Fly Coast-to-Coast for FREE

I think I can fly a TX leg on October 14.

Y'all need Marfa (nice lights) to Dallas?

How much does the baton weigh? Would a 150 suffice (EAA club plane for $40 / hr) or would I need to rent a Chickenhawk?

Edit: I wouldn't mind a shorter leg - 400 NM each way gets old real fast in a slow plane.

Ok so is this a done deal now? Should i start contacting adjacent pilots to make plans?
There will be adjustments to the times I am sure, For one, with ABQ not having any rooms, I will have to leave in the morning to get to double eagle, so my planned departure might be set back a few hours. There is only one leg after mine, and i am the first for that day, so it shouldnt be a problem, but we need to edit the schedule a tad..i think...

Bob A

It looks like Dave has been removed from the list any reason why? I was thinking if the weather works out for us I can fly Rob to Dave at CXY and he will fly to CGF. This will help me out and keep Dave in the flight (after all he was the first to volunteered his plane and time). Is that ok with you? We will not lose time because I needed to get fuel in NY or on the way. Yes and old Cessna with 36 gal of fuel.

Bob C

Michael said:
Ok so is this a done deal now? Should i start contacting adjacent pilots to make plans?
There will be adjustments to the times I am sure, For one, with ABQ not having any rooms, I will have to leave in the morning to get to double eagle, so my planned departure might be set back a few hours. There is only one leg after mine, and i am the first for that day, so it shouldnt be a problem, but we need to edit the schedule a tad..i think...

Michael,

Please try to keep it as early as possible, I do have plans for lunch with the AOPA bunch and would like to take Rob.

Joe

Areeda said:
Michael,

Please try to keep it as early as possible, I do have plans for lunch with the AOPA bunch and would like to take Rob.

Joe

what time would work best for you to leave Havasu?

Just tell me, Michael, what time (in Pacific time to make it easier) I should meet ya at KSJN, and I'll be there. Based, of course, on what Joe tells ya.

SkyHog said:
Just tell me, Michael, what time (in Pacific time to make it easier) I should meet ya at KSJN, and I'll be there. Based, of course, on what Joe tells ya.

ACK...I think we were talking about this weeks westbound trip. But i will keep you informed of the Eastboung leg.

Michael said:
ACK...I think we were talking about this weeks westbound trip. But i will keep you informed of the Eastboung leg.
Yes, I'm talking about the westbound flight.

Michael,

The original schedule of me leaving HII at 1000 MST is perfect but just do the best you can, I'll deal with it.

If we end up with a gnome for the eastbound trip. I'll leave it at the counter with your name on it Thursday afternoon

Joe

Last edited:
Dave Taylor's airplane is "seriously broken." I am not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good. He says that it will take a "miracle" for it to be ready in time.

Fortunately, TomCat is offering to take a Texas leg. He is willing to do whatever it takes, but has politely requested a shorter leg.

If Don Jones is willing to make a triangle, we can patch this up with the pieces that we have. If Don could pick up the lawn gnome in Albuquerque and drop it off in Midland, Texas, it would shorten TomCat's leg by many (220?) miles.

We may get a passenger yet for the Eastbound leg. Volunteer?

Dave G., Are you willing to take Rob! from CXY to CGF on Friday, October 6 at 2 pm?

Michael Driggs, please contact the other pilots.

October 6 (Friday)
1. KCDW to KCGF....Bob Ciotti (Possible stop to see or transfer to Dave G. at CXY)
2. KCGF to 9D9.....Todd Kooser
3. 9D9 to KPNT...Ed Frederick
4. KPNT to KHYS....Bob A.

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KHYS to KFNL...Eric Jensen
6. KFNL to KAEG...Jon (Mooney252)

October 8 (Sunday)
7. KAEG to KHII...Michael Diggs (set up any time you want with Joe)
8. KHII to KLGB...Areeda (Joe)

October 12 (Thursday)
9. KEMT (or choice) to KHII...Areeda (Joe)

October 14 (Saturday)
10. KHII to KSNJ...Michael Diggs (4 am?)
11. KSNJ to KAEG...SkyHog (Nick) (6 am?)
12. KAEG to KMAF?...Don Jones
13. KMAF to KADS...TomCat
14. KADS to KPBF....? Darrell says he is doubtful
(Would anyone be interested in half of this leg?)
(Spike, would you take this leg if it was early on Sunday, October 15?)

