Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I hope someone might have an answer for me. I love my Nexus 7 and my Galaxy Note (phone). I have tried out and maintained Naviator and I also like Flt plan.com, especially for flight planing and filing. I tried a trial version of FF on my wife's iPad but I wasn't as enamored as most seem to be, partially because I'm just not an apple guy, I much prefer android. So, I am now trying GP and I am surprisingly happy with it so far. There is a glitch that I can't figure out. When in map, then menu, then graphically edit route, the course line turns blue and ready to be moved by my finger. However, when I "rubber band" the line it doesn't move but rather I get a new course line (brown) that shows from my destination to my finger tip. As though it is extending the route but back to where my finger is, almost like a course reversal. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!
Phil

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum and I hope someone might have an answer for me. I love my Nexus 7 and my Galaxy Note (phone). I have tried out and maintained Naviator and I also like Flt plan.com, especially for flight planing and filing. I tried a trial version of FF on my wife's iPad but I wasn't as enamored as most seem to be, partially because I'm just not an apple guy, I much prefer android. So, I am now trying GP and I am surprisingly happy with it so far. There is a glitch that I can't figure out. When in map, then menu, then graphically edit route, the course line turns blue and ready to be moved by my finger. However, when I "rubber band" the line it doesn't move but rather I get a new course line (brown) that shows from my destination to my finger tip. As though it is extending the route but back to where my finger is, almost like a course reversal. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for your help!
Phil

Phil, if you touch a point outside of the blue line it thinks you are adding a point to the route. I will post a couple of pictures in a sec to show you.

Another thing you may doing is holding your finger too long on a point while you are moving it. I have had it give me the brown line like the way you described. I normally push on the map, hit the magenta line emblem in the circle to get into graphical edit mode, watch the the line turn blue and then drag and release.

Here is what the same point looks like when I hold it too long and what it looks like when I release it quickly.

da5e9yqa.jpg

dadyry4y.jpg

Marauder, thanks for the tip. It took awhile, three more brown lines then moving the blue line with my finger and watching the map move with it. Frustrating. Then, magically, I got it to work. It takes a delicate touch I guess, just like trout fishing. Thanks again.
Different subject, yoke mount and holder recommendations for a Mooney?
Phil

Phil -- You're welcome! In my Mooney, I use a RAM mount. Here is the link from where I ordered it: http://www.gpscity.com/search/q=ram-hol-tab-smu

I have also attached a picture of my Nexus 7 mounted. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Attachments

• DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 27
Phil -- my bad. I gave you the link for just the attachment plate. You will need the mount also. Give me a sec and I will pull that up for you as well. I already had the yoke mount from my iPad 2 and just ordered the plate.

You a have couple of options. Either way, you will need to have a diamond base mount to attach it to the plate number I gave you in the previous post.

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-plastic-clamp-short-arm-diamond-assembly.html (Plastic version)

http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-yoke-clamp-base-with-short-arm-diamond-assembly.html (Metal version)

I looked around a bit and this one is the complete package including the metal mount: http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-tab-tite-small-tablet-clamp-yoke-mount.html

You can verify the components that make this up by looking down the page and it will show you the sub components.

Do not order the iPad Mini version. It doesn't work.

Last edited:
Almost all of the mount suggestions that I see use the RAM "B" series hardware, which has a ball size of 1". IMHO this is unnecessarily bulky stuff. I actually have a box full of it from when I was playing with heavy Windows tablets and beta testing EFB software.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/Components/tabid/798/Default.aspx illustrates.

For my N7 I am using the RAM "A" series, 9/16" ball. The bulk of the bigger stuff is not much of an issue for yoke mounting, but for window/suction cup mounting, it forces the tablet to be farther from the plexi and makes it block more of the panel. My setup:

2x RAM-A-238U bases
1x RAM-A-201U connector
1x RAM-B-224-1U cam-lock vacuum base

(The only part number I could find for the base includes a 1" ball, but I know I have bought them "naked." The RAM product line includes a bewildering number of components. Bewildering to me, anyway.)

The vacuum base is also overkill and I would prefer a smaller one but AFIK it is the only one that RAM makes.

