Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

I don't think you understand AR routes.
Right. What's an AR route? And, for that matter, what's a fuel route? The AIM does not enlighten. Is this military stuff?

Right. What's an AR route? And, for that matter, what's a fuel route? The AIM does not enlighten. Is this military stuff?

An AR route is an Atlantic Route, they run from the north Carolina area to just offshore south Florida. They appear on the high ifr charts.

An AR route is an Atlantic Route, they run from the north Carolina area to just offshore south Florida. They appear on the high ifr charts.

That explains my lack of knowledge about them. I fly on the other coast and have never flown anything that could get high enough to even remotely worry about the high ifr charts. I have them downloaded in GP on my Nexus 7, but never look at them. Thanks for the increase in my knowledge base.

That explains my lack of knowledge about them. I fly on the other coast and have never flown anything that could get high enough to even remotely worry about the high ifr charts. I have them downloaded in GP on my Nexus 7, but never look at them. Thanks for the increase in my knowledge base.

You're welcome!

Was there a discussion in here about linking GP to microsoft FSX? I've been reading up on it, and it can be done.

Anyone here done it yet? Is there a thread on it in any other forum on the board? Thanks in advance.

Was there a discussion in here about linking GP to microsoft FSX? I've been reading up on it, and it can be done.

Anyone here done it yet? Is there a thread on it in any other forum on the board? Thanks in advance.
Txflyer, I have my GP set up to work with FSX.

You need one additional piece of software on your sim PC, FSUIPC (you may already have it), and you need a bluetooth serial port. I believe you might need the pay version of FSUIPC, but I am not really sure since I have had mine for a while.

For my PC I had to go get a $10 bluetooth transceiver that plugs into a USB port from Radio Shack because the built-in BT couldn't be set up as a serial port (2 yr old HP desktop).

You will also need a GPS over BT app on your tablet, I use Bluetooth GPS by GG MobLab (free I believe on Google Play).

Basically, you set the BT transceiver up as a BT serial port on your PC using a setting in FSUIPC and it will broadacast in-game GPS NMEA data.

For GP, you set up 'allow mock locations' under developer settings on your tab, turn off the built-in GPS, start the Bluetooth GPS App and pair the tablet to your computer.

It actually takes way more time to type it out than it takes to set it up.

I am going to prepare a full write up with screen shots for my blog - I used the same setup with Avilution's AviationMap app which is my standby nav/map application.

Once paired up, it behaves as in the plane and is, in my opinion, a great training aid. I haven't been flying much in the real world, so I use the sim to keep skills frosty and one key element is being able to manage things like GP for getting frequencies, integrating ADS-B/network Wx into your in-flight decision making process, jumping screens to read PDF Flight Manuals, etc.

'Gimp

Txflyer, I have my GP set up to work with FSX.

You need one additional piece of software on your sim PC, FSUIPC (you may already have it), and you need a bluetooth serial port. I believe you might need the pay version of FSUIPC, but I am not really sure since I have had mine for a while.

For my PC I had to go get a $10 bluetooth transceiver that plugs into a USB port from Radio Shack because the built-in BT couldn't be set up as a serial port (2 yr old HP desktop).

You will also need a GPS over BT app on your tablet, I use Bluetooth GPS by GG MobLab (free I believe on Google Play).

Basically, you set the BT transceiver up as a BT serial port on your PC using a setting in FSUIPC and it will broadacast in-game GPS NMEA data.

For GP, you set up 'allow mock locations' under developer settings on your tab, turn off the built-in GPS, start the Bluetooth GPS App and pair the tablet to your computer.

It actually takes way more time to type it out than it takes to set it up.

I am going to prepare a full write up with screen shots for my blog - I used the same setup with Avilution's AviationMap app which is my standby nav/map application.

Once paired up, it behaves as in the plane and is, in my opinion, a great training aid. I haven't been flying much in the real world, so I use the sim to keep skills frosty and one key element is being able to manage things like GP for getting frequencies, integrating ADS-B/network Wx into your in-flight decision making process, jumping screens to read PDF Flight Manuals, etc.

'Gimp

Thanks. I use FSX to keep sharp and think it's a good training aid. It helps me anyway ... :redface:

I'll get to work on linking GP up with FS. You must get the pay version of that file you mention, but that's o.k. I buy upgrades for FS. I have the RealityXP line of instruments, and the 430/530W modules and build my own panels.

