Gastons 2013 Attendance

Had 60 or so here from Friday thru Sunday. Lots of Carbon Cubs, etc. Good cause - Wounded Warriors.

On another note... I understand the person that needs internet acess while at Gastons so as to meet commitments, but the rest of you... When in the Ozarks, "Online" refers to a situation a trout finds itself in, and has nothing to do with bits and bytes :wink2:

I personally can't wait to go offline. I will have devices for taking and viewing pictures only (and text messaging PIREPS).

I am too, but did not know they offered trip insurance. I know for a fact they don't insure or finance airplanes... I asked!

Update for Troy / other USAA members:

1. Trip insurance covers only "covered incidents". Covered things include flight delays of more than 24 hours, death or illness of a family member etc. They completely refund all the money you spent on the trip.

2. You must book trip insurance with USAA 21 days or less after you spend the money on the hotel / air / car / whatever.

3. An add-on called "cancel for any reason" can be added. My example would fall under this category because "wind speed is 40 knots on the ground and we can't fly the 182 safely" is not a covered incident. Note: they only refund you 75% of what you are out of pocket.

I would pay the following for numbers 1 and 3:

Airfare (non refundable): $400
Hotel deposit (assumed non refundable): $180

Total requested coverage: $580

Cost: $59

So I can choose to pay $59 before I leave to possibly get back $435. I would still be out of pocket $204. The airline charges $200 now to cancel (with a one year credit on the remainder) and Gastons would probably refund my hotel, so it doesn't make sense to buy trip insurance.

I don't think it counts as a "horror story" when the policy is clearly stated up front.

So I can choose to pay $59 before I leave to possibly get back $435. I would still be out of pocket $204. The airline charges $200 now to cancel (with a one year credit on the remainder) and Gastons would probably refund my hotel, so it doesn't make sense to buy trip insurance.

Guess again! That has not been their policy in the past.

I don't think it counts as a "horror story" when the policy is clearly stated up front.

I don't disagree, Tony... but if one is expecting otherwise, and has a weather delay, it can become a horror story to the individual trying to get their deposit back. A lot of people don't read the policy (their problem, not Gaston's).

Always a challenge when one flies their own plane to a destination resort. Some places will let me move things back a day, but generally don't refund all money if I can't make it on the day reserved. Headed to the Bahamas this August. Green Turtle Club will allow me to move it if I call ahead, but no refund. Atlantis is less flexible.

Best,

Dave

I don't know if it will be a coin toss or a thumb wrestling match or what - but there will definitely be some fighting over who gets to see the flight deck!

Thanks a million.

I don't know if it will be a coin toss or a thumb wrestling match or what - but there will definitely be some fighting over who gets to see the flight deck!

Thanks a million.

Based on that photo in your blog, looks like you'll be happy in the baggage compartment. :thumbsup: :lol:

Attachments

• Stow_Away_Kimberly_small-700x300.jpg
    Stow_Away_Kimberly_small-700x300.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 25
Looking forward to seeing y'all next Friday. It'll be great to have some company on the trip.

Best,

Dave

Friday. Will. Be. The. Best. Day. Ever.

And to think the "nicest" airplane I've been in (during flight) is probably a V-Tail Bonanza (Angel Flight), a Piper Lance (I was safety pilot), a Skywagon (Mountain Flying Training Seminar) or a Centurion (my friend's plane).

I've been flying since 2011 and have never even been inside a Multi - on the ground - let alone during flight! Well I guess the Avanti coults but that was just for a second to take a photo of me in the captain's seat.

We can try to get some folks up Saturday, weather permitting. It's just a big SUV with wings and props (g).

Best,

Dave

Should I bring along my own folding camp chair?

And what other items that I might have thought of?

Should I bring along my own folding camp chair?

And what other items that I might have thought of?

In looking at all the photos from years past it would appear that everyone brought their own chairs. I doubt I'll bring one all the way from CA though. Someone mentioned they will lend you a car and there is a WalMart or other type of major store close by if you forget anything.

Past years have brought rain on occasion and low to mid 90s at the top of the day. Afternoon Siesta may be in order for some folks; some for heat; others, for side effects of previous evening (g). Spike can fill you in on the night dam gathering of some.

Best,

Dave

I suspect there will be some of that, and it's reasonable to anticipate some of everything else as well. We've been flying into Gastons since 1968 and have seen almost everything except snow.

Galoshes? I thought low 80's?

I'm lookin' better... May make it!

Fingers crossed.

When we ate at the restaurant the catch of the day was hepatitis.

EPxnrv7.jpg

It looks like, weather permitting, I may actually be able to make it. I'm scheduling the 172 and an instructor to go do some grass T/O & landings this weekend, if it stops raining long enough.

It looks like, weather permitting, I may actually be able to make it. I'm scheduling the 172 and an instructor to go do some grass T/O & landings this weekend, if it stops raining long enough.

Dale - really?

It will be great to meet you.

Question for previous Gastons attendees:

I saw photos on Jesse's site that looked like they could be:

1. A poker run (cards on a board)

2. A judges panel regarding landings (people holding up giant number 6 signs at a table)

What other games / activities have you all had over the years? Any planned for this year? I realize it will be smaller but I don't think that means all the fun should be lost.

I will bring the numbers (make them). The photo:

31H1Ja6.jpg

The judging is rigged. Those were supposed to be 9's.
Question for previous Gastons attendees:

I saw photos on Jesse's site that looked like they could be:

1. A poker run (cards on a board)

2. A judges panel regarding landings (people holding up giant number 6 signs at a table)

What other games / activities have you all had over the years? Any planned for this year? I realize it will be smaller but I don't think that means all the fun should be lost.

I will bring the numbers (make them). The photo:

31H1Ja6.jpg

Well I could just bring 9's and 10's.
Then no one will be able to rate MY landing. Which is weird, because I usually give you several shots at it before I finally get all three wheels on the ground at the same time.

I kid, I kid! They're not that bad. Usually.

Ummm... Kim? Your event planner is showing :lol:

Back