Gastons 2013 Attendance

Try "The PilotCast" :)

Internet always seemed pretty reliable when plugged in in the room. When we tried to jury-rig wireless out to the flight line, it became a little bit less so.

Liz, are you doing a standard online class, a MOOC, blended learning, or what?
It's a pretty standard online class, but the response from the server is almost intolerably slow even when accessed over a high-speed connection. It's a perfect example of hardware that hasn't kept up with the demands of software. The other issue is my university email account, which uses a fancy interface that really needs high speed access. I'd be using a laptop plugged in directly though, no need for wireless.

The April fly out was pretty much canceled, I'm not sure if there is a May one, but let me know the dates in August and perhaps you and your friend can join us (we can make a flyout for you). Last time we had 20 or more pilots for lunch on the water in Half Moon Bay!
I'll keep you posted, Kim!

It's a pretty standard online class, but the response from the server is almost intolerably slow even when accessed over a high-speed connection. It's a perfect example of hardware that hasn't kept up with the demands of software. The other issue is my university email account, which uses a fancy interface that really needs high speed access. I'd be using a laptop plugged in directly though, no need for wireless.

Sounds like the connection speed isn't going to be the limiting factor. Blackboard?

No POP or lightweight web interface to the email?

Alas, a graduation and an anniversary party were added to my calendar for June 8th, so my attendance is doubtful.

If Gaston's has internet via CenturyTel it is likely a lightning fast 50 M down/ ??? up package or similar DSL, divided up by whoever is staying and using the internet at the moment. Potentially they have multiple lines and divided up cabins to different lines, but I would call that a long shot. Depending on what time your class, is late morning or early afternoon, but not lunch time, the internet will likely be all yours while everyone else is fishing or swimming.

Nate - do you think you might have a seat available if you go? I haven't discussed it with my wife yet, but that could be kind of a cool way to get back into this again.

I'm secondary on call that weekend, so that could be tough for me as well, but I'm sure I could get someone to cover.

It's looking more and more like the house won't be ready to sell and I won't be going, at least right now.

Trying to decide if I want a life this summer or if I feel like paying contractors. The painters quote is impressive, but I *hate* painting.

Non-Refundable airplane ticket booked to Dallas airport. Gastons deposit / cottage paid for. Arrangements made for 2.5 hour XC with fellow pilot to Gastons from Texas.

Only problem is that as we all know, in GA - there could be many things keeping me from getting there (fingers crossed).

In case my pilot / his airplane (rental) / mother nature tells me that I have no way to get from Dallas to Arkansas, I'll need a back up plan. I've come up with three:

1. Rent car in Dallas and drive, need to research distance / cost vs. option number 2 etc.

2. Buy a ticket at the DFW airport to fly to Branson and somehow get from Branson to Gastons by either: (a) getting a ride in a plane; or (b) renting a car at Branson if a ride is not an option

3. Trip insurance is $35 and just use that to cancel the whole thing / get my money back / go home. I can buy third party trip insurance at anytime. The airplane ticket was roughly $400

Sounds like the connection speed isn't going to be the limiting factor. Blackboard?

No POP or lightweight web interface to the email?
You guessed it, Bb. :( (I wasn't sure how well known it was.) There is a lightweight web interface for the email (Zimbra) but it's almost as bad as the full enchilada.

Might work at 3M0, might not... right now I'm leaning more toward saving my pennies for CA in August.

Gastons is the site of a Super Cub fly-in this weekend. Three Carbon cubs stopped in for fuel on their way there.

Non-Refundable airplane ticket booked to Dallas airport. Gastons deposit / cottage paid for. Arrangements made for 2.5 hour XC with fellow pilot to Gastons from Texas.

Only problem is that as we all know, in GA - there could be many things keeping me from getting there (fingers crossed).