I frankensteined a C-185 that looks and operates a whole bunch like my own plane. :wink2:

Slightly tangential but there are some cheap apps that will let you easily do this with X-Plane. That doesn't require any equipment - X-Plane can natively broadcast position data over the network and the app on the tablet just accepts the data feed and sets the device's GPS location to whatever is broadcast. It works fine with every navigation app I've tried it with, including Pilot (though not recently as I didn't subscribe yet).

Slightly tangential but there are some cheap apps that will let you easily do this with X-Plane. That doesn't require any equipment - X-Plane can natively broadcast position data over the network and the app on the tablet just accepts the data feed and sets the device's GPS location to whatever is broadcast. It works fine with every navigation app I've tried it with, including Pilot (though not recently as I didn't subscribe yet).

I bought X-plane, and it's a better sim in my opinion, but it isn't as user friendly as FSX in a way. X-plane being open source and all, has so many tweaks to it, you almost have to be a code writer to set it up and work with planes in it.

Maybe it's just me, but FSX I can just get in and fly. X-plane is like a aeronautical engineer's program. :dunno:

I bought X-plane, and it's a better sim in my opinion, but it isn't as user friendly as FSX in a way. X-plane being open source and all, has so many tweaks to it, you almost have to be a code writer to set it up and work with planes in it.

X-Plane is not open-source, though it is available on Windows, OSX, and Linux (perhaps the last bit is causing confusion). Flightgear is the big open source flight simulator. I haven't really messed with it recently - it is REALLY lacking in UI. The simulator engine itself seems decent, but it is a real pain to set up each flight and unless something has changed just moving to another airport involves exiting/restarting. That said, the last time I looked at it somebody was working on a pretty serious free 737 implementation (FMS, many systems, etc) - not really comparable to the high-end proprietary FSX aircraft but it was making fast progress and it was FOSS.

I made the switch to X-Plane somewhat grudgingly. It certainly has elements that are superior to FSX, but it is far behind in ATC and traffic generation (not that FSX is spectacular, but at least it has some kind of ATC, routing, auto-tuning, etc), and the UI is somewhat less friendly (especially around flight setup). The GPS isn't quite as capable either, not that FSX is really spectacular there either. The main thing X-Plane has going for it is that it hasn't been abandoned - sooner or later everybody is probably going to need to make the switch so I figured the time was right. X-Plane also handles multiple CPUs and additional RAM far better - FSX really gets unstable when you load it up with textures, complex aircraft, etc. I don't think I've ever seen X-Plane crash, and now it is 64-bit so complex textures/etc should be even less of an issue.

However, much of my early concern with X-Plane was more in the context of using it for recreation. As a flight training aid I think it is at least as useful as FSX. I'm not really using the radios at all in the sim as neither sim is terribly realistic in that area - I'd probably use something like Pilotedge if I wanted radio practice. Likewise I'm not so likely to be jumping from place to place and so on - I'm more likely to just set up at an airport and fly around locally as I would while learning. But I don't really want to get into the whole debate about whether flight sims are useful for instruction in the first place - my personal feeling is that they have areas where they are useful but you need to understand their limitations and not rely on them to get the feel of flying.

X-Plane is not open-source, though it is available on Windows, OSX, and Linux (perhaps the last bit is causing confusion). Flightgear is the big open source flight simulator. I haven't really messed with it recently - it is REALLY lacking in UI. The simulator engine itself seems decent, but it is a real pain to set up each flight and unless something has changed just moving to another airport involves exiting/restarting. That said, the last time I looked at it somebody was working on a pretty serious free 737 implementation (FMS, many systems, etc) - not really comparable to the high-end proprietary FSX aircraft but it was making fast progress and it was FOSS.

I made the switch to X-Plane somewhat grudgingly. It certainly has elements that are superior to FSX, but it is far behind in ATC and traffic generation (not that FSX is spectacular, but at least it has some kind of ATC, routing, auto-tuning, etc), and the UI is somewhat less friendly (especially around flight setup). The GPS isn't quite as capable either, not that FSX is really spectacular there either. The main thing X-Plane has going for it is that it hasn't been abandoned - sooner or later everybody is probably going to need to make the switch so I figured the time was right. X-Plane also handles multiple CPUs and additional RAM far better - FSX really gets unstable when you load it up with textures, complex aircraft, etc. I don't think I've ever seen X-Plane crash, and now it is 64-bit so complex textures/etc should be even less of an issue.

