Gastons 2012 - Don't miss it

Yes,

They have a tie down area but it's only big enough for six to eight planes. All overflow planes need tie down kits.

I have a preliminary runway condition report straight from the resort...

As of yesterday lunchtime, the runway was "very dry and very hard". It doesn't seem like AR has had a whole lot of rain so far this summer, so there is also a lot of DUST. The observation was that there was a LOT of dust that got kicked up by an airplane on the take-off roll from 6. As always, beware of the resident white geese that have been known to wander onto the runway without a crossing clearance and apparently new this year... there was a group of people observed to be practicing Tai Chi in the grass as well. :hairraise: Hopefully, this was an isolated incident and not a regular offering like the fly fishing class at the resort. So be aware pilots... and let's be careful out there! :D

As of yesterday lunchtime, the runway was "very dry and very hard". It doesn't seem like AR has had a whole lot of rain so far this summer, so there is also a lot of DUST. The observation was that there was a LOT of dust that got kicked up by an airplane on the take-off roll from 6. As always, beware of the resident white geese that have been known to wander onto the runway without a crossing clearance and apparently new this year... there was a group of people observed to be practicing Tai Chi in the grass as well. :hairraise: Hopefully, this was an isolated incident and not a regular offering like the fly fishing class at the resort. So be aware pilots... and let's be careful out there! :D

Yep! Harrison has only had a little over 2" combined for APR/MAY which is only 25% of normal. We are in a drought that is currently getting worse. We may get some afternoon pop up t-storms this week, but nothing substantial.

pctnorm60day0512.gif

from http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lzk/?n=drought2012.htm

The picture above is the percent of rain we have received for APR.MAY.

UPDATE: Lakeview, AR has a 60% chance for rain tonight. From NOAA:

Tonight:
Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.

Last edited:

You're welcome. ;)

I personally wouldn't do a low pass at Gaston's. Not because of the power lines but rather because of the one way nature of the field. A plane departing NORDO on 06 could really ruin the day of someone doing a low pass on 24.

How is that any different than *landing* at Gaston's? It's not really "one way", it's "one way in, the other way out" so there will always be traffic facing other traffic.

I've had more problems with wildlife of the bipedal variety (ie, humans) on that runway than anywhere else. After almost wiping out three kids a few years ago (and I would have, had I not been doing a low pass at the time), I will ALWAYS do a low pass there unless someone landed a minute or less in front of me.

It's also quite easy to see airplanes on the runway if you line up your final correctly - Much more so than people.

How is that any different than *landing* at Gaston's?

Thing move a lot slower at landing speeds. (70mph vs. 150)

And I can get stopped in less than a third of the runway if I don't see him until after I'm down.

You make a good point about humanoids on the runway though. That's a valid concern at gaston's.

Last edited:
So it is your sworn testimony that the mighty roar of your 182 during a low pass will sufficiently scare/intimidate/incapacitate/ render awestruck whoever/whatever it was for a sufficient period of time for you to complete another circuit and land?

How is that any different than *landing* at Gaston's? It's not really "one way", it's "one way in, the other way out" so there will always be traffic facing other traffic.

I've had more problems with wildlife of the bipedal variety (ie, humans) on that runway than anywhere else. After almost wiping out three kids a few years ago (and I would have, had I not been doing a low pass at the time), I will ALWAYS do a low pass there unless someone landed a minute or less in front of me.

It's also quite easy to see airplanes on the runway if you line up your final correctly - Much more so than people.

I can easily see if someone or something is on the runway as I'm approaching in a nice stable landing configuration and can easily go around if there is a conflict.

So it is your sworn testimony that the mighty roar of your 182 during a low pass will sufficiently scare/intimidate/incapacitate/ render awestruck whoever/whatever it was for a sufficient period of time for you to complete another circuit and land?

No its the sound of the gun shots as he fires his 45 out the open pilots window at the wild life as he does the low pass that scares them.:D

Well, it seems to work so far. I think the problem I had was that somehow, some people didn't realize that it was a runway at all. They got the hell off, and weren't there when I came back around...

I can easily see if someone or something is on the runway as I'm approaching in a nice stable landing configuration and can easily go around if there is a conflict.

Yeah, that's what I thought too... Until I didn't see them. And while I wouldn't hesitate to go around if necessary from a regular approach, there's not many options at Gaston's in the event of an engine failure in that scenario, so I'd rather minimize the chances of needing to do it. Low fast approach allows for enough energy to get up and make the turn to land in the river downstream.

To each their own. IMO, clearing the runway if there hasn't been any recent landing traffic enhances safety. Those who disagree are free to do otherwise.

Name............... #People...... Tail.... Type...... Based... ARR/DEP....Confidence
Jesse..............2...............N222EF... BE33...... LNK..... Thu/Sunday....For Sure
Spike..............2................?.........V35.......ADS......Thur/Sunday...For Sure

Name............... #People...... Tail.... Type...... Based... ARR/DEP....Confidence
Jesse..............2...............N222EF... BE33...... LNK..... Thu/Sunday....For Sure
Spike..............2................?.........V35. ......ADS......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
Andrew.............2/3..............?.......M7.........M89......Fri/Sunday....For Sure

Spike..............2................?.........V35. ......ADS......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
Andrew.............2/3..............?.......M7.........M89......Fri/Sunday....For Sure
Tim.......... .....1to4..........N5057D....C182A....... 0T3..... Saturday...... Fer Sure

Ok..I just put down what I could find based on the forum and the website. Screw the website -- too hard to use (and I built it).

If you're coming and not on this list..please add yourself.
If you are coming and the list is wrong please fix it.

