Flying at MOCA to airport without IAP

polaris

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
polaris
I am flying to an airport without an IAP (2P2). There is an airway that crosses right above the airport with a MOCA of 2100 MSL. If I am above a cloud layer trying to land, is the best solution to get on that airway and ask ATC to clear me to the MOCA to see if I break out of the clouds?

I am flying to an airport without an IAP (2P2). There is an airway that crosses right above the airport with a MOCA of 2100 MSL. If I am above a cloud layer trying to land, is the best solution to get on that airway and ask ATC to clear me to the MOCA to see if I break out of the clouds?
Without looking at that airport, that is just what I do (or request minimum vectoring altitude) when going to a field without an IAP.

Something like that sounds reasonable. Just to back up a bit, before you head off you will of checked nearby weather. Once the weather is checked, you will have a good idea of what to expect, and if you could get in. Best not to try to force it if the weather is marginal.

If one of the nearby, Door Co airports, have an instrument procedure you could let down there & scoot over to 2P2. Of course one would want an adequate safety margin.

There was an accident a few years ago when a guy tried to get from St Ignace to Mackinac Island under a low overcast.

I think they have a 'fish boil' coming up. FWIW, I was at a cool fish boil a month ago, 'Fitzgeralds' in Genoa City, WI, right on the IL boarder. It's easy to get to.

I think they have a 'fish boil' coming up. FWIW, I was at a cool fish boil a month ago, 'Fitzgeralds' in Genoa City, WI, right on the IL boarder. It's easy to get to.

Yup... 2P2's fish boil fly-in is on July 19th. I'll be there. :thumbsup:

Since 2P2 is only 21nm from ESC VOR, you are within 25sm of the navaid (but just barely), so if the controller has radar coverage down that low, yes, you can get a clearance along V271 and try that. Just remember that 1 nm past 2P2, you go past the 25sm/22nm limit for MOCAs and will have to climb to 3000 for the MEA unless you have an IFR GPS. If the controller's radar coverage doesn't go down that low, the floor of that coverage will be your descent limit.

When you see the airport, you can request a visual approach from there. Alternatively, without the airport in sight, if you have ground contact and reasonably believe you can navigate to the airport by ground reference, you can request a contact approach. Just remember not to cancel IFR until you are 500 below the deck or get down into G-space at about 1800 MSL (the surface of Lake Michigan being listed as 580 MSL and the E-space floor there being 1200 AGL).

Since 2P2 is only 21nm from ESC VOR, you are within 25sm of the navaid (but just barely), so if the controller has radar coverage down that low, yes, you can get a clearance along V271 and try that. Just remember that 1 nm past 2P2, you go past the 25sm/22nm limit for MOCAs and will have to climb to 3000 for the MEA unless you have an IFR GPS. If the controller's radar coverage doesn't go down that low, the floor of that coverage will be your descent limit.

When you see the airport, you can request a visual approach from there. Alternatively, without the airport in sight, if you have ground contact and reasonably believe you can navigate to the airport by ground reference, you can request a contact approach. Just remember not to cancel IFR until you are 500 below the deck or get down into G-space at about 1800 MSL (the surface of Lake Michigan being listed as 580 MSL and the E-space floor there being 1200 AGL).
I haven't looked this up at this time, but I thought contact approaches can't be used as a "poor man's approach." Meaning, they can only be assigned when the destination airfield has an SIAP, and the PIC reasonably believes he can navigate to the field via ground reference under visual conditions.

When you see the airport, you can request a visual approach from there. Alternatively, without the airport in sight, if you have ground contact and reasonably believe you can navigate to the airport by ground reference, you can request a contact approach. ........
2P2 has no instrument approaches, therefore you won't be issued a contact approach.

If no weather reporting with reported ground viz of 1SM at destination, and no published approaches (both need to exist), a Contact Approach not an option. Also, I would not recommend that someone try to perform a contact approach, unless a high priority reason exists. $100 hamburger or visiting Aunt Sue, are not in my book. VFR, you either get the airport on sight, or do not. "Hunting for the airport" is not really high on the safety yardstick of things to do.