However, much of my early concern with X-Plane was more in the context of using it for recreation. As a flight training aid I think it is at least as useful as FSX. I'm not really using the radios at all in the sim as neither sim is terribly realistic in that area - I'd probably use something like Pilotedge if I wanted radio practice. Likewise I'm not so likely to be jumping from place to place and so on - I'm more likely to just set up at an airport and fly around locally as I would while learning. But I don't really want to get into the whole debate about whether flight sims are useful for instruction in the first place - my personal feeling is that they have areas where they are useful but you need to understand their limitations and not rely on them to get the feel of flying.

I find the flight sims very helpful and in a sense, they can help when you've never flown a plane that you're looking to buy maybe. I was thinking about getting a Christen Eagle, so I found one, downloaded it, and I have flown it. Now I know kind of what the layout is for when I get in a real one.

I know that sounds hokey, and people will say it is not accurate, but it's accurate enough to give you a little idea of where maybe some of the switches and layout are.

One thing I've learned reading about FSX is it is not a video game. It is an actual rendering program that they say has so much power that only maybe CAD has more power. FSX uses tremendous resources from your computer.

Probably 90% of the PCs out there are not set up right or barely capable to run FSX. What you need is a computer that's built for FSX. They recommend no less than a 4 ghz board, 8GB DDR3 RAM, GTX series or better Nvidia card, and Intel i7 processor. Cores are not as big a deal with FSX because it is single core heavy. What you want is speed.

That's a long winded way of saying most of us do not have the hardware to run FSX properly, and no amount of tweaks will ever get it to run it's best. Sorry for the sidetrack y'all.... :redface:

Last edited:
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/09/users-report-new-nexus-7-suffering-from-gps-issues/

Also, here is another option for those seeking an even lower cost alternative. This tablet actually has pretty decent reviews.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/08/hisense-cuts-sero-7-tablet-prices/

Searched and only found one mention of the Sero 7... has anyone tried the garmin app on one of these? Thinking about picking one up, but if it's a POS I'd rather jump to the other end of the spectrum and get something with 3g/4g capability.

Though I'd give you guys a heads up. I'm taking the Tab 3 back and getting the Nexus 7 like I'd originally planned. It appears that the 32G sim can't be addressed by the tablet other than a place to store downloaded media. So it's still an 8G device.

Great, got the Nexus 7 and downloaded the Garmin Pilot trial. I can't get it to recognize the internal GPS. The google map feature tracks my movement (even very small movements) so I assume GPS is working OK. There was no problem with GPS when I had the Tab 3. Any ideas? I'm not going to purchase the ap until I figure this one out.

Question for you guys. So I just bought my Nexus 7 and downloaded Garmin Pilot and it appears the Android version doesn't yet have the VFR map available yet like they have on the iPad version? I'm talking about the basic map that shows airspace very clearly and some geographic features (like you'd see on Garmin portable GPS like Area 500). Any idea when that map feature will be included on the Android version? I'm pretty disappointed as that was my favorite feature on the iPad version and something ForeFlight doesn't offer. What gives?:dunno:

Question for you guys. So I just bought my Nexus 7 and downloaded Garmin Pilot and it appears the Android version doesn't yet have the VFR map available yet like they have on the iPad version? I'm talking about the basic map that shows airspace very clearly and some geographic features (like you'd see on Garmin portable GPS like Area 500). Any idea when that map feature will be included on the Android version? I'm pretty disappointed as that was my favorite feature on the iPad version and something ForeFlight doesn't offer. What gives?:dunno:

GP shows sectionals.

GP shows sectionals.

I realize that, but on the iPad version there's an additional map option for VFR that shows airspace and a few other features -- so not as cluttered as the sectional.

Another question.

Did the new GP updates address the traffic pattern direction anywhere?

Am I missing something? Other than the sectional itself, is there an indication of traffic pattern direction anywhere else in GP?

I realize that, but on the iPad version there's an additional map option for VFR that shows airspace and a few other features -- so not as cluttered as the sectional.

