Gastons 2012 - Don't miss it

Thanks Greg and Sharon for the hospitality!

Some more videos to post of some flyin', but those that I posted took hours (literally) on the "3G" Verizon network, such as it is... will wait for real bandwidth from the couch at home...

The "famous" Gaston's Sunday Brunch tomorrow at 10:30... then flights home...

It looks like whe weather gods will be smiling down on everyone returning home today. It looks like it'll be relatively nice in all directions except SE; as long as the lollies aren't gagged for too long this morning before departure.

It was great seeing everyone.

Brunch is over, and everyone's starting to depart...

aeffe0ce-d34c-cdce.jpg

Teresa and I are safely home in Fort Worth. Cruised VFR at 8500', took exactly three hours.

Was GREAT to see everyone, and meet some new folks, too!

Last edited:
Tomster and I got home about 3:00, good ride, albeit hot and bumpy with big headwinds near the end. 8,500 was the right altitude today!

Heard you with Memphis and Razorback, Troy. You sound so much like a bad-ass jet-jock!

---

Very glad we went - a great group, lotsa fun. Thanks to all for making it great!

Listened for y'all as I returned from Orlando today through, around, and over that big mess in the Florida Panhandle. Think I was behind y'all.
Hope you had a great time. Got the family tended to as needed. Maybe next year.

Best,

Dave

Made it back to M89 around 2pm. Daniel and I had a very interesting flight back. I decided to file for 8000', however around KRUE I decided to ask for 5000' since some build ups were getting above us and dark. I soon found this to be a good choice. About 10 mins later our altimeter decided to take an early vacation. :nono: It was wildly swinging +/- 150' and would not stabilize. So I asked for VFR under the deck for the rest of the trip. So that last part was HOT and ROUGH. :mad:

It was great to meet everyone! Maybe I can get to 6Y9 in the fall!

Last edited:
I enjoyed meeting new pilot peeps : Nate & Karen, Andrew, Daniel, Dmitri, Duncan, Tim, Ben, Beau & Family and hangin' with Gaston's Regulars...especially Greg, Sharon and Michael - cabin mates extraordinaire!

Oh! I almost forgot Bentley...he was so good! Just ask Dmitri!

Thanks for a most enjoyable weekend, y'all! :)

Last edited:
Made it home to Nola. Nasty wx down here, but the ride down at 11k' was fairly smooth. Had to hold for the last line of red to move through Lakefront.

Great meeting you guys. Sorry I'll miss the fall Gastons, hope to make the next summer one.

I'm home too. It was a great weekend and my Pilots 'n Paws mission was a success this afternoon as well. Max, the blind and deaf dachshund is safe tonight with a rescue that will find him a family to love. :D

Last edited:
Official Nate & Karen home post. Got about .5 Actual headed home. Mostly on the climb out just West of Wichita. Area forecast behind us and to the north was saying potential for 2" hail. Yikes.

4b94241c-567f-e757.jpg

I love that we could open the window in the 182 to keep naturally air-conditioned...

4b94241c-568d-261f.jpg

Ended up right at the tops, which is SO COOL! (Thanks Jesse!!!)

4b94241c-56cf-7ea4.jpg

aee88017-570c-abd4.jpg

aee88017-5731-3067.jpg

Ended up descending back down into the heat in Western Kansas to get out of that damned headwind. I knew it was up there but I liked the cooler air up higher. Headwinds both ways. I think it was Greg who said his friend says his airplane "came with a 15 knot headwind when I bought it". :)

Didn't get any photos of it, but LAA-DEN was haze and nastiness due to our forest fires.

Sorry to hear David couldn't get under the headwind. Westbound slogging. Gotta love it.

Mr. White, when you're back to civilization with real bandwidth I would love a copy of that takeoff video you shot.

So nice to meet everyone. Enjoyed every minute. As always, aviation people are some of the nicest folks on the planet.

We now know how Gaston's works, so we'll load up better for the next run! I'm thinking that firing up the famous BBQ pork ribs might be in order next time. ;)

Have to unpack. More post-Gaston's photos and such later... ;)

P.S. Heard all of you after we departed Mountain Home. Everyone sounded like the consummate professional pilots we now could put faces to.

Also heard the controller whining about Doc's fuel detour. "Where are you?" Heh. Radar coverage ain't so great on departure, eh?

I tried to pick up the IFR on the ground via phone at Mountain Home. They wouldn't do it because you guys all were still not IDed yet on radar. Haha. Should'a known. ;) (The things you learn.)

Offered to climb straight out Runway 23 VFR and they liked that a whole lot better. ;)

Also heard a "funny" near Wichita. Could only hear the Controller but it was good...

"nXXXXX, you say you're going to Beech?"

"Ahh, okay help me out. What's a Sundowner?"

LOL!

I heard Doc Bruce talking to Memphis center, and Andrew and Daniel asking for deviations around buildups to the south. I also saw Troy depart from Mtn Home.

We made it home in about two hours up at 8000 feet in nice cool smooth air doing about 170 knots over the ground. Relaxed, listened to music, and enjoyed the ride.

It was a great weekend and I most certainly look forward to the next one. I'll get some pictures up soon.

It was great seeing everyone this year though it was entirely too short a visit for the Snowden family. I am already looking forward to next year!

It was great seeing everyone this year though it was entirely too short a visit for the Snowden family. I am already looking forward to next year!

You guys were gone with the wind! Look forward to visiting more next time.

I wished I could have been there,sounds like everyone had a good time. I do plan on visiting Gaston's between now and fall. Hopefully can attend the Fall Flyin, although we are usually pretty busy at work that time of year.

Is this just known as the Gaton's Flyin or would you call it the POA Gaston's Flyin? has anyone got a good picture of the Gaston's Aerodrome sign?

Anybody get a count on number of planes and people in attendence this year?

Last edited:
Ask and you shall receive...

100_2539.jpg

I'm a scrapbooker... I have photos of most everything I have seen in person. LOL. I hope you can make it to Gaston's in October. This is going to be just our 2nd year for the Fall Fly-In, but the main Gaston's Fly-In has been going on since before I joined this forum... I'm thinking 2005 or 2006.

Not sure of the final count of planes and people... we did fill up the tie-down area (3 rows) of space and had some overlap onto the cabins side of the runway, but not all of the airplanes there were PoA and there were some comings and goings all weekend. Nate and Karen, Danielle and I took a side trip to Branson on Friday and I lost my good tie-down spot when I got back. :( Anyway... put it on your calendar now and hope that your work lets up enough for you to make it to AR in October. It's worth it and you won't regret it. :D

Damn window latch came off and the spring landed on the ramp and blew away. We are stuck here because of a damn spring

Damn window latch came off and the spring landed on the ramp and blew away. We are stuck here because of a damn spring

You have the worst luck with that aircraft. That said, being a teenage IFR pilot with your own airplane more than makes up for it.

Look at the radar for Fayetteville - sure glad that system didn't move through a couple days ago!

Yeah, glad we got out when we did! Today wouldn't be a good day to depart. Sorry you're having issues over a SPRING. How's that keeping you down? Inability to latch the window?

Back