Gaston's Fly In 2015 - October 8-11th

You might want to check out mci as an option as well. Maps say it takes about 1/2 hour longer to drive than STL but could be a good option depending on flight times and airfare.

If we were driving down you could go with us. We will have the backseat out of the 170 and probably not enough useful load for all 4 of us anyway.

Looking forward to seeing you there!
Yes, we're considering that too. Thanks to Tim and Ed, I think we have lodging sorted.

Does anybody have one of the really large cabins rented? We need to pick where to host the Saturday night dinner--35-40 people.

Does anybody have one of the really large cabins rented? We need to pick where to host the Saturday night dinner--35-40 people.

pretty sure I do along with theboys. Will confirm which one it is exactly.

If we have most of the cabins in the cul de sac by the pool, eh not overflow outside and enjoy the food outdoors? We could also hijack the picnic tables near where we gather in the runway and bring them over.

agreed! (assuming suitable weather...I'm under strict orders not to look)

No big either way. You can fly or just bring scuba gear ;)

Not saying which ...

I agree, outdoors would be ideal for the dinner, up at the flight line. An indoor option (Jesse's cabin, perhaps) will be a backup, should weather require it.

With lows in the 50's and highs in the 70's, weather should be ideal! Might have to pack a jacket for the mornings! NICE!

brian];1905745 said:
No big either way. You can fly or just bring scuba gear ;)

Not saying which ...

Right?
I am amazed just how much either rain or sun they are forecasting.
It is really either awesome or devastating.

I don't know which forecast you guys are scoping out, but the one for nearby Flippin, AR looks near ideal.

http://www.wunderground.com/q/zmw:72634.1.99999

Shhhhhhhh!
Tim is forbidden to know the weather that is forecast as it may jinx the thing.

That is why I am excited or agitated that it is either going to be very clear or possibly major storms in the area. Not saying which ;)

I don't know how to fly in VMC.

If it's VFR, we might have to scrub.

I don't know how to fly in VMC.

If it's VFR, we might have to scrub.

Most planes are equipped with a clear plastic for looking out, if you raise your head about 6 inches you should be able to find it. ;)

Most planes are equipped with a clear plastic for looking out, if you raise your head about 6 inches you should be able to find it. ;)

Right, but how am I supposed to figure out where anything is without a magenta line of death? Or at least a monochrome grey line of peril? This is too much work. :)

Have Laurie fly! Duh!

Well she is a much better pilot than me so I'm all for that, but two issues.

1) the 310 requires landing prior to stopping
2) she's used to 100-1/8 takeoffs, icing for 2.5 hours, and an NDB approach to a boat. Again, no VFR

Could someone add a Cat IIIC at Gaston's? That'd be great, we can hand fly those all day long. :D

2) she's used to 100-1/8 takeoffs, icing for 2.5 hours, and an NDB approach to a boat. Again, no VFR

Could someone add a Cat IIIC at Gaston's? That'd be great, we can hand fly those all day long. :D

Well, I have a Cat - anyone else? All we need is 2 more ...

(I hate the cat - you are free to use it as an aiming point for touchdown ...)

Surly you have synthetic vision?

I'm not going to make it (again) this year. Prior commitment here.

Good answer, Pushbutton flying is the new in thing :)

I'm guessing you're flying one of them new fangled homebuilt things, so you probably have an autopilot that isn't a complete pile of dog****.

I, too, fly a homebuilt. Some feller whose last name I can't recall (first name Clyde) built mine in '67 and put in a Century III Crash-O-Matic, the finest autosuicide device available at the time. Since I don't have the luxury of being able to hit auto at 200 AGL and pull out the newspaper, I actually need to fly the sum'itch, and thus need SV if I want to feel like I'm in X-Plane. :D

For those flying in Friday it looks like better chances of moisture. Just depends on how much and what ceilings are like to know if it's going to be a problem for those VFR. I'm coming in Thursday, and Thursday and Sunday look great!

We are successfully flying post annual! Will have the EZ-up 12x12 with us. See you all on Saturday.

Anyone have a couch I can crash on Saturday night?

If eveything works out I can possibly be at dinner Saturday night. I'll be driving up from LR or Fayetteville depending on which flight out of Houston I can jumpseat.

