Gastons 2012 - Don't miss it

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
Gastons 2012 is right around the corner.

Gastons is a beautiful grass airport where you will, guaranteed, forge friendships that will last a life-time. This "annual" fly-in started on the AOPA board back in 2004 and has been going strong since.

I first heard of it back in late 2005, I was a broke 18 year old private pilot with little flight time and a big attitude trolling the pilot boards for entertainment. One night some fellow named Spike Cutler told me on the PoA chat that I should come to the fly-in and he'd buy me a steak if he did. I said I would sure try.

I probably had about $300 total in money back then. But there was something about the event that got my attention. I started saving. In early 2006, I lost my job and was a broke high school dropout that still intended on going to this fly-in, somehow. A friendly fellow by the name of Lance Fisher on PoA introduced me to someone that was looking to hire a tech guy. I immediately drove to Minneapolis, interviewed, and was hired. I had a source of income again. I quickly started to stash all the money I was making with the intent of going to Gastons.

I started to talk to some other broke college guy in Iowa named Tony. Now Tony seemed pretty smart, even though he didn't have a shift key, and was interested in going as well. It was decided that I would pick him and his new girlfriend (Leah) up in Iowa and he'd go the rest of the way with me to Gastons. Probably a good thing because I really had no idea what I was doing when it came to flying across the country (but would have never admitted it). Little did I know at the time that Tony would become one the best friends I've had and that years later I would be a groomsman in his wedding.

I remember sitting in that 172, approaching Gastons from the north, stunned by the beauty of the lake and terrain. I had simply never seen something like that in my small-town Minnesota boy upbringing. We touched down on the grass and brought it to a stop. There was a pretty large group of people sitting at the flight line, most of which turned into very good friends for years to come.

I hadn't really had the exposure to such a good group of people in my life and I was pretty amazed by it. I remember walking along the river one night, watching the fog slowly rise, wanting the weekend to never end. Sadly it did but I vowed I'd return the next year. I've done so every year since.

What does Gastons have to offer? A pristine grass-strip where you will spend an entire weekend enjoying the company of some of the finest people around, all awhile watching airplanes takeoff and land. Lifelong friendships being forged with the smell of 100LL and BBQ grill in the air.

Ken Ibold described the experience better then I ever could in the attached PDF.

Gastons 2012 is Jun 8 to Jun 10 with an early-bird pizza part on the evening of Jun 7th.

Cabins fill up quick so get your reservations in right now: http://www.gastons.com/

For more fly-in details and to register your attendance (not required but sure nice to know who is coming):
http://www.gastonsflyin.com/viewevent.php?id=8

Attachments

• Gastons.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 82
I wish I could make it this year. Maybe next year. Have fun everyone!

This is similar to my 6Y9 (grass strip) POA fly-in experience. Great write-up and I agree, where I come from (city) people are NOT like what I found out there during that weekend of flying and camping. POA people are awesome.

If I can't go to WINGS I will try for Gaston's but I heard it is hot. Oh well, I shouldn't be such a wuss.

This is similar to my 6Y9 (grass strip) POA fly-in experience. Great write-up and I agree, where I come from (city) people are NOT like what I found out there during that weekend of flying and camping. POA people are awesome.

If I can't go to WINGS I will try for Gaston's but I heard it is hot. Oh well, I shouldn't be such a wuss.

it's a wet heat.

unfortunately we won't be able to make it again this year.

It is hot Kim! But Jesse hit the nail on the head. At all the POA flyins ( and I do call them POA flyins) you will meet great people and forge lasting friendships.

Gastons was where I met Spike, Nick, Jesse, Greg, Ken Ibold, Chip ( I do miss Chip on the board) Diana,Bruce, Mike, Kent, Tony and others and I'll say that I still keep in touch with 90% of them in one way or another.

Nothing like sitting back under one of the pop up tents with a bottle of ice water and just shooting the bull. It really is a great place to bond and meet other pilots.

Nothing like sitting back under one of the pop up tents with a bottle of ice water and just shooting the bull. It really is a great place to bond and meet other pilots.

Except for the heat rash...

Kimberly it's HOT! yes Misreable HOT! and STICKY! It would be so much better if the runway was not oneway (landing one way taking off the other) as then the pool would be under the flight path. The pool is the only pace to be in the middle of the afternoon. I did enjoy all the runway checks while in the pool. :D

Rain plays a big part in the predictability of both comfort and access to the event, as does Gaston's cancellation policy. I don't like any event enough to pay for a room I can't use if the facilities are unusable.

It is hot Kim! But Jesse hit the nail on the head. At all the POA flyins ( and I do call them POA flyins) you will meet great people and forge lasting friendships.

Gastons was where I met Spike, Nick, Jesse, Greg, Ken Ibold, Chip ( I do miss Chip on the board) Diana,Bruce, Mike, Kent, Tony and others and I'll say that I still keep in touch with 90% of them in one way or another.

I've been a couple of times when I lived in Texas. Adam's right on the mark about meeting folks. I've missed it the last few years for a variety of reasons, but have made up by going to Wings. Lots of great folks on PoA. Looks like it'll be Wings for me again this year.

Ice water. Pfft. Ice cold adult beverages is more like it.

There are some things about Gaston's I don't care for (like the restaurant), but the folks that attend make up for those things.

I'm a northerner and I've always considered the temperature tolerable and enjoyable.

I just called Gastons and they have plenty of cabins left. So call now and get your reservation!

Ice water. Pfft. Ice cold adult beverages is more like it.

