feature.

im really loving the pictures. will get mine posted when i get home tonight!

Help!!!!!!

The site won't recognize my email addie. Keeps telling me it's invalid.:(

Did I get fired from my job and just don't know it yet????:dunno:

Help!!!!!!

The site won't recognize my email addie. Keeps telling me it's invalid.:(

Did I get fired from my job and just don't know it yet????:dunno:

Kaye,

PM me your e-mail address and I'll get it fixed tonight. I do some creative stuff to check e-mail addresses.

Jesse

I'm hoping Nick's Google Maps interaction will have the ability to show the departure and destination point for each registered attendee, in the popup window you get when you click on their name in the Attendee list. Would be cool to see where each person is arriving from.

I'm hoping Nick's Google Maps interaction will have the ability to show the departure and destination point for each registered attendee, in the popup window you get when you click on their name in the Attendee list. Would be cool to see where each person is arriving from.

That is the idea. With a line drawn between the two. If Nick doesn't finish it in the next week--I'll just write it. (hint hint)

Back