Garmin Pilot for Android -- Tech Support, Tips, Tricks

For those who are concerned about tablet battery life, this is how we dealt with it in the back cockpit of our RV-8A. Dual on-board, high-output USB ports.

1b879b0fe19f2c42c0c45e2a71376fbd.jpg

The annoying 6-19 second delay has returned, intermittently - as before, it shows as an issue determining onboard memory on the Download tab, and then a delay on the Touch Ring, and then for loading any selection from the Touch Ring.

When this is occurring, if you touch a nearby airport, for 6-19 seconds it will only show the information for the last selected airport.

Just installed the full and unlocked Naviator app on my Acer A500 10.1 to play with it more - if I like it I may install it on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and put my GDL-39 3D up for sale and build my own ADS-B receiver - this is getting ridiculous.

'Gimp

The annoying 6-19 second delay has returned, intermittently - as before, it shows as an issue determining onboard memory on the Download tab, and then a delay on the Touch Ring, and then for loading any selection from the Touch Ring.

When this is occurring, if you touch a nearby airport, for 6-19 seconds it will only show the information for the last selected airport.

Just installed the full and unlocked Naviator app on my Acer A500 10.1 to play with it more - if I like it I may install it on the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 and put my GDL-39 3D up for sale and build my own ADS-B receiver - this is getting ridiculous.

'Gimp

I tried to do what you say (on Nexus 7 2013), but in my case the response is no slower than previously, and perhaps even faster. Onboard memory takes about 5 seconds, no slower than before AFAIR (though I have no idea why it's so slow). Touch ring response for nearby airports and points is all sub-second, both for the ring to come up and then for info on any component. TFR data on the ring took perhaps a second to fully display. Overall I can't say it's any slower than before, as I mentioned.
So perhaps there are issues with the hardware, or other processes running in background?

For those who are concerned about tablet battery life, this is how we dealt with it in the back cockpit of our RV-8A. Dual on-board, high-output USB ports.

...also available for certified a/c. I'd have to check the log to be sure, but I think they were just a logbook entry.

Jim

...also available for certified a/c. I'd have to check the log to be sure, but I think they were just a logbook entry.

Jim

These high-output USB ports are great.

Not only do we use them for our tablet, we also plug our phone(s) into them. Since we Bluetooth music into our audio panel from our phones, it's nice to keep them all charged-up, too.

BTW: We still have not received the OTA Lollipop OS update for our Nexus 7 tablets. Has anyone else received it?

The OTA Lollipop announcement was pushed to my tablet last week. I did not download it, and , in a few days, the announcement went away. I suspect that Google decided to hold off a bit. Good move.

GP Android 4.1.2 with support for Nexus 9 is out.

I just got a new version of 'droid pushed today, too.

Version 5.0.1.

It's...different.

I just got a new version of 'droid pushed today, too.

Version 5.0.1.

It's...different.

That's weird. On the google play page it's showing 4.1.2 from today, and that's the OTA version I got.

Garmin Pilot 4.1.2 downloaded to me today. But I also got sent Android v 5.0.1 today, too.
Interesting. Word was that the Lollipop Android OS update was on hold, due to problems. We haven't received it on any of our Nexus 7s yet.

Good to hear it's been resumed.

Interesting. Word was that the Lollipop Android OS update was on hold, due to problems. We haven't received it on any of our Nexus 7s yet.

Good to hear it's been resumed.

It has quite a different look and feel. I haven't had any apps crash yet, but I haven't used it very hard.

OK, thanks, good to know. Nothing yet on mine.

My Nexus 7 has the new 4.1.2 now. I haven't explored it too much yet but it doesn't look that different to me -- just some new features sprinkled in?

Also, since I started IR training, I think it's time to upgrade to get the Geo-Referenced FliteCharts. Do any of you use geo-referenced charts? How do you like it? Pretty functional? Are there any pros/cons to how GP displays the info? I'll probably pay for the upgrade either way but just curious.

