Garmin GTN650 + Bendix King Aerocruze problems

RCG571

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
rcg571
Looking for a little guidance. My Cessna 182Q was just upgraded with a GTN650 and BK Aerocruze (Trutrak) autopilot. Plane has an original 6 pack with the exception of a GI-106A CDI. Before the install the avionics shop told me that this setup would be capable of performing GPSS approaches which is the main reason for this install. After a few attempts to get this to work without success, they're now telling me that it will require G5's for GPSS to function. Supposedly, this is because the GTN650 needs a barometric corrected altitude to engage. The shop is not a Garmin dealer.

I was originally told that since the GTN650 is WAAS, it can do GPSS approaches. I'm receiving conflicting information now so was reaching out to the world in desperation for guidance. The plane flies perfect in track and GPS mode, but alas no GPSS.

Bottom line question - can the GTN650 fly coupled GPSS approaches/holds/etc with the BK Aerocruze autopilot without G5's?

Whoever told you that a G5 is required for GPSS is blowing smoke. The Aerocruze will fly GPSS directly from the GTN650. It will couple a GPS approach, but currently it is prohibited from doing so by the flight manual. If it doesn’t do GPSS now it’s either not wired right or is not set up right.

Wow. Just wow. I feel bad that you got bamboozled. Sounds like a shade tree shop to me. I’d take it to another shop and finish the job. Clearly this operation lacks the basic knowledge of integration. Are they even A&Ps?

Wow. Just wow. I feel bad that you got bamboozled. Sounds like a shade tree shop to me. I’d take it to another shop and finish the job. Clearly this operation lacks the basic knowledge of integration. Are they even A&Ps?
I agree with this. However, being an A&P means very little in this case. There are a lot of A&P’s that I wouldn’t let get anywhere near wiring (and wouldn’t want to), and other non-A&P’s who do excellent work. I know some A&P’s that I wouldn’t let touch my airplane in any way except maybe to fly it. Having the license gives you certain right and responsibilities, but it does not mean competent in any or all areas.

I couldn’t agree more with this reply. I’m getting ready to install the Aerocruze 100 in my PA28R. Along with the Aspen E5 interfaced to my new Avidyne 440.. I will let you know how it goes.

I couldn’t agree more with this reply. I’m getting ready to install the Aerocruze 100 in my PA28R. Along with the Aspen E5 interfaced to my new Avidyne 440.. I will let you know how it goes.
I went to another avionics shop and they fixed it in a few hours. There were 2 wires that were crossed on the ARINC 429 line. It works flawlessly now. Exactly as advertised. For the money, the Aerocruze can't be beat.

Looking for a little guidance. My Cessna 182Q was just upgraded with a GTN650 and BK Aerocruze (Trutrak) autopilot. Plane has an original 6 pack with the exception of a GI-106A CDI. Before the install the avionics shop told me that this setup would be capable of performing GPSS approaches which is the main reason for this install. After a few attempts to get this to work without success, they're now telling me that it will require G5's for GPSS to function. Supposedly, this is because the GTN650 needs a barometric corrected altitude to engage. The shop is not a Garmin dealer.

I was originally told that since the GTN650 is WAAS, it can do GPSS approaches. I'm receiving conflicting information now so was reaching out to the world in desperation for guidance. The plane flies perfect in track and GPS mode, but alas no GPSS.

Bottom line question - can the GTN650 fly coupled GPSS approaches/holds/etc with the BK Aerocruze autopilot without G5's?
I have a Garmin 430W coupled with my aerocruze 100. It works fine in GPSS mode, and it is approved to perform coupled GPS approaches but is not approved below 700 feet on approches.

Back