Flying at MOCA to airport without IAP

Last edited:
Radar procedures must be used beyond 22 miles of the VOR, no exception is provided for GPS.
Are you sure? This snip (par 4-4-1 c.) from the link you posted seems to say otherwise:
"c. Random routes.
1. When not being radar monitored, GNSS-equipped RNAV aircraft on random RNAV routes must be cleared via or reported to be established on a point-to-point route.
(a) The points must be published NAVAIDs, waypoints, fixes or airports recallable from the aircraft’s navigation database. The points must be displayed on controller video maps or depicted on the controller chart displayed at the control position. When applying nonradar separation the maximum distance between points must not exceed 500 miles."​

dtuuri

Last edited:
Are you sure?

Yes.

This snip from the link you posted seems to say otherwise:
"c. Random routes.
1. When not being radar monitored, GNSS-equipped RNAV aircraft on random RNAV routes must be cleared via or reported to be established on a point-to-point route.
(a) The points must be published NAVAIDs, waypoints, fixes or airports recallable from the aircraft’s navigation database. The points must be displayed on controller video maps or depicted on the controller chart displayed at the control position. When applying nonradar separation the maximum distance between points must not exceed 500 miles."​

That's random routes, not airways, and there's no mention of altitude at all. See paragraph 4-5-6.a.

That's random routes, not airways, and there's no mention of altitude at all. See paragraph 4-5-6.a.

Ok, so you could clear the OP ESC direct 292 (if GPS equipped) even if below radar coverage and even if 292 were beyond 22 miles, but you can't clear it via an airway if that were the case?

dtuuri

Ok, so you could clear the OP ESC direct 292 (if GPS equipped) even if below radar coverage and even if 292 were beyond 22 miles, but you can't clear it via an airway if that were the case?

No.

The OP can be cleared ESC direct 2P2 without radar or GPS because it is within the usable limits of the VOR. The minimum altitude ZMP could assign is the MIA, probably 2500 MSL in that area. The pilot could be issued a cruise clearance which would allow him to determine and descend to the minimum altitude that complied with FAR 91.177(a). Most of that route is over Green Bay, surface elevation 580' MSL per the sectional.

The OP can be cleared to 2P2 via the airway down to the MOCA, 2100 MSL, without radar or GPS because 2P2 is within 22 miles of the VOR. A lower altitude is not available because the route is one where a minimum altitude is prescribed in Part 95.

No.

The OP can be cleared ESC direct 2P2 without radar or GPS because it is within the usable limits of the VOR. The minimum altitude ZMP could assign is the MIA, probably 2500 MSL in that area. The pilot could be issued a cruise clearance which would allow him to determine and descend to the minimum altitude that complied with FAR 91.177(a). Most of that route is over Green Bay, surface elevation 580' MSL per the sectional.
I knew that, but I'm trying to get at something else.

The OP can be cleared to 2P2 via the airway down to the MOCA, 2100 MSL, without radar or GPS because 2P2 is within 22 miles of the VOR. A lower altitude is not available because the route is one where a minimum altitude is prescribed in Part 95.
Again, that much I knew, but I'm asking (or attempting to ask) about a GPS filed route to a hypothetical airport beyond the 22/40 nm limits, where you say radar is required. In other words, those "limits" don't seem to apply to GPS random routes according to the paragraph I cited from 7110.65.

dtuuri

Maybe Steve doesn't have any points on his video maps or controller charts.

This text is new to V. See the big BLACK BAR down the side. They've reformatted this section a bit, but I believe the previous version only permitted to omission of radar monitoring in the Anchorage Center airspace.

Well, you got THAT part right, Ron. Beyond that you've got so many misconceptions I hardly know where to begin.....
#1, you don't need radar monitoring to fly a direct clearance, #2 you don't need a navaid on the airport to determine your arrival at 2P2 with just a VOR receiver.
FAA Order 7110.65 specifically requires radar monitoring for flight below the published MEA on an airway. And to accept a clearance to a fix, you must have sufficient equipment to be able to determine lateral deviation off course as well as arrival at that fix. With only a VOR, you cannot determine arrival over 2P2.