October 15 (Sunday)
16. KPBF to Tune...Kevin
17. Tune to 9A1....Bill J.
18. 9A1 to KLYH...Lance Flynn
19. KLYH to KCDW...Jim Gratton (Saratoga driver)

Careless?.....Never!
Thrill-seeking?....Absolutely!
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

OK - I forgot to mention this.

Anyone coming to/leaving from Albuquerque.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read the TFR for the balloon fiesta. Its easy to avoid, but a bust really messes things up on the ground for the Balloon Meiser.

It is not effective 24 hours, so it may not be an issue, but PLEASE! I don't want to see anyone bust a TFR!

Due to work obligations and my daughter coming down with West Nile Fever, I'm not monitoring this thread as much. If somebody wants the originals of the spreadsheet and contact sheet to keep them up to date, let me know via email (troy @ whistman.com) and I'll send them to you.

Nick,
Are you interested in the Mission Control duty?
ApacheBob

Troy Whistman said:
Due to work obligations and my daughter coming down with West Nile Fever, I'm not monitoring this thread as much. If somebody wants the originals of the spreadsheet and contact sheet to keep them up to date, let me know via email (troy @ whistman.com) and I'll send them to you.

I am sorry to hear that and I hope she will get well soon.

Troy Whistman said:

OOo In our thoughts and prayers! Hope she gets well soon.

Missa

rmciottijr said:
Bob A

It looks like Dave has been removed from the list any reason why? I was thinking if the weather works out for us I can fly Rob to Dave at CXY and he will fly to CGF. This will help me out and keep Dave in the flight (after all he was the first to volunteered his plane and time). Is that ok with you? We will not lose time because I needed to get fuel in NY or on the way. Yes and old Cessna with 36 gal of fuel.

Bob C

I think he was moved from the out to the return leg when I volenteered but then the return route shifted more southern do he got cut on it too. Sorry all my fault and I had to drop out!

Missa

Missa,

Yes he was pulled from the return leg but that ok he is going to take the leg from KCXY to KCGF. I will still be on the flight just not my plane. All is good now we need the weather to clear up.

Bob A. what are we going to do if the weather does not change?

Bob

I'll take over. I have no life :D If you wanna send me the file, Troy, I'll update it.

Guys I think that I'm out.
I'm a little worried about the weather situation, and I REALLY cannot afford to get stuck somewhere or be late into work on Monday.
This is a pretty busy week/weekend for me, and I just don't want to risk getting stuck in weather or the cost of an expensive last minute plane fare.

I'm going to keep looking at the weather/airfares and I'll keep everybody posted.
While I won't smell bad, nobody wants to have to cart me around if I'm stressed about making a flight/back to work.

I'm really really sorry, and I hope that I'm not ruining anybody's lives or weekends, I really really wanted to meet everybody too!

infotango said:
Guys I think that I'm out.
I'm a little worried about the weather situation, and I REALLY cannot afford to get stuck somewhere or be late into work on Monday.
This is a pretty busy week/weekend for me, and I just don't want to risk getting stuck in weather or the cost of an expensive last minute plane fare.

I'm going to keep looking at the weather/airfares and I'll keep everybody posted.
While I won't smell bad, nobody wants to have to cart me around if I'm stressed about making a flight/back to work.

I'm really really sorry, and I hope that I'm not ruining anybody's lives or weekends, I really really wanted to meet everybody too!

Ok Rob, but you have to meet the plane with a "mini Rob!" garden nome to start the trip off!

Missa

I wish I wasn't broke, I'd love to ride from NY to CA.

If I weren't broke, I'd fly up for sure.

Are we serriously going to be spending hundreds of dollars each person to fly a garden gnome around the country?

Michael said:
Are we serriously going to be spending hundreds of dollars each person to fly a garden gnome around the country?

Can you think of a better excuse to go fly?

Missa said:
Can you think of a better excuse to go fly?

Yes, I can. Finishing up my Instrument ticket. Taking my wife and 2 kids to Stephenville for some BBQ.

So ... what's with the eastbound route? Gnome or baton?

Michael said:

I agree with this sentiment.

May I suggest we look for someone with a reason to make the trip and the time to do it?

And while I don't need a very good reason to go flying I can come up with better ones than free transportation for the Travelocity Gnome. Let me go see if there's an Angel Flight to Havesu.

Joe

Areeda said:

May I suggest we look for someone with a reason to make the trip and the time to do it?

