FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
No, not THAT Ford Maverick!

51240213583_5a052257a6.jpg

THIS Ford Maverick:

Odd choice of names - I don’t think the original Maverick is held in very high regard. And it wasn’t a truck. And it would be nice if they came out with an All Electric or PHEV version. And at least they didn’t call it the Edsel! Still, a hybrid offering is nice and I bet they sell a ton of these!

Ford's marketing is confused, or maybe out of ideas. This truck looks interesting though.

Most people of car buying age have no association of the name with the 1970s compact. That was a long time ago and the car was forgettable.

I like it too, seems like a good deal compared to modern car prices. I’d like the turbo AWD with the 4K towing package. Anxious to see what that version gets for MPG. only let down is you have to get a Lariat to get the upgraded sound system.

Ford's marketing is confused, or maybe out of ideas. This truck looks interesting though.

Yeah, I balked at the Maverick namesake as well . . . definitely not a name that strikes a lot of emotion in people that were alive when the car was in production, lol. Same goes for the "Mustang" Mach-E. It just doesn't make any sense, but somehow Ford marketing seems to think it was better to leverage the product line identity. The Ford Lightning I'm okay with on the truck, even though it isn't quite in the same segment as the original Lightning, but it ought to be able to hold up the namesake.

The Maverick (new truck) should be a big hit for many people. Not as utilitarian as a Ranger, but more bed space than a Ridgline or the new Hyundai Santa Cruz products combined with much better "fuel" economy. I bet it will sell well, especially starting at $20K.

I like it too, seems like a good deal compared to modern car prices. I’d like the turbo AWD with the 4K towing package. Anxious to see what that version gets for MPG. only let down is you have to get a Lariat to get the upgraded sound system.

That's generally the case for just about every Ford truck product. The XLT models usually get excluded from the "technology packages" because the wiring harnesses aren't set up to just add the components. The Lariat/FX4/Limited/Platinums often have a different body harness that can plug-n-play a lot more of the peripherals.

Ford's marketing is confused, or maybe out of ideas.

It's been that way for awhile. My beloved car in high school was a '69 Ford Falcon Sport Coupe, with the 289 v8 and a glass pack muffler I added. I loved that car. And it couldn't have been more different than the Ford Falcon, which was the butt of a lot of jokes.

That's generally the case for just about every Ford truck product. The XLT models usually get excluded from the "technology packages" because the wiring harnesses aren't set up to just add the components. The Lariat/FX4/Limited/Platinums often have a different body harness that can plug-n-play a lot more of the peripherals.
I really like fabric seats but also like a premium sound system. Not that easy to upgrade speakers any more. I liked the Santa Cruz but the Turbo AWD only comes with a dual clutch transmission which is a deal breaker for me. Glad Ford stuck with a traditional automatic.

Not crazy about the interior on this, but it looks like a decent city truck. Low ride height, good mileage, low price.

A lot of fleets are going to buy these I bet.

I've already got a reservation (that's all they'll do for now) for a Lariat at my local dealer. Will replace a 2008 Ranger I bought new.

Not a whole lot of truck. More like a compact car with an open trunk. Front wheel drive, 2,000 lb towing capacity. I'm actually really surprised they brought this to US market. The compact truck market was all but dead for the last decade, then Chevy and Ford brought the Colorado and Ranger back. I can't believe there is that much market under those two trucks.

Not a whole lot of truck. More like a compact car with an open trunk. Front wheel drive, 2,000 lb towing capacity. I'm actually really surprised they brought this to US market. The compact truck market was all but dead for the last decade, then Chevy and Ford brought the Colorado and Ranger back. I can't believe there is that much market under those two trucks.
It can be optioned with AWD and up to 4k towing capacity which is good enough for a lot of boats under 19' or small campers. The Colorado and Ranger are as big and as capable as a full size was only 10-12 years ago and are priced as such. I think there will be a huge market for a truck at this price point. I do wish they would have offered an ext cab standard bed version but the reality is those trucks don't sell.

A Ford MAVERICK emblem was give to me about the time that I was promoted to management.

I posted it on the wall beside my desk, and caused quite a few positive comments, as I was tasked with changing the training philosophy of the department.

We converted from "On the job training" to formal classes, and standard tests to confirm skills.

That emblem is now in my garage, on the lid to my roll around tool chest.

The Maverick car was not much of a success, but most of the target customers were not born then, and by the time they were old enough to drive, most of the cars were gone. The legacy name connotations are not going to be an issue, as long as the performance is reasonable, and the truck pleasant to drive.

The issue with the small bed is one that creative owners will overcome in a variety of ways. I once carried 8, 20 foot long, mansard wood trusses, half on each side of my 8 foot bed Chevy pickup truck. The front ends of the trusses were at the front bumper . I climbed through the window to get in or out, had flags on all 4 corners. Combined with some lumber in the bed, the 3/4 ton springs were nearly touching the frame.