My Nexus 7 has the new 4.1.2 now. I haven't explored it too much yet but it doesn't look that different to me -- just some new features sprinkled in?

Also, since I started IR training, I think it's time to upgrade to get the Geo-Referenced FliteCharts. Do any of you use geo-referenced charts? How do you like it? Pretty functional? Are there any pros/cons to how GP displays the info? I'll probably pay for the upgrade either way but just curious.

The biggest deal for 4.1.2 is the Nexus 9 support. Other that that, they might have made a few tweaks for some things that most people won't notice.

The biggest deal for 4.1.2 is the Nexus 9 support. Other that that, they might have made a few tweaks for some things that most people won't notice.

Ah, okay. One thing I noticed is they give you a lot more options on what you can display in the "Roads/Borders" map (add airports of different sizes, airspaces, navaids, etc), essentially to where the map won't look much different than the VFR dynamic maps option.

Ah, okay. One thing I noticed is they give you a lot more options on what you can display in the "Roads/Borders" map (add airports of different sizes, airspaces, navaids, etc), essentially to where the map won't look much different than the VFR dynamic maps option.
I reported a bug a couple weeks ago - now I have to see if that got fixed. It was a problem when using the VFR map display. I could get it to make an airport symbol disappear by setting up a Direct-To flight under certain circumstances. I'll have to dig out my e-mail to them and try to re-create it.

I use the geo-referenced charts on GP for every IFR approach. Once it becomes part of your routine, it's hard to live without. It adds another important bit of independent data relative to the panel (GTN-750 in my case, without charts), and I suppose in a pinch one could even complete the approach with it alone.
I don't have Canadian chart coverage on GP, so it's quite a difference when shooting a low approach up there without the georeferenced (or any) plates on GP, using only (God forbid!) paper charts. (I do preload on GP fresh PDF plates of all expected approaches and SIDs from fltplan.com for Canadian trips.)

Last edited:
I installed Garmin Pilot 4.1.2 and it seems to be a benign update. The Lollipop of Doom remains at bay, perhaps to be OTAed again only when it actually works. Life is good.

My N7 got upgraded to Lollipop 5.0.1 today, running GP 4.1.2. So far so good as far as stability, with minimal desktop testing. I can't say I like the new Lollipop look and feel, but maybe I'll get used to it.

My bug is still there.

1) get a GPS signal and location
2) put the display in VFR mode
3) set up a flight plan from the nearest airport to anywhere
4) set a direct-to to the destination of your flight plan
5) the origin will move from the nearest airport to your current location

See if the airport symbol of the previous origin disappears.

Edit: It happens of class D airports when the airspace is displayed. I haven't tried it with C or B yet.

Last edited:
My bug is still there.

Edit: It happens of class D airports when the airspace is displayed. I haven't tried it with C or B yet.

On my S5 you are correct.

The origin airport (11R) vanished until I zoomed out and in. :dunno:

Last edited:
My bug is still there.

I can confirm the same bug here on N7 2013, all latest versions.

Installed 4.1.2 and other than momentarily centering on the MSP Sectional whenever you change a screen it seems pretty well behaved in my limited ground testing. The memory management and delay issue seems to have been fixed but I'll test more to make sure.

Might be my imagination but the map image quality (Sectionals and TACs) appears to have degraded some in the SAN area, looks fuzzy.

Seems speedier but that may just be the fact that I adjusted to the 6-19 second delay I was seeing.

Still waiting for feature set parity with the iOS version....and waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

'Gimp

GP updated last night, but I'm still running the older OS on my N7. My wife's N7 downloaded the new OS last night, so I expect it will install the next time we turn it on. Time will tell...

Flew 2 hours today (Ingleside to McAllen, TX, and back) and the new GP ran flawlessly.

And now, the Lollipop Android operating system is installing on my Nexus 7.

