ForeFlight iPad Notice

Ventucky Red

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jon
Sorry if already posted, but I am striking out here as my two iPads will soon be obsolete with Foreflight. The iPad mini 4 I get as I have gone away from using it, but the Air 2. Is anyone else here a little perturbed by this notice?

Isn't technology grand?

Short Advice​

Buy the Wi-Fi + Cellular and 256GB model of either the 11-inch iPad Pro, iPad Air 5th generation or the iPad mini 6th generation (2021).​

Please note that ForeFlight no longer supports the iPad 1, 2, 3, and 4, iPad Air 1, iPad mini 1, 2, and 3, iPhone 5, 5C, 5s, 6, 6+, and older for new app updates, and will soon stop supporting iPad mini 4, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6s, 6s+, 7, 7+, and SE with an app release later this year. See this page for the minimum supported iOS version and the status of the latest iOS version.

I'm amazed people hang onto these devices so long, I usually find mine starts to get too slow for me to want to put up with long before dropping support is an issue.

I'm amazed people hang onto these devices so long, I usually find mine starts to get too slow for me to want to put up with long before dropping support is an issue.
I've become a trailing edge hardware guy, but yeah, usually the device is effectively bricked by iOS bloat before anything else. I got my refurb Xs for $500 in 2020, 3 years of daily use so far... 50c a day? Now refurbed 12 minis are like $300.
ohno.jpg

iPad Air 2 was released in 2014. Assuming they drop support within a year that’s a decade of support for a mobile computing device that cost $500. Not to mention the ARM processors/SoCs have advanced significantly since then. Seems pretty decent to me.

Endless backward compatibility is what made windows the insane bodgery that it is (and even they dropped windows 7 support after 11 years)

Hmmm, hadn't seen that.

I still use my iPad Mini 4, but I only use it for Foreflight. I've never noticed any issues with it, not even sluggish.

I wonder what not supported actually means. Will it not work anymore or just not be updated?

I pad air generation 4 ,with foreflight. Foreflight is getting rather expensive.

The Mini 4 was released until September 9, 2015, the Mini 5 was released March 2019, the Mini 6 released September 24, 2021.

So I suppose in the Foreflight world to pay $179 for a subscription they expect you to budget another $125-$150 a year for device replacement.

Another reason I am not using FinkFlight.

Last edited:
Bricking my device is what turned me into an Apple hater many years ago. I get that a company doesn't want to support a device after a certain period. Fine, don't offer repairs and don't upgrade the OS.
In my case I had an iPhone which worked perfectly and was every bit as functional as the day it was introduced. You know, when people lined up around the block because it was so awesome. It still did all that cool stuff

How it went was "your device requires a mandatory OS update. However, we don't offer an OS for your device. Goodbye".

Indeed. [sound of my wallet snapping shut]

Why couldn't they just leave me off the OS upgrade list? Maybe I would not be able to purchase apps which took advantage of recent improvements. So what? It's a phone. Slide, select contact, green button. Easy

I didn't lease my phone, I BOUGHT it. Still holds a charge, buttons work, screen isn't cracked. I'll decide when it's time to move on. F*** off.

If the manufacturer of my car suggested bricking my vehicle as a way to force me to upgrade I would light it on fire on the dealer lot and go buy something old. Get off my lawn.

I tolerate my iPad mini 6 because it's the only way to use Foreflight.

The email I received said this:

Beginning later this year, iOS/iPadOS 16 will become the minimum-supported operating system for new versions of ForeFlight. Some popular devices, including the iPad mini 4, cannot update to iOS 16. However these devices will still be able to receive chart and data updates.

Sounds like I can keep using my Mini 4 for at least a little while longer.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to stop supporting a device that is 4-8 years old. There is a tremendous amount of work required to add new features and ensure that they work on older devices. Sometimes you can’t do it.
New features? What are they going to add? The FF app already has too many features.

Last edited:
Indeed in both Apple and Foreflight’s case they are in support twilight. No new feature updates but they will still function and receive security patches (different rules between the brands, of course).

the device is 8+ years old and this is technology guys. . But seriously, apple just isnt releasing IOS updates for the device. It isnt being bricked - you continue to use the device as you see fit. However Boeing/Foreflight has said that since they need to keep moving - they arent going to release their new apps on older platforms. Thats their choice and not sure why people are getting mad on the hardware side of things. Its not like Windows 11 supports old Pentium machines either. . .

So, is Garmin Pilot any different? I am not a GP user, but may consider switching over to them if FF keep their nonsense up. I have been a FF user since inception, but I’ll vote with my feet if I have to.

Thats their choice and not sure why people are getting mad on the hardware side of things.

Why get mad? Because FF raised my subscription price, charging me for new features I didn’t want and couldn’t use without replacing my iPad. Too much money for stuff I don’t want, especially when my device works just fine.

That’s why I dumped FF. Typical Boeing BS.

So, is Garmin Pilot any different? I am not a GP user, but may consider switching over to them if FF keep their nonsense up. I have been a FF user since inception, but I’ll vote with my feet if I have to.

Try iFly.

I wouldn’t. I used to run GP because well my entire avionic stack was garmin. Connext was convenient to update all my garmin databases wirelessly and quickly. Doesn’t support Jeppesen plates and once you have to use JDM - that extra step doesn’t make sense anymore.

