Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

Has anyone else been getting "Updates available" notifications from Garmin Pilot, even though they're not?

On both my phone and my tablet, I get the notification and on the download page it says "3 updates available" and shows the Airport Directory and also the A/FD as having updates available.

When I click on "update all", it quickly downloads a very short - 1.54 MB - file and that's it. Yet the Airport Directory and A/FD still show updates available.

When I click directly on Airport Directory to update, it grabs the same short file and nothing changes. When I click on A/FD, it brings up the list of A/FD editions and the ones I subscribe to all show as downloaded. I even clicked to remove/delete the A/FD editions I use and then re-downloaded them. They do download (normal, long files), but then still show that updates are available.

I am tempted to uninstall/reinstall Pilot but I hesitate because (a) I've had to do this before and it's kind of a pain to re-establish all your preferences and settings and (b) it's happening on both my phone [running 4.4 KitKat] and also on my tablet [still running 4.1 Jelly Bean], so it doesn't seem to be an issue localized to one particular installation.

Anyone else seeing this??

Thanks!

Has anyone else been getting "Updates available" notifications from Garmin Pilot, even though they're not?

On both my phone and my tablet, I get the notification and on the download page it says "3 updates available" and shows the Airport Directory and also the A/FD as having updates available.

When I click on "update all", it quickly downloads a very short - 1.54 MB - file and that's it. Yet the Airport Directory and A/FD still show updates available.

When I click directly on Airport Directory to update, it grabs the same short file and nothing changes. When I click on A/FD, it brings up the list of A/FD editions and the ones I subscribe to all show as downloaded. I even clicked to remove/delete the A/FD editions I use and then re-downloaded them. They do download (normal, long files), but then still show that updates are available.

I am tempted to uninstall/reinstall Pilot but I hesitate because (a) I've had to do this before and it's kind of a pain to re-establish all your preferences and settings and (b) it's happening on both my phone [running 4.4 KitKat] and also on my tablet [still running 4.1 Jelly Bean], so it doesn't seem to be an issue localized to one particular installation.

Anyone else seeing this??

Thanks!

I just checked, and everything seems normal (no updates currently available) on mine (N7 2013, Lollipop).

I'm not experiencing that bug either.

I threw in the towel and bought an ipad. I'm going to phase out the N7 and run the ipad along with my S5 on one subscription.

The glitch I'm having is on the ipad inside Garmin pilot, when I try to upgrade to the VFR premium for $49/yr. it says " purchase error cannot connect to itunes store." :dunno:

I threw in the towel and bought an ipad. I'm going to phase out the N7 and run the ipad along with my S5 on one subscription.

The glitch I'm having is on the ipad inside Garmin pilot, when I try to upgrade to the VFR premium for $49/yr. it says " purchase error cannot connect to itunes store." :dunno:
Ha! iTunes is what drove me to sell my iPad, and buy a Nexus 7!

When you are switching devices you can run into problems with the subscription. When I went from the Nexus 7 to an iPad Air, it told me I didn't have a valid subscription.

When I spoke to them, they had 5 devices linked to my subscription. My original iPad 2, my iPhone, my Nextus 7, my Air and my Mini. They deleted all of the unused devices and everything began working correctly again.

I have a question for you guys: sorry if it has been discussed before.
I'm thinking about getting GP for My Galaxy Note 10.1. I've already used the free trial and like the way it works.
My question is: What is the difference between the standard/ basic and premium /full? I am a VFR pilot getting ready to start IFR Training.
Also, what features require the GDL 39 3D? I Know traffic and Weather.

As aside note I am getting ready to take my first long XC (235nm one way to RDU) so I might borrow my sister's tablet to get another free trial

TIA!

I have a question for you guys: sorry if it has been discussed before.
I'm thinking about getting GP for My Galaxy Note 10.1. I've already used the free trial and like the way it works.
My question is: What is the difference between the standard/ basic and premium /full? I am a VFR pilot getting ready to start IFR Training.
Also, what features require the GDL 39 3D? I Know traffic and Weather.

As aside note I am getting ready to take my first long XC (235nm one way to RDU) so I might borrow my sister's tablet to get another free trial

TIA!

I think the difference is you'll be able to pull up taxi diagrams and approach charts and your airplane symbol will be displayed on them. The smart taxi function can automatically switch to a taxi diagram when you land.