People who really need to haul something large will get similarly creative to make it work. I have seen some very slick compromises at the building supply stores as home owners create ways to get home with items that don't fit inside.

One of my sons bought a first year Ranger pickup, with the 2 liter economy engine and 5 speed manual trans. For city use and commuting it was outstanding. Ford should have kept that truck as it was for size, it was nearly the same as the new Maverick.

ranchero plz

That is what I thought of when I first saw this. Just a reincarnation of the old Ford Ranchero. For folks that want the comfort and ease driving of a car, yet need to look like a citified redneck....

129671_97ba40353e5d6b38.jpg

It can be optioned with AWD and up to 4k towing capacity which is good enough for a lot of boats under 19' or small campers. The Colorado and Ranger are as big and as capable as a full size was only 10-12 years ago and are priced as such. I think there will be a huge market for a truck at this price point. I do wish they would have offered an ext cab standard bed version but the reality is those trucks don't sell.

It actually strikes me as a revival of the Ford Explorer Sport Trac from the early 2000's. Crew cab seating, low vehicle height, small bed just big enough to be useful for the weekender going to buy plants or mulch.

ford-explorer-sport-trac-photo-165294-s-original.jpg

Those two have a huge market in Asia and the Middle East. Especially the diesel Ranger. We have one as a company pickup.

It actually strikes me as a revival of the Ford Explorer Sport Trac from the early 2000's.
That’s what I thought as well. They’re nowhere near “the same”, but pretty close in size and obviously aimed at the same market segment.

So in a few years maybe it will have grown to nearly the size of an F150, cost almost as much, and they’ll wonder why it’s not selling well and discontinue it.

That is what I thought of when I first saw this. Just a reincarnation of the old Ford Ranchero. For folks that want the comfort and ease driving of a car, yet need to look like a citified redneck....

I had the Chevy version as my first car…hated it, for many reasons.
Because the new truck comes standard with "Cruise" control.
Ok…I like to tell dad jokes, but that’s a little much…

That’s what I thought as well. They’re nowhere near “the same”, but pretty close in size and obviously aimed at the same market segment.

So in a few years maybe it will have grown to nearly the size of an F150, cost almost as much, and they’ll wonder why it’s not selling well and discontinue it.
Yeah, the F150 is nearly the same size now, as an older F250 was. Definitely not a small truck by any measure. I think the new Ranger is just about right in size and capability.

As for this new ‘Maverick’ truck, I’m not much of a fan. I was a big fan of the Bronco, until I saw one in person and realized that it’s basically just a Jeep Renegade.

Yeah, the F150 is nearly the same size now, as an older F250 was. Definitely not a small truck by any measure. I think the new Ranger is just about right in size and capability.

As for this new ‘Maverick’ truck, I’m not much of a fan. I was a big fan of the Bronco, until I saw one in person and realized that it’s basically just a Jeep Renegade.
I just couldn't bring my self to buy a Ranger. When equipped similar to an F150 they are within 3k of each other and the F-150 is more capable and gets practically the same mpg.

You must be talking about the Bronco Sport. The Bronco is a whole different animal.

I just couldn't bring my self to buy a Ranger. When equipped similar to an F150 they are within 3k of each other and the F-150 is more capable and gets practically the same mpg.
That’s where it really comes down to preference. For me, the Ranger would suit my needs well.
You must be talking about the Bronco Sport. The Bronco is a whole different animal.
Yeah, Bronco Sport.

I bought a new Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4 back in November. A Lariat FX4 F-150 SuperCrew even with a 2.7 was going to be damned near $10,000 more.

I bought a new Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4 back in November. A Lariat FX4 F-150 SuperCrew even with a 2.7 was going to be damned near $10,000 more.

Oh of course! In that trim the F150 had more standard equipment, a bigger back seat, and a way more powerful engine. That’s why I said similarly equipped.

Go to about 1:50. Or just enjoy the whole thing

1. The Maverick was one of the best looking Ford cars ever made. Too bad it was produced during the pre-fuel injection, smogged to death, union-made junk era... It was the standard graduation or birthday gift for every 16 year old girl in the US.

2. The new truck is based on a hybrid powertrain and all other versions will go away shortly after the first year.. (It's a trap!)

3. If only it was marketed as a Ute, like in Australia.

4. There is no fourth thing.

5. OMG! Their grammar is soooo bad: "Like wood, to build things out of wood with." Geez...

Most people of car buying age have no association of the name with the 1970s compact. That was a long time ago and the car was forgettable.

Not Stallion with the 302 Windsor, 4 speed, better suspension, and bigger tires. But then the first gas crunch hit and......

Back