Gastons 2012 - Don't miss it

AOPA just did a forum on runway safety and used Gaston's as a very bad example. 100' Power lines, one way landings and takeoffs, ect.

Don't shoot the messenger! :no:
Do the following and you'll be just fine. I've done countless takeoffs and landings there.
Anyone that isn't comfortable landing at Gastons can go into Mountain Home and I'll come and get them, or better yet get into their airplane and go with them into Gastons.

I will also provide free instrument proficiency checks or flight reviews. Just provide the airplane.

Last edited:
+1. There are plenty of ways to attend these things without spending enormous piles of money.

Get to Little Rock and I'll come pick you up.

Wouldn't KC be more convenient?

Or even XNA. There are a lot of economical (and many direct) flights to/from XNA because of Wal*Mart's presence.

Certain people went out of their way yesterday to try and talk me into Gaston's. So - quick question - is there anywhere besides Little Rock I can fly into? Just wanna check prices and options.

Also, what day / time would be best for me to arrive at a commercial airport, and what day / time would be best for me to leave? Meaning, what dates / times will help me (getting a ride or flight from one of you).

I'm grateful for the offers so I want to make it easier on the pilots.

Certain people went out of their way yesterday to try and talk me into Gaston's. So - quick question - is there anywhere besides Little Rock I can fly into? Just wanna check prices and options. ...

Fly into St. Louis and I can pick you up along the way, prolly on Wednesday, and it'll be a one night motel stay in Rolla before rolling into Gastons Thursday. Maybe the same on the way out on Sunday, although I could make St. Louis by Sunday afternoon/evening. I'm not driving non-stop again.

Thank you, but what is odd is that seems to cost more (don't know why). Plus I would like to take as few days off work as possible. But then again I probably can't afford to do anything until it gets much closer (going to buy my wings tickets tomorrow).

Kimberly

Thank you, but what is odd is that seems to cost more (don't know why). Plus I would like to take as few days off work as possible. But then again I probably can't afford to do anything until it gets much closer (going to buy my wings tickets tomorrow).

If it's much cheaper you can fly to O'Hare or Midway but allow even more time on the ends.

If it's much cheaper you can fly to O'Hare or Midway but allow even more time on the ends.

How many hours are you driving? I looked up what you proposed, about 2 hours the first day, then sleep, then 4 hours the next day.

6 hours in a car with someone I've never met - let's hope we get along. Or let's hope you don't hate me by the time I get there.

In other words, I'm trying to save you. You should thank me.

EDIT: and "me" might be "we" if the BF comes along. You would love him, he is very cool.

Okay. I'm taking a chance with my schedule, and made a Saturday night reservation. :)

Kim:

If you ride with Mike, you'll see that he's part of what makes the fly-in so cool. Just a great guy (and whichever exceptional pup he has along).

Kim, check out flying into XNA. It may be competitive and it's definitely the closest to Gastons.

Oh wait, Branson's new airport is closer yet (BBG)...like maybe a 15 minute flight to Gastons. They have regular commercial service but I don't know how competitive it'd be.

Edit: Kim, it appears as if Frontier into Branson is just as cheap or cheaper than flying into MCI, STL, SGF, TUL or XNA. A little over $400 round trip. It's not the "red eye" it's the "blue hair express!". I'm sure the passengers' average age will be well into triple digits. :)

Curiously, the airlines list Branson as BKG. The designator on the sectional chart is BBG.:dunno:

Last edited:
Kim:

If you ride with Mike, you'll see that he's part of what makes the fly-in so cool. Just a great guy (and whichever exceptional pup he has along).

Do you vouch for him? Two or three days in a car with someone I've never met....

(sorry, Mike)

Do you fly out of SFO?

I can, or I can do Oakland or San Jose. SFO and my Mom normally lets me keep my car at her house and gives me a ride to the airport. My Dad lives in San Jose, and Oakland isn't THAT far from my Mom's.

Frontier flies out of SFO to Branson, see my edit above in post 52. That appears to be your best bet and someone could hop over from Gastons and pick you up.

I won't know until the last minute, so it'll likely be a daytrip for me.

Have a trip to MN for wife's nephew's HS graduation that weekend, but if the weather is crappy up north, we'll Gaston's it up. Should be fun!!

I'm flying out of the Dallas area. Felix usually flies in to Love or d/fw and links up here. I just can't take time from business to coordinate with a lot of different folks, but can take several more folks if it can be coordinated by someone. Troy was coming last I heard also. Would be open to flying up Thursday or Friday and returning Sunday after brunch.

