Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

Will someone have wheels, or can someone secure a Gastons van to pick us up from Mountain Home Friday evening?

There is a good chance I'll beat sunset but I'm not going to risk a prop strike with the Malibu.

Yes, we can borrow a van or somebody's car to pick you up at Mountain Home. How will you reach us with an ETA? You can text me... you have my number.

Jesse has in-air SMS capability, although that might be limited at FL190. FlightAware is a good backup.

Time for an Iridium subscription in the Malibu!

What's "Mountain Home"?
I was thinking I would be flying into BPK or FLP and thumbing it to 3M0

Edit.er... I see it is the name of the actual town.

Last edited:
What else is needed? The "stars are aligning" and I should be there Saturday morning. I can bring about anything.

Hey, Jesse... I know you were planning on coming in at a time that might get you there after dark. For you or anybody else that ends up at Mountain Home (KBPK), if there's a strong westerly wind you might have to find an alternate. Runway 23 is NOTAM'd closed for night landings on all approaches.

KBPK : NIGHT LANDING: RWY 23 NA. 08 SEP 23:09 2015 UNTIL 06 APR 23:09 2016 ESTIMATED.

WTF is that about? Building a cell tower that's not lit yet maybe?

September through April? Sheesh.

My guess is this obtruction NOTAM is the reason:

BPK OBST TOWER LGT (ASR 1045904) 362055.10N0922358.10W (3.6NM ESE BPK) 1413.1FT (349.1FT AGL) OUT OF SERVICE 151004

With GPS mins anywhere from 1200-1400 feet, that is likely the cause. Obay the approach NOTAMs, but stay north of the extended centerline of 5/23 if you're landing at night under emergency authority.

There will be some RA/TSRA late Thursday, early Friday. If one of you early arrivals could update runway conditions on this thread Friday AM, that would be great!

Friday's looking kinda iffy coming in from the NE so Ed and I have moved our arrival up to tomorrow.

I'm not sure NW AR can handle 72 hours of our presence without imploding.

I guess we'll see!

:goofy:

There will be some RA/TSRA late Thursday, early Friday. If one of you early arrivals could update runway conditions on this thread Friday AM, that would be great!

Wilco, but I've never seen that runway have issues except at the very SW end where there's a low spot...and that doesn't come into play unless you land REALLY long and flirt with an overrun. It drains well....I think it's pretty sandy soil...

What's "Mountain Home"?
I was thinking I would be flying into BPK or FLP and thumbing it to 3M0

Edit.er... I see it is the name of the actual town.

Yep, that is the name of a town to the north east.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Cirrus! Fly that baby into 3M0! It is 3,000'!

Last edited:
Yep, that is the name of a town to the north east.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Cirrus! Fly that baby into 3M0! It is 3,000'!

Fly me up to Mountain Home on Sat and I will take you for a spin.

It will be an uncertified spin. Those are really fun.

Usually followed by an aggressive and panicked yank on the big red T handle located confidently between the pilot and copilots throne.

Brisket #1, and the pork shoulder just came off 14 hours of smoking. Time to wrap and rest... Two more briskets still in the smoker...

a9c9750797445495704046900a59bbab.jpg

21fff366644cbf2a69bc93e4c23e0974.jpg

Smoked dead pig is a heavenly thing.

That looks like it has a chute on it too..... Nice touch!

We'll bring macaroni salad!

Thanks Ted and Laurie!! Need anything special for the little people / pilots in training?

Okay, we're probable for arriving Friday evening. Presuming the weather is VFR at Gastons before dark, we'll land there. If it's not, we'll wait it out and land at Mountain Home and call for a ride. We filled the tanks this evening. I would have been night current too, except I forgot that the regs call for "full stop" and only did touch and goes. Damnation! Hey, this'll be our first landing on grass with N284M, though he's been to a PoA flyin here before!

Area happenings:

October 9 ** 2nd Friday Event – Joplin, Mo – Joplin Regional Airport (KJLN) 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM; Join Alpha Air Center for their second Friday Lunch. The menu theme varies with the season. For more information contact Megan Atkins 417-623-3113 or email matkins@alphaaircenter.com

October 10 – Springfield, MO – Downtown Airport (3DW) EAA Chapter 821 Fly-in Breakfast served 7:30 AM to 11AM Contact: Larry Nelson, Chapter President, 417-849-2997 contact me for event flyer

October 10 – Carlisle, AR – Carlisle Municipal Airport (4M3) EAA Chapter 122 UL will host a Fly-in / Drive-in Breakfast 8:30 – 11:30 AM. This is a recurring event on the second Saturday of each month. Come to socialize and have a very good meal for a modest donation. For additional information go to: eaaul122.org I need a phone contact for this event.

October 10 – Cookson, OK – Tenkiller Airpark (44M) BBQ lunch Fly-in 11:00 – 2:00. Fly-In, Walk-In or Drive-In. Location: Mary Kelly Park South Side of Airports. Menu: Jody’s BBQ - best BBQ you ever tasted. Donations, to benefit, Stilwell Flint #11, Masonic Lodge, projects. Unicom 122.8, Park near the Windsock/segmented circle on the south side of the Airpark, near the T-Hangers. Contact: Val 918-457-4774 Contact me for flyer.

So I'm thinking Carlsile for breakfast, Tenkiller for lunch and then a sensible dinner at Gastons......

Okay, we're probable for arriving Friday evening. Presuming the weather is VFR at Gastons before dark, we'll land there. If it's not, we'll wait it out and land at Mountain Home and call for a ride. We filled the tanks this evening. I would have been night current too, except I forgot that the regs call for "full stop" and only did touch and goes. Damnation! Hey, this'll be our first landing on grass with N284M, though he's been to a PoA flyin here before!

Close enough for government work. 3 approaches with wheels touching, good to go. Damn, I miss the days when Ron Levy would counter back and site how many FARS I broke. ;)

Weather is looking good for the weekend! :happydance::heli:

http://www.usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?Submit=Go&sta=KFLP&state=AR

Last edited:
So I'm thinking Carlsile for breakfast, Tenkiller for lunch and then a sensible dinner at Gastons......

The bacon at 4M3 is "fried" in oil. SOOO GOOD!! (And likely very bad for you - don't tell Doc Bruce ..)

Ya'll come!

Thanks Ted and Laurie!! Need anything special for the little people / pilots in training?

We're going to bring food and supplies for them. At some point we'll likely need to borrow a cabin for naptime.

Oh, and volunteers to hold babies! :)

Looks like the aerial invasion of Gastons has begun. They just posted a pic of a certain C421 from Topeka on their Facebook page...

(By the way - you need to mail in that registration card to the feds ...)

Back