Gastons 2013 Attendance

OK so because I know we are all spending money for this vacation I may or may not have the guts to bring this up in person.

Instead, I am going to post it here.

Once again, I was contacted by my Pilot group (we have monthly meetings / dinners and monthly display days). The group is a non profit and consists of several hundred local pilots. We pay dues, wear name tags, etc.

They emailed me saying "Hey Kimberly you are always so enthusiastic - can we give you 20 raffle tickets to sell?"

I emailed them back that the last time I was only given 10 tickets I struggled to get them sold in time and had to buy most of them myself.

They agreed to only mail me 10 this time. I took them to my Mom's birthday party - but only sold 2 to my Uncle.

This means of the 10, I have only sold 2, and I still have 8 to sell.

I felt bad selling them at the last fly-in I went to, since they spent days cooking us a free lunch and offering their house as a place to camp. I did not want to "profit" from their event.

I asked at least 5 pilots last weekend when I worked on the annuals of airplanes for free, but none would buy a raffle ticket.

So - yes - I'm bringing the raffle to Arkansas.

Here is how the raffle works:

1. The odds of winning are good. All 100 tickets will be sold at $10 each by next week's monthly pilot dinner. We will collect $1,000

2. The winner will be chosen next Wed night at the dinner. We have a machine that scrambles the tickets. Winner need not be present to win.

3. The prize is either $500 in avgas (100LL) or $400 cash. The remaining $600 goes into a bank account for scholarship. Once it reaches $3,000 a pilot in training is chosen and the money goes to pay for his / her flight training at the airport.

4. Tickets are $10 (cash or check) and are completely tax deductible as a donation. They are a 501(c) organization. PAPA (Petaluma Area Pilots Association)

So - if anyone has a spare $10 to get a chance to winn $400 let me know at Gaston's! If not, I'll bring the tickets to the dinner meeting next Wed night and try to sell them before the meeting / raffle starts.

Kimberly

Link to my group:

http://papapetaluma.org/

History

The Petaluma Area Pilots Association was formed in 1978 by a group of local pilots. It supports aviation and the Petaluma airport with events, community outreach, and scholarships to young people seeking a career in aviation. PAPA also provides volunteer labor and materials for airport projects. For example, PAPA members relocated Petaluma’s old Chief of Police building and refurbished it into the current airport terminal.

Until 1991, PAPA produced an annual Air Fair with aircraft displays, aerial performers, and more. This was both an outreach event to publicize the Petaluma airport and a fundraiser for PAPA scholarships and projects. A flyer from one of the last Petaluma Air Fairs said it best:

We’re a family of pilots and non-pilots alike who, as individuals, either do – or dream of doing – what Wilbur and Orville first did not so long ago: travel on a cushion of air to see what we can see. We get to view both sides of the mountain at the same time… while cruising comfortably and unrestricted by fence-following roads.

Goals

Fly often, and fly safely. Have fun, be a good neighbor, and promote the airport. Oh, and eat well! (PAPA has its own trailerable barbecue – pilots need fuel, too.)

Mission Statement

This non-profit, membership organization is established in order to encourage public interest in airplane operation and to make the public aware of the benefits of general aviation.

Is that $500 worth of Petaluma avgas, or $500 worth of avgas wherever? Just curious how they'd turn that into $500 in avgas at, say, MLE. :) Or if I'd have to take the cash. All of which is purely theoretical, I never ever win these things. My father won cars twice, I think he wore out our lucky streak.

Is that $500 worth of Petaluma avgas, or $500 worth of avgas wherever? Just curious how they'd turn that into $500 in avgas at, say, MLE. :) Or if I'd have to take the cash. All of which is purely theoretical, I never ever win these things. My father won cars twice, I think he wore out our lucky streak.

Don't worry, I'm not expecting any POAers to hand over ten dollars but yes you have a 1 in 100 chance (or better) of winning the cash and no the avgas isn't anywhere except Petaluma.

Unless you bring a gun and hold it on us to make us buy, feel no remorse whatever. We all grown ups, right?

I just called Radio Shack and they wanted $110 for a radio scanner that only receives and doesn't transmit. My aviation one broke (a pilot friend dropped it and it was from the 80s). Does anyone have any extra handheld radios they could bring? I wanted to go out and buy one but it appears I can't on short notice.

If you stop in Texas for more than 30 minutes we can remedy that deficiency.

Thanks but my itinerary is rather full. I can't share the details but let's just say I have a few stops to make in Texas before I get on the plane to Arkansas! And if you are at the fly-in you will get to see what I mean.

If you stop in Texas for more than 30 minutes we can remedy that deficiency.

Thanks but my itinerary is rather full. I can't share the details but let's just say I have a few stops to make in Texas before I get on the plane to Arkansas! And if you are at the fly-in you will get to see what I mean.

