Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
This is starting to chap my hide. I have the Ipad Mini 4 and the IPhone 7

==========

Dear Customer,

We want to make you aware that Apple iOS/iPadOS 16 will soon become the minimum-supported iOS for new versions of ForeFlight Mobile with our January 2024 app release.

After the new iOS minimum goes into effect, devices that are not running at least iOS 16 will not be able to install new versions of ForeFlight. However, essential features like monthly chart and data downloads, documents, and account data syncing will continue to work for currently supported app versions listed in this article.

Your account is associated with at least one of the following devices that cannot update to iOS 16 and will not be able to install new versions of ForeFlight:

• iPad mini 4
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPhone 6S
  • iPhone 6S Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone SE (1st gen)
If you currently use ForeFlight on one or more of the devices listed above, we recommend upgrading to a newer device that supports iOS 16 so you can continue using the latest version of ForeFlight.

If you no longer use this device, you can remove it from your account in More > Account, or by logging in to foreflight.com/account.

For recommendations and guidance on purchasing a new iPad, check out our iPad Buying Guide to see which models and configurations best suit your flying.

Blue skies,
- Team ForeFlight

The iPhone 7 is 7 years old, and the iPad Mini 4 is 8. Although I too wish devices would last forever, that does seem like a pretty good run to me for consumer electronics.
If its not broke don't fix it. Devices work fine. But I get it. $$$$

it has nothing to do with FF/Boeing dollars.. . you want to believe that - thats fine. But technology advances and things get outdates. 7 years is several lifetimes of technological products. Why would Boeing want to continue to develop on old outdated technological platforms ?

You can continue to use your older ipad for awhile as they will continue to download the vector charts and information. You just wont have the new features as they come out on newer platforms.

Would you expect a the latest greatest version of MS Word to be able to run on an 8 year old PC? Of course not as the software is being designed to run at maximum efficiency on the current architecture, not outdated units. ForeFlight will continue to run as is, in its current version, on your hardware but newer software versions will require a more modern OS/hardware. I am sure glad that software companies do progressively improve their apps....even if I have to improve my hardware to utilize it. Hell, 8 years is a good run!

If its not broke don't fix it. Devices work fine.
That motto works if it‘s some disconnected device in an underground station on an uncharted island. But iPads and iPhones are on a worldwide network so they’re expected to be good citizens by maintaining security updates.
But I get it. $$$$
Yeah. Companies have a fixed R&D budget. Why should I hold back my latest and greatest hardware because you are trying to keep your crumbling crud alive?

I'm satisfied with still being able to get database updates on my phone, as I haven't gotten around to learning all the features on the previous version of Foreflight, let alone any features that may be added in newer versions. Fortunately, my iPad Mini is able to run the latest versions of iOS, but I expect that will eventually no longer be the case.

That motto works if it‘s some disconnected device in an underground station on an uncharted island. But iPads and iPhones are on a worldwide network so they’re expected to be good citizens by maintaining security updates....
Apple has been providing occasional security updates to iOS 15.x. I that stops, I'll consider getting a new phone.

This is starting to chap my hide. I have the Ipad Mini 4 and the IPhone 7

==========

Dear Customer,

We want to make you aware that Apple iOS/iPadOS 16 will soon become the minimum-supported iOS for new versions of ForeFlight Mobile with our January 2024 app release.

After the new iOS minimum goes into effect, devices that are not running at least iOS 16 will not be able to install new versions of ForeFlight. However, essential features like monthly chart and data downloads, documents, and account data syncing will continue to work for currently supported app versions listed in this article.

Your account is associated with at least one of the following devices that cannot update to iOS 16 and will not be able to install new versions of ForeFlight:

• iPad mini 4
  • iPad Air 2
  • iPhone 6S
  • iPhone 6S Plus
  • iPhone 7
  • iPhone 7 Plus
  • iPhone SE (1st gen)
If you currently use ForeFlight on one or more of the devices listed above, we recommend upgrading to a newer device that supports iOS 16 so you can continue using the latest version of ForeFlight.

If you no longer use this device, you can remove it from your account in More > Account, or by logging in to foreflight.com/account.

For recommendations and guidance on purchasing a new iPad, check out our iPad Buying Guide to see which models and configurations best suit your flying.