QUOTE]

Well Bill I'd agree however there is soooo much flying that goes on at Gastons that I figured I'd mention the ice water. The adult beverages can wait till evening as all the flying that goes on is worth sticking to ice water.

I'd venture a bet that in a single day at gastons you could easily fly in 4 to 5 different planes. Its about the people the planes and the runway.

I have never met anyone here in person and I'm not very active but I'm planning on coming this year. If not, hopefully I can be home for 6Y9 since I'm in the same state.

Except for the heat rash...

Kimberly it's HOT! yes Misreable HOT! and STICKY! It would be so much better if the runway was not oneway (landing one way taking off the other) as then the pool would be under the flight path. The pool is the only pace to be in the middle of the afternoon. I did enjoy all the runway checks while in the pool. :D

Gross. And much more expensive than WINGS. Just talked to the boss, think I'm going! Now all I need to do is buy a ticket. Sorry, everyone, the only way I am going to Gastons is if Bob ends up flying cross country. He was unsure last I spoke with him. But it is an opportunity I would not want to pass up.

Gross. And much more expensive than WINGS. Just talked to the boss, think I'm going! Now all I need to do is buy a ticket. Sorry, everyone, the only way I am going to Gastons is if Bob ends up flying cross country. He was unsure last I spoke with him. But it is an opportunity I would not want to pass up.
The weather isn't that big of a deal and the last few years have been just fine IMO. Yeah, it's warm outside, but it's not enough to make me even think about retreating to the cabin.

The year I went I had to retreat to the pool/room or wished I had. It was still a great time and worth going at least once. Not sure I'll be back.

I'm pretty much planning on attending. Felix and Troy have talked about flying out with me and I'll coordinate with them. Don't know about the KA in the grass (g)

It can get hot there that time of year. Last year I did my road trips on the bike in the morning when only in the mid 80s or so (g).

I'm really not great at small talk; so, I love activity driven get togethers like this.

Best,

Dave

Reservations made in one of the good cabins with extra rooms! :D I will have my chef come up with something yummy and give Danielle's cookies some competition on the flight line. Can't wait to see everyone in 57 days! :D

Won't be there. Was planning a trip out west and was going to head to Gaston's to start the trip, but my ever so thoughtful sister plans to take the days after Gaston's off ruining yet another of my excursions.

Last edited:
Well crap, I was going to siphon gas from your tip tanks.

You should plan to land on the grass. Then if it rains, you can be one of the big takeoff through the mud-hole rooster-tails along with the Barons and Aztecs (or whatever shows up from PA).

I'm pretty much planning on attending. Felix and Troy have talked about flying out with me and I'll coordinate with them. Don't know about the KA in the grass (g)

It can get hot there that time of year. Last year I did my road trips on the bike in the morning when only in the mid 80s or so (g).

I'm really not great at small talk; so, I love activity driven get togethers like this.

Best,

Dave

Won't be there. Was planning a trip out west and was going to head to Gaston's to start the trip, but my ever so thoughtful sister plans to take the days after Gaston's off ruining yet another of my excursions.

You want people to be thoughtful? How thoughtful are you and your avatar?

Excellent point! I can land on the grass and worry the entire time it's there about it raining; I can open huge FOREX positions shorting the Yen and going long gold before going and worry about an internet connection if I need to close out; put in multiple offers to buy properties--then leave, etc.

Or, I can park at Mountain Home and have a drink.

Hmmmmmm

Dave

No guts, no glory.

Excellent point! I can land on the grass and worry the entire time it's there about it raining; I can open huge FOREX positions shorting the Yen and going long gold before going and worry about an internet connection if I need to close out; put in multiple offers to buy properties--then leave, etc.

Or, I can park at Mountain Home and have a drink.

Hmmmmmm

Dave

Dave:

If you wimp out and park your staggeringly-valuable, air-conditioned airplane at BPK, I will be glad to pick you up in my delightfully-simple, yet somehow-appealing one.

Sounds like nice place to visit. Think I'll come by.

It's on my calendar. Probably just a day trip on Friday or Saturday though.

Gonna try my damndest to find a way out. I must meet you folks.

One thing that folks have done in the past is fly to a "pick up" airport. For example you can fly PHL to Chicago or STL and someone coming from the north could perhaps pick you up on their way, give that a shot. Or else come to the Wings FlyBQ and go home with someone who is attending both you could live with them for a few weeks do their lawn etc and they might give you a lift. LOL. Seriously POAers are pretty accommodating so perhaps the pick up airport thing may work for you. Its worth the trip.

One thing that folks have done in the past is fly to a "pick up" airport. For example you can fly PHL to Chicago or STL and someone coming from the north could perhaps pick you up on their way, give that a shot. Or else come to the Wings FlyBQ and go home with someone who is attending both you could live with them for a few weeks do their lawn etc and they might give you a lift. LOL. Seriously POAers are pretty accommodating so perhaps the pick up airport thing may work for you. Its worth the trip.

+1. There are plenty of ways to attend these things without spending enormous piles of money.

Get to Little Rock and I'll come pick you up.

I would love to attend. I reckon since I haven't yet completed my PPL I could always drive. Where exactly is it in the state?

Thanks for the info. Google shows it to be a 7 1/2 hour drive for me. If I can get the time off from work it sounds like an easy drive. I just may have to seriously consider it.

AOPA just did a forum on runway safety and used Gaston's as a very bad example. 100' Power lines, one way landings and takeoffs, ect.

Don't shoot the messenger! :no:

Back