FAA Order 7110.65 specifically requires radar monitoring for flight below the published MEA on an airway. And to accept a clearance to a fix, you must have sufficient equipment to be able to determine lateral deviation off course as well as arrival at that fix. With only a VOR, you cannot determine arrival over 2P2.

do you mean one (1) VOR without DME ? Is that what you are talking about

btw, you identify 2P2 in this case by flying out ESC radial 161 to the 21.3 DME fix. If you don't have DME then you identify by a cross radial from MNM (r068).
You cannot legally use a DME cut or VOR radial to identify a point not defined by that DME cut or VOR radial. One could legally obtain a clearance direct to ESC161021 (ESC 161 radial/21 DME fix), but a) that's not the same as being cleared direct 2P2, and b) you'd need a DME receiver which the OP doesn't have. With only VOR, you could obtain a clearance from ESC via the ESC 161 radial to the intersection of that radial with the MNM 068 radial (assuming there are no published or NOTAM restrictions on that radial), but again, that is not the same as being cleared direct to 2P2. This may seem like semantics, but it is the rule.

You cannot legally use a DME cut or VOR radial to identify a point not defined by that DME cut or VOR radial. One could legally obtain a clearance direct to ESC161021 (ESC 161 radial/21 DME fix), but a) that's not the same as being cleared direct 2P2, and b) you'd need a DME receiver which the OP doesn't have. With only VOR, you could obtain a clearance from ESC via the ESC 161 radial to the intersection of that radial with the MNM 068 radial (assuming there are no published or NOTAM restrictions on that radial), but again, that is not the same as being cleared direct to 2P2. This may seem like semantics, but it is the rule.

Cherokee 123, descend and maintain 1500 (or whatever is MVA) at this time, proceed present position direct (or whatever) ESC 161 at 21 DME, if 2P2 not in sight upon reaching ESC 161 21 DME fix, make left turn and fly heading 090 and climb and maintain 3000 (or similar exit plan). Remain on my frequency until instructed otherwise.

(or similar instructions)

I don't see how the above would not work to get him into 2P2, which is the goal.

Also, OP posted twice to this thread up this this point. At no point did he mention what VOR/DME/etc equipment he had or did not have. Where did you get he does not have DME? Did you just assume that ? Maybe I missed something, but I am reading the same thread you are, yes ? No ?

I am flying to an airport without an IAP (2P2). There is an airway that crosses right above the airport with a MOCA of 2100 MSL. If I am above a cloud layer trying to land, is the best solution to get on that airway and ask ATC to clear me to the MOCA to see if I break out of the clouds?

A cruise clearance allows you to go as low as the minimum IFR altitude... is that the MEA or the MOCA?

Also, based on what you said, under what circumstances can you go below MOCA in this scenario?

The original post discussed his desire for a solution to fix his problem (getting into 2P2). We are addressing that. Lets keep it on task and not get into the weeds with NOTAMS on radials and other stuff. Why don't we just tell OP

Great question Mr. OP. However you are assuming no runway closures at your departure point exist, your fuel sump shows no water, no NOTAMS or TFR's exist enroute, and that no Chief Counsel opinions are released regarding NAVAID usage the morning of your flight. Mr OP you should not try to make this easy, instead make this extremely hard, to the point that pilots get diagnosed with OCD and try to manage every single detail of every single thing. Flying should be hard, and difficult. How dare you depart on the airway, request to descend and try to get the airport in sight. This should be hard.

Last edited:

The problem I have with that line of reasoning is that IFR clearances almost always end with direct to the airport, but what people almost always fly for the last leg of the flight is an instrument approach or a visual approach. You don't have to fly to the exact location of an airport to start either type of approach.

However if the pilot is concerned about the possibility that the FAA might deem it illegal to file to an airport that the pilot is planning to find via VOR radials and/or DME distance that he determined himself, why not just file that radial crossing and/or DME distance as the final fix before the airport?

Cherokee 123, descend and maintain 1500 (or whatever is MVA) at this time, proceed present position direct (or whatever) ESC 161 at 21 DME, if 2P2 not in sight upon reaching ESC 161 21 DME fix, make left turn and fly heading 090 and climb and maintain 3000 (or similar exit plan). Remain on my frequency until instructed otherwise.