I think you're talking about what Garmin calls "dynamic maps" - basically a vector map. This is not yet available for the Android version. When I asked about it at OSH (2 months ago), they said it was in the works but was a pretty major change and would likely be several months or longer before it was rolled out to the Android version.

txflyer said:
Another question.

Did the new GP updates address the traffic pattern direction anywhere?

Am I missing something? Other than the sectional itself, is there an indication of traffic pattern direction anywhere else in GP?

I've mentioned this to Garmin support multiple times, in email and in person at OSH. I've even suggested that compared to many of the feature requests being made (such as the vector map above), this one has got to be almost trivial to implement. So, not sure why it hasn't happened yet. But yes, as far as I know, the only way to see pattern direction is by looking for "RP" on the sectional, even with the latest updates.

Last edited:
when flying with GP on an android device: do you switch apps? if so do you ever experience a delay in GPS signal; when returning to GP?

At times I'll switch to another app such as Sporty's E6B, AFD app, etc., and I have had a delay in GPS signal (lock in) when returning to GP. Now I just use my android phone for the non navigation task, so the Nexus 7 doesn't have to relocate itself.

I think you're talking about what Garmin calls "dynamic maps" - basically a vector map. This is not yet available for the Android version. When I asked about it at OSH (2 months ago), they said it was in the works but was a pretty major change and would likely be several months or longer before it was rolled out to the Android version.

Exactly, thanks, didn't know that's what they called it. Here's an article about its release on the iPad: http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...2013-04-09/garmin-pilot-switches-dynamic-maps.

Here's an excerpt: The dynamic mapping mode can be seen by selecting VFR or IFR maps (not the typical Sectionals, TACs, WACs or IFR charts). In the map view, users can customize the map to great extent by touching the right arrow next to the map type (Roads/Borders, VFR or IFR) for advanced map setup. Adjustments are possible to airports, navaids, airspaces and cities, mostly related to how far away each type is visible and the label sizes. For example, you can set large airports to be visible from, say, 50 nm away, so they won’t pop up on the chart until your aircraft is 50 nm or closer to those types of airports.

I sent Garmin Support an email inquiry about any plans to roll dynamic maps out on the Android version. Frustrating that one platform lags the other and that they show screenshots of GP with dynamic maps on the Android app download page, but it doesn't come equipped with it! I will post their response here when I get one.

I sent Garmin Support an email inquiry about any plans to roll dynamic maps out on the Android version. Frustrating that one platform lags the other and that they show screenshots of GP with dynamic maps on the Android app download page, but it doesn't come equipped with it! I will post their response here when I get one.

Literally as I posted this, their reply came in ... looks like several more months like Steve suggested above.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you for your feedback and for using Garmin Pilot application.

The Android developers are working on adding the dynamic vector IFR and VFR maps into the Garmin Pilot application but it will most likely be a few more months before they are available.
[/FONT]

Asked Garmin about this in their booth at Oshkosh 2012... they said they were working on it. It's pathetic that they can't provide this simple info.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1243447&highlight=pattern#post1243447

It would seem so simple since my 496 has it. Oh shame I must look at the sectional. We're so jaded. :lol:

I was glad to see runway extension arrows showed up with one of GP updates.

Good job on that one Garmin. Keep it up. :)

Oh by the way, I'll sidetrack here and say a flyer buddy just told me he loves his 696 Garmin. The old fashioned one, not the touch screen. He didn't like the touchscreen. Said it was junk. The buttons are where it's at. According to him. ;) ..he buys and sells a lot of them. I'm thinking about upgrading my 496 to the 696. :confused:

Last edited:
Mark,
If you want to play with the 696 we can go fly in my Cessna or I will let you borrow one of mine to try. I also have wing x on my ipad mini but it has so much glare I want to throw it out the window :)
I just sold several 796's and tried one. I hated it. When you touch the screen everything pops up except what you are trying to touch.
I called Garmin aviation support and talked to the guy for awhile. He had the same opinion. He convinced me to ditch the junky 796's and keep my 696's. The 696 has the rotary dial which just puts you a click away from any info you need. The 696 is a huge upgrade over your 496. I finally got the 696 mounted solid in the Eagle. Don't have to worry about it slinging through the canopy when I snap it. LOL!