Might work better to file .....ESC --D-> 2P2, then after crossing ESC request a cruise clearance. That would almost certainly allow you to descend as low as MOCA on the airway perhaps lower.

Might work better to file .....ESC --D-> 2P2, then after crossing ESC request a cruise clearance. That would almost certainly allow you to descend as low as MOCA on the airway perhaps lower.

A cruise clearance allows you to go as low as the minimum IFR altitude... is that the MEA or the MOCA?

Also, based on what you said, under what circumstances can you go below MOCA in this scenario?

There is no MOCA for ESC -> 2P2, only for V271. Since that direct line to 2P2 is not the same as V271, you cannot use the V271 MOCA. If you file direct 2P2, since a cruise clearance allows descent only to the "minimum IFR altitude", you'd have to get in the sectional and determine the highest obstruction within 4nm either side of that direct route, and stay at least 1000 above that obstruction. Further, since that would be an "off-route" clearance, you cannot use even that altitude unless ATC can provide radar monitoring that low -- you'd have to ask them. Finally, since there is no navaid on the airport at 2P2, this clearance cannot be accepted legally without an IFR GPS or other approved RNAV system because you could not determine arrival at that point with only a VOR.

............... If you file direct 2P2, since a cruise clearance allows descent only to the "minimum IFR altitude", you'd have to get in the sectional and determine the highest obstruction within 4nm either side of that direct route, and stay at least 1000 above that obstruction. .....
Well, you got THAT part right, Ron. Beyond that you've got so many misconceptions I hardly know where to begin.....
#1, you don't need radar monitoring to fly a direct clearance, #2 you don't need a navaid on the airport to determine your arrival at 2P2 with just a VOR receiver.

A cruise clearance allows you to go as low as the minimum IFR altitude... is that the MEA or the MOCA?

Also, based on what you said, under what circumstances can you go below MOCA in this scenario?
On a direct route from ESC --D-> 2P2 your minimum IFR altitude is as Ron suggests no lower than 1000' above the highest obstacle within 4 nm of your course, MEA and MOCA on the airway are irrelevant as you're not on the airway. The circumstances under which your minimum IFR altitude might likely be lower than MOCA on the airway are that airway MOCA is based on obstacle clearance on the whole airway segment between ESC and ??? thus there may well be higher obstructions south of 2P2 that effect airway MOCA but wouldn't effect your ESC --D-> 2P2 route. OTOH there may be higher obstructions in close to the west of your route that wouldn't effect MOCA on the airway? You just have to study the sectional chart to determine that.

Last edited:
#1, you don't need radar monitoring to fly a direct clearance,
I'm pretty sure that's in keeping with things that Steven has said... that a random route clearance cannot be issued outside of a radar environment.
#2 you don't need a navaid on the airport to determine your arrival at 2P2 with just a VOR receiver.
This has been hashed out so many times I doubt if anyone is going to change their minds. But that's what one school of thought says, that as far as the FAA is concerned, it's not legal to navigate direct to a random fix with only a VOR receiver.

btw, you identify 2P2 in this case by flying out ESC radial 161 to the 21.3 DME fix. If you don't have DME then you identify by a cross radial from MNM (r068).

some good points posted so far and also some "sure making this hard" advice coming out. Flying is meant to be fun ! And the planning should be easier versus harder, or nobody is gonna do it, and we will have more incidents/crashes.

With that said, you did not post Point of Departure. Nor did you post that you will be on an IFR flight plan, although I assume yes, IFR, due to mention to clouds and MOCAs.

Also, if you "get on the airway", how (altitudes) did you travel from departure point over to the airway ? How did you choose those altitudes ?

What I would do is look at the sectional and IFR low enroute charts, file an appropriate altitude to 2P2, say for example 4000 (plenty safe but not Flight Level 510), then ask ATC in plain English (don't say MOCA, as the MOCA may be ABOVE the MVA Minimum Vectoring Altitude and due to liability, he may say, Pilot asked for MOCA, so I will give him MOCA), just in plain english "trying to get into 2P2, if you can get me to the lowest safest altitude and maybe vector me onto long final" or similar statement.

ATC will get the message and give you what they can give you.

