Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

OK, now for a different question -

Nexus 7, Android (current version?) Current version of Garmin Pilot. I get an indication in the status bar (top of screen) saying downloads are available. Bring up the app, go to downloads and all appear to be OK and it says no downloads are available. Looks like one part of the app doesn't know what the other part is doing.

I've seen that, too. It did that multiple times a day for about a week or two. Now it doesn't. A notification that downloads are available, but the downloads screen says everything is up to date. I thought, maybe, that the next cycle of charts was available and it was trying to let me know, but I didn't see any indication of new charts. One day it just stopped doing that.

From the main download screen do the Update All button. You'll see which ones they are.

Actually, when I get the message and then touch the Update All button it says everything is up to date. Hence the confusion.

I've seen that, too. It did that multiple times a day for about a week or two. Now it doesn't. A notification that downloads are available, but the downloads screen says everything is up to date. I thought, maybe, that the next cycle of charts was available and it was trying to let me know, but I didn't see any indication of new charts. One day it just stopped doing that.

Mine still does that. Maybe someday mine will stop, too. :D

Actually, when I get the message and then touch the Update All button it says everything is up to date. Hence the confusion.

Mine still does that. Maybe someday mine will stop, too. :D

Since the databases run in cycles and are updated at different times during the cycle, when you see the "download" option, it is letting you know that cycles for certain (if not all areas) are available for download. They are not necessarily "current" since you can download them prior to the new cycle begin date.

The "update" button is used exclusively for chart updates. From what I understand reading the "help" file (Wow! An American who reads the manual), electronics charts can be updated at any time. When that happens, the "Update All" button becomes available to indicate an update is available.

So, with all that said, I wonder when you see that message, it is a timing thing between cycles you still need to download and updates that can be done to the outdated items. In other words, the system is not smart enough to know the "update" is being overridden by the new cycle.

Is anyone using the nexus 7 without an external gps with good results?

Does the nexus 7 have any of the overheating issues that ipad users report?

If I have the Nexus in my lap or on the seat next to me I can get a good signal. If I put it in the side pocket, it tends to lose the signal.

I don't know about overheating issues, but I haven't seen any problems.

Thanks! Probably going to put it on the yoke, I'd like it to be functional till I add ads-b down the road, hard to beat the value of the nexus price points. Looking forward to seeing what today's unveiling brings.

I have a Nexus 7 with GP that I fly with, it works well.

I've used it extensively without the external GPS, and it works well. I've had no overheating problems, even in South Texas heat.

Awesome, I love my iphone, but I think this is a better fit for what I want out of it. Thanks for the feedback.

I was never able to get a reliable a GPS lock with my N7 in Cessna 152/172s, no matter how I positioned it, so I use an External GPS myself.

No overheating issues.

I have it in a yoke map and use an external GPS. However, the internal GPS seems to work well in this position. When I fly in a student's airplane, the internal GPS works well as long as I hold the Nexus up. It loses position when sitting in my lap. No overheating problems in normal use, including pattern work at over 95 F.

I wonder if the new N7 will fit into the existing docking station....

I'm at a cross roads.

My Ipad is the first Gen. My FF subscription has expired. My GP subscription for the N7 will expire in Oct.

I need to decide on a platform and software. I know many on this thread will say stick with N7 and GP; but with a new mini to be released this fall, I'm scratching my head. Maybe I'll flip a coin.

Just go the notice that 2.6.0 for the Nexus is ready to download.

Says it has "Multi-layer Map Support"

Now I just have to figure out what that is.

Plus another 10-12 new features.

Is there a quick way to lock Garmin Pilot active and disable the home/back/system keys?

Too many times I'm grabbing the thing to look at it and end up touching areas on the screen that I shouldn't.

I just noticed (it's probably been there quite a while) in the settings an ALERTS section. I can set the tone and vibrate mode.

What exactly triggers an alert? I'm thinking traffic only? I don't have the GDL 39, so this feature may not pertain to me. Perhaps proximity to TFR, air spaces, terrain??

I just noticed (it's probably been there quite a while) in the settings an ALERTS section. I can set the tone and vibrate mode.

What exactly triggers an alert? I'm thinking traffic only? I don't have the GDL 39, so this feature may not pertain to me. Perhaps proximity to TFR, air spaces, terrain??

I was just playing with it.

You can set a timer (either a countdown and stop, or countdown and restart). You can also set a distance alert - program in a distance either before or after a waypoint.

what page do you see the setting features?

what page do you see the setting features?
Top of screen > Tools > Alerts > Add alert

Alert types = time/location

For time: set time, then select repeating (on/off)

For location: Set relationship (before/at/after), set distance, set waypoint

You can also define a message that gets displayed when the alert is active.

Looks like a new Android Version is available as of 7/25/2013...

What's New Version 2.6.0:
+ Multi-Layer Map Support
+ A Route in Active FPL is no longer required
+ ATC Preferred Routes added - See Routes button in File & Brief (formerly known as Trip Planning)
+ Option in General Settings to display time in 12/24/Z throughout app
+ Added Time/Distance Alerts via Tools menu
+ Custom own ship icons in General Settings
+ Better GDL 39 connection management
+ Mapping system rewrite, added Map Performance switch in Map Settings
+ GPS Settings screen updated

==
Michael

OK - already found a problem with the Alerts.

