Fly Coast-to-Coast for FREE

Details about my leg:

We'll be flying a Cessna 172, tail number N53491. Ground speed is about 100kts. We won't be going direct, seeing as how that would put us way out over the lake and in Canadian airspace, so the route will look more like KCGF SKY KBTL. The AOPA RTFP puts it at 1.75 hrs, plus your .5 ground time gives 2.25 hrs. That also puts distance at an even 180nm.

I am not instrument rated.

Bob Ciotti, look for a PM with my cell number and a few details in it.

rmciottijr said:
Tony,

Good Job on the spreadsheet. FYI I am not IFR rated, I am thinking about 118 TAS.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Updated!

P.S.--Why does everybody call me Tony!? I'm serious--it happens all the time.

bluesky74656 said:
Details about my leg:

We'll be flying a Cessna 172, tail number N53491. Ground speed is about 100kts. We won't be going direct, seeing as how that would put us way out over the lake and in Canadian airspace, so the route will look more like KCGF SKY KBTL. The AOPA RTFP puts it at 1.75 hrs, plus your .5 ground time gives 2.25 hrs. That also puts distance at an even 180nm.

I am not instrument rated.

Bob Ciotti, look for a PM with my cell number and a few details in it.

If the pilots will PM me their contact info (all ways to reach you on the day of the flight), I'll compose it into a document and email you private the link to the document so we all have how to reach one another.

I just went of the last post lol. So what it your real name or should we not say, is the Mob looking for you?

I'll be flying a Cessna 172, N7773U. I will use flight following so maybe you can track us. I have a rough estimate today and the flight should take 1 hr 40 minutes.

Pilots flying this mission, bookmark this link:

http://www.whistman.com/files/POAHandOff.pdf

Then, PM me with a request for the password you'll need to open the file.

EDIT: The password is on this file only because it has the pilot's private cell numbers. We don't want spammers to get them, right?!

I'll keep the link shown above current with all edits and changes. PLEASE SEND ME via the instructions on the first page of the document all of the requested information for your leg. You'll know what I mean when you see the document.

We really need to get the departure times from the first leg pilots of each day so we can start getting ideas of takeoff/arrival times.

Last edited:
Just found out that I have to work this upcoming Saturday.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

I haven't seen anybody else voice any "concerns" about this, so I'll raise a few I have:

1) Aggressive schedule. Some days have 5, 6, 7 legs and LONG days with up to 15 or 16 hours of flying. Looks like quite a few of us are renting. If there are weather or mechanical delays, things could get out of hand in a hurry and Rob could get stuck. Is the passenger prepared to buy his own ticket home via commercial air travel if it comes to that? I think he should be...

2) Liability. I know this is just for "fun", but shouldn't we consider a signed release from liability similar to the ones Angel Flight uses for their passengers? I don't want to get sued, and I'm sure POA management or other pilots volunteering for this "fun" flight don't, either.

Just thinking out loud!! Not trying to spoil the fun...

I'm sorry but I cannot take time off for a week. I can, however, take friday off, but I don't want to blow off too much school and work! January is another story....

Let me take a look at one way airline ticket prices, both from the Long Beach and other points along the route. Hopefully this won't be problem, weather looks to be good for much of the trip, excepting some crud in CO on Saturday/Sunday.

infotango said:
I'm sorry but I cannot take time off for a week. I can, however, take friday off, but I don't want to blow off too much school and work! January is another story....

Let me take a look at one way airline ticket prices, both from the Long Beach and other points along the route. Hopefully this won't be problem, weather looks to be good for much of the trip, excepting some crud in CO on Saturday/Sunday.

So are you just going to try to do the Westbound portion of the trip?

If we don't have a westbound need for Rob!, maybe we can make a "baton" to pass. Like Rob!'s luggage or something.

Something that would actually need to be successful to make it!

Fly, meet ointment.

After figuring out that, although both remaining Bonanzas are booked (sniff...), the Cardinal RG was showing available (assuming it is actually back from new engine).

But then I realized (d'oh!): Tommy and I will be in Austin on the 14th, for Texas-Baylor football game.

If it slips to the 15th, I may be able to help...

So far I thnk I'm open for Sat. 10/7. Sunday is standing family day so probably not a go. I'm VFR only. (Haven't checked on airplane status yet, either)

I suggest my handoff from Bill be Hickory, NC (KHKY). Going into Charlotte is too big a hastle. Or Bill could come to my home airport 9A1 and save me the stop.

