Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Aaaaaand, we're back. :D

I have no idea why radar stopped working as an overlay, but it is essential on any cross country -- so I'm glad it was an easy fix.

a5y6ypu2.jpg

Aaaaaand, we're back. :D

I have no idea why radar stopped working as an overlay, but it is essential on any cross country -- so I'm glad it was an easy fix.

a5y6ypu2.jpg

Nothing like a damn good thrashing to fix a computer problem! ;)

Nothing like a damn good thrashing to fix a computer problem! ;)

Amen to that.

And, as a bonus prize, I discovered that I can, indeed, get ADS-B weather not just on the ground, but in the comfort of my hangar. That is COOL.

Ok, I just loaded GP on my sons Galaxy Tab 2 7. It looks great. Some features are missing that are present on the iPad version and vice versa. I noticed that the android tablet version does have the split screen with the option to have Widgets, Panel, Charts or Safetaxi...just like the iPad verson. The android phone version does not have the split screen. One great option the tablet android version has that the iPad does not (nor does the android phone version) is the ability to scroll the Navigation Bar at the top of the Map side to sie so that you can see ALL navigation info at once. I like this!

Come on Garmin...gimme my Dynamic Maps and I won't ask for anything else:D

I want Garmin Pilot on my Nexus 7 Bluetooth/slaved to my autopilot, accepting voice commands. While it displays synthetic vision terrain information of the airport I'm landing at.

What...too much, too soon? :goofy:

Well, if the voice commands work like Siri on my iPhone or Sync in my truck, the exchange would go something like this after the button push:

VC: "How can I help you?"
Jay: "Find nearest airport"
VC: "Did you say "Find nearest heliport"?
Jay: "No, find nearest airport"
VC: "Did you say, "Find Meyerstown airport"?
Jay: "NO! Find neeeaaaarrrreeesssttt aaaaiiirrrpppooorrrttt"
VC: "Did you say "File last flight plan?"
Jay: "Cancel"
VC: "Ok, I have canceled your flight plan, where would you like to go?"

Well, if the voice commands work like Siri on my iPhone or Sync in my truck, the exchange would go something like this after the button push:

:goofy: :rofl:
Exactly!!

:lol:

Oh, so true.

I have Assistant on my Nexus 7. She gives me a briefing most days, in her wicked-cool, Kate Beckinsale voice. She gives me a complete rundown of today's headlines, stocks, etc. So long as I ask her no questions, she tells me no lies. :D

Voice recognition is a thousand times better than it used to be, but not quite ready for the cockpit.

Just heard Google is announcing a new Nexus 7 next week in San Francisco. I love the one I already have so no need for me but if you are on the verge, you might wait a week to see what changes are in store.

Just heard Google is announcing a new Nexus 7 next week in San Francisco. I love the one I already have so no need for me but if you are on the verge, you might wait a week to see what changes are in store.

I've been waiting for that announcement....probably later August to get one...

I shattered my Nexus 7 three weeks ago. :sad:

So I'm looking keenly at the release of the new one.

Is anyone a little disgusted, as I am, with the Google intrusion into our privacy? Seems they have programmed all their stuff to be extremely intrusive and not remotely cool. Unless, of course, you don't mind.

Is anyone a little disgusted, as I am, with the Google intrusion into our privacy? Seems they have programmed all their stuff to be extremely intrusive and not remotely cool. Unless, of course, you don't mind.

I definitely know what you mean, but no, Im not disgusted by it. This kind of reminds me of my dad and how he (mid-late sixties) complains about how intrusive google is but uses a lot of googles services. I even set up his own domain and mail through godaddy and now he has switched back to his gmail!! What?! I was just telling my wife last night how funny it is that folks complain about google but then they choose to keep using it. It doesn't make sense...either use it or loose it, but don't complain.;)

I use both iPad and android phone and I like them both for various reasons. I don't use most of googles services, other than what required to use an android phone. I do not use my gmail account at all. I choose not to because of the intrusiveness. I have a Microsoft Exchange account for my email/calandra/tasks, etc and love it!

Bottom line, I think google is great but, as always, it buyer beware!

By the way, what does this have to do with Garmin Pilot?? :confused:

... what does this have to do with Garmin Pilot?
Well, on Android devices Google's spying-by-default settings eat your battery. To maximize battery life, you have to dig through all the crapware, Google's included, to disable automatic check-ins. Once this is done, and subject to some other variables, I have my N7 down to about 0.5% battery drain per hour when it is turned "off." As a result I can usually pick it up and go flying without worrying even if it hasn't been charged for a couple of days.

Re the spying, I see it as a business deal. Google is fairly clear about what they do (I think), so when I use a Google tool my cost for that tool is some privacy. Hence, I use gmail on a very limited basis and don't use any of their location-based stuff. I have also set my Google profile as restrictively as I can.

Well, on Android devices Google's spying-by-default settings eat your battery. To maximize battery life, you have to dig through all the crapware, Google's included, to disable automatic check-ins. Once this is done, and subject to some other variables, I have my N7 down to about 0.5% battery drain per hour when it is turned "off." As a result I can usually pick it up and go flying without worrying even if it hasn't been charged for a couple of days.

Good point! I need to do this with my phone and my sons Samsung Tab 2.

Re the spying, I see it as a business deal. Google is fairly clear about what they do (I think), so when I use a Google tool my cost for that tool is some privacy. Hence, I use gmail on a very limited basis and don't use any of their location-based stuff. I have also set my Google profile as restrictively as I can.

Where are all the check-in settings? I'd like my N7 to last a bit longer.

Where are all the check-in settings?
Typically hidden and often obfuscated.