And while I don't need a very good reason to go flying I can come up with better ones than free transportation for the Travelocity Gnome. Let me go see if there's an Angel Flight to Havesu.

Joe

Agreed.

I was fine, delighted to help haul someone back to NY, out from NY, whatever. But I have to agree that hauling just a garden gnome around smacks of "wasting 100LL" to me. If we have someone who wants to go, I'm all over it. I don't even particularly care about the reason behind it. But... if we are down to just hauling a gnome to CA and back, I'd rather take a pass.

So... Do we have a live passenger at this point or not?

Jim G

Ok I have a friend who is a retired school Teacher in Montgomery County PA, ( Just outside Philly) He would love to fly and welcome the adventure. He is not a pilot or POA member if that matters? I will call him tonight and see if he is up for it. I'll report back tonight or tomrrow. Sorry Missa I just don't think the garden Nome cuts it.

Once I leave for class tomorrow morning I'm not going to get a chance to check this thread before my scheduled departure. It would help to know tonight if this is going to happen or not.

To throw in my two cents... I don't want to break the chain if people want to go, but I could definitely use nearly 5 hours of flying time more productively than carting around a gnome.

Areeda said:

Joe

Agree #2

It sounded like fun but an awful tight time frame for coast-to-coast GA. A little slack would give it a better chance and be less chance of someone 'pushing it'.

Just starting out and letting it happen would be quite an adventure if someone had the time.

AdamZ said:
Ok I have a friend who is a retired school Teacher in Montgomery County PA, ( Just outside Philly) He would love to fly and welcome the adventure. He is not a pilot or POA member if that matters? I will call him tonight and see if he is up for it. I'll report back tonight or tomrrow. Sorry Missa I just don't think the garden Nome cuts it.

I have asked Rob! to reconsider. I have offered to pay his planeticket on the red-eye from LA.

This whole thing is kind of an adventure. We have a week to find a volunteer from LA.

I hope that Rob! will get back on board or that Adam's school teacher friend will step up (I have room for both).

I wish that I had an answer for Todd. But I don't.

There is still hope. I went out and bought AvGas at Monroe, Wisconsin for $3 per gallon. I am ready. I also bought a couple Wisconsin souvenirs for Rob! to lug to LA (cheese and a brewery cap).:blueplane:

ApacheBob

I'm standing at the ready. If I don't get a call from Bob C. I'll come home before heading to the airport to see what's up.

This post by Rob! makes me think he's out for good, though.

I'm out for this Sunday.

Got a plane, permission from the boss, a bunch of pilots going to lunch at the best aiprot restaurant in CA and a tour of a museum with lots of warbirds.

I hope this works out. I'll try to help out if it happens some other weekend.

Joe

Well, the weather here look like it is going to be crappy. I will hang in until the last minute but it is not looking good. If the weather is bad and Adam is free could he do the leg? We will see what happens. If it does not happen maybe we could try it this winter better chance of Nice weather.

Bob

Three problems with that scenario Bob:

1. Not available
2. No plane available even if I were
3. No money available even if I and plane were

Sigh as Bruce would say

Perhaps Adam's school-teacher friend will come through and take Rob's! place.

The weather here improved dramatically from yesterday. Hang on everybody, we might still have a go.:target:

When the going gets tough, the tough go flying.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

grattonja said:
So... Do we have a live passenger at this point or not?

I'm glad others have chimed up. This is going to cost me ~$500 in rentals, and if that is to meet a fellow PoA'er and help him fufill his(her) dreams, then that is priceless. I think it is a bit much, however, to fly the gnome around the country. Especially when those resources can all help us get to more flyins to meet and have fun.

My vote is for us to save our resources for when we can make a real GA xc with a real live PoA'er.

I was excited, though. We scratched the surface with Henning, got a little more planning with Michael, and now an almost go with Rob.

And Apache Bob, my hat is off to you for organizing this, you did a flat out great job, BZ! And to Rob, it be cool.

AdamZ said:

I guess I mistook the point of the trip. I thought it was just a relay trip coast to coast. For a relay trip really matter if it's a person or a baton going coast to coast....

Missa

Let's wait until 10 am Eastern to throw in the towel. Maybe Adam's buddy will come through.:blueplane:

If the baton must be a person, that is fine. But the Eastbound run may still get a volunteer. Talk of scrubbing the effort is contagious.

Hold off for a couple hours, if you would.

Any word from you friend, Adam?
ApacheBob
ApacheBob

Back