I think the difference is you'll be able to pull up taxi diagrams and approach charts and your airplane symbol will be displayed on them. The smart taxi function can automatically switch to a taxi diagram when you land.
But if I don't need the approach plates(for the time being) I could purchase the safe taxi separately right?

When you are switching devices you can run into problems with the subscription. When I went from the Nexus 7 to an iPad Air, it told me I didn't have a valid subscription.

When I spoke to them, they had 5 devices linked to my subscription. My original iPad 2, my iPhone, my Nextus 7, my Air and my Mini. They deleted all of the unused devices and everything began working correctly again.

Thank you and that did it!

I called Garmin and the same thing was going on. They had my old SIII, the N7, and my new S5.

When he did whatever he did, and I logged in on the mini, everything came up. Sweet! I've got Synvision! Now I need to sell my old GDL39 and lay out more $$$$ for the 3D. One GDL39 for sale. $500.00 OBO. :)

Garmn needs to have the Subscription function under Setting be able to bundle the databases into one purchase transaction if desired by the user. My credit card company flagged the 3rd database purchase as potential fraud and declined it. Had to call and verify these were legitimate transactions.

Just a gripe in case Garmin reads this forum. Cheers!

I need to figure out how to fix my subscription user id on my new tablet. I let my granddaughter "help" and she misspelled my user id. sigh.......
I sent a note to Garmin. We'll see what they say.

Garmin if you're reading this, please add flight logs to GP if you can.

My 696 logs flights as well as my old 496.

I don't always sit down religiously after a flight and put it in my pilot's log. My New Year's resolution is to be better at that ...

Curious if anyone has noticed an issue with SafeTaxi and Geo-Ref'd Plate subscriptions not showing up on more than one device? My 8" Note shows all 3 subscriptions when logged in but my 10.1" Acer only shows the basic..

Ideas? I have only ever used these 2 devices so it is not 'too many' devices.

Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

'Gimp

Several Bravos have VFR corridors, normally charted on the back of the TAC. Is there a way to display these in GP?

Android 5.0.2 has been released. Anybody aware of any issues with GP?

Android 5.0.2 has been released. Anybody aware of any issues with GP?

My wife updated to 5.0.2 and reports that the tablet (Nexus 7 2012) does not work as well as it did before. Although Lollipop is only slightly inferior to the old OS, I am still holding off on installing it.

Last edited:
Lollipop was working great, till my Nexus 7 bricked. lol

Were the two events related? Probably not, but who knows?

I replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab S, with the brightest screen in the tablet world. (The same amoled screen as the S5 cell phone, blown up to 8.4".) Garmin Pilot looks amazing on it, and I'm back on Kit Kat.

GP Lollipop 5.0.2 seems ok so far (on Nexus 7 2013), but haven't flown much with it.

My wife updated to 5.0.2 and reports that the tablet (Nexus 7 2012) does not work as well as it did before. Although Lollipop is only slightly inferior to the old OS, I am still holding off on installing it.

I'll second her observation. My older Nexus 7 was updated a week and a half ago and many apps are now having trouble. My wife's newer Nexus 7 appears to be working OK. At least I haven't heard any complaints so far. I'm not happy.

Thought this was humorous - I ended up deciding to renew my Garmin Pilot subscription that just ran out (though I was very tempted by FlightPro/Avilution). Fired up Garmin Pilot, got the "subscription ended" notice, clicked on "Purchase Subscription" button within the app and got:

"Error - This app uses a billing version that is no longer supported. Check the Google Play Store for app updates which may resolve this issue."

Yes, I am running the latest version of Pilot; 4.1.2. This happens on both my phone, running Android 4.4, and my tablet, which still runs Android 4.1.

So, I can't even pay Garmin to continue my subscription! I've got an email to them and I'm sure it'll get resolved, just thought it was funny. Luckily my plane is in for annual so I'm not planning any flights in the next few days.

FWIW, the issue I previously reported in this thread - that I continuously got "updates available" even though all data updates were updated - continued until the NEXT cycle's updates; once I applied those updates, the message stopped.

I don't like the new layout for the home screen and how they moved stuff around, but other than that, I haven't noticed any other issues.

