Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Aloha fellow Android aviators!

Couple questions about GP. I am coming to GP from Avilution's AviationMaps App and must say the feature set and UI on GP are amazing. I have tried Naviator, Avare, and AnyWhere Map Freedom but AviationMaps was my choice, until I checked out the latest version of GP - once I downloaded GP it was all over.

I am currently on the 30-day trial of the base app, but have already subscribed to SafeTaxi so I could test it out in my FSX sim setup (not current for real-world flight) and while the basic GP app runs flawlessly on my trusty Acer Iconia A500 (1 GHz Dual-Core Tegra 2, 16GB RAM + 32GB SD, running ICS 4.0.3) using the onboard GPS, tethered to my RAZR HD phone's GPS or when fed mock GPS data from my FSX setup I have noticed two things:

First is I routinely get a 'No SafeTaxi Data' error message when trying to access SafeTaxi charts - usually all I have to do is tap the Update button, hit Update All which validates there is no new data, then the chart is there - I did see the chart pull up automatically upon landing and slowing below 40KIAS, the issue is displaying charts for the first time and usually, but not always, when I am not at the airport with the SafeTaxi chart (e.g., during planning and/or enroute). No big deal when playing around at my desk or flying FSX, but not acceptable when aviating for real.

Second issue occurred while running a test flight from Brown Field San Diego (KSDM) to Sacramento Executive (KSAC) in FSX, the moving map data goes checkerboard during what appears to be redraw (about 3 or 4 times per minute in some cases) - I was running Track Up and cruising about 250 KTS GS if that matters. No real issue here, just annoying - I don't recall issues with AviationMaps redrawing maps even at jet speeds.

I am curious if either or both might be artifacts of running the demo version or any other thoughts you guys with more experience with the App might have?

Had you actually downloaded the data for the area you were flying? It sounds like it was trying to download it on the fly. Be sure you've gone to the download area and actually download the charts for those areas you'll be flying over.

Had you actually downloaded the data for the area you were flying? It sounds like it was trying to download it on the fly. Be sure you've gone to the download area and actually download the charts for those areas you'll be flying over.
Thanks Loren. I had current Sectionals, TAC's, IAP's and IFR Low charts downloaded for the entire state of CA at the time of the test - I have since noticed that it seems to be related to Wx refresh as well when static (not moving). I am going to reboot the tablet and see if that fixes it - I reboot shortly before flight in the real world, it might be something simple.

'Gimp

Thanks Loren. I had current Sectionals, TAC's, IAP's and IFR Low charts downloaded for the entire state of CA at the time of the test - I have since noticed that it seems to be related to Wx refresh as well when static (not moving). I am going to reboot the tablet and see if that fixes it - I reboot shortly before flight in the real world, it might be something simple.

'Gimp

If you have the weather overlay turned on you'll get hash marks over the display when the weather data is out of date.

If you have the weather overlay turned on you'll get hash marks over the display when the weather data is out of date.
Copy that - come to think of it that makes sense, a buddy who uses FF or WingX on his I-Pad had a similar issue - I'll bet that is it.

Thanks!

'Gimp

I have been unable to duplicate the checkerboarding issue so I assume it was either aging Wx info or just a glitch. I did get to run a nice KMYF-KSAC sim flight this morning pairing GP on my tablet via FSUIPC and the Bluetooth GPS app to FSX, flying the outstanding Lotus Simulations L-39C Albatros with the RealityXP GNS 430 WAAS using today's real-time weather. Wheels-up to wheels down and shutdown on the ramp at Sacramento Executive was right at 1.5hrs.

It was good to exercise more of the GP feature-set and UI in a 'flight' environment, and I am really impressed.

Here is the Albatros over Bakersfield at FL225 and 330 KTS (also shows 2nd screen with RealityXP GNS 430 WAAS and autopilot, as well as tablet)

Here is GP on the Acer Iconia A500

The view from the front office of the Lotus L-39C

GIB's view from the back-office

Last edited:
good bye Key Lime - hello KitKat

I have been flying recently with both my Nexus 7 and iPad 2 running Garmin Pilot. For some reason my iPad version will go to sleep during flight while the Nexus keeps running. I have the "allow to sleep" feature in settings turned off. My iPad is also configured to work with my corporate system which includes a VPN and I suspect the security features may be playing a role.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Jay,
If you had $1500 and had to start over today with a new tablet, weather device and chart subscription, would you still go with an Android device?

