Gaston's Fly-In 2017 - Thursday Oct 12-Sunday Oct 15, 2017

I've landed there a few times before, but in singles. I'm a little worried about ground clearance and the +8000 lb ramp weight of the Conquest. A little different game and I don't need the risk.

See, we all knew you'd regret selling the 310. ;)

I've landed there a few times before, but in singles. I'm a little worried about ground clearance and the +8000 lb ramp weight of the Conquest. A little different game and I don't need the risk.

Ahhh, ok. Didn't know about the twin. Let us know if you need a ride in.

Ah, I see the Flyingcheesehead family is joining the ranks. Excellent. Bringing the Mooney too. Excellent.

The group is looking a bit smallish this year. I hope we have some more late deciders show up.

What about Winters? I see he and his lady went to 6Y9. Calling @timwinters

Ah, I see the Flyingcheesehead family is joining the ranks. Excellent. Bringing the Mooney too. Excellent.

The group is looking a bit smallish this year. I hope we have some more late deciders show up.

Little Timmy Winters doesn't frequent PoA much anymore, but I suspect he will come to Gaston's. He better! I like that guy!

I heard he may come down for the day on Saturday

As much as I'd like to attend, it's 6+ hours of flying and at least one fuel stop each way. Y'all have a good time and will someone, someday, please plan one of these for the west side of the country?

Dave Siciliano had no trouble with his King Air!
None at all! In and out like a pro!

And that was the year of "The Kimberly"
  • with her runway aeration footware,
  • excitement about overflying Paris,
  • Dave getting her to believe the pilot's relief tube mounted to the King Air was how he spoke to the ground crew,
  • and the plastic duck having the "best view" when she went flying with @Greg Bockelman and his Cessna 195,
  • and then the awesome comments of "It takes balls to fly around Gastons" (referring to the red spheres on the power lines), and before she went into her room of the cabin we were sharing, "So, Mike, How do you want me to wake you up?"

As much as I'd like to attend, it's 6+ hours of flying and at least one fuel stop each way. Y'all have a good time and will someone, someday, please plan one of these for the west side of the country?
If the Frankenkota can make it....

If the Frankenkota can make it....
It was downhill and I had a tailwind.

It is marginal for a 50 gallon 180. The Kota has 72 gallons and can run lean of peak. May as well stop and be safe.

Don't blow smoke up my ass! You and @JCranford don't really care about seeing me. You just want some more chocolate/mocha ice cream!!

Like "Y" said I'm hoping to make a day trip...Saturday or Sunday...depending on which looks like better flying.

But If that arshole @Clark1961 is there then I'm not coming. If that little pr*ck can't make it to 6y9 then I don't have any use for him!

:cool:

Just watch for a "low" pass...

Last edited:
Don't blow smoke up my ass! You and @JCranford don't really care about seeing me. You just want some more chocolate/mocha ice cream!!

Like "Y" said I'm hoping to make a day trip...Saturday or Sunday...depending on which looks like better flying.

But If that arshole @Clark1961 is there then I'm not coming. If that little pr*ck can't make it to 6y9 then I don't have any use for him!

:cool:

Just watch for a "low" pass...

You gave me the recipe, so I don't need you for ice cream.

For some sick reason, I kind of enjoy your company. Man, that was hard to type.

will someone, someday, please plan one of these for the west side of the country?

You realize that there are no official organizers, right? Gaston's organization/organizers has morphed over the years...somewhat of a free-for-all

i.e...if you want a fly-in out west then organize it! No one's going to do it for you.

We'll all be waiting!

You realize that there are no official organizers, right? Gaston's organization/organizers has morphed over the years...somewhat of a free-for-all

i.e...if you want a fly-in out west then organize it! No one's going to do it for you.

We'll all be waiting!
We flew in to Vale, Oregon. Where was Timmy? hmm? it was toooooooo farrrrrr.

Hmmmm...I didnt hear about that one so I guess he was being a d!ckhead!

It would only have been a 9+45 flight no wind. No hill for a stepper... (right)

Hmmmm...I didnt hear about that one so I guess he was being a d!ckhead!

It would only have been a 9+45 flight no wind. No hill for a stepper... (right)
No ones fault but your own that you have a slow airplane.