We are successfully flying post annual! Will have the EZ-up 12x12 with us. See you all on Saturday.

Oh good, we won't be the only twin there. :)

Anyone have a couch I can crash on Saturday night?

If eveything works out I can possibly be at dinner Saturday night. I'll be driving up from LR or Fayetteville depending on which flight out of Houston I can jumpseat.

I am planning on coming up Sat AM, then leaving 11am ish. I can pick you up in LR Sat AM if you don't want to drive. But you'd have to find transpo back LR or wherever. Maybe Brian] can since he will be flying right over Lit on the way home.

Just a thought

Last edited:
I am planning on coming up Sat AM, then leaving 11am ish. I can pick you up in LR Sat AM if you don't want to drive. But you'd have to find transpo back LR or wherever. Maybe Brian] can since he will be flying right over Lit on the way home.

Just a thought

Thanks for the offer but I can't leave Houston until 1pm. :yes:

My type checkride is that morning. This is what has f'd up my Gastons plans this year. I'm pushing it being there for dinner Saturday night. Only way I've figured out to do it is get a rental car and drive. If I could have gotten closer, like Harrison or Branson, I'd ask someone if they could fly over and get me. Unfortnantely no one has flights on Saturday...:dunno:

I thought about driving up from Houston since I'm finished with training, however, the drive is 10 hours easy.

1pm from Houston is kinda late.

I'll be leaving 4m3 around 11am if VMC. Let me know if you come in early...

brian];1906311 said:
1pm from Houston is kinda late.

I'll be leaving 4m3 around 11am if VMC. Let me know if you come in early...

Yeah, the best I can do is an arrival time of 5/6pm. Flight doesn't get into XNA until 3pm and its roughly a 3hr drive to 3M0.

Yeah, the best I can do is an arrival time of 5/6pm. Flight doesn't get into XNA until 3pm and its roughly a 3hr drive to 3M0.

Bro, I'm sure someone can slide over there and keep the airfoil spinning whilst you jump in. That's like a 20 min flight to Gastons. Or, 30 in my Archer!:yesnod:

Bro, I'm sure someone can slide over there and keep the airfoil spinning whilst you jump in. That's like a 20 min flight to Gastons. Or, 30 in my Archer!:yesnod:

Yeah, what he said... you fly in to XNA, one of us comes and picks you up, and you get to FLY into Gaston's!

Type rating in what??

BBQ update: meats (brisket/pork shoulder) got trimmed and dry rubbed in their respective spices, and are now wrapped tightly and in a 24 hour rest period prior to meeting their maker early Wednesday morning. That'll give them time to finish, rest, and then be vacuum packed before our Thursday departure for 3M0.

Yeah, what he said... you fly in to XNA, one of us comes and picks you up, and you get to FLY into Gaston's!

Type rating in what??

If someone wants to come get me and take me back Sunday, I'll spot you the gas. It will save me money over the rental car. Whoever does I'll need their number. Since I'm jumpseating there is a possibility I won't make the flight.

Type rating in a Embraer ERJ-145. :D I would fly it in but there is a limitation on hard surface runways only

If someone wants to come get me and take me back Sunday, I'll spot you the gas. It will save me money over the rental car. Whoever does I'll need their number. Since I'm jumpseating there is a possibility I won't make the flight.

Type rating in a Embraer ERJ-145. :D I would fly it in but there is a limitation on hard surface runways only

With all the aircraft there - you might just trade phone numbers with someone that intends to be there all day Saturday. (Maybe someone sampling a few of those home made beers.) Just call the designated drinker and he (or she) can dispatch a sober pilot and aircraft ...

By the way, I would estimate about 30-40 minutes to KXNA each way. It is a little bit further than it looks from Gastons. Not quite as far as KLIT - maybe 5-10 minutes different. (Working the math at a conservative 135KTS.)

BBQ update: meats (brisket/pork shoulder) got trimmed and dry rubbed in their respective spices, and are now wrapped tightly and in a 24 hour rest period prior to meeting their maker early Wednesday morning. That'll give them time to finish, rest, and then be vacuum packed before our Thursday departure for 3M0.

Troy, how do you think we are doing on side dishes? do we need to bring a couple? Or is there something else I can bring?

Back