Dave

I'm flying out of the Dallas area. Felix usually flies in to Love or d/fw and links up here. I just can't take time from business to coordinate with a lot of different folks, but can take several more folks if it can be coordinated by someone. Troy was coming last I heard also. Would be open to flying up Thursday or Friday and returning Sunday after brunch.

Dave

Well, hey, if Troy is coming - that changes everything!

Well, hey, if Troy is coming - that changes everything!

Well, I e-mailed Troy to confirm and he has family coming it that weekend; so, he's not currently planning on coming. Felix and a friend are flying in and we are planning on an afternoon departure from this area (Addison--KADS). We'll be there that evening early. It's around a two hour flight from here. We plan on staying for Sunday brunch if weather allows. We normally do a low pass and land at Mountain Home; beg a ride over to the resort.

Got our reservations yesterday.

Best,

Dave

Troy just sent me a PM and will be able to make it. His family conflict was resolved; different weekend. I've asked him to chime in. Don't know if he'll bring any family along. Perhaps he'll join the thread.

Dave

Last edited:
Troy just sent me a PM and will be able to make it. His family conflict was resolved; different weekend. I've asked him to chime in. Don't know if he'll bring any family along. Perhaps he join the thread.

Dave

Great news!

How many hours are you driving? I looked up what you proposed, about 2 hours the first day, then sleep, then 4 hours the next day.

6 hours in a car with someone I've never met - let's hope we get along. Or let's hope you don't hate me by the time I get there.

In other words, I'm trying to save you. You should thank me.

EDIT: and "me" might be "we" if the BF comes along. You would love him, he is very cool.

:D I was gonna PM you. Once my brain kicked in I figured out that I can make my overnight stop in St. Louis so it would be the same day from St. Louis to Gastons. Figure maybe 4-5 hours, but you'd need an early morning arrival and a late evening departure from STL if you don't want to use up a day.

I have driven the whole way back to damn near Wisconsin twice. It takes over 11 hours. I think I got in at 11:30PM after leaving after breakfast. Like I said, ain't doing that again.

You two won't be only with me. There will be two face-kissy dogs, too. Also a lot of cargo. Maybe I should take the van.

Somebody might be able to fly you.

:D I was gonna PM you. Once my brain kicked in I figured out that I can make my overnight stop in St. Louis so it would be the same day from St. Louis to Gastons. Figure maybe 4-5 hours, but you'd need an early morning arrival and a late evening departure from STL if you don't want to use up a day.

I have driven the whole way back to damn near Wisconsin twice. It takes over 11 hours. I think I got in at 11:30PM after leaving after breakfast. Like I said, ain't doing that again.

You two won't be only with me. There will be two face-kissy dogs, too. Also a lot of cargo. Maybe I should take the van.

Somebody might be able to fly you.

Mike,

I will most likely select a flight (as suggested by others) that brings me very close to the event, to increase my number of choices for rides / flights.

Again, I am several weeks away from making a decision, buying tickets, and paying for them. Money is a factor but I've been working a second job to help.

I will let you know, but don't change your plans for me. I might not go - it is about 50 / 50 right now.

... is there anywhere besides Little Rock I can fly into? Just wanna check prices and options.

KLIT is a good 3.5 hours from Gastons. You don't want to do that if you don't have to. Springfield and Fayetteville are much better options, but the best place to fly into is Branson.

Frontier flies into Branson directly from Denver. And AirTran flies directly from Atlanta into Branson. Both are one hour flights, and the fare is cheap. You can get anywhere you want to go from Denver or Atlanta.

As someone else posted, driving from Branson to Gaston's will take you about 1.5 hours, or if you are loved, 15 minutes, straight up the lake, by GA airplane :)

Troy just sent me a PM and will be able to make it. His family conflict was resolved; different weekend. I've asked him to chime in. Don't know if he'll bring any family along. Perhaps he'll join the thread.

Dave

I was on the road with limited internet. Planning on coming, in Dave's KA, with my wife. Just need to call the resort tomorrow and see if lodging is still available.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Anybody looking for two room mates? I have not made reservations for Sharon and me yet.

Greg: I would certainly extend an invitation if I had an empty room. Hope you work something out. Are you planning on doing a couple practice instrument approaches with me again this year?

Best,

Dave

Tim, I must have missed your post, I look forward to seeing you again my friend!
David, probably just a day trip on Saturday but I'll be there. Probably just me and Buddy this time. Looking forward to it.

Back