Good question... Having both, using both, I would still go back to the mini iPad... & I hate the Apple iOS. WingX was my choice of apps. Now, after 5-6 mos. using it. I would go the same route.
CaptGary

Jay,
If you had $1500 and had to start over today with a new tablet, weather device and chart subscription, would you still go with an Android device?

Yep. IMHO, the mini-pad just isn't up to snuff.

I am basing this on an overall usability/usage scale, BTW. If I was going for purely aviation usage, and not the other 97% of my life, I might choose the mini-pad and ForeFlight based on reports I've read here.

Although -- and this is critical -- Garmin Pilot has finally reached app perfection. It has been 100% reliable, and all aspects of it -- weather, traffic, Bluetooth connectivity, GPS -- are now working seamlessly. This is a huge step for Garmin, which struggled mightily through a dozen or more versions before nailing it.

Actually, if all I used a tablet for was aviation, and I had unlimited money, I'd probably get a 796. But my tablet goes everywhere with me, so it needs to be more versatile and user friendly than either the Garmin or Apple devices -- which means Nexus 7 all the way.

And the new Nexus 7 is...amazing. That screen! I could write a sonnet about that gorgeous HD screen. With that, its new camera, blazing speed, and amazing price point, it's really raised the bar for all other tablets to reach.

Last edited:
Long time lurker here (and Android Garmin Pilot user), wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) I see in AcroGimp's post, it looks as though the sectional view is rotated so that it's track up - or at least not north up. You can see the text on the sectional is rotated and the "N" arrow is not pointing up. How do you do this? It seems to always be north up for me.

2) Can I ask how you all use the "Active Flight Plan" versus the "File & Brief" sections? I've been planning my flights and saving them as "bookmarks" in the "Active Flight Plan" area. But when I go to "File & Brief", I can't seem to access the plans I've saved over in "Active Flight Plans" - I basically need to re-enter the route to get the briefing or file. Similary, if I've created/saved some routes in "File & Brief", I don't see them as bookmarks in the "Active Flight Plan" area, so I again need to re-enter the route to see it on the map screen.

How does one transfer a plan/route from the "Active Flight Plan" to the "File & Brief" area and vice versa?

Thanks - after not seeing much on other forums about the Android version of GP, it was real nice to stumble in here and find 36 pages!

Long time lurker here (and Android Garmin Pilot user), wanted to ask a couple of questions:

1) I see in AcroGimp's post, it looks as though the sectional view is rotated so that it's track up - or at least not north up. You can see the text on the sectional is rotated and the "N" arrow is not pointing up. How do you do this? It seems to always be north up for me.

2) Can I ask how you all use the "Active Flight Plan" versus the "File & Brief" sections? I've been planning my flights and saving them as "bookmarks" in the "Active Flight Plan" area. But when I go to "File & Brief", I can't seem to access the plans I've saved over in "Active Flight Plans" - I basically need to re-enter the route to get the briefing or file. Similary, if I've created/saved some routes in "File & Brief", I don't see them as bookmarks in the "Active Flight Plan" area, so I again need to re-enter the route to see it on the map screen.

How does one transfer a plan/route from the "Active Flight Plan" to the "File & Brief" area and vice versa?

Thanks - after not seeing much on other forums about the Android version of GP, it was real nice to stumble in here and find 36 pages!

1) map page, menu > track up
2) on the file and brief page, menu > new > import active flight plan. If you fly the same routes on as regular basis, you can use the "history" button.

And welcome to POA.

Steve, Matthew beat me to it, 'track up' is a Map option, and to activate a bookmarked flight plan from the Active Flight Plan tab, as he says - select your bookmarked flightplan and doubletap - presto.