For every app, go into the app's settings and turn off things like "push notifications," "Share to Facebook and Twitter," "Location Reporting," "Enable Location Sharing," etc Anything that it looks like will cause the app to communicate.

Then, the battle begins.

Download Juice Plotter so you can monitor your battery discharge. Download Wake Lock Detector so you can monitor which apps are keeping your gadget from entering "Deep Sleep." CPU Spy Plus also helps to monitor whether the gadget is really staying in deep sleep.

With Android 4.2.x there is pretty good folklore to say that using airplane mode causes battery drain but no one knows why. So don't use it. Supposedly this is fixed in 4.3, soon to be released. We'll see. (Feeling masochistic? Read 250+ posts here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=42993)

Then, be wary of all apps. I had one, "Animated Analog Clock Widget," that kept my N7 from sleeping and single-handedly ate several percent per hour of battery. Wake Lock Detector will help find these.

Finally, be paranoid. While fighting this battle I had cases where everything was working fine, 0.5% per hour, then a couple of weeks later the battery was getting eaten again. Juice Plotter will help you monitor this.

I resolved the power drain issue by installing a 5 volt/2 amp power supply in the plane, terminating in a micro-USB plug.
:D

Voila! Infinite Nexus 7 (and cell phone) life!

As for Google invading my privacy, I have an entire suite of amazing Google apps that have changed my life for the better, at NO cost to me.

If, in order to pay for this amazingness, they want to mine my data for marketing purposes, have at it. It's an insignificant price to pay for the convenience and sheer life enhancement these apps have provided.

Is anyone experiencing Pilot app crashes on an iPad 2 after installing the 5.0.3 update? I had it happen after the initial release of the update and then again tonight. It is so severe that I cannot get the app to load and was forced in both cases to uninstall the app and re-install it. Including reloading all of the databases.

When it happened tonight, I noticed that the last thing I was doing was using the active flight plan and trip planning pages. For some reason, even though I ported over the active flight plan to trip planning by using the "create new trip" feature, the active flight plan remains on the correct active trip, but the trip plan goes back to the last trip I had planned. If I remember correctly, the last time it happened was while I working the flight planning pages.

Hmmm....

And for Jay's enjoyment, the Nexus version is still running solid sans all of the features that the iOS version has :(

Is anyone experiencing Pilot app crashes on an iPad 2 after installing the 5.0.3 update? I had it happen after the initial release of the update and then again tonight. It is so severe that I cannot get the app to load and was forced in both cases to uninstall the app and re-install it. Including reloading all of the databases.

When it happened tonight, I noticed that the last thing I was doing was using the active flight plan and trip planning pages. For some reason, even though I ported over the active flight plan to trip planning by using the "create new trip" feature, the active flight plan remains on the correct active trip, but the trip plan goes back to the last trip I had planned. If I remember correctly, the last time it happened was while I working the flight planning pages.

Hmmm....

Definitely intact them. OSH is right around the corner, so a major update is likely.

If the upgrade is a high-def screen, then power consumption will increase. The consequence will be poorer battery life or (like the iPad) a bigger battery and consequent bigger and heavier device.

Actually the biggest benefit of a new high def N7 might be reduced resale prices for the older models, encouraging more pilots to buy Android tablets.

OK, now for a different question -

Nexus 7, Android (current version?) Current version of Garmin Pilot. I get an indication in the status bar (top of screen) saying downloads are available. Bring up the app, go to downloads and all appear to be OK and it says no downloads are available. Looks like one part of the app doesn't know what the other part is doing.

Nexus 7, Android (current version?) Current version of Garmin Pilot. I get an indication in the status bar (top of screen) saying downloads are available. Bring up the app, go to downloads and all appear to be OK and it says no downloads are available. Looks like one part of the app doesn't know what the other part is doing.

Ive not seen that before - on the ipad or android version. Maybe try closing out the app and/or restarting the device.

If the upgrade is a high-def screen, then power consumption will increase. The consequence will be poorer battery life or (like the iPad) a bigger battery and consequent bigger and heavier device.

Actually the biggest benefit of a new high def N7 might be reduced resale prices for the older models, encouraging more pilots to buy Android tablets.

I'm not sure that's a given...they are constantly improving the energy efficiency of these devices, as well as the battery technology.

If you click on the icon for upcoming updates, that's where you'll find the ones available for update. You're current, but the upcoming release has some updates for you.

If you click on the icon for upcoming updates, that's where you'll find the ones available for update. You're current, but the upcoming release has some updates for you.

Where is that icon? I'm not seeing it.

Thanks.

Where is that icon? I'm not seeing it.

Thanks.

When you go into downloads, then pick the type of chart (i.e. VFR Sectionals) you'll see two buttons, Current and Next. The available updated are probably on the Next. You may have to zoom out to see them.

When you go into downloads, then pick the type of chart (i.e. VFR Sectionals) you'll see two buttons, Current and Next. The available updated are probably on the Next. You may have to zoom out to see them.

OK, that I see. Interestingly, I don't see any that need updating when I look at that, but I still get the flag in the status line. Oh well...

Thanks.

OK, that I see. Interestingly, I don't see any that need updating when I look at that, but I still get the flag in the status line. Oh well...

Thanks.

From the main download screen do the Update All button. You'll see which ones they are.

If, in order to pay for this amazingness, they want to mine my data for marketing purposes, have at it. It's an insignificant price to pay for the convenience and sheer life enhancement these apps have provided.

Just for marketing? Wouldn't that be nice.

Living and working in the land of Google (Mountain View) and knowing quite a few googleites I've moved past that fairytale land. But I guess you can enjoy it while you can. By the time reality becomes apparent it will be way too late to get any privacy back.
And for the guy that can't seem to figure out the relevance - a lot of us use the Nexus with Garmin Pilot.

Last edited:
Back