I'm pretty sure that's in keeping with things that Steven has said... that a random route clearance cannot be issued outside of a radar environment.
This is a direct route from a VOR within the navaid service volume, you don't need radar to do that.

btw, you identify 2P2 in this case by flying out ESC radial 161 to the 21.3 DME fix. If you don't have DME then you identify by a cross radial from MNM (r068).
Assuming you have an official source for those coordinates, I think everyone would agree that's a legal clearance. Just not direct from a random point.

As to #1, I think the reference is JO 7110.65, section 5-5-1a.

Cherokee One Alpha Bravo, cleared direct to the Escanaba one six one radial two one point three mile fix.”

(John how did we ever fly before moving maps and GPS)

:mad2:

Last edited:
This is a direct route from a VOR within the navaid service volume, you don't need radar to do that.
Yes, but that's not what C'Ron was talking about. "Direct" means point to point, not along a VOR radial. That's what ATC will not clear you for outside of a radar environment.

I'm sure you could file to a lat/long coordinate or a radial+DME, just not sure that would be a legitimate route with 2P2 as the destination.

This has been hashed out so many times I doubt if anyone is going to change their minds. But that's what one school of thought says, that as far as the FAA is concerned, it's not legal to navigate direct to a random fix with only a VOR receiver.
Good grief, we do this all the time!
Coming home filed /A across GGW (Glasgow VOR/DME) --D-> 15MT (Saubak pvt). Fly out the GGW r045 to 33.5 DME, radar coverage is nonexistent below about 7 to 8 thousand msl, center'll clear me down to 5000' based on his minimum IFR altitude for the area, if I need lower a cruise clearance'll allow me to descend to 4020' (1000' above a communications tower at 3020 msl within 4 nm of my course).

"Direct" means point to point, not along a VOR radial.
I beg to differ. "Random routes" mean not along a VOR radial. "Direct routes" have been described in the AIM for longer than the capabilities to make random routes have existed.

dtuuri

Last edited:
Yes, but that's not what C'Ron was talking about. "Direct" means point to point, not along a VOR radial. That's what ATC will not clear you for outside of a radar environment.

I'm sure you could file to a lat/long coordinate or a radial+DME, just not sure that would be a legitimate route with 2P2 as the destination.

why not sure ?

what do you mean "point to point" ? Have you never heard of "Present position direct XXXXX" ? ATC is saying "your present point" direct (next point/location)

what do you mean "not along a VOR radial" ? So basically I cannot be tracking ANY VOR radial on the earth in order to obtain a direct clearance ? I cannot be tracking ESC 180 radial outbound, and to shorten my route up, cannot request "Can one two three alpha get direct Happy Town" ?

No, denied, you are tracking a VOR radial

:confused:

this sure is getting to be hard

Last edited:
ESC --D-> 2P2, since ESC is in fact a VOR station explain how that route is "not along a VOR radial"?

Good grief, we do this all the time!
Coming home filed /A across GGW (Glasgow VOR/DME) --D-> 15MT (Saubak pvt). Fly out the GGW r045 to 33.5 DME, radar coverage is nonexistent below about 7 to 8 thousand msl, center'll clear me down to 5000' based on his minimum IFR altitude for the area, if I need lower a cruise clearance'll allow me to descend to 4020' (1000' above a communications tower at 3020 msl within 4 nm of my course).
We're talking past each other. You're talking about flying out a radial from a VOR. Everyone agrees that's completely legal to fly /A. The argument comes in when someone says they can navigate *direct* to that point along a random route. Obviously it's doable, since rho-theta RNAV computers are using some algorithm to do it and if you know it, and are good enough, you can carry out the necessary calculations yourself without the KNS-81 or whatever. Or maybe there's an easier way. But lots of people (C'Ron included unless he's changed his position) say the FAA doesn't recognize that as legit. Steven has argued the opposite position. But since you're talking about flying a radial, that whole argument doesn't matter.

I'd be interested to know what you file though, and what your clearance is. Cleared to 15MT via... ? Or cleared to the GGW 045 radial at 33.1 DME fix?