(or similar instructions)

I don't see how the above would not work to get him into 2P2, which is the goal.
I agree,provided the aircraft has either DME or IFR GPS, and suggested much the same above. Note that with the elevations in that area (starting with the lake surface at 580 MSL), 1500 MSL is going to be too low to be legal, but I'm sure the controller can sort that out.
Also, OP posted twice to this thread up this this point. At no point did he mention what VOR/DME/etc equipment he had or did not have. Where did you get he does not have DME? Did you just assume that ? Maybe I missed something, but I am reading the same thread you are, yes ? No ?
That was the impression I had. If I was wrong, then a clearance such as you suggested would be legal.

The problem I have with that line of reasoning is that IFR clearances almost always end with direct to the airport, but what people almost always fly for the last leg of the flight is an instrument approach or a visual approach. You don't have to fly to the exact location of an airport to start either type of approach.
Yes, you do. You either have to have the field in sight for the visual or an approved procedure to get there (the IAP) to be cleared for one of those options.
However if the pilot is concerned about the possibility that the FAA might deem it illegal to file to an airport that the pilot is planning to find via VOR radials and/or DME distance that he determined himself, why not just file that radial crossing and/or DME distance as the final fix before the airport?
Why not, indeed? And I so suggested above.

Again, that much I knew, but I'm asking (or attempting to ask) about a GPS filed route to a hypothetical airport beyond the 22/40 nm limits, where you say radar is required. In other words, those "limits" don't seem to apply to GPS random routes according to the paragraph I cited from 7110.65.

You're asking about what you referred to in part in a previous message, paragraph 4-4-1.c. How do you see that having any effect on the route under discussion here?

Wrong. Radar monitoring is required beyond 22 miles from the VOR and that distance is based on the reasonable estimate by the pilot operating the aircraft.

What rule is that?

You're asking about what you referred to in part in a previous message, paragraph 4-4-1.c. How do you see that having any effect on the route under discussion here?
You appeared to widen the discussion to include points beyond 22 nm of a NAVAID that are on an airway with this general statement:
Radar procedures must be used beyond 22 miles of the VOR, no exception is provided for GPS.
But my cite seems to say radar is not a requirement for certain equipped aircraft on up to 500 nm route segments. Just trying to verify that I understand that correctly, not trying to play "gotcha". Also, it was new language, maybe you hadn't seen it?

dtuuri

You appeared to widen the discussion to include points beyond 22 nm of a NAVAID that are on an airway with this general statement:

Originally Posted by roncachamp

That was in response to Levy's statement:
Since 2P2 is only 21nm from ESC VOR, you are within 25sm of the navaid (but just barely), so if the controller has radar coverage down that low, yes, you can get a clearance along V271 and try that. Just remember that 1 nm past 2P2, you go past the 25sm/22nm limit for MOCAs and will have to climb to 3000 for the MEA unless you have an IFR GPS. If the controller's radar coverage doesn't go down that low, the floor of that coverage will be your descent limit.

The subject was flight below the MEA, down to the MOCA. The operation in question is less than 22 miles from the VOR so radar is not required and GPS, while very nice to have, does not offer any advantage because the operation is within usable NAVAID limits.

But my cite seems to say radar is not a requirement for certain equipped aircraft on up to 500 nm route segments. Just trying to verify that I understand that correctly, not trying to play "gotcha". Also, it was new language, maybe you hadn't seen it?

I've seen it. Did you read all of it? Paragraph 4-4-1.c.1.(c) states; "Assigned altitudes must be at or above the highest MIA along the projected route segment being flown, including the protected airspace of that route segment."

IIRC the MIA in that area is 2500. The OP can get down to 2100 on the airway and down to 1600 on a cruise clearance. The new language of paragraph 4-4-1.c.1.(c) does not help him.

91.205(d)(2), which the FAA says means this even if Steven personally disagrees.

Where does the FAA say that? The FAA says, in FAR 91.177, that the reasonable estimate by the pilot operating the aircraft is sufficient.

91.205(d)(2), which the FAA says means this even if Steven personally disagrees.

again, you are of the thinking that OP does not have the navigation equipment suitable for route flown. OP never told us what he had, nor was that his question. OP could have Proline 21 with LPV for all we know. He asked about MOCA and getting into 2P2.

This making stuff more than what it is, and getting off track into the weeds, is not benefiting anyone.

The new language of paragraph 4-4-1.c.1.(c) does not help him.
I'm trying to see if it helps others by not needing to rely on radar if they happen to be going somewhere beyond 22 nm on an airway or beyond 40 nm of a low altitude VOR. It looks to me like, with the specified RNAV equipment, they can.