We shall see how everything works after THAT happens. lol

Might be my imagination but the map image quality (Sectionals and TACs) appears to have degraded some in the SAN area, looks fuzzy.

'Gimp

It's not your imagination. Garmin has done something here. NOT GOOD.
The sectionals used to be very sharp at all zoom levels. Now they are nearly unusable unless zoomed way in. I noticed it after my Nexus 7 (2013) automatically updated to GP 4.1.1

I just installed GP 4.1.2 and it's no better :mad:

I called tech support and they are not aware of anything different with the sectionals :nonod:

Emails to them have been unanswered for days.

The sectional charts look great on the Naviator app. I guess I'll go back to using it for awhile.

Mark

Which sectionals /airports show problems?

Edit: I attached a screenshot. The lower half is a sectional, the upper image is a TAC. Zoomed in all the way.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-10-21-35-40.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-10-21-35-40.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Which sectionals /airports show problems?

The Memphis and Kansas City are the only two I looked at. Both have the problem. I don't think it's an issue with the sectionals themselves.

I haven't had an issue with airports like the previous posters, but I don't use the VFR maps.

The sectionals look great on my phone. Droid Max running GP 4.0.1 , and I don't dare update GP on it yet!

The sectional problem is on my Nexus 7 (2013) with GP 4.1.2 and was the same with 4.1.1

Mark

That screenshot is a KC sectional and TAC. Is it the same as what you are seeing? I'll look at a St Louis chart

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-10-21-49-32.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-10-21-49-32.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
That screenshot is a KC sectional and TAC. Is it the same as what you are seeing? I'll look at a St Louis chart

Yes, similar. Before the left side zoom level would have been very sharp also. Notice how it is not as sharp as the right side.

When I zoom out to say, 50 miles of sectional showing it's all pretty blurry.

Mark

STL zoomed out to the 50 nm scale.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-10-22-01-03.png
    Screenshot_2014-12-10-22-01-03.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
Mary noticed a funny glitch today. As the radar loops, it shows the various times of the individual radar snapshots -- and it now goes into the future.

The time is displayed properly on the N7, and the ETA is correct, so GP KNOWS the correct time.

Or, maybe it's that new predictive radar feature we've all been hearing about? lol

Yes, That looks about like it.
It was pretty sharp before. Not saying you could read everything, but it wasn't noticeably blurry!

Mark

I'm seeing the same blurriness on my Nexus 7. It is a recent development. Seems to happen when I zoom out more than two levels. I thought maybe it was their solution to improving map performance but it looks like dog doo.

FWIW, the blurriness is not a Nexus issue, I am running GP 4.1.2 on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 which is currently running Android 4.4.2.

Not good Garmin, I don't mind blurry on AVARE, because it is free - but with the GDL-39 3D and now on my 2nd year subscriptions I am $1000 into this setup excluding the tablet hardware.

Not cool.

'Gimp

I've noticed, in the past, that it can take a second or three for the map resolutions to keep up with the zoom levels. It doesn't seem to be working as well as it used to. Maybe the N9 compatibility problems were graphics hardware related and they were able to fix the N9 and broke everything else?

FWIW, the blurriness is not a Nexus issue, I am running GP 4.1.2 on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 which is currently running Android 4.4.2.

Not good Garmin, I don't mind blurry on AVARE, because it is free - but with the GDL-39 3D and now on my 2nd year subscriptions I am $1000 into this setup excluding the tablet hardware.

Not cool.

'Gimp

I got an email from Garmin this afternoon. They do know about the blurry sectionals and are working on it.

I understand things happen and it's good to know they are working on a fix.

See Garmin's reply below:

Good Evening Mark,

There is a known issue with the resolution on the map when zooming out past about 10NM. The developers are looking for a solution and will release an update when they have one.

Garmin updated map performance and as a byproduct, this affected the map resolution.

My apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for contacting Garmin,
Garrett

Back