Ford Maverick

They'll sell plenty of those little pickups. Nobody will buy this to move cords of firewood or pallets of OSB. Works just fine to carry some flowerpots, bags of mulch or bicycles.

Don't pick on the Vega. ...

actually, I wasn't. My first car was a (used) '73 Vega. I was one of the lucky ones in that the engine was still going strong when I sold it. Sure the timing belt broke in '78, but that's the normal useful life of that particular type of timing belt. Otherwise the car was perfectly reliable.

I sold the Vega when I bought my uncle's '75 Ford LTD 2-door Brougham (only to see gas prices sky-rocket to $1.25/gal)

I guess if I started drinking lattes and could grow a man bun it would be an OK city "truck". You might be able to throw a dead dear in the back and make it look more truck like.

You throw a dead dear in the back I think that makes you a serial killer. If you throw a dead deer in the back it makes you a cervid killer. :D

You throw a dead dear in the back I think that makes you a serial killer. If you throw a dead deer in the back it makes you a cervid killer. :D

Oops but either way....:p

or Chevy Vega

The only Vega I saw that would go anywhere fast belonged to the son of a guy I worked with. Of course, it had a 327 ci V8 under the hood. I'm glad I wasn't paying for his rear tires, that thing would light them up with the slightest touch on the throttle. Otherwise, the Vega with its aluminum block wasn't worth anything. 30,000 miles and it was time for a new engine. Or so said the local Chevy dealer when it first came out.

Cosworth_Vega_Engine.JPG

Right idea, wrong vehicle and a little too late.

Don't pick on the Vega. I had V8 Vega IMCA dirt car for a short time. I sold it along with the rest of my race equipment to afford flight training.

Ok, the only stock parts on it was the roof and outer door skins and the steering wheel....
My brother was going to drop a 327 Chevy with a racing transmission into a Vega. We convinced him that would be a bad idea. ;)

I did driver's ed in a Gremlin. It drove pretty much like any other American car of the time. I have no recollection of the Dodge Dart, although I do remember the Valiant from its oddly styled 1960's version.

690012_20649669_1962_Plymouth_Valiant3.jpg

I helped a college friend pull the slant 6 and install a 283 Chev V8 in Valient like this .
We had to run the tie rod through the oil pan. Welded a piece of exhaust pipe through oil pan to make the tunnel. it was a real "sleeper"

Back