I beg to differ. "Random routes" mean not along a VOR radial. "Direct routes" have been described in the AIM for longer than the capabilities to make random routes have existed.

dtuuri
Okay, I'll stick to saying "random route" then. I did use that term earlier, but thought "point to point" was a clear enough synonym for the same idea.

what do you mean "point to point" ? Have you never heard of "Present position direct XXXXX" ? ATC is saying "your present point" direct (next point/location)
I meant "along a random route".

what do you mean "not along a VOR radial" ? So basically I cannot be tracking ANY VOR radial on the earth in order to obtain a direct clearance ? I cannot be tracking ESC 180 radial outbound, and to shorten my route up, cannot request "Can one two three alpha get direct Happy Town" ?
Sure, provided Happy Town is (charted as) along the ESC 180 radial AND you have a (charted) cross radial or DME to identify when you've reached Happy Town.

THAT'S why I'm not sure, because I haven't seen an official source for those coordinates. Skyvector has 2P2 at 23.1 DME along the 160 radial (not the 161). But it's not in the A/FD as far as I can tell.

I meant "along a random route".

Sure, provided Happy Town is (charted as) along the ESC 180 radial AND you have a (charted) cross radial or DME to identify when you've reached Happy Town.

THAT'S why I'm not sure, because I haven't seen an official source for those coordinates. Skyvector has 2P2 at 23.1 DME along the 160 radial (not the 161). But it's not in the A/FD as far as I can tell.

A point does not need to be charted to be cleared direct. ATC does this sometimes when issuing holds. Cleared present position direct ABC 180 radial at 25 DME, HOLD right turns, leg length your discretion, while we get these storms out of the way, EFC time is XXX"

Why would ATC do this? Maybe the charted points/NAVAIDS are covered up with storm cells. So they can't tell you "go fly around and we will call you back in 30 minutes" as under IFR handling, you gotta have SOME sort of route or instructions, due to lost comm, etc stuff. But due to the storms, the "charted" points are not available. So they send you to a POINT, DEFINED by other means. It is not "random", it is defined.

the point above is NOT charted ! you were cleared direct by ATC however. Due to your Equip Suffix on your flight strip, ATC knows that Cherokee 123 has VOR nav, Gulfstream 456 has RNAV with LPV, etc etc. So they handle accordingly.

A "point" is a point in space defined by lat long/navaid radial, distance/etc. A WAYpoint is a named point. A NAVAID is a navigational device fixed on a POINT (ABC VOR located an XXXX North, ZZZZZ West), etc.

airnav (not "FAA" data but...) has it at 161 radial

http://airnav.com/airport/2P2

Either one for the purposes of accomplishing what original poster wants should be fine. Tell ATC what you want to accomplish and they will try to get it done.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to know what you file though, and what your clearance is. Cleared to 15MT via... ? Or cleared to the GGW 045 radial at 33.1 DME fix?
Filed "......GGW --D-> " destination "15MT".
".....cleared to the 15MT airport as filed climb to & maintain xxxx"

A point does not need to be charted to be cleared direct. ATC does this sometimes when issuing holds. Cleared present position direct ABC 180 radial at 25 DME, HOLD right turns, leg length your discretion, while we get these storms out of the way, EFC time is XXX"
Sure, I agree with that and wrote as much a few posts up. But that is a clearance to a specified position -- not the same thing as 2P2 or some airport without a charted radial/DME position.

In contrast, under radio aids to navigation, 76G is at ECK 177 radial, 32.5 DME. So I wouldn't be at all surprised to get a clearance to 76G "via direct ECK, 177 radial direct" or similar if I was /A.

airnav (not "FAA" data but...) has it at 161 radial

http://airnav.com/airport/2P2

Either one for the purposes of accomplishing what original poster wants should be fine. Tell ATC what you want to accomplish and they will try to get it done.
And I've done stuff like the above when VFR... but since airnav isn't official data, I wonder if "direct ESC direct" or "direct ESC, direct via the 161 radial" is a legitimate clearance with 2P2 as the clearance limit.

Sure, I agree with that and wrote as much a few posts up. But that is a clearance to a specified position -- not the same thing as 2P2 or some airport without a charted radial/DME position.