Mark,
If you want to play with the 696 we can go fly in my Cessna or I will let you borrow one of mine to try. I also have wing x on my ipad mini but it has so much glare I want to throw it out the window :)
I just sold several 796's and tried one. I hated it. When you touch the screen everything pops up except what you are trying to touch.
I called Garmin aviation support and talked to the guy for awhile. He had the same opinion. He convinced me to ditch the junky 796's and keep my 696's. The 696 has the rotary dial which just puts you a click away from any info you need. The 696 is a huge upgrade over your 496. I finally got the 696 mounted solid in the Eagle. Don't have to worry about it slinging through the canopy when I snap it. LOL!

Fantastic. I'll figure out where to fit it. :rockon:

You caught my reference in my earlier post to 'my buddy' who says the 696 is where it's at... :goofy:

Great, got the Nexus 7 and downloaded the Garmin Pilot trial. I can't get it to recognize the internal GPS. The google map feature tracks my movement (even very small movements) so I assume GPS is working OK. There was no problem with GPS when I had the Tab 3. Any ideas? I'm not going to purchase the ap until I figure this one out.

What's the firmware rev level? You can find it on the Settings, About page. See if there is an update ready to be applied.

Fantastic. I'll figure out where to fit it. :rockon:

You caught my reference in my earlier post to 'my buddy' who says the 696 is where it's at... :goofy:

Mine fit good here in the 172 :)

Attachments

• panel 172.jpg
    panel 172.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 28

Those are the vector maps. I have not heard a time frame on those, but you can bet they're working on it.

I am still seeing major issues with the SafeTaxi function and am curious if anyone else has a similar glitch.

When landing with SafeTaxi set to Auto, I routinely get a No SafeTaxi data error, but if I hit the Download button and then back (not downloading anything, just going to DL page where it shows SafeTaxi data is current then hitting back button), the SafeTaxi data displays correctly. The SafeTaxi database is current but GP seems to not read the state of the data correctly the first time?

I'll be reporting it as a bug but am curious if anyone has same problem?

'Gimp

Last edited:
I am still seeing major issues with the SafeTaxi function and am curious if anyone else has a similar glitch.

When landing with SafeTaxi set to Auto, I routinely get a No SafeTaxi data error, but if I hit the Download button and then back (not downloading anything, just going to DL page where it shows SafeTaxi data is current then hitting back button), the SafeTaxi data displays correctly. The SafeTaxi database is current but GP seems to not read the state of the data correctly the first time?

I'll be reporting it as a bug but am curious if anyone has same problem?

'Gimp

Yes sir, I've seen that. Only I didn't know to go to the downloads page and refresh it. Mine just never shows up. :dunno:

I just bought a 696 because as fun and easy and fast downloads as the GP app is, I don't trust it. I've had it blink out on me several times during flight. The screen sometimes stays on, sometimes it powers down on it's own even though I've set it to stay on. Sometimes it drops the link to the GDL-39, if you can get it to pair up in the first place.

Overall, I'm not satisfied or trust GP. Yet ... :redface:

Last edited:
I've had a similar issue with the Nexus reporting that I don't have a valid SafeTaxi subscription but it comes up fine on my iPad 2.

Getting cranky with Garmin's Android feature set compared to iOS.

I have a lot invested into what is proving to be a perpetually obsolete piece of software. Been using it since fall of 2012, have a Garmin GLO and a GDL 39. Have flown with it from Seattle to Oshkosh and through Canada up to to Ketchikan. I initially used it on a Motorola Xoom, then moved to Galaxy Note 3 8.0 and my Galaxy S3. I'm committed to Android.

But jiminy christmas! iOS Pilot has airspace, terrain, obstacles, dynamic maps with declutter feature, and a real track-up function.

Whats worse, Garmin doesn't communicate with their customers about their update and feature release schedule. They don't show up on any forums I know of to answer questions. Will anrdoid EVER get these features? Garmin hasn't said it will happen.

Frankly, the Android market is still wide open for a groundbreaking ForeFront-like app. Who knows if Garmin will ever get us there. If they are sensitive about losing aera and other hardware customers, they need to get over it and realize that tablets and software are the future. And Android-based devices outsell iOS devices 2 to 1.

/rant

Getting cranky with Garmin's Android feature set compared to iOS.