FYI - I flashed a developmental ROM from the XDA Developers forum last week that brought my nearly 3 year old A500 to JellyBean (Android 4.3) - am now overclocked to 1.5 GHz and it runs GP flawlessly - internal GPS performance has improved as well.

I did learn that flashing a new ROM changes the ID of the device as far as GP's subscription element is concerned, I lost my SafeTaxi subscription for example. You can contact Garmin Customer Service with your FlyGarmin account info and the order # from your subscription e-mail and they will reset for you.

'Gimp

I can't wait to get my hands on a LG Gpad. Sounds like serious competition to the Nexus 7.

Steve, Matthew beat me to it, 'track up' is a Map option, and to activate a bookmarked flight plan from the Active Flight Plan tab, as he says - select your bookmarked flightplan and doubletap - presto.

'Gimp

Thanks to you and Matthew for the tips. Can't believe I didn't see those options before, but there they are!

Still so far behind IPAD version... I purchased a Hisense Pro to check the android version of Pilot and was not that impressed. They need to catch up to thw IPAD version before I would consider switching.

Stupid question and maybe it has been answered. For an IFR route, say your route is comprised to radials off a VOR, any way to input that into Garmin Pilot, or am I SOL?

Stupid question and maybe it has been answered. For an IFR route, say your route is comprised to radials off a VOR, any way to input that into Garmin Pilot, or am I SOL?

All such routes are defined by other VORs or intersections. Just enter the defining waypoints and you're set.

All such routes are defined by other VORs or intersections. Just enter the defining waypoints and you're set.

No they aren't. I'm routinely cleared the following route. FLG179R PXR351R PXR. There is no way point at that location. The only way I can even think about trying to put it in is to put in the lat/long of that location.

No they aren't. I'm routinely cleared the following route. FLG179R PXR351R PXR. There is no way point at that location. The only way I can even think about trying to put it in is to put in the lat/long of that location.

Like this:

7y7e5eha.jpg

a3a7ytyh.jpg

After the waypoint is created, edit route to include PXR from that crossing radial pair waypoint.

Like this:

7y7e5eha.jpg

a3a7ytyh.jpg

After the waypoint is created, edit route to include PXR from that crossing radial pair waypoint.

Cool stuff. Didn't know that was in the program, but I didn't take a ton of time to play with it. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry...misunderstood your question. Ive never gotten that in a clearance in three decades of IFR. But I think you figured out your solution. It seems slightly easier in ForeFlight but can be done in either with rubber banding.

Sorry...misunderstood your question. Ive never gotten that in a clearance in three decades of IFR. But I think you figured out your solution. It seems slightly easier in ForeFlight but can be done in either with rubber banding.

I hadn't either and it's not what we file, but it's what we get.

So what is new in 2.6.3? I see it was updated this week in the Play store but it doesn't show up automatically as an update on my devices, and the "What's New" on the Play store listing only mentions 2.6.2.

I'm guessing then that 2.6.3 maybe fixes a device compatibility issue with certain devices and/or OS revs and only those devices will get an update notification??

According to the What's New In This Version for 2.6.3:

New - Supports selection of a runway when loading STARs and SID's in the active flight plan

New - Support use of Q-Routes and T-Routes for RNAV equipped aircraft

New - Show ADS-B ground station signal quality in header when connected to GDL-39

New - Show traffic status icons on main map when traffic layer is enabled

Improved - Easier to select Rhode Island, Delaware and DC in the Approach Plates download map

Improved - Added option to view temps in the winds aloft map

Fixed - Various reported fixes and crashes

It showed up for me yesterday or the day before, both as a Play notification and on launching the app.

'Gimp

Last edited:
Nope - I haven't seen any notifications yet.

I've noticed something, though:

1) nothing running that requires GPS, so no GPS symbol in the upper left.

2) start Garmin Pilot and the "searching for GPS" symbol appears in the upper left. I'm indoors, in a spot where I rarely get reception.

3) exit Garmin Pilot. "Searching for GPS" symbol remains active, battery life is probably being affected.

4) can go into settings/apps and force close GP even though it should already be stopped. "Searching for GPS" symbol remains active.

5) cycle power to N7 and "searching for GPS" symbol is gone.