Marauder, airdale, thanks for all the details. I would like to keep my 7 in the case rather than take it out to put it in the Tab-Tite version if I can get away with it, although it looks "slimmer" that way. I saw Jay's X Grip and it looks really clean in the rear seat install. The 9/16" ball is a good idea so I will mull this over and let you know how it comes out. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate this forum.
Phil

Marauder, airdale, thanks for all the details. I would like to keep my 7 in the case rather than take it out to put it in the Tab-Tite version if I can get away with it, although it looks "slimmer" that way. I saw Jay's X Grip and it looks really clean in the rear seat install. The 9/16" ball is a good idea so I will mull this over and let you know how it comes out. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate this forum.
Phil

Now you can help me! I would like a case for my Nexus 7. Where can I get one?

Now you can help me! I would like a case for my Nexus 7. Where can I get one?

Ok, deal, here's the one I got and I've been very happy with it for the 7 months I've had it. It used to be cheaper but I guess they raised the price when they were selling so good. One of the reasons I like it is that the sides don't interfere with finger swipes. I ordered from Amazon. Shipping was $8.64. And it real easy to take out, I just never do. It also has a great elastic finger strap on the back.

"MoKo Slim-fit Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet (Black)"
Electronics; $16.99
In Stock
Sold by: BSCstore

Marauder, is that short arm ok between the yoke mount and pad or would you prefer the medium length now that you have it? Thanks, Phil

The nice thing is that RAM has a ton of selections of their mounts. I didn't have a case on my Nexus 7 but I'm sure one of the numerous Tab-Tite mounts would work fine with a case. I've seen the X-Grip and I just don't care for the design.

The nice thing is that RAM has a ton of selections of their mounts. I didn't have a case on my Nexus 7 but I'm sure one of the numerous Tab-Tite mounts would work fine with a case. I've seen the X-Grip and I just don't care for the design.

I kind of agree about the X-Grip. The only thing I'm concerned with are the rubber grips sticking out on the sides and the back, especially for a yoke mount. Thanks for the input.

Marauder, is that short arm ok between the yoke mount and pad or would you prefer the medium length now that you have it? Thanks, Phil

Phil - my Mooney has the newer style yokes which are bigger than the vintage 1960's ones. I use the standard arm which I think is either 2.5" or 2.75" inches in length. I would measure it, but it is in the plane.

Ok, deal, here's the one I got and I've been very happy with it for the 7 months I've had it. It used to be cheaper but I guess they raised the price when they were selling so good. One of the reasons I like it is that the sides don't interfere with finger swipes. I ordered from Amazon. Shipping was $8.64. And it real easy to take out, I just never do. It also has a great elastic finger strap on the back.

"MoKo Slim-fit Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet (Black)"
Electronics; $16.99
In Stock
Sold by: BSCstore

Thanks for the lead. My Nexus got a scratch on the glass. I think the full size iPad that I use as a backup decided to beat up on it in the flight bag. Time to separate the kids...

Amazon has a pretty great selection.

You ain't kidding! Looks like I will need to conduct a research project. Do you know of any that have the iPad type removable magnetic cover? The RAM mounts are big enough to hold a unit with a case, but I like to remove the cover/case like I do on the iPad.

FWIW, this is the type of case I am using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Protective-...es_Covers_Keyboard_Folios&hash=item232cec1430

This is not the exact one. Mine does not have the elastic hand strap but otherwise seems to be identical. Unfortunately I no longer have the purchase info on mine.

The N7 is well protected by stiff covers but it still can be put into the factory charging stand without taking it out of the cover. The cover has the magnet for automatic on/off. The cover can be easily removed for N7 use in the airplane or, depending on the mount, could be left on. For ordinary use, the front cover just swings around 180deg. to the back.

This is the tray I am using:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360-degrees...-7-/221123167243?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

The knob thing on the back just snaps off as shown in the video, leaving a flat back for attachment of the RAM ball. I'm using 3M Dual Lock but a couple of screws would do it too.

IIRC I bought this before RAM had their tray. I don't know if this one is better or worse, but it's cheaper and entirely adequate.

You ain't kidding! Looks like I will need to conduct a research project. Do you know of any that have the iPad type removable magnetic cover? The RAM mounts are big enough to hold a unit with a case, but I like to remove the cover/case like I do on the iPad.

I bought this one, but there were only a couple of choices when I got mine. I'm not sure what type of case the iPad has, but I usually have to remove my N7 from the case to use it in my RAM mount.