You *are* bringing ice cream, right? Right??

Maaaaaaaybe...

No ones fault but your own that you have a slow airplane.

What would be cool is to have a mountain flying seminar/fly-in. Maybe at the school up at Fort Collins. I've never flown in the mountains and don't plan to until attending a mountain flying class.

Maaaaaaaybe...

What would be cool is to have a mountain flying seminar/fly-in. Maybe at the school up at Fort Collins. I've never flown in the mountains and don't plan to until attending a mountain flying class.

Wise decision.

That mountain flying idea is a pretty good one. Something I've been wanting to do...

Continuing the thread drift:
Colorado Pilot Association does an excellent Mountain Flying School out of KBJC (Broomfield, CO) twice per year. Plenty of nearby hotels and such, though Fort Collins has that, too.

Usually about fifty attendees. If y'all sign up early, we could dominate the class! Add an extra day for POA shenanigans and it'd be like a festival fo aviation fun!

Continuing the thread drift:
Colorado Pilot Association does an excellent Mountain Flying School out of KBJC (Broomfield, CO) twice per year. Plenty of nearby hotels and such, though Fort Collins has that, too.

Usually about fifty attendees. If y'all sign up early, we could dominate the class! Add an extra day for POA shenanigans and it'd be like a festival fo aviation fun!

Only problem with the Colorado mountain flying is... No little backcountry strips! You learn how to fly *around* the mountains, but not *into* them (and no, I don't mean crashing into them.)

The highlight of doing it in McCall, ID where I did was getting to fly in and out of a half dozen of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and land and walk around. Some of the neatest, yet most educational, flying I've ever done.

Only problem with the Colorado mountain flying is... No little backcountry strips! You learn how to fly *around* the mountains, but not *into* them (and no, I don't mean crashing into them.)

The highlight of doing it in McCall, ID where I did was getting to fly in and out of a half dozen of the most beautiful places I've ever seen, and land and walk around. Some of the neatest, yet most educational, flying I've ever done.
There are a few BLM strips and some private/negotiate access back country strips in Colorado. They are widely spaced compared to the area around McCall. Anyway, if someone wants to learn back country flying it is doable around here. They are generally higher elevation than the Idaho stuff so that adds another challenge.

All that said, the CPA course is about high density altitude operations, weather, operating near terrain, and airports sited in terrain. I'm sure that if you discussed it with an instructor and had a capable aircraft the BLM strips could be included. Might have to shop around a little bit on the instructor part of that.

Also the DNR has been known to land in or near high altitude lakes on occasion so that might be an option. Aircraft reuseability has been a problem in those operations which is something to keep in mind.

This is 5 gallons of beer almost done fermenting. Hope everybody comes thirsty.

fhDMsxUOw3PN3oVVg95Gk7ZRsf5O5-TPYVYVonTwH5h_zTzN620QAgNm490mS1k0vik-0RnEUUkYsczdhIozYuAAUCgrjW6OaBGoyf1SpqhT6pZAKKYMHpApbhVDSw3ZYYJGbhnrTIIZFO9DvTqAoK9YihFw1EReKjqZ37c_bzQwDeRwGdX0mAxMsOdAWEyonaj5N6WoavFgq8_I-3fuLQPA-zg4XTdH4hWln-vpFAl-bHc2a_ZD_oTK-xEFR-VSllRxBomJ20U18axsPqqKnkqiym5yCS3-AXPIdkW2Ap237TRObfz-uu9ghxlsY9ASC2av-b2gGTXTAmkHKzlDk_hIMITaxAChpQuq66HyEOpHiQL2O0AmWnSH53jqzZbs3J-r6RcEKhri_e01kVDfO-a-SsM4hO7jxmSysWQChHmUW3lrREENgSzbEAGgEUMdfwyuCoCAk7t3rznHSSgL-3r_qo6ve-0OAxMch2sZRktK4Orp6OBvMLnFpHS0fl_-54BVshgjT6PqIq-cOKbgCKacnnPIqssAGHDalX-LAFDECWIAZEp1pinlMwlEOjH54V4-5qxqn7rvDx4xNe7xVYTHKHcBEUEggCUz65gYDcGqoacdYNcM=w500-h888-no

Back