Anybody else seen this?

Any ideas on how to tell which programs might be using GPS? I suppose GP might turn on the GPS system and not turn it back off when it exits.

Nope - I haven't seen any notifications yet.

I've noticed something, though:

1) nothing running that requires GPS, so no GPS symbol in the upper left.

2) start Garmin Pilot and the "searching for GPS" symbol appears in the upper left. I'm indoors, in a spot where I rarely get reception.

3) exit Garmin Pilot. "Searching for GPS" symbol remains active, battery life is probably being affected.

4) can go into settings/apps and force close GP even though it should already be stopped. "Searching for GPS" symbol remains active.

5) cycle power to N7 and "searching for GPS" symbol is gone.

Anybody else seen this?

Any ideas on how to tell which programs might be using GPS? I suppose GP might turn on the GPS system and not turn it back off when it exits.
If my GPS is on prior to activating GP I see the same thing, but if I say 'continue' rather than push over to settings to turn GPS on I don't see it. Cycling power does it on my Acer A500 as well.

'Gimp

Well,today, GP decided to turn off the GPS when the app closes. It wasn't doing that yesterday.

I still haven't seen any notification of 2.6.3. When I looked at the app store, yesterday I think, it still said 2.6.2.

Well,today, GP decided to turn off the GPS when the app closes. It wasn't doing that yesterday.

I still haven't seen any notification of 2.6.3. When I looked at the app store, yesterday I think, it still said 2.6.2.

Same here.

And the app crashed three times between Galveston and New Orleans. It's been rock stable, so this was very disappointing. It always restarted immediately, so it was only an annoyance, but I thought we were past this nonsense.

Just got the update notice - 2.6.4

>>>
Version 2.6.4

Fixed: Issue with animated map layers.
Version 2.6.3

New: Supports selection of a runway when loading Standard Terminal Arrival Routes (STARs) and Standard Instrument Departure Procedures (SIDs) into the active flight plan.
New: Support the use of Q-Routes and T-Routes for RNAV equipped aircraft.
New: Show ADS-B ground station signal quality in the header when connected to the GDL 39.
New: Show traffic status icons on the main map when the traffic layer is enabled.
Improved: Easier to select Rhode Island, Delaware and District of Columbia in the Approach Plates download map.
Improved: Added an option to view temperatures in the winds aloft map.
Fixed: Various reported fixes and crashes.

<<<

Still running 2.6.2, haven't seen anything about updates.

What I would like fixed is a minor annoyance that has existed for may versions, including 2.6.2. I get a notification up in the status line (top of screen) that there are updates to the database available. Go to the update panel there are no updates available. Why? This is not a new problem.

Still running 2.6.2, haven't seen anything about updates.

What I would like fixed is a minor annoyance that has existed for may versions, including 2.6.2. I get a notification up in the status line (top of screen) that there are updates to the database available. Go to the update panel there are no updates available. Why? This is not a new problem.

I remember seeing that too, but it quit a while ago. I've been on 2.6.2 for a while until this afternoon when I got the update notice. I went from 2.6.2 too 2.6.4

Just got the update notice - 2.6.4

>>>
Version 2.6.4

Fixed: Issue with animated map layers.
Version 2.6.3

New: Supports selection of a runway when loading Standard Terminal Arrival Routes (STARs) and Standard Instrument Departure Procedures (SIDs) into the active flight plan.
New: Support the use of Q-Routes and T-Routes for RNAV equipped aircraft.
New: Show ADS-B ground station signal quality in the header when connected to the GDL 39.
New: Show traffic status icons on the main map when the traffic layer is enabled.
Improved: Easier to select Rhode Island, Delaware and District of Columbia in the Approach Plates download map.
Improved: Added an option to view temperatures in the winds aloft map.
Fixed: Various reported fixes and crashes.

<<<

How is it that Garmin is pushing this update selectively? How is it that they still show 2.6.2 in the Play Store?

This is weird.

Wow. I just realized GP was not updating versions automatically on mine, and I just went from 2.3.2 to this new one. I had to go to the app store and tell it to install, then it updated.

Huge difference. :goofy:

Back