Someone else try this - set a timer alert for 10 seconds, or so, just so you don't have to wait. Then go down to the Alert Message and type something in - Now, see if you can add any characters other than a..zA..Z and a space. I couldn't get it to accept a number or any other character.

Is the 2.6.0 update only for Android tablets? Because I'm not seeing it for my android phone yet.

Dunno - can you go to the app store and check? You might not have gotten the notification pushed to you yet. Sometimes it takes a day or two for everyone to get notified.

Dunno - can you go to the app store and check? You might not have gotten the notification pushed to you yet. Sometimes it takes a day or two for everyone to get notified.

Yep, there it is. never got the push notification but it was ready to update in the app store. Same with my Galaxy Tab 2...no push notification yet but it was in the App Store. Thanks for the heads up!

The new update looks good! Multi-layer maps is something I've wanted from day one. We can now show radar AND Metars AND gas prices (or whatever), rather than toggling between them.' Way cool.

Trip planning (now File and Something) is still a clusterf*ck as far as I can see, though. It's just too futzy for me to bother with.

Gotta say I'm a bit nervous launching on a 1200 NM cross country Saturday with an untried update, but we will keep our fingers crossed that it's been thoroughly debugged.

Gotta say I'm a bit nervous launching on a 1200 NM cross country Saturday with an untried update, but we will keep our fingers crossed that it's been thoroughly debugged.

No sweat :rockon:

The new update looks good! Multi-layer maps is something I've wanted from day one. We can now show radar AND Metars AND gas prices (or whatever), rather than toggling between them.' Way cool.

Trip planning (now File and Something) is still a clusterf*ck as far as I can see, though. It's just too futzy for me to bother with.

Are you saying you don't want to be a Guinea pig? ;) I played with the flight planning stuff and it is still weak.

When I first got my N7, it could lock onto the GPS signal from anywhere....even the middle of my house it seemed. It was the most sensitive GPS I had ever used. Then somewhere around the six month mark it stopped being reliable and I had instances where sitting it up on the glare screen it didn't acquire satellite lock even after 10-15 minutes. It was very frustrating. There were multiple system updates along the way and my guess is one of them hosed it. Lately it's been better, but not as good as it used to be. My iPad 4 can be laying in my lap and it always has a rock-solid signal. The N7 needs a much better view of the sky to work. I'm hoping the new one is at least as good as my iPad, if not as good as the N7 when I first got it.

Did you notice you no longer have to have a flight plan at all to use it? That's one of the new changes. I think you'll be fine on your x-c. I've flown this version quite a bit and it's been great.

I was just playing with it.

You can set a timer (either a countdown and stop, or countdown and restart). You can also set a distance alert - program in a distance either before or after a waypoint.

Yep...yesterday I setup an alert for 40 mi. from KFAR as a backup reminder to give approach a call before getting into their airspace. Worked well. I also had a repeating alert for switching tanks.

Of course, like any great feature, I want it to do WAY more! I want to have a collection of alerts I can activate and deactivate as desired. Right now you create it and it's active until you get rid of it.

I also want different triggers, say automatically start this alert over 50 mph. I'm sure we'll see it grow in capability.

So are you hearing your alerts via Bluetooth or inline?

Anyone else had a chance to try the alert message? I can't get it to accept any numeric or special characters.

Anyone else had a chance to try the alert message? I can't get it to accept any numeric or special characters.

Yes, I've used it multiple times. What "special characters" are you trying to use??

Yes, I've used it multiple times. What "special characters" are you trying to use??

Any character other than a..zA..Z doesn't work. Numbers and punctuation either don't work at all, or cause some odd behavior.

If I type "testxyz", then type a number one (for example), the "testxyz" changes to "testxyztestxyz". If I type another numeric digit, the string "testxyz" again gets appended. This on a Nexus 7.

If the message string is blank, typing a numeric or other character has no effect.

I am thinking about getting a tablet to use as a GPS in the cockpit. I don't like the small screens of most dedicated GPS units. My son has an ASUS TFT700, and I am impressed by it. Do any of you use 10 inch screens? How is that working out? Where do you keep the tablet? If you keep it on your knee, how do you handle the heat of the tablet?

I am also curious about external GPS units. Do you have to use the GDL 39 to get ADS-B using Garmin Pilot, or will another brand receiver work?

Any character other than a..zA..Z doesn't work. Numbers and punctuation either don't work at all, or cause some odd behavior.

If I type "testxyz", then type a number one (for example), the "testxyz" changes to "testxyztestxyz". If I type another numeric digit, the string "testxyz" again gets appended. This on a Nexus 7.

If the message string is blank, typing a numeric or other character has no effect.

I never used the message txt, hence my ignorance of it. The iPad version takes special characters, but the Android version does not. I'm suspect that's a minor oversight that will get fixed shortly. Heard from the product manager that there will likely be point release soon with a few little fixes.

This alert message ability just came out a couple days ago. I would have figured someone at Garmin would have tried to enter a numeric digit during testing.

This alert message ability just came out a couple days ago. I would have figured someone at Garmin would have tried to enter a numeric digit during testing.

Don't assume they do much testing. IMHO, it is pretty lacking.

Back