I also suggest getting a good screen protector -- I use Boxwave Crystals for almost all of my electronic devices with touch screens (phones, Nintendo DS, tablets, etc.)

Marauder, looks like airdale, roddie and I all use the same case (Moko Slim-fit). I like the snap cover vs. a magnetic cover and that's one of the reasons I got this one. Although I believe it has a small magnet somewhere to trigger instant-off when closed.

Different subject, does anyone know if GP software will get a map display without having to do a flight plan? I've noticed the subject in previous posts. And, does the software have map legends in the data somewhere? I could cut a legend off a paper chart but what's the fun in that.
Phil

... does the software have map legends in the data somewhere? I could cut a legend off a paper chart but what's the fun in that.
I haven't seen it in GP, but the free fltplan.com suite of applets has a "My Documents" applet that lets you dowload the sectional legend, low-altitude chart legend, the front matter from the plates books, and the whole Aviation Chart User's Guide.

It's kind of a one-trick pony -- very few other documents available. But the price is right and the W&B applet is decent as well. Synchs with airplanes you have loaded on the fltplan.com web site.

Thanks airdale, I do use fltplan but I had not seen the legend docs. I'll look again.
Phil

I'm curious if anyone has tried the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 yet? My bro in law had one when he visited on the 4th and loved it. I took a look at it at the new Samsung shop inside Best Buy. It seems to perform well...even installed Garmin Pilot on the store sample and played with it a bit. It has some cool non-aviation capabilities like the TV guide with smart remote capability.

I still think it is overpriced, as cnet found:
http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/samsung-galaxy-note-8/4505-3126_7-35618822.html

At $300 it could be tempting.

time for me to vent!

So this morning I head out to the hangar for a nice flight with my Dad. Everything is picture perfect. I do run up, and start my taxi to runway. As usual, I turn on the Nexus 7 and then hit the pilot app.

CRAP..the app won't open, it says WiFi is necessary to install recent download. I tried to get around the window and get into the app so I fly my plan...but I could not get the app to launch. Good thing I had ForeFlight on my iPad in the back seat as a back up. I do not have Wifi at the hangar or anywhere near.

Lesson learned: check that the app is functioning as part of pre flight.

OK, back to our show.

time for me to vent!

So this morning I head out to the hangar for a nice flight with my Dad. Everything is picture perfect. I do run up, and start my taxi to runway. As usual, I turn on the Nexus 7 and then hit the pilot app.

CRAP..the app won't open, it says WiFi is necessary to install recent download. I tried to get around the window and get into the app so I fly my plan...but I could not get the app to launch. Good thing I had ForeFlight on my iPad in the back seat as a back up. I do not have Wifi at the hangar or anywhere near.

OK, back to our show.

I wonder what it had to download that was so important? I'm not sure how the licensing validation works, but maybe it had to call-home for that?

time for me to vent!

OK, back to our show.

Yep....part of the pre-departure to the airport procedure.

FYI: We flew to the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex area yesterday.

Normally, traffic shows a hit here and there down here on the coast. It gets busier when we fly to San Antonio, of course, but there will still be less than ten targets, normally.

Holy crap! As Mary was threading the needle through the DFW Class Bravo, Garmin Pilot was ALIVE with targets. It was fascinating to sit in the back hole, watching a moving sectional map full of little moving diamonds, each with a little label showing whether it was climbing of descending.

I have to admit it was slightly scary, and less than helpful, to have SO much information. You would not want to be PIC with a screen like that -- but it was great as SIC. YMMV.

I still saw no weather radar returns on the map, though. This is the fourth flight without a radar display. Is anyone else having trouble displaying radar?

I wonder what it had to download that was so important? I'm not sure how the licensing validation works, but maybe it had to call-home for that?

I wish I took a screen capture so I could recall the exact message, but I had my hands full.

Oh well. Maybe someone else will have a similar message, although in more convenient circumstances.

time for me to vent!

OK, back to our show.

Garmin just released a new s/w version. There might be some setting in the apps area that enables automatic updates and maybe that triggered something? I'm guessing yesterday's new release had something to do with it.

from Matthew:
"Garmin just released a new s/w version. There might be some setting in the apps area that enables automatic updates and maybe that triggered something? I'm guessing yesterday's new release had something to do with it."

yes.

