Ford 9N Ignition Issues

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Ted DuPuis, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Bell206

Bell206 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    The engine rebuild should have taken care of any oil prime issues provided the right parts were used or not damaged during assembly. If prime at the filter doesn't work, the preferred method is to remove the oil pressure relief valve on the front timing case (below the water pump/above the dist) and shoot some heavy oil into it like 90-140 weight. Be careful not to lose the relief valve spring when removing.

If you continue to lose prime, at your next oil change look into the drain pan for the pickup tube and give it a wiggle test. If it moves then you probably have a crack or busted solder joint at the oil pump mount flange which can cause loss of prime. The only "common" side to this problem with the N series is it is a major pain to fix, not that it is a feature of the tractor.

Chip Sylverne likes this.
  2. Chip Sylverne

Chip Sylverne En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fear is the poison of our lives.
    If I recall, you can pull the oil pressure relief spring out of the housing and real quick pump some gear lube down there to help the gears pull suction. Sounds like a bad pickup tube o-ring or gasket, or maybe the tube. Was the pump packed with white lube or something to help pull suction when installed during the OH?

3. Ted DuPuis

Ted DuPuis Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    iBanYou
    I didn’t pack the gears with anything to help them make prime, but I should’ve. The pickup tube itself I believe is fine - I’ve checked that before. That said it’s the same one the engine had before so if it is somehow causing trouble then it would be the same. This one uses a gasket where the pickup bolts to the oil pump (really a poor design). I’ll take a look at the oil pressure relief spring area and see if I can dump some oil down there.

I ended up not working on it today at all. I was supposed to do a transport but cancelled due to weather and worked on a few other projects around the house.

4. david.h

david.h Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    david.h
    Glad to hear you got it running again.

Ted DuPuis likes this.
  5. Bell206

Bell206 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Bell206
    A pump type oil can with hose or a longer hose with a funnel and a 2nd pair of hands works to get oil in the right spot.

6. Ted DuPuis

Ted DuPuis Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    iBanYou
    Thanks, good to know. Maybe this coming weekend I'll get to spend some time working on the details like that. Now that it actually runs I'm going to go pick up a few parts for finishing up details on it.

If I can get it primed and running with oil pressure, then I can do the break-in run. The way it worked before was that if you ran it every day, it wouldn't lose prime. If you only ran it once every week or two (or less) it would lose prime. So I suppose I should first try getting it primed, and then once I do that see if it repeats itself.