Gastons 2012 - Don't miss it

Greg: I would certainly extend an invitation if I had an empty room. Hope you work something out. Are you planning on doing a couple practice instrument approaches with me again this year?

Best,

Dave

LOL

I could, I guess. Would be fun seeing it from the right seat of a -90. :D

Anybody looking for two room mates? I have not made reservations for Sharon and me yet.

They didn't seem to be out of cabins or rooms when I called.

Per usual Gastons had no idea there was a fly-in planned.

Greg, Teresa and I would share a cabin with you and Sharon. PM me. I'm calling Gaston's tomorrow.

Booked a cabin for me and Teresa to share with Greg and Sharon, Thursday-Saturday night, departing Sunday. See you all there! Mucho gracias to DS for the KA ride to 3M0!

I could if the need arose - however I believe she has already had offers to be picked up by bigger and shinier airplanes.

Yes but yours is similar to the one I trained in. If you died, I could land it. Not so much with the other ones (well I could land them just not very well).

You should plan to land on the grass. Then if it rains, you can be one of the big takeoff through the mud-hole rooster-tails along with the Barons and Aztecs (or whatever shows up from PA).

The problem is that one needs Tony to show up for the ultimate in rooster tail. I was fishing grass out of my engine nacelles for 6 months after Tony flew my plane through a lake three years ago. I'm pretty sure in his and Leah's wedding pictures (taken with the Aztec) you can still see some of the green.

Of course, with more than twice the available horsepower, I would suspect that Dave could get a more staggering rooster tail with half the skill. So with my help, I'm sure he could accomplish it (figuring I'm at least half as skilled as Tony in this department).

If we show up, it will be in the 310, and we will be parking at Mountain Home. The weak Twin Cessna landing gear + Gaston's grass makes me nervous, call me a wimp. It will depend on the dog flights mostly, and if we can stop in en route to Houston to save some puppies.

Dave, please save us the parking spot next to your King Air!

Looks like we have six in my plane; so, we're full. Looking forward to seeing all. We'll need rides from Mountain Home when we arrive. Van or air works!

Best,

Dave

Looks like we have six in my plane; so, we're full. Looking forward to seeing all. We'll need rides from Mountain Home when we arrive. Van or air works!

Best,

Dave

That is so nice of you to take so many people. I'm sure they all drool, right?

Well more than anything, this is a test so see if I even can post. But it sounds like a nice way to spend a weekend, so I might.

Oh, my name is Colleen. Brook H has been trying to talk me into going to Gaston's. I think she's probably succeeded.

Oh, my name is Colleen. Brook H has been trying to talk me into going to Gaston's. I think she's probably succeeded.

One more reason for me to try and make Gastons, more girl pilots! I won't know until much later, hope to see you there. If not, you are in good hands - I've met many of the pilots who will be there.

One more reason for me to try and make Gastons, more girl pilots! I won't know until much later, hope to see you there. If not, you are in good hands - I've met many of the pilots who will be there.

Woot!!!! Welcome!!! More Girl Pilots!!!!!! Woot!

Got my cabin booked!

We're not doing the poker run this year; would anybody be interested in a spot landing contest instead? I was going through some old files and found a precision landing competition contest rule sheet we could adjust. Entry $10 buy-in, all money paid out 1st-3rd place.

We're not doing the poker run this year; would anybody be interested in a spot landing contest instead? I was going through some old files and found a precision landing competition contest rule sheet we could adjust. Entry $10 buy-in, all money paid out 1st-3rd place.

Kind of depends on how it would be executed -- rules, etc. I have some safety concerns...

Kind of depends on how it would be executed -- rules, etc. I have some safety concerns...

Could be done at Mountain Home instead of Gaston's. Are your concerns about the unidirectional runway? Tell us more.

If I come I'll be more interested in a spot sitting contest. Breeze, shade and cool drinks will be included in the rule-sheet.

Sounds good to me

How about this? You land at the spot near the White River designated 3M0 and called "Gaston's White River Resort", you win.

Okay I've seen some of the videos and I'm scratching my head on something...

Is the runway grass at Gaston's usually short enough (assuming no lakes and sinking in) for wheel pants?

I can't decide, watching various online videos.

Personally I don't think they belong on a STOL equipped 182, but thats one of those little items that in a co-ownership, maybe not everyone agrees. ;)

They can be taken off, of course... But the last time we had one off for repairs, the fairings were so brittle that getting the one fairing off the strut damaged it and it had to be repaired. Craaaaack.

So basically pulling them off is a guaranteed fairing repair job or new fairings. And those frakkin' things aren't cheap.

Of course, landing in deep grass and busting up the pants themselves is not exactly the desired outcome either. ;)

Yes, I'm asking because I'm thinking about coming. No I don't know if I can make it yet. :)

Is the runway grass at Gaston's usually short enough (assuming no lakes and sinking in) for wheel pants?

Personally I don't think they belong on a STOL equipped 182, but thats one of those little items that in a co-ownership, maybe not everyone agrees. ;)

They can be taken off, of course... But the last time we had one off for repairs, the fairings were so brittle that getting the one fairing off the strut damaged it and it had to be repaired. Craaaaack.

So basically pulling them off is a guaranteed fairing repair job or new fairings. And those frakkin' things aren't cheap.

Of course, landing in deep grass and busting up the pants themselves is not exactly the desired outcome either. ;)

Yes, I'm asking because I'm thinking about coming. No I don't know if I can make it yet. :)
Wheel pants are not a problem there. Most of the years everything is quite dry. They do a good job of cutting the grass. More airplanes have wheel pants there then don't

Some of us get there early (like me) and we post field conditions. If it weren't OK you could always land at mountain home. The field dries up pretty quickly.

My Cessna 180 with pants appears to be none the worse for wear. Most of my landings are on grass that is similar to Gastons, and I don't even think about it. But that's not all I don't think about, so YMMV.

Nate, even with GRUMMAN pants you'll be okay, so long as your technique is good. Levy's been in there.

Denny keeps it nicely manicured, the only trouble in on the SW corner in front of the main office, is a spot that gets wet. We just avoid that.

I have never needed that much runway. 1/3 of the way down the departure on the north side is a small "hump" that tends to throw heavily loaded airplanes into the air BEFORE they are ready.

Lesson: Go to the right.
Land at the threshold (24) and get it down to walking speed before you get to ANY of that.

My Cessna 180 with pants appears to be none the worse for wear. Most of my landings are on grass that is similar to Gastons, and I don't even think about it. But that's not all I don't think about, so YMMV.

I really AM glad Wayne will have his pants on when he arrives :rofl:
Remains to be seen how he'll leave.

Dave

Denny keeps it nicely manicured, the only trouble in on the SW corner in front of the main office, is a spot that gets wet. We just avoid that.

Yea, we've had a lot of discussions in the past 'bout the wet spot and how it got there :rofl:. Good spot to avoid; 'specially if it rains.

Best,

Dave

I'd be interested in a spot landing contest, always wanted to do one and I'll probably be bringing a plane that I'm pretty good at putting down close to where I want it :)

Back