Gastons 2012 - Don't miss it

Ah, yes. Another dining experience in the land of the gastronomically challeged. It seems like only yesterday . . .

Jesse, Danielle, myself, and Dmitry are here. We're getting something to eat at the restaurant, if you land in the next hour or so that's where we are.

A beautiful day -- the runway is firm and dry. I wouldn't consider it "bumpy" it's just like it always is. Certainly one of the smoothest grass strips I've been on.

I wanted to slip off and come up there but had cataract surgery Tues. so may be next year. Hope a good time is had by all.

We got going late. Mostly to let the moat dry out and feed the crocs.

Here's what APA looked like this morning. That's hail.

aee8d0ac-13a4-f7b0.jpg

aee8d0ac-13b7-59ed.jpg

Sharon, Michael and I will be leaving Lee's Summit (LXT if you must) between 4:30 and 5. Should put us down there about 6:30 or so. See you all soon.

I get to fly a Hawker 800 to Teterboro this weekend which ain't bad. OTOH I'd rather be at Gaston's in my Mooney. But as Mick said, "you can't always get what you want..." Everyone have a great time.

Y'all have fun! Sorry we won't be making it. Home obligations around here, working tomorrow and Sunday, and no dog flight to Houston this weekend (the biggest reason).

Teresa and I have arrived. Had to file IFR into an 800 BKN overcast with light rain and was IMC for about 40 minutes at 4000' before breaking out. Stopped at Texarkana, then direct past Hot Springs. FlightAware N6152H. First IMC with my wife.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339107908959.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339107908959.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 42
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339107928611.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339107928611.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 39
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339107940014.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339107940014.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 47
Runway was freshly mowed last night and is in great condition. Observed deer skat in multiple places on the runway near the picnic tables, and two baby deer crossed our path on short final, so clearing passes may be warranted.

Last edited:
Nice to see it coming together for y'all. Wish I could have joined the group. With family in SC and flying them to Florida over the weekend. Maybe next year.

Best,

Dave

The obligatory "group post-pizza lounging photo".

aefd52aa-5a01-5985.jpg

And from a friend of a friend of a friend... The B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" was outside during the hail storm at KAPA last night. Ouch...

aefd52aa-5a42-2463.jpg

And another showing the stripped trees when we arrived to depart this morning.

aefd52aa-5a7a-984a.jpg

Climbing out of DEN...

aefd52aa-5a9c-8ce8.jpg

aefd52aa-5aab-9ba8.jpg

aefd52aa-5ac1-2b81.jpg

aefd52aa-5ada-7a55.jpg

aefd52aa-5aeb-18b9.jpg

aefd52aa-5afc-9224.jpg

The runway at Gaston's...

aefd52aa-5b1d-d21d.jpg

And the White River...

aefd52aa-5b42-1b63.jpg

Yeah but at least his ground stays in one place! :rolleyes:

Dude I was THERE in the Marina in 1989. Not a scratch on me or my parents' house (I was in third grade, I think). At least my winds don't twist in circles and relocate my stuff!!!!

Hey, Dunc WILL be joining me tomorrow! We'll see you guys mid morning.

About to leave the house for the airport. ETD is 9AM with ETA around 1030

I will post right before we leave.

Andrew

Leaving here in 10 mins. ETE is 1:20. We will be in N125HS which is a white Maule MXT-7-180.

We hope everyone is safe this weekend. As always we are providing fuel discounts to POA Gaston's participants. We also have an A&P on duty at our BPK location this weekend if anyone needs any help. Unfortunately we just took a very expensive fuel load due to some Avgas shortage across the country, but we are essentially selling Avgas near cost which is $5.55/gal. If you want to pay with a Shell Card or Cash we can sell it for $5.50/gal. These prices are good through next week, but please mention the fly-in to the line service technician so that they give you the appropriate discount as we can not give the discount to all of our customers. Have fun and hopefully we will see you guys at either BPK or HRO!

Thanks,

Taylor

Friday Gastons is about to start with the thunderous intimidating roar of a lycoming O360.

David is small, he's not loaded up with full fuel, and gets off the ground quickly. His tire tracks were clearly visible in the morning dew, and he had his mains off the ground at the windsock ... I walked it off with a GPS and it was only a 560' ground roll...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339171424770.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339171424770.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 55
David is small, he's not loaded up with full fuel, and gets off the ground quickly. His tire tracks were clearly visible in the morning dew, and he had his mains off the ground at the windsock ... I walked it off with a GPS and it was only a 560' ground roll...
Sure those aren't skid marks? :rofl:

Got 15 minutes of actual on the climb out. And nice views of clouds after that.

Wait. What? You finished your IR? When did that happen? I'll have to admit, I quit following the Operation Butt Freeze. Guess it thawed out! :D

Belated congratulations!

You all have fun! I need to carve out the time and return next year!

I was not planning to come this year because of other plans but it looks like the aviation gods are smiling on me!! The family is getting up early tomorrow morning and making the flight. It will be my 2 1/2 yr old daughters second Gaston's Fly In trip and my 11 mo old son's first!! See you all tomorrow morning.

Beau Snowden - Cherokee 180 N99SW

I'm shopping with the girls in Branson. Y'all can revoke my man card now. Ha.

Meanwhile, we found some luggage for David...

aefd588d-52b1-7ae4.jpg

We also found the David White "White Lightning" fashion shoe collection...

aefd588d-53d4-f648.jpg

Back