Gaston's Fly-In 2016 - Thursday Oct 13 - Sunday October 16

Looks like we aren't going to be able to get out of Chicago until afternoon which puts into Gaston's at midnight or so. Removing us from Friday dinner :-/

======= TO UPDATE, COPY FROM HERE, INCLUDING THIS LINE, INTO A NEW MESSAGE

Gaston's 2016 Shared Meal Plan

Copy and paste between/including the ===== lines to add on what you're bringing.

9/30 update: I have reviewed the items people have signed up to bring and have bolded the items I think we could still need more of to make future sign-ups easier.

We definitely need more sign-ups for meats (a few people signing up for a pound or two of ground beef would be perfect, can be used for EITHER meal).

Please look at what others have signed up to bring before you sign up... and use common sense! We need more hamburger than we do lettuce or onion, for example, so if two people are bringing lettuce, look for something else to augment, that hasn't been picked. If everything looks well-covered, sign up to bring more beer!

THURSDAY NIGHT:
Pizza feed, as usual (pitch in some cash, we order pizza)

FRIDAY NIGHT:
"Taco Whatever" -- sign up to bring fixin's and you can assemble beef, chicken, or veggie nachos, soft or crunchy tacos, salad, or burrito wraps from all the ingredients sitting out on the table.

THINGS WE NEED (pick a couple items): ground beef, fajita beef or chicken, chicken breast, tortilla chips, beans (refried, kidney, charro beans, etc.), taco sauce, lots of salsa,avocados, onions and mints, sour cream, shredded cheese, lettuce, jalapenos, sliced black olives, beer, soft drinks, dessert, plates/solo cups/napkins/plastic cutlery are always welcomed, anything else you want that you don't see here.

JCranford: Guacamole,Cheese, pico de gallo
TangoWhiskey /Lady Red: ground beef, salsa, sour cream, Costco box of plastic cutlery and stack of plates.
TerryD/Kim: Fajita Chicken, Shredded Cheese, Large Tortillas.
ARFlyer: Seasoning, Tortillas & Shells, Cheese, Beer
TimWinters: Tim's chocolate ice cream & salsa
TimMyers: Onions, Sour Cream, Jalapenos, Black Olives
6PC and I will bring: ground beef, chips, salsa, lettuce
Tim Blake: Salad, Dessert
Ted and Laurie (plus Robert, Genevieve, and Beatrix): 5 lbs ground beef total to use Friday/satuday, tortilla chips, salsa, taco sauce
OkieFlyer & Christina: Beans, salsa, avocados, lettuce

SATURDAY:
Burgers and hot dogs and sides

THINGS WE NEED (pick a couple items): ground beef hamburger patties, hot dogs, chicken patties, veggie burgers if you're vegetarian (bring what you want!), hot dog and hamburger buns, potato chips, potato and/or macaroni salad, sliced cheese, bacon, mustard, mayo, ketchup (if you want to be publicly mocked and flogged), relish, onions and mints, beer, soft drinks, dessert, plates/solo cups/napkins/plastic cutlery are always welcomed, anything else you want that you don't see here

JCranford: Applewood dogs, buns, homemade pie, beer
TangoWhisky / Lady Red: buns, chips, bacon
TerryD/Kim: Sliced Cheese, Mustard/Mayo/Ketchup, Soft Drinks, Plates/Cups/Spoons/Forks.
ARFlyer: Beer
TimWinters: 5# premade hamburger patties, potato and macaroni salads.
DanaD: Beer, special carrot salad
TimMyers: Brats, Mets, and Spicy Sausage Dogs with Buns
6PC: hamburger patties (we'll bring 2 packs of 4), chips, dessert of some sort
And of course beer (home-made and regular)
Tim Blake: Buns/Chips
Bruce & Sue: (?) dessert stuff (? our headcount?)
OkieFlyer & Christina: Hot Dogs, chips, dessert, soft drinks, beer

======== COPY TO HERE, INCLUDING THIS LINE, PUT YOUR STUFF IN BETWEEN

Tdub is right... Just got the note that jcranford aka jcray aka jcrizzy is headed that way in a ground dwelling vehicle

Overcast at 400, looks like all day will be Marginal at best.