OK here are my Stats,
Plane Piper Warrior
I'm Not IR
Plan at 110 Kn
Contact # 717-554-8247

Dave G

P.S. I really Hope We Can Pull this OFF, and Bob if your partner cant go you can stop at CXY and i'll ride along,if you want some company

Plan E (one step forward) We need a Kansas pilot, a Dallas-Texas or Arkansas or Mississippi pilot and a Virginia pilot

October 6 (Friday)
1. KCDW to KCGF....Bob Ciotti
2. KCGF to KBTL.....Todd Kooser
3. KBTL to KPNT...Ed Frederick
4. KPNT to KUUV....Bob A.

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KUUV to KPTS...Dean
6. KPTS to KHYS...?
7. KHYS to KPUB...Eric Jensen (With Greg K as pax)
8. KPUB to KGUP...Jon (Mooney252)

October 8 (Sunday)
9. KGUP to KHII...Michael Diggs
10. KHII to KLGB...Areeda (Joe)?

October 13(Friday)
11. KLGB to KHII...Areeda (Joe)?
12. KHII to KSNJ...Michael Diggs?
13. KSNJ to KABQ...Don Jones?

October 14(Saturday)
14. KABQ to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...SkyHog
15. 5T6 to KMRF...Dave T.
16. KMRF to KADS...Troy Whistman
17. KADS to KPBF....?

October 15 (Sunday)
18. KPBF to KCHA...Kevin
19. KCHA to 9A1....Bill J.
20. 9A1 to KLYH...Lance Flynn
21. KLYH to KHGR...?
22. KHGR to KLNS...Dave G.
23. KLNS to KCDW...Jim G. (Saratoga driver)

Notes:
Liability is always a concern. If this activity makes you uncomfortable, please do not participate.

Bob C., if you can, leave CDW at or before 1 pm. It would be optimum if you could meet Todd at CGF at 3:30 pm. Rob! will need sleep at UUV.

Rudy's dropping out is a major problem. Diana's Citabria is still in the shop. Dogman is out. We need a Kansas Pilot! Dean, would you be willing to go all the way to Hays?

Michael, would you want to travel all the way to ABQ on Sunday to pick up Rob!?
If not....Jon, if Eric meets you at PUB at 12pm on Saturday, could you deliver Rob! to GUP?
Eric, would you be willing to pick up Rob! at HYS and cut over to PUB to meet Jon?

Areeda (Joe), any chance of departing on Friday, Oct. 13 at 0900?
Michael, any chance of departing on Friday, Oct. 13?
Don Jones, any chance of departing on Friday, Oct. 13?

Troy (don't call me Tony) makes a good point about Oct. 14 being too long. If Joe, Michael and Don can give us a head start, things should work out. I hope that we can keep the extra legs after ABQ. They look cool on Joe's map.

Bill J., is 9A1 airport okay with you?

If a Virginia pilot steps forward, we will not need Dave G. or Jim G. to go all the way to Lynchburg. I have not heard anything from Dave G. about picking up Missa's old leg.

My Apache is a 1957 model. It is a PA-23-160. It cruises at about 120 knots at economy cruise, which I have been using since AvGas went over $2 per gallon. Yes, it is for sale. I have an instrument rating.

Spike, when did football become more important than flying? Where are your priorities?:)
ApacheBob

Well, I definately can't do anything on Friday, consider me a weekend only flier, and even then a maybe. The 14th might work provided I am not on an Oryx hunt with the grandson. Also, Nick and I should trade legs. Nick can go to St John and I can do the ABQ to 5T6 leg.
Don

Don Jones said:
Well, I definately can't do anything on Friday, consider me a weekend only flier, and even then a maybe. The 14th might work provided I am not on an Oryx hunt with the grandson. Also, Nick and I should trade legs. Nick can go to St John and I can do the ABQ to 5T6 leg.
Don

Hmm...we could possibly switch. Makes more sense than for you to do a triangle route. And I've never been to St Johns before.

SkyHog said:
Hmm...we could possibly switch. Makes more sense than for you to do a triangle route. And I've never been to St Johns before.

Besides, if I hand him off to you in ABQ then we play follow the leader southbound almost to 5T6.
Don

ApacheBob said:

Sure and sure. make it double eagle though as ill need fuel and ABQ is spendy.

Michael said:
Sure and sure. make it double eagle though as ill need fuel and ABQ is spendy.