Of course, if I was the OP I wouldn't spend my money on a sectional chart and waste my time trying to see what my minimum instrument altitude would be for an off-airway flight like this. I'd simply file ESC V271 WINEP and not request any altitude lower than my power-off gliding distance from land. If I can't see the island from there, I'll go somewhere else to party. (EDIT: In a twin, I'd go the cruise clearance route. :))

dtuuri

Last edited:
again, you are of the thinking that OP does not have the navigation equipment suitable for route flown. OP never told us what he had, nor was that his question.
I thought made it clear I was speaking about a VOR-only airplane regarding a clearance direct 2P2 being prohibited by 91.205(d)(2). I also said it was legal if the OP had some sort of RNAV (VOR/DME or GPS). And 91.177 isn't relevant to that question or its answer -- it doesn't matter what altitude you're at.

I thought made it clear I was speaking about a VOR-only airplane regarding a clearance direct 2P2 being prohibited by 91.205(d)(2). I also said it was legal if the OP had some sort of RNAV (VOR/DME or GPS). And 91.177 isn't relevant to that question or its answer -- it doesn't matter what altitude you're at.

It doesn't matter what you say, it's what you can support with verifiable documentation that matters. Your record is pretty poor.

I'm still not clear on why you're saying it's not legal to locate the airport via two cross radials, or via a radial and DME. Why do you believe that doesn't meet the requirements of 91.205(d)(2)?

Yes, you do.

There's no such thing as exact in the physical world.

You either have to have the field in sight for the visual or an approved procedure to get there (the IAP) to be cleared for one of those options.

I agree, but you don't have to get exactly over the airport to get the field in sight.

I'm pretty sure you're referring to me here. I'm also quite confident that I've always phrased it as requiring radar monitoring for routes beyond NAVAID usable limits. 2P2 is less than 22 miles from ESC VOR/DME, well within the forty mile limit.
Yes, I was referring to you, but now I'm actually not sure of the context. In any case, if I understand correctly, you're talking about radar monitoring of aircraft navigating with the use of ground-based NAVAIDs. I was talking about random routes, including RNAV routes not based on NAVAIDs. I seem to recall you saying that radar monitoring is required on such routes as well. JO7110.65U, Section 5-5-1 said that radar separation is required on such routes, with an exception for GPS-equipped aircraft on random routes in Anchorage Center airspace, and obviously radar separation is impossible outside of a radar environment. But from your later post, it seems 7110.65U is superseded by 7110.65V, and section 5-5-1 now reads somewhat differently. Now the exception applies to GNSS-equipped aircraft NOT on a random impromptu route. I'm not sure what "impromptu" means here (it was in parentheses in the previous version of the order, making me think it's just descriptive) but if the meaning is the same as a random route, then it seems that radar separation is still required for /G aircraft on random routes.

Do you have an official source that indicates an official source is required for those coordinates?
No I don't. As I said, I'm just not sure it's legal. Until John's post earlier in the thread of a route clearance to a private field, I'd never heard of that being done when there was no official data published.

Look at the language of FAR 91.177 for a moment:

(1) The applicable minimum altitudes prescribed in parts 95 and 97 of this chapter. However, if both a MEA and a MOCA are prescribed for a particular route or route segment, a person may operate an aircraft below the MEA down to, but not below, the MOCA, provided the applicable navigation signals are available. For aircraft using VOR for navigation, this applies only when the aircraft is within 22 nautical miles of that VOR (based on the reasonable estimate by the pilot operating the aircraft of that distance); or

Why would that be sufficient for MOCA purposes but not for route clearances?
It's not the clearance along a radial to a fix defined by radial+distance that I was questioning, but the ability to identify the clearance limit if it's given in the form of the identifier of an airport for which official data has not been published.

