P6050018.JPG
    673.4 KB · Views: 125
  • P6050028.JPG
    P6050028.JPG
    721 KB · Views: 134
  • P6050034.JPG
    P6050034.JPG
    619.9 KB · Views: 89
Man it looks nice there. We are in Phoenix waiting for our next flight. Should be there around 3 am. Can't wait to see it for my self.

-Will

Wow.. Looks GORGEOUS down there! We're getting ready for another line of t-storms and tornadoes here. Ya'll have fun and keep the pics coming for us poor saps that can't make it down.

Stop rubbing it in... weather here is not so nice.
Looking up at the sky here there are build ups everywhere that look like it would be a terrible ride below them. On top of the build up there is shear which is stopping them from becoming t-storms but all of it is fast moving to the north.

With this for noon tomorrow
attachment.php

KBPK 052329Z 060024 17011G22KT P6SM SCT040 SCT100
FM0600 16010G20KT P6SM SCT100
FM0900 16012KT P6SM VCSH SCT025 OVC050
FM1200 17010G20KT P6SM BKN035 OVC050 PROB30 1216 5SM -TSRA OVC025CB
FM1600 18010G20KT P6SM OVC035 TEMPO 1620 4SM TSRA OVC025CB=

For those getting there today glad you are able to do it. For those planning on coming in tomorrow be safe!!!

Attachments

• hpc_24_fcst.gif
    hpc_24_fcst.gif
    32 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
The field looks good. Now if mother nature will just tone down those southwesterly winds. We should be there at 2 pm on Saturday.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Your full of it Steve! Thats not Gastons, there's no haze.:rolleyes:
We didn't have any here in Atlanta today either. Coincidence? I think not. It was pretty.

Whose twin is that? I've never seen a N-number in a Serif font before! Looks nice.

-Rich

Not an easy trip in the Birddog.....36 knot ground speed at times.....but we made it in and were greeted so warmly....

What a great place! What a great group of folks!

Diana???? WHERE ARE YOU HONEY???????? :(:(:(

We're on our way here in about 30 minutes. According to Google Maps, We should get there around 3.

If anyone needs anything picked up on the way, call me. (405) 210-3945

A special thanks is due to my coverage. We get to come! See you all Saturday by lunch!

Damnit, the more y'all talk about this the more I wish I could be there. Can't you talk about something else?!? :D

Damnit, the more y'all talk about this the more I wish I could be there. Can't you talk about something else?!? :D

Teller, just do like I do. Don't check this thread. :no: :D

I just look at this picture and think that I am there.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    540.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Looks great. Viveca and I are sorry to miss this year, we were so close but have obligations in Michigan.

Next year.

Joe & Viveca

Wow, it looks beautiful this year....the skies are so clear!!

When are you here Joe?
We've got the plane in a hanger at Oakland Troy (KVLL) now. We're staying at my sister's place which is walking distance until sometime next week with flyable weather (we don't care which direction).

I've got my other sister ready for a flight around the area on Sunday and a stop in Canton for a Coney Island. I'm not sure that is the best lunch for her first flight in a small plane, but it has been our favorite junk food since we were kids.

Are you up for a fly-in lunch on Sunday? I can probably talk her into better food, maybe Jackson or Marshall (I think there's still a restaurant).

Joe

We've got the plane in a hanger at Oakland Troy (KVLL) now. We're staying at my sister's place which is walking distance until sometime next week with flyable weather (we don't care which direction).

I've got my other sister ready for a flight around the area on Sunday and a stop in Canton for a Coney Island. I'm not sure that is the best lunch for her first flight in a small plane, but it has been our favorite junk food since we were kids.

Are you up for a fly-in lunch on Sunday? I can probably talk her into better food, maybe Jackson or Marshall (I think there's still a restaurant).

Joe

Next weekend on Fathers day is a pancake breakfast at 1D2

You doing have to go all the way to Canton for good Coneys... there's one not too far from Troy on 14 & Crooks.

And really good middle eastern at 14 & rochester... yumy!

You know Dave Belfi (Dave2) is based at VLL (and I got my Private there) he's within 10 min of the airport and has cancled to Gastons due to weather.

Next weekend on Fathers day is a pancake breakfast at 1D2

You doing have to go all the way to Canton for good Coneys... there's one not too far from Troy on 14 & Crooks.

And really good middle eastern at 14 & rochester... yumy!

You know Dave Belfi (Dave2) is based at VLL (and I got my Private there) he's within 10 min of the airport and has cancled to Gastons due to weather.
Thanks Missa!

We're on our honeymoon/vacation and expect to leave early in the week we have to be back in Los Angeles before Monday 6/23 so I doubt we'll be here next Sunday although the weather gods may change our minds.

My sister agreed to her first plane ride so I suppose we could go flying and stop for a Coney on the drive home. That may be a good idea as I'm not sure if there will be any gastric repercussions, and I'd hate to clean that stuff up before she ate it.

As far as good middle eastern food, we're having a second reception for my family that didn't make it to California for the wedding, my sisters (both) my mom and my aunts are cooking the best middle eastern food this side of the Mediterranean. I do miss it, Californians think if there's a falafel on the menu it must be real middle eastern food.