Thought this was humorous - I ended up deciding to renew my Garmin Pilot subscription that just ran out (though I was very tempted by FlightPro/Avilution). Fired up Garmin Pilot, got the "subscription ended" notice, clicked on "Purchase Subscription" button within the app and got:

"Error - This app uses a billing version that is no longer supported. Check the Google Play Store for app updates which may resolve this issue."

Yes, I am running the latest version of Pilot; 4.1.2. This happens on both my phone, running Android 4.4, and my tablet, which still runs Android 4.1.

So, I can't even pay Garmin to continue my subscription!

New version of GP now available on the Play Store (as of today) to address this issue, BTW...

GP Android v4.2 now available. Seems to require GDL39 firmware upgrade. :(

I found a neat trick for the ipad for GP that increases visibility ten fold.

You go into the main settings for the display and invert colors. And you can tweak it.

It's great for day ops.

There is a new iOS version as well. Added highest obstacle enroute feature, some helicopter stuff and links your Garmin log-on to your Garmin Pilot.

GP Android v4.2 now available. Seems to require GDL39 firmware upgrade. :(
It now makes you sign in using your Garmin account, presumably only once. Amazingly, I remembered my password on the first attempt. lol

Other than a bunch new connectivity to Garmin panel mounted stuff (that I don't have), I'm not seeing anything new. Am I missing something?

Why do you think it needs a GDL-39 firmware update?

It now makes you sign in using your Garmin account, presumably only once. Amazingly, I remembered my password on the first attempt. lol

Other than a bunch new connectivity to Garmin panel mounted stuff (that I don't have), I'm not seeing anything new. Am I missing something?

Why do you think it needs a GDL-39 firmware update?

I might have misread it. It talks about a firmware update for the GLO, which sounded related. Have you flown with the new version without a firmware update?

I received a notice of firmware update for the GDL-39 3D about 8 hours before I saw the update to GP. Might be coincidence but timing was basically the same.

'Gimp

I might have misread it. It talks about a firmware update for the GLO, which sounded related. Have you flown with the new version without a firmware update?
Not yet. Crappy and persistent weather pattern on the coast... :(

Not yet. Crappy and persistent weather pattern on the coast... :(

Sorry to hear.
But least it's warm, so you can just get in the plane and check it (and update the DB) on the ground. Whoever flies (or ground tests) this version first please report.
Thanks.

I flew with GP Android 4.2, and suspect that there is indeed a firmware problem. On my first flight of the day, the Nexus 7 and GDL-39 connected, but the GDL-39 failed to send any weather, traffic, or weather information to the Nexus. On the second flight, everything worked fine. I inspected the firmware and found that I had 4.10 and the new firmware was 4.40. It seems to work fine now that I have updated the firmware.

Are you guys seeing this error on the Android since the last updates? This is an iOS error:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425867950.957052.jpg

Ditto on some kind of error. GP Android 4.2 won't connect to GDL-39 3D and that is after the firmware update to 4.30 I think on the GDL, second is you now need an active internet connection to check account status or you won't get SafeTaxi.

Nice job Garmin....facepalm

'Gimp

Ditto on some kind of error. GP Android 4.2 won't connect to GDL-39 3D and that is after the firmware update to 4.30 I think on the GDL, second is you now need an active internet connection to check account status or you won't get SafeTaxi.

Nice job Garmin....facepalm

'Gimp
One good thing about our extended period of horrendous flying weather on the coast: You boys will have this update completely debugged before I can fly with it. ;)

I flew last Friday and Saturday with GP 4.2.0 and GDL 39 firmware 4.30, and it all worked fine, including Safe Taxi. However, that was on Android 5.0.2 with a non-3D GDL 39, and I had entered my flyGarmin account information before my flight, so there are several differences between Gimp's setup and mine.

When I got back I noticed the 4.40 GDL39 update, so I applied it but haven't flown with it yet (we've having the same weather in San Antonio as Jay has in Port Aransas). The release notes for 4.40 simply say "Fixed version number that was affecting software updates from portables", which doesn't sound like something that would affect Android connectivity.

I did have one odd thing happen this morning, though. When I ran GP it complained about my Garmin login information and would not recognize my subscriptions. There was some error message about my login information being different that what I had previously entered or something like that (I didn't think to get a screen shot). I re-entered my username and password, and everything was fine after that. Hopefully this was a one-time occurrence. It didn't happen during the trip or when I opened it yesterday, but just this morning.

Lee

Back