GP is a decent program. It does 90 percent of what FF does. And it does it pretty well. But don’t even think of running it on android - the android version is a few revisions behind the iPad one and some features don’t even exist on the android one compared to iOS. It’s also a /lot/ more stable on iOS than android. But If you want the best efb - that still goes to FF.

I wouldn’t. I used to run GP because well my entire avionic stack was garmin. Connext was convenient to update all my garmin databases wirelessly and quickly. Doesn’t support Jeppesen plates and once you have to use JDM - that extra step doesn’t make sense anymore.

GP is a decent program. It does 90 percent of what FF does. And it does it pretty well. But don’t even think of running it on android - the android version is a few revisions behind the iPad one and some features don’t even exist on the android one compared to iOS. It’s also a /lot/ more stable on iOS than android. But If you want the best efb - that still goes to FF.

As much as I love being an Android user, there is a reason why Apple gets the best of Garmin and Foreflight. Their IOS is consistent among devices, and they tightly control it. Android is more open architecture, with many variations among different hardware configurations, Samsung, Google, Motorola, LG, etc. It makes a lot harder to ensure consistent performance of the software, especially in aviation where consistency and reliability is key. That is the main reason I bought an Ipad and FF, just got tired of dealing with buggy apps and Android based tablets. But my phone is an Android based Motorola.

FF + and iPad is pretty much required kit nowadays. Amazingly, at least a year ago, it still ran on an iPad Mini 2, though it was brutally slow. I only know the Mini for FF, but generally expect them to work for 4-5 years before becoming obsolete.

For those who never had to use paper charts and plates, you may not actually know how good FF actually is. Weather, traffic, NOTAMs, TFRs, etc. all in the palm of your hand updated automatically. What's not to like? Android tablets aren't even worth the box they come in. Apple is a closed ecosystem which means they can control and homogenize both SW and HW. For a pilot running an important app, that's a good thing. It just works.

GP has had no similar announcement. I run it on my Mini 4 with no problems. It's a dedicated plane device, so only GP plus a few other minor apps. I don't do DB updates with it, but it does talk to my panel via bluetooth. Will update to the 6 at some point, but no screaming need yet.

FF + and iPad is pretty much required kit nowadays. Amazingly, at least a year ago, it still ran on an iPad Mini 2, though it was brutally slow. I only know the Mini for FF, but generally expect them to work for 4-5 years before becoming obsolete.

For those who never had to use paper charts and plates, you may not actually know how good FF actually is. Weather, traffic, NOTAMs, TFRs, etc. all in the palm of your hand updated automatically. What's not to like? Android tablets aren't even worth the box they come in. Apple is a closed ecosystem which means they can control and homogenize both SW and HW. For a pilot running an important app, that's a good thing. It just works.
I love the "important app" kool-ade line as a way of dissing Android. I guess medical apps like those to monitor diabetes aren't quite as important :rolleyes: And the idea that FF as opposed to its competitors is essential is ridiculous.

iOS is indeed the leader in the aviation arena. But IMO that's mostly about history than any Inherent superiority of one OS over the other. By the time the first Android tablet came along, Foreflight and WingX were solidly in the aviation market. From the very beginning, that was going to be a difficult thing to overcome and a disincentive to heavy development for the Android OS.

(BTW, I guess I should mention I've been a Foreflight user for over 12 years.)

Reactions: cdb
You are completely wrong! I should be able to run the most recent Foreflight on this! Bloodsuckers! All of them!

View attachment 120769

People complain about the cost of an iPad, back in those days, EACH floppy drive was $1000. And hard drives were $1000 per MEGAbyte. And a Cessna 172 was about $34,000 new.

GP has had no similar announcement. I run it on my Mini 4 with no problems. It's a dedicated plane device, so only GP plus a few other minor apps. I don't do DB updates with it, but it does talk to my panel via bluetooth. Will update to the 6 at some point, but no screaming need yet.

GP did not run well on my Mini 4, so goes to show everyone’s needs are different. I had ADSB (traffic and weather), auto follow and used dynamic maps. When I was in an airspace with lots of traffic targets and airports other objects, the screen refresh would start hanging…it was maxed out.

I had to switch to old static government charts just to get it to work right again.

GP did not run well on my Mini 4, so goes to show everyone’s needs are different. I had ADSB (traffic and weather), auto follow and used dynamic maps. When I was in an airspace with lots of traffic targets and airports other objects, the screen refresh would start hanging…it was maxed out.

I had to switch to old static government charts just to get it to work right again.
Interesting. I have all of those features enabled as well, have not had any hang ups, though I think the refresh rate on zooming in and out of enroute and sectional charts would be better with a 6.

FF is required by who? I used paper charts and yes, the IPad and EFBs were a welcome change many levels, but there are several products <50% of the cost of FF that get the job done quite nicely.

Are paper charts still available to go with the 60 year old plane?

Re: Garmin Pilot compatibility-

I don’t recall the specifics but my old Mini 4 gave me a message that the latest GP update wasn’t compatible so it continued running a previous version. I upgraded to a Mini 6 but mostly for the improved screen, which really is better. Functionally the 4 and older GP version served me fine.

Last edited:
Are paper charts still available to go with the 60 year old plan

Sure are, I keep an "expired" one in the pouch behind the seat with " not for navigation" wrote on it. About an hour from home last week I lost GPS ...the magic magenta line went away....I knew the headings I needed to finish the flight but did remind me I might need to review old school navigation..like using two VORs and DME...yall noticed how many VORs that are out the system?

Back