I left the Nexus 7 plugged in overnight to be sure my battery was full for the flight. During the night, the app self updated to new version via my house WiFi. (I didn't know about the self update taking place)

It wasn't until I went to launch the app (during taxi) that it required an additional WiFi connection for some reason or another. It wouldn't launch...thus I was up the river with a paddle.

Yeah - i got the auto update. Then when I started the app, it gave me a message saying it needed a 1-time download to complete the process. Can't remember for sure, but I think it was the airport info database.

Probably worth complaining to Garmin about so they don't do that again.

from Matthew:
"Garmin just released a new s/w version. There might be some setting in the apps area that enables automatic updates and maybe that triggered something? I'm guessing yesterday's new release had something to do with it."

yes.

I left the Nexus 7 plugged in overnight to be sure my battery was full for the flight. During the night, the app self updated to new version via my house WiFi. (I didn't know about the self update taking place)

It wasn't until I went to launch the app (during taxi) that it required an additional WiFi connection for some reason or another. It wouldn't launch...thus I was up the river with a paddle.

From the release notes for 2.5:

Improved: Upgraded navigation database to the same database used in Garmin portables.
New: Switched the Airport Info database to be a required download.

One or both of those would explain the need to update.

On first load, I get this:

An additional one time download of aviation data (about 26MB) is required for this version of Garmin Pilot. You may wish to use a WiFi connection.

Yeah - i got the auto update. Then when I started the app, it gave me a message saying it needed a 1-time download to complete the process. Can't remember for sure, but I think it was the airport info database.

Probably worth complaining to Garmin about so they don't do that again.

YESS

That is exactly what it said! Thanks :yes:

... the app self updated to new version ...
On general principles, I do not permit auto-updating. Lots of downside to it, very little upside IMHO.

In Google Play/Settings, just uncheck the auto-update permission.

What airdale said.

On the plus-side, the app doesn't start on a widely zoomed out map anymore. It's been doing that for the last couple of versions on both my tablet and phone.

What airdale said. You should never auto-update a mission-critical app like GP. (Especially if you aren't going to make sure it's working before leaving the house.)

Regarding the loss of GDL 39 Radar - If you don't see radar and think there should be some, try to force-stop the app and restart. (Not ideal, but it may be a workaround until they've got it figured out.)

Last edited:
Hi guys. Very helpful forum on the GP, thanks.

The new update includes something I just emailed Garmin about, airspace. I was looking for the special use airspace info, particularly altitudes since they are not printed on the front side of the charts, but rather in the margins. Garmin replied that they have this (access to margin data) on the list but no ETA when it will be available. Lo and behold, the update now have airspace altitudes, even SUA. I'll just call ATC to confirm hot/cold status.

Hope to be able to contribute to the group knowledge here over time.
Cheers
--Brian

Hi guys. Very helpful forum on the GP, thanks.

The new update includes something I just emailed Garmin about, airspace. I was looking for the special use airspace info, particularly altitudes since they are not printed on the front side of the charts, but rather in the margins. Garmin replied that they have this (access to margin data) on the list but no ETA when it will be available. Lo and behold, the update now have airspace altitudes, even SUA. I'll just call ATC to confirm hot/cold status.

Hope to be able to contribute to the group knowledge here over time.
Cheers
--Brian

Welcome to POA.

I admit to being somewhat lazy in that I didn't read all 23 pages of this thread to search for the answer to questions so hopefully someone can help here.

I have an iPad 3 that I use GP on and absolutely love it for IFR and VFR. I also use wingx but it is the runner up for me behind GP. I have GP on my Android phone as well.

I am looking at buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (just because it looks cool and it's only $169 at best buy right now!!).

So my questions...

Generally speaking, how do you guys like GP on the Android tablets vs GP on the iPad? I specifically like, no...LOVE, the Dynamic Maps on the the iPad version of GP. I can barely stand to look at sectional or low enroute charts anymore (and I've been looking at them for almost 30 years of flying)!! GP doesnt have the Dynamic maps (yet?) for the Android phones but is it available for the Android tablets?

Any opinions (this isn't the red board, so I can safely ask for opinions :D) as to how well GP will run on the Samsung Galaxy 2 7.0?
Are there other significant differences between GP for android (for tablets) and theiPad?

Back