I have a lot invested into what is proving to be a perpetually obsolete piece of software. Been using it since fall of 2012, have a Garmin GLO and a GDL 39. Have flown with it from Seattle to Oshkosh and through Canada up to to Ketchikan. I initially used it on a Motorola Xoom, then moved to Galaxy Note 3 8.0 and my Galaxy S3. I'm committed to Android.

But jiminy christmas! iOS Pilot has airspace, terrain, obstacles, dynamic maps with declutter feature, and a real track-up function.

Whats worse, Garmin doesn't communicate with their customers about their update and feature release schedule. They don't show up on any forums I know of to answer questions. Will anrdoid EVER get these features? Garmin hasn't said it will happen.

Frankly, the Android market is still wide open for a groundbreaking ForeFront-like app. Who knows if Garmin will ever get us there. If they are sensitive about losing aera and other hardware customers, they need to get over it and realize that tablets and software are the future. And Android-based devices outsell iOS devices 2 to 1.

/rant

Ditto :yes:

THis is about vector maps and terrain information.

They said (I asked few weeks ago) that terrain feature will be added to android version soon; I believe that they are working on major version with dynamic maps, terrain info and so on.

And I hope that they will add 'kneeboard' aopa pages to the chart section (I use IFR charts as airport charts now, as they have almost everything I need except pattern direction, but we need VFR airport information chart as well and the best chart for this purpose is AOPA kneeboard page.)

So let's see, as for now all I don't see in GP are
- Terrain
- Dynamic maps.
- Nearest airport (and other objects) search
- profile view (available on for example lawrence GPS).

One interesting bug is, that if you have both sectional and TAC maps on the screen, then TAC map can sometimes obscure airport labels on sectional map.

Last edited:
when flying with GP on an android device: do you switch apps? if so do you ever experience a delay in GPS signal; when returning to GP?

At times I'll switch to another app such as Sporty's E6B, AFD app, etc., and I have had a delay in GPS signal (lock in) when returning to GP. Now I just use my android phone for the non navigation task, so the Nexus 7 doesn't have to relocate itself.

You must try to enable 'multi screen mode' on Android (on mine it is done by pushing 'back' button for few seconds). It, in theory, allows to switch to another app without suspending first one.

I did not switch in the flight, so I can't answer exactly on your question, and then, on my Note 3 8", GPS works extremely well (it even can catch up satellites from inside the room). But this is a problem on some older phone, where GPS catch-up takes significant time.

You must try to enable 'multi screen mode' on Android (on mine it is done by pushing 'back' button for few seconds). It, in theory, allows to switch to another app without suspending first one.

Kinda sorta - Android all the way back to the G1 has always supported multitasking, but only within the limits of memory. The app on-screen is almost (but not entirely) certain to not be terminated while you're using it, but for just about anything else it comes down how much RAM is available. In recent years this has been less of a problem, especially if you have a Nexus device (Google tends to spec those out with a lot of extra RAM since they plan on several years of OS updates).

On fairly old versions of Android pulling up the list of applications was done by holding down the home button. On more recent devices there is typically a dedicated button for this. Of course, some phone vendors re-skin the OS so they can move things around. However, even though the task switch screen shows you a bunch of thumbnails of running apps, there is no guarantee that any of those apps are actually running. Try loading a big webpage in your browser. Then go back to the home screen and launch a big app, then go back and launch another app, and so on. After maybe 10 apps bring up the task list, scroll way back to your browser, and activate it. If the webpage you were previously on instantly is displayed then it was running the whole time. If you get a progress bar and the page reloads then it was actually terminated, but the OS remembered what it was doing and had it restore itself to that point.

Apps like Garmin Pilot with all the charts/etc are very RAM-intensive. The OS WILL terminate them if you navigate away from them for any period of time. The OS will also quickly de-activate the GPS to save power if the app doesn't display a notification in the bar (which is why most navigation apps have notifications).

If you do plan on doing a lot of multi-tasking on Android and are looking to buy a device, be sure to find out how much RAM it has (NOT how much flash it has, though that matters for some things too - including aviation charts if the device isn't dedicated to one purpose). RAM is expensive and vendors tend to be stingy with it since most people just look at the amount of flash storage. BTW, that is true for any component on a computing device that consumers don't think to look at - PCs are sold with plenty of "MHz" and "GB/TB" but with 5400 RPM hard drives.

Back