In contrast, under radio aids to navigation, 76G is at ECK 177 radial, 32.5 DME. So I wouldn't be at all surprised to get a clearance to 76G "via direct ECK, 177 radial direct" or similar if I was /A.

And I've done stuff like the above when VFR... but since airnav isn't official data, I wonder if "direct ESC direct" or "direct ESC, direct via the 161 radial" is a legitimate clearance with 2P2 as the clearance limit.

ATC, not us, determines if a clearance can be issued. By the way, if you claim that a "legitimate clearance" exists then by definition an "illegitimate" one must exist also. Neither exist in my opinion. ATC/FAA issues clearance (permission) to play in the IFR system. You either get a clearance or you don't. They will not issue an illegal clearance, 99% of time. We still need to monitor the monitors and work together as professionals, ATC recently cleared a freight crew down below MEA or MSA (can't remember) in Alaska and they hit terra firma. But in most cases, they do a good job.

what I am trying to say, is 2P2 is your filed destination. Use your charts/etc to best determine location of 2P2, and file that. If in doubt, file via telephone and ask them. "Hello Mr Briefer, yeah I am trying to go to 2P2, IFR, from XXXX. Can you help me out? Is it 160 or 161 radial, just wanted to ask". Go with what the briefer says ! Put it on him. Then verbally file it.

Still not sure how we ever flew before RNAV, GPS, Foreflight, fltplan dot com, etc. God forbid I ever dodged weather with my eyeballs in a Navajo single pilot night 135 before XM down linked radar. Or turned the ADF audio on to make sure the marker was active on the approach. Wow

by the way, you COULD file fltplan dot com 1000 feet, DIRECT, and when ATC gives you the clearance, they will give you the proper "legitimate" / "legal" route/altitudes themselves !!!! "Cherokee 123, yeah uh your filed route and altitude is not gonna work, advise when ready to copy a revised routing"

Last edited:

Radar procedures must be used beyond 22 miles of the VOR, no exception is provided for GPS.

Contact approaches are not available at airports without IAPs.

Last edited:

It's the MOCA if on the airway. If not on the airway it's an altitude of 1000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal distance of four nautical miles from the course to be flown. There's a bit of wiggle room with a clearance "Escanaba direct Washington Island." The airway has not been assigned but the route is within the lateral limits of the airway.

There is no MOCA for ESC -> 2P2, only for V271. Since that direct line to 2P2 is not the same as V271, you cannot use the V271 MOCA. If you file direct 2P2, since a cruise clearance allows descent only to the "minimum IFR altitude", you'd have to get in the sectional and determine the highest obstruction within 4nm either side of that direct route, and stay at least 1000 above that obstruction.

Should be a pretty quick study, it's nearly all over water.

Further, since that would be an "off-route" clearance, you cannot use even that altitude unless ATC can provide radar monitoring that low -- you'd have to ask them. Finally, since there is no navaid on the airport at 2P2, this clearance cannot be accepted legally without an IFR GPS or other approved RNAV system because you could not determine arrival at that point with only a VOR.

Radar monitoring is required for direct routes beyond NAVAID usable limits. ESC VOR/DME is good for 40 miles, 2P2 is less than 22 miles away.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to me here. I'm also quite confident that I've always phrased it as requiring radar monitoring for routes beyond NAVAID usable limits. 2P2 is less than 22 miles from ESC VOR/DME, well within the forty mile limit.

Assuming you have an official source for those coordinates, I think everyone would agree that's a legal clearance. Just not direct from a random point.

Do you have an official source that indicates an official source is required for those coordinates? Look at the language of FAR 91.177 for a moment:

(1) The applicable minimum altitudes prescribed in parts 95 and 97 of this chapter. However, if both a MEA and a MOCA are prescribed for a particular route or route segment, a person may operate an aircraft below the MEA down to, but not below, the MOCA, provided the applicable navigation signals are available. For aircraft using VOR for navigation, this applies only when the aircraft is within 22 nautical miles of that VOR (based on the reasonable estimate by the pilot operating the aircraft of that distance); or

Why would that be sufficient for MOCA purposes but not for route clearances?

Back