I'll try to contact Dave, it would be nice to meet a Detroit area pilot.

Joe

1D2 is a good place to go. Ma's under the pattern and there is a place to eat in the stripmall across the street... I don't remember if it's a coney.

I miss middle eastern food... I didn't get any when I was home last weekend for the RBAR. In Mid-PA they don't even have a clue about middle eastern food. They think Hummas is just crushed chick peas... <Blech>

I am going to try and be there around 10am. It would be nice if someone could give an update on runway conditions when I get there. :) Be nice steve!

Joe

Joe,

I was really hoping to get to meet you while you were here but it looks like my schedule just won't allow it. Busy getting the home ready to sell it and my wife has to work :( I hope you're able to meet up with some of the Michigander pilots!

Mike

Joe,

I was really hoping to get to meet you while you were here but it looks like my schedule just won't allow it. Busy getting the home ready to sell it and my wife has to work :( I hope you're able to meet up with some of the Michigander pilots!

Mike

Milke

Ed Fred is out your way, and I'm over at VLL. Give a shout when your going out.

Dave

1D2 is a good place to go. Ma's under the pattern and there is a place to eat in the stripmall across the street... I don't remember if it's a coney.

I miss middle eastern food... I didn't get any when I was home last weekend for the RBAR. In Mid-PA they don't even have a clue about middle eastern food. They think Hummas is just crushed chick peas... <Blech>

Well, I know better. But I was introduced to it in Acco a couple years ago. And they KNOW hummas in Israel. :yes:

Well, we had pseudo-Mediterranean appetizers at Sweet Lorraine's which were good, but I agree that they weren't true Mediterranean.

I am going to try and be there around 10am. It would be nice if someone could give an update on runway conditions when I get there. :) Be nice steve!
I'd say the runway conditions are just about perfect! We haven't had any serious rain since before we got here, just a few sprinkles.

More pics

Attachments

• P6060002.JPG
    P6060002.JPG
    704.6 KB · Views: 52
  • P6060004.JPG
    P6060004.JPG
    708.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P6060003.JPG
    P6060003.JPG
    679.4 KB · Views: 45
  • P6060001.JPG
    P6060001.JPG
    715.9 KB · Views: 72
  • P6060006.JPG
    P6060006.JPG
    644.6 KB · Views: 51
  • P6060007.JPG
    P6060007.JPG
    693.7 KB · Views: 52
  • P6060012.JPG
    P6060012.JPG
    559.3 KB · Views: 90
  • P6060014.JPG
    P6060014.JPG
    675.3 KB · Views: 104
  • P6060017.JPG
    P6060017.JPG
    693.6 KB · Views: 73
Just call in a position report about 10 miles out. May or may not be me that responds.

Expect to park along the edge of the runway. Permanent tiedown area is full. Around 23 aircraft on the field on Friday. Expect at least half that many more on Saturday with a lot of activity in the area.

Here are my two favorite pictures so far. Tom took these from the back seat of the Birddog. I need to check with some people before I post more of my favorites...one of them is of the Grand Poobah. :)

Attachments

• Gaston's 2008 003 60.JPG
    Gaston's 2008 003 60.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Gaston's 2008 004 60.JPG
    Gaston's 2008 004 60.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 65
:-(((((

Dave

ditto.

Although I am very sad not to be there, I am glad that the folks there are having such great weather and, I'm sure, a great time!

Last edited:
Glad to hear it is going well!!!

Is anyone going to stream a little video for those us unable to attend???

Safe travels.

:needpics:

MORE pictures, that is. Looks like fun. The backseat Birddog pix are my favorite so far. Cheers, all.

Just a couple of pictures taken early today. Things got busy pretty quick.

I'll leave it to Felix to explain the Bonanza close-up picture....:p

Attachments

• P6070012a.JPG
    P6070012a.JPG
    632.2 KB · Views: 47
  • P6070013.JPG
    P6070013.JPG
    672.1 KB · Views: 75
I just wanted to say thanks everyone for the hospitality, it was great to meet so many people.

Unfortunately I didn't make it home.

After leaving gastons I stopped in houston and topped off with cheap gas, then climbed up to VFR-on-top direct peoria. Sitting there fat dumb & happy in cruise on autopilot and heard a loud bang on the right side followed by rough engine. It was still making partial power, so I left it running at idle throttle in case I needed it, since i don't have accumulators and restarts are near impossible.

I was right over vichy but from that altitude was equally well set up for jeff city where my in-laws live, so I went there. I'm at the inlaws house now.

Airplane is parked with oil running out the exhaust of the right engine, so that's not a good sign. Hopefully it's confined to one cylinder but I won't know until next week.

Talked to Bruce earlier and hopefully I'll be standing by the runway here with my thumb out when he passes by tomorrow.

Unknown. They parked in front of the fuel pump, blocking it from those of us who needed to get fuel.

We had a Bell 206 land at lunchtime today from Tulsa to add to the festivities, too.

Who flew in N444KD? The R44?

Back