Blue skies,
- Team ForeFlight

Looks like ForeFlight is offering an alternative to buying a new device and will soon be offering refurbished later model devices. Prices are not listed yet. Stay tuned Luddites...:D:D:D

Looks like ForeFlight is offering an alternative to buying a new device and will soon be offering refurbished later model devices. Prices are not listed yet. Stay tuned Luddites...:D:D:D
Yeah, their email today references Apple's refurb store, which is where I've bought most of my iPads and MacBooks since they're basically good as new and come with a manufacturer warranty:

If you were a stock holder in a tech company, would you prefer to see people complaining about having to upgrade a 8 year old machine, or people complaining that there are no new features, and the software never gets any better?

It's not a stone tablet. It's a piece of equipment in a quickly evolving sector.

Last edited:
I suggest updating your devices on Dec 31.

As was posted the last time someone complained about this, even in a four year accounting, throwing away the device and replacing it is still cheaper than VFR paper charts were. If you fly IFR, or get briefings in FF, or get your weather without having to call a briefer and imagine things, or, or, or, then the value prop just gets better.

Yeah, their email today references Apple's refurb store, which is where I've bought most of my iPads and MacBooks since they're basically good as new and come with a manufacturer warranty:

Thanks for the link. As for the lack of GPS that's fine as I just have the WiFi Mini-4 and use Stratus.

Ded reckoning is still current . . .

I have my Mini 4 in an air gizmos panel mount ......Have not looked HOPEFULLY the newer Ipad have the same outside measurements ..If not Im hosed.

Anyone know ?

The Foreflight article link from post #1 is a lie. My ipad has Foreflight 15.10.1. It's running ios 15.2. I cannot download DB updates.

I have my Mini 4 in an air gizmos panel mount ......Have not looked HOPEFULLY the newer Ipad have the same outside measurements ..If not Im hosed.

Anyone know ?
Good and bad news; not the same size, you will need a new air gizmo dock. Good news though... the new dock's external size is identical to yours so it will fit in the old hole. $140 and minimal install time.

Good and bad news; not the same size, you will need a new air gizmo dock. Good news though... the new dock's external size is identical to yours so it will fit in the old hole. $140 and minimal install time.
All good in the end....Thank you for the save.

Anyone know ?
People have modified the iPad 4 Ram mount with a heat gun to accommodate the 6. It's slightly thicker. They soften the plastic and bend the holding tabs out. Not familiar with Air Gizmo, but that might be an option.

For a VFR only pilot flying nothing more complex than a C-172, I don't recall recent updates that would apply to me. As long as I can get updated charts and databases, I should be fine.

So the way I understand this, I will still be able to get the latest database with regards to charts and plates, but none of the new whiz-bang features with the new app.. correct?

The Foreflight article link from post #1 is a lie. My ipad has Foreflight 15.10.1. It's running ios 15.2. I cannot download DB updates.
My iPhone 7 is running Foreflight 15.10.1 on iOS 15.8, and I am able to download DB updates. Is your iPad able to run iOS 15.8?

So the way I understand this, I will still be able to get the latest database with regards to charts and plates, but none of the new whiz-bang features with the new app.. correct?
That's the way it's working for me on my iPhone 7.

I've been a software developer for nearly 30 years. I hate supporting old devices. It takes a huge chunk of our budget to do a good quality control (QA) test on a large number of devices. If they have to cut off support old devices in order to add new features, it is what it is. The only other option they have is to increase the price. Else it becomes unsupportable because Apple no longer supports old devices.

The newest app version requires a higher functioning processor. How does anyone in current times not understand that? If you don't have the required processor, don't try to run the latest app release. Functionality will remain as it is now. If you find you're missing something the new app offers? Upgrade your equipment.

I'm satisfied with still being able to get database updates on my phone, as I haven't gotten around to learning all the features on the previous version of Foreflight, let alone any features that may be added in newer versions. Fortunately, my iPad Mini is able to run the latest versions of iOS, but I expect that will eventually no longer be the case.
I have an OLD mini 2 on my desk used for Flight Sim and it still receives database updates. It’s great that FF has maintained a consistent format for so long. I currently fly with an iPad 6 and iPhone 15 Pro Max both running FF. I know I’ll need to upgrade the iPad again in a couple of years. Measuring the per flight cost of upgrading iPad hardware you fly with every 7-8 years is negligible compared to subscriptions and other flight costs. FF is a modern miracle that is worth every penny. And most of us use our iPads for a lot of other useful tasks that add to the value and reduce the effective cost.

Back