Tdub is right... Just got the note that jcranford aka jcray aka jcrizzy is headed that way in a ground dwelling vehicle

Oh my! Be careful! Those things are dangerous! I hear about accidents all the time on the news! I can't imagine the crazy fool that would speed down the road at 70 MPH within mere feet of other cars and obstacles!

Okieflyer, wife, and baby will be driving in on Friday. Should be there around noon or early afternoon. Forecast tomorrow looks bad over Gaston's, and the clouds are low today at home. We'll just bite the bullet and hit the road instead of waiting around and hoping for a window.

So, since we're driving, we can haul much more stuff than we can in the plane. If we need to bring anything besides the food we signed up for, let me know. I'll throw in my 12x12 canopy. I have a couple fold up tables, do we need those?

DuPuis family is en route, going IFR...

(I follow roads)

Google Maps says it would only take me 12.5 hours of non-stop driving one-way...

LOL...

Yeah, I looked. Because I'd love to see y'all.

Not gonna happen. :)

I'll be driving up after work because of the weather. Gastons is only about 45 mins away so I'll plan to be there around 5:30/6pm. #NoPlaneFlyIn

On our way...currently VFR and not looking forward to IFR even though we are driving. I want to keep the sun. :(:(:(
Should be rolling in at about 7:00 p.m. tonight

What cabin and time for the pizza party? Who gets there early and can host?

Davis part arrives about 5pm, Teresa and I about 8pm. We can stop and pick up a couple of fresh hot pizzas on our way in if desired, or just pitch in cash when we get there.

We will arrive about 6. I need to feed kids shortly after arrival so will likely grab some food on way in. If you want us to grab something for any of you or if you'd rather wait tile closer to y'alls arrival so it's hot and fresh that's cool too. Just text Ted at 8122432585 if we can get anything for you.

Timmy, & Timmy and guest are on the premises

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I vote for pizza at 8 pm or later...cause we will be there by then...and it would be nice for Troy & Teresa to be there too. :)

Terry and Kim are here. Was starving after that long...8hr "flight"! We grabbed a bite at the restaurant but will certainly enjoy some pizza later tonight with the crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Troy is picking up 4 pizzas so there will be plenty to eat when everyone get in later tonight. Sounds like Cabin 5 is the eating place, around 8:00-8:30ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys feel free to call me if I need to stop and pick something up enroute in the morning. As mentioned, we'll be getting there around noon Friday via automobile. I'd be glad to make a pit stop if I need to.

Andrew (405) 428-Nineteen Forty Five

Diana mentioned weather issues for Bob.... we have 17-18 folks here now, none flew in. TAF's were horribly mistaken and optimistic. Weather was LIFR all day! Even driving required an instrument rating, or scud running, due to mountain obscuration.

35e9e7a5cde58d76b1d416818b425346.jpg

There are no airplanes on the ramp here at Gaston's, but we're all here and having the traditional Thursday night pizza party.

8758a5ff918f011156a7459ec4868fdc.jpg

546ad9ca4ee4fe8db317c378e98aa1cd.jpg

463206e8b0a4de194ff8068392866c0b.jpg

d281151834c824f7695d950ee3a2d693.jpg

Oops, sorry for the bad picture timing Sharon. But know this: everyone in the room did the same thing with their spoon while eating Tim's excellent chocolate ice cream.

Troy, what time will we have the tacos Friday? I need to set aside some time to cut up the onions and the black olives.

We are officially the first to get to Gastons by tow truck!

Upper radiator hose blew out in the BMW. Tim and Tim were kind enough to come get us as we were only 45 minutes away. Tow truck showed up a few hours later.

What a great group. Not only do we all drive here when we can't fly (whatever the reason), but there's never a question that we'll go rescue each other. This is a family reunion, right here.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.JPG
    IMG_0329.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 41
Wish I was there...

OK, next year I'm coming, no matter if I fly, ride, drive, walk........

Back