Spike..............2...............N7892R.....V35.......ADS......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
Lynn...............1...............N3334Q.....PA28......TIP......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
David White........2...............N1161F.....C172......BAZ......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
Byron..............2...............N201EQ.....M201......LVJ......Thur/Sat.....For Sure
Bockelmans.........2...............N9872A.....C190......OA6......Fri/Sunday...For Sure
Troy Whistman......2...............N6152H.....C172......52F......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
Dr Bruce..........2...................?......PA-34......PIA......Sat/Sun.......For Sure
Tim.......... .....1to4..........N5057D....C182A....... 0T3..... Saturday...... Fer Sure
Denverpilot.........2.............N-Forgot...C182.......Denver....Thur/Sun......For Sure
Jody Jones.........1.................?.........?........OK........?..............For Sure
EvilEagle..........1.................?..........?.........?...........?..........For Sure
Mark L.............1..................?........?........LNK......Sat/Sunday....Hopeful
Scott..............1..................?........?.........BAZ......Thur/Sunday.....Hopeful
Walt...............2...............N8713X......C180.....DUC........Fri/Sunday...Hopeful
Jonathan............2................?.........LSA......PPO.......Thur/Sunday....Hopeful
Ben................1................N69CJ.....A36.......NEW.......Sat/Sunday.....Hopeful
Grant & Leslie.....2..................?........?.........1C5......Thur/Sunday....Hopeful

Steve told me he and Mary (and Kathleen?) might make it by on Saturday...

Don't know where OA6 is. But you can call me LXT or LRY

Hmm OA6 is Harrisonville. It is now LRY. Don't know when it was ever OA6

The first leg of my gastons journey is complete. I'm in Prescott, Arizona right now (right on the way between HYI and 3M0)

At the end of my adventure I will have probably logged 35 hours and flown almost 4000 miles.

WWJD (What Would Jesse Do)

The first leg of my gastons journey is complete. I'm in Prescott, Arizona right now (right on the way between HYI and 3M0)

At the end of my adventure I will have probably logged 35 hours and flown almost 4000 miles.

WWJD (What Would Jesse Do)

Arizona? Safe flying, David.

My wife is finking out on me, but I'll still be there. Sigh.

Visiting with your bride s always a delight. Tell Eric we promise we I'll not get all likkered- up if she'll be there!

I was going to make a surprise appearance this year, but my engine exploded on takeoff Saturday night. I might be flying again by August.

Fixed mine and my OCD acted up so I started to line up all the columns and then said screw it. Haha. ;) ;) ;)

Jesse..............2...............N222EF... BE33...... LNK.......Thu/Sunday....For Sure
Spike..............2...............N7892R.....V35.......ADS......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
Lynn...............1...............N3334Q.....PA28......TIP......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
David White........2...............N1161F.....C172......BAZ......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
Byron..............2...............N201EQ.....M201......LVJ......Thur/Sat......For Sure
Bockelmans.........2...............N9872A.....C190......OA6......Fri/Sunday....For Sure
Troy Whistman......2...............N6152H.....C172......52F......Thur/Sunday...For Sure
Andrew.............2/3..............?.........M7.........M89......Fri/Sunday....For Sure
Dr Bruce...........2................?.........PA-34......PIA......Sat/Sun.......For Sure
Tim.......... .....1to4............N5057D.....C182A......0T3......Saturday...... For Sure
Denverpilot........2...............N1279M.....C182......KAPA.....Thur/Sun...For Sure
Jody Jones.........1.................?.........?........OK........?...........For Sure
EvilEagle..........1.................?..........?.........?...........?..........For Sure
Mark L.............1..................?........?........LNK......Sat/Sunday....Hopeful
Scott..............1..................?........?.........BAZ......Thur/Sunday.....Hopeful
Walt...............2...............N8713X......C180.....DUC........Fri/Sunday...Hopeful
Jonathan............2................?.........LSA......PPO.......Thur/Sunday....Hopeful
Ben................1................N69CJ.....A36.......NEW.......Sat/Sunday.....Hopeful
Grant & Leslie.....2..................?........?.........1C5......Thur/Sunday....Hopeful

I was going to make a surprise appearance this year, but my engine exploded on takeoff Saturday night. I might be flying again by August.

When I read that I imagined a uncontained engine failure! :yikes: I hope it wasn't that bad.

Fixed mine too. I was on there twice.

Jesse..............2...............N222EF... BE33...... LNK.......Thu/Sunday....For Sure
Byron..............2...............N201EQ.....M201......LVJ......Thur/Sat......For Sure
Bockelmans.........2...............N9872A.....C190......OA6......Fri/Sunday....For Sure
Andrew.............2/3..............?.........M7.........M89......Fri/Sunday....For Sure
Dr Bruce...........2................?.........PA-34......PIA......Sat/Sun.......For Sure
Tim.......... .....1to4............N5057D.....C182A......0T3......Saturday...... For Sure
Denverpilot........2...............N1279M.....C182......KAPA.....Thur/Sun...For Sure
Jody Jones.........1.................?.........?........OK........?...........For Sure
EvilEagle..............1............N69CJ......BE36.........KNEW.......Fri/Sun......For Sure

Foreflight art. ;)

Is OA6 right for the Bockelmans? Foreflight doesn't know it. :)

4b94241c-b436-26bb.jpg

Side-note: Zooming out that far made me notice this goofy chart "stitching" in the Gulf of Mexico.

4b94241c-b4db-c81f.jpg

I like it, Nate! Is some geek project keeping you up late tonight?? :(

LRY is actually Harrisonville. I don't know where OA6 came from. But I claim LRY or LXT.

Mid 80's? Bless that cold front!!

Just as a reminder, there IS NO poker run this year. I saw some had indicated Yes on Jesse's site.

We have to have the plane back by noon Sunday. Doubtful we'll be coming, but we'll see.

Hmm the race car I was going to be crewing for this weekend blew up...

Back