JO7110.65U, Section 5-5-1 said that radar separation is required on such routes, with an exception for GPS-equipped aircraft on random routes in Anchorage Center airspace, and obviously radar separation is impossible outside of a radar environment. But from your later post, it seems 7110.65U is superseded by 7110.65V, and section 5-5-1 now reads somewhat differently. Now the exception applies to GNSS-equipped aircraft NOT on a random impromptu route. I'm not sure what "impromptu" means here (it was in parentheses in the previous version of the order, making me think it's just descriptive) but if the meaning is the same as a random route, then it seems that radar separation is still required for /G aircraft on random routes.
At the risk of complete threadjack, I'll add that just today I flew from 57D to 6B0 via BUF V2 SYR KRAZZ, cleared altitude 9,000. Soon after I left the airway at SYR, Syracuse Approach came on and told me that Boston Center had some equipment outages preventing them from seeing me at 9,000 and insisted that I either climb to 11,000 or they'd have to put me back on an airway route. I took it that radar monitoring would not have been required on the airway, but was required if I wanted to fly the random route SYR KRAZZ 6B0. Is this incorrect?

No I don't. As I said, I'm just not sure it's legal. Until John's post earlier in the thread of a route clearance to a private field, I'd never heard of that being done when there was no official data published.

It's not the clearance along a radial to a fix defined by radial+distance that I was questioning, but the ability to identify the clearance limit if it's given in the form of the identifier of an airport for which official data has not been published.

Sectional charts and enroute charts are official data, and they have distance scales and VOR compass roses printed on them.

Sectional charts and enroute charts are official data, and they have distance scales and VOR compass roses printed on them.
Of course. But say you're flying a VOR (not VOR/DME) approach for which the MAP is the runway threshold, defined via timing from an off-field VOR. Is it legal to determine the MAP by measuring the distance from the VOR using a plotter on a sectional or enroute chart and identify it in flight using DME? I don't have a reference but I'm pretty sure I was taught that this isn't legal. And if it isn't on an approach, why should it be legal in a route clearance?

I'm still not clear on why you're saying it's not legal to locate the airport via two cross radials, or via a radial and DME. Why do you believe that doesn't meet the requirements of 91.205(d)(2)?
I didn't say that. What's not legal is to accept a clearance direct to the airport without equipment that can provide cross-track and fix passage information, i.e., approved RNAV gear. Nothing wrong with getting a clearance via a radial to a radial-radial fix (or with VOR and DME to a radial/DME fix). You just have to make the clearance match the equipment you have.

Of course. But say you're flying a VOR (not VOR/DME) approach for which the MAP is the runway threshold, defined via timing from an off-field VOR. Is it legal to determine the MAP by measuring the distance from the VOR using a plotter on a sectional or enroute chart and identify it in flight using DME?
No. 91.175 requires that you perform the approach according to the published approach procedure. If they don't put a DME fix at the MAP (that distance inside the D), you cannot legally use DME to determine arrival at the MAP. The big issue is that everything on the IAP chart is surveyed and flight checked for accuracy, so if you make up your own DME fix by measuring with a plotter, you have no way of knowing a) that the measurement is sufficiently accurate, or b) that the DME signal is reliable and sufficiently accurate at that location and altitude.

That's not saying you can't use DME for "situational awareness" the same way you'd have your GPS running on an NDB approach without GPS overlay, but you'd better have the timer running on that VOR approach on your checkride just like you need that ADF tuned up and the needle pointing in the right place on an NDB approach regardless of what you have in the GPS.

Last edited:
No. 91.175 requires that you perform the approach according to the published approach procedure. If they don't put a DME fix at the MAP (that distance inside the D), you cannot legally use DME to determine arrival at the MAP. The big issue is that everything on the IAP chart is surveyed and flight checked for accuracy, so if you make up your own DME fix by measuring with a plotter, you have no way of knowing a) that the measurement is sufficiently accurate, or b) that the DME signal is reliable and sufficiently accurate at that location and altitude.

That's not saying you can't use DME for "situational awareness" the same way you'd have your GPS running on an NDB approach without GPS overlay, but you'd better have the timer running on that VOR approach on your checkride just like you need that ADF tuned up and the needle pointing in the right place on an NDB approach regardless of what you have in the GPS.
Yes, that's what I understood. So my question then is, can you accept a clearance to 2P2 via direct ESC, direct with only a VOR and DME? (regardless of altitude) If so, how is that different from the VOR approach example? Where do you obtain sufficiently accurate data to identify arrival at 2P2?

Yeah, I did run across that later. So a filed random route is exempt from the requirement for radar separation in 5-5-1?

I'd say. Stephen hasn't exactly disagreed with that.

dtuuri

Back