In case my pilot / his airplane (rental) / mother nature tells me that I have no way to get from Dallas to Arkansas, I'll need a back up plan. I've come up with three:

1. Rent car in Dallas and drive, need to research distance / cost vs. option number 2 etc.

2. Buy a ticket at the DFW airport to fly to Branson and somehow get from Branson to Gastons by either: (a) getting a ride in a plane; or (b) renting a car at Branson if a ride is not an option

3. Trip insurance is $35 and just use that to cancel the whole thing / get my money back / go home. I can buy third party trip insurance at anytime. The airplane ticket was roughly $400

Trip insurance usually won't cover YOU canceling. Only if the airline cancels. Read the fine print on the policy.

Oh and it's a long drive... About 8 hours each way from Dallas.

Trip insurance usually won't cover YOU canceling. Only if the airline cancels. Read the fine print on the policy.

Oh and it's a long drive... About 8 hours each way from Dallas.

Eight hours? Well, I'd get there a bit after dinner then. But probably before bed.

Thanks for the trip insurance advice. I tried to read the fine print but they didn't let me - they just want you to not ask too many questions, I guess. I figured I would not be covered if I canceled.

another reason why I like USAA. Many years ago I've had to cancel a weeklong scuba dive vacation in Cozumel due to Mom being diagnosed with breast cancer. I had trip insurance with USAA and was reimbursed near completely.

Keep shopping, Kim

I'm a solid probably. I won't be working that weekend but whether or not my airplane will actually ever make it out of the shop is another story.

I'm a solid probably. I won't be working that weekend but whether or not my airplane will actually ever make it out of the shop is another story.

I missed the thread, I guess... What's being worked on or upgraded?

Finally getting the seeping fuel tanks fixed. 3 weeks in to an alleged 1 week job.

I hope you can make it. I'm looking forward to seeing this girl chaser in person. :wink2: :wink2: :nudge: :nudge: :say_no_more:

another reason why I like USAA. Many years ago I've had to cancel a weeklong scuba dive vacation in Cozumel due to Mom being diagnosed with breast cancer. I had trip insurance with USAA and was reimbursed near completely.

Keep shopping, Kim

I'm a member of USAA. I'll call them. Thanks for the tip.

Somebody famous is headed there this weekend. Private air show?
muqyvynu.jpg

Gastons is the site of a Super Cub fly-in this weekend. Three Carbon cubs stopped in for fuel on their way there.

Ladies Love Taildraggers are there this weekend too. They've got a couple posts up about it on their website: http://www.ladieslovetaildraggers.com/

I'm looking forward to their big fly-in in Savannah, TN next weekend. Last year's fly-in was amazing.

As for the PoA fly-in. I've booked a SkyCatcher for that Saturday and I'm really looking forward to meeting folks. Fingers crossed on the weather and that the plane doesn't break. My record has been about 2 in 5 on previous attempts.

I think that means David is having to passengers :D ( we know David does not have soul):D

David glad you did not get offended.
You watch to much South Park:D

Had 60 or so here from Friday thru Sunday. Lots of Carbon Cubs, etc. Good cause - Wounded Warriors.

On another note... I understand the person that needs internet acess while at Gastons so as to meet commitments, but the rest of you... When in the Ozarks, "Online" refers to a situation a trout finds itself in, and has nothing to do with bits and bytes :wink2:

Had 60 or so here from Friday thru Sunday. Lots of Carbon Cubs, etc. Good cause - Wounded Warriors.

On another note... I understand the person that needs internet acess while at Gastons so as to meet commitments, but the rest of you... When in the Ozarks, "Online" refers to a situation a trout finds itself in, and has nothing to do with bits and bytes :wink2:

As it should be!

I think if I left for there now (from the DFW area) I could get there before engine start. Ok, I'm exaggerating. A bit.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ScreenShot564.png
    ScreenShot564.png
    105.9 KB · Views: 127
Wow! I'm supposed to fly the crew to GTU today to pick up the jet. Driving may be faster.

Returning to Addison was great fun yesterday afternoon: winds of 190/16 gusting to 26 (40 degree crosswind). One could really feel the drop off of wind after a gust ended. Had to keep my speed up. North American tail dragger landed in front of me and was having a very difficult time taxiing back.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Back