I just called Radio Shack and they wanted $110 for a radio scanner that only receives and doesn't transmit. My aviation one broke (a pilot friend dropped it and it was from the 80s). Does anyone have any extra handheld radios they could bring? I wanted to go out and buy one but it appears I can't on short notice.

I have an old Sony that works... Ehh... Ok. Not perfect, but still somewhat usable. I'll bring it along.

Need, one of these days, to buy a new handheld transceiver to replace my JRC JHP520, which must be among the worst excuses for precision electronics I have ever seen. It still works.

Sorta.

My old Icom should be at the hangar. I'll look for it. It has AA adaptor and headset adaptor.

I've got a Radio Shack scanner I'll try to remember to bring. I'll only be around on Saturday, though.

Thanks to anyone who can bring a handheld. If not only for me, for yourself because - I don't know about you - but at my field we sometimes have fun with the CTAF (especially on the ground) since with the surrounding terrain nobody can hear us except the pilots overhead and therefore we aren't "hogging" the frequency. That is, I mean, if both the people on the ground and the people in the air know each other. Heck I'm sure David will announce his pattern legs like a pirate.

Well, I've not been on here much lately, and have only been to Gaston's once for about 30 minutes on a Saturday back in 09 or 10. But I'm going to try to drop in for a few on Friday (fingers crossed), just to see a few faces I've not seen either ever or in a long time.

It would be more like:

Yarrrr, ye best be advisin' me if any scalawags be circlin' round ye airport.

I wonder how Dave S. will announce the King Air coming in with a 50' wingspan? How would a pirate say that?

It would be more like:

Yarrrr, ye best be advisin' me if any scalawags be circlin' round ye airport.

I guess we might needs to show David the calendar after he lands... it's JUNE 7, not SEPTEMBER 19...

I wonder how Dave S. will announce the King Air coming in with a 50' wingspan? How would a pirate say that?

Yaaar! I be comin' in with yard arms as wide as Texas! All you pip squeaks in those dingy's you call airplanes better make room at the dock. They don't call me KING AIR for nuttin, yar know...

He won't be saying anything, and will just be hoping the gap between the trees (that's looking smaller with each passing moment) is still more than 50' wide.

He won't be saying anything, and will just be hoping the gap between the trees (that's looking smaller with each passing moment) is still more than 50' wide.

Exactly right.

Well, since Dan Gryder's DC-3 with its 105 foot wingspan, made it in there, a King Air will have no problems.

When may we expect runway reports? Anyone arriving today or early tomorrow? Pacs scheduled to arrive at the FBO 2 ish tomorrow. Flight is 1.5 hours.

Best,

Dave

Doesn't matter, anybody flying a King Air into that airport will be checking his hole card even if he's following a G-V.

Well, since Dan Gryder's DC-3 with its 105 foot wingspan, made it in there, a King Air will have no problems.

When may we expect runway reports? Anyone arriving today or early tomorrow? Pacs scheduled to arrive at the FBO 2 ish tomorrow. Flight is 1.5 hours.

Best,

Dave

Logistics on my side are a mess right now, I'll either be taking the flybaby at like sunrise and will be there fairly early otherwise I will be taking a 205 and won't be there until about 5pm.

Btw I have one of the extra large cabins. We can do pizza and whatnot in my cabin on Friday or we could restaurant it.

The only issue the runway ever has (as least as far as I know) is a soft area at the extreme west end where it doesn't drain well. I just called and was told that it's fine...and no rain in the forecast...

And I might be there tomorrow or I might not. I freaking hate insurance companies - that's all I have to say.

Sent from a hotel room in Fargo, ND.

Thanks to anyone who can bring a handheld. If not only for me, for yourself because - I don't know about you - but at my field we sometimes have fun with the CTAF (especially on the ground) since with the surrounding terrain nobody can hear us except the pilots overhead and therefore we aren't "hogging" the frequency. That is, I mean, if both the people on the ground and the people in the air know each other. Heck I'm sure David will announce his pattern legs like a pirate.

I like being able to listen to CTAF at fly-ins as well (one reason I have a scanner). 122.8 is the most prolific CTAF frequency in the region too, not that we'll be able to hear much of it on the ground in the valley.

Things are looking like they're coming together. David is currently flying a Cherokee Sox from Fargo back to Lincoln then he will be flying a 205 from Lincoln to Gastons.

I had some late night server meltdowns that kept me up late fixing but did get some sleep. Things appear to be stable enough that I can come to Gastons. I'm currently driving out to my hangar and I will be flying the Flybaby there. I will get there when I get there (it's slow) and will be making one or many fuel stops somewhere on the way.

I think the Gastons regulars pretty much have this down to a chaotic science as they've been doing it for 10+ years. There are always transceivers under the pop ups.

Cooking right along at 78 knots. Sooo hungry.

Back