Uh oh - Friday the 13th... :D

For everyone's info - Double Eagle is KAEG (my home drome). I'd offer to help, but I'll still be broke as hell on Friday (sorry Michael).

But - I am officially in on the 14th. I will have money and be well (I'm almost well now).

ApacheBob said:

Fridays I have lessons 0730-1000, 1000-1200, 1200-1500. Now the 0730 will be ready for a long cross country and probably won't mind if it's twice as long as necessary if I pay for 1/2 the plane.

If it's Friday the 13th we'll have to leave from EMT at about 0800 and I have to get 3 students to agree. I'll let you know.

Joe

Nick,
Could you switch with Don and go from SJN to double eagle on Friday?
ApacheBob

Lol ApacheBob - I thought my post a few up from yours pretty much said I would be willing to do it :D

I'm cool with whatever, tell me where to fly, and I'll do it.

You all can flight plan me and the 'toga for 140 knots. If no one else can do it, we CAN pick up at Lynchburg and take to NJ. It's a lot of flying (and a lot of money) for us, but we can do it. Both my wife and I are IR and can split the trip into legs, so the time aloft isn't a fatigue concern. And with 102 gallons useable, longer legs don't make me sweat. Flight planning VA to NJ with winds right now says the trip is only about 2.5 hours, not a terrible leg for us.

Lance F said:
I suggest my handoff from Bill be Hickory, NC (KHKY). Going into Charlotte is too big a hastle. Or Bill could come to my home airport 9A1 and save me the stop.

I can do that no sweat!

We are short this week at work (first week of hunting season) so I won't be able to cut out of here on Friday till late after noon. I'm 20 minutes to the hangar, and like 10 minutes to BTL in the air. The LATEST I would be down there is 6 ET. I might be able to cut out of here earlier, but probably not real early. Earliest I would say I could get down there is 4pm.

Edit: I checked out the spread sheet. Good thing I'm night current. :)

Oh, and TROY, I will be in N2212R P28A/G

Further Edit. BTL hits you for a $10 landing fee. My home base (9D9) is 22nm north, and has much cheaper fuel than BTL $3.67 vs $4.65. And if you wanted you could run into town with my truck for some eats while I take off with Rob! towards Illinois.

Last edited:
Areeda said:
If it's Friday the 13th we'll have to leave from EMT at about 0800 and I have to get 3 students to agree. I'll let you know.

Joe

Well I talked with 2 of the 3 Friday regulars and I don't think it's going to work. I was out all last week and don't think it's fair to disrupt their training so I can go play.

If we can't find someone else to leave at 0900 10/13 I can either leave say 1500 on Thursday and our passenger can get a night in Havesu or leave about 1600 on Friday.

Anybody interested in the LGB->HII leg Friday 10/13 at 0900?

Sorry,

Joe

I seem to recall Jeff Oslik is based in Fullerton, just down the street from LGB. Maybe either give him a shout or if whoever is coming wants to stay overnight in Havasu, we have a couch available.

Areeda said:
leave about 1600 on Friday.
Joe

I was hoping NOT to make the desert mountain run in the afternoon....Its still pretty hot and bumpy out here. 107 yesterday. Makes for not much fun flying. :no:

Michael said:
I was hoping NOT to make the desert mountain run in the afternoon....Its still pretty hot and bumpy out here. 107 yesterday. Makes for not much fun flying. :no:

I'm not really looking forward to a long cross country after a full day's teaching either.

Do we have a passenger for the eastbound trip yet? What do they think about starting Thursday afternoon?

Joe

edit: I just PMed Jeff.

Last edited:
The suggestion to meet Eric at Pueblo on 10/7 noonish works well for me, and I can drop Rob! off pretty much anywhere in southern Colorado or northern/central New Mexico (incl Gallup), whatever people decide.

Jon

N2212R said:
We are short this week at work (first week of hunting season) so I won't be able to cut out of here on Friday till late after noon. I'm 20 minutes to the hangar, and like 10 minutes to BTL in the air. The LATEST I would be down there is 6 ET. I might be able to cut out of here earlier, but probably not real early. Earliest I would say I could get down there is 4pm.

Edit: I checked out the spread sheet. Good thing I'm night current. :)

Oh, and TROY, I will be in N2212R P28A/G

Further Edit. BTL hits you for a $10 landing fee. My home base (9D9) is 22nm north, and has much cheaper fuel than BTL $3.67 vs $4.65. And if you wanted you could run into town with my truck for some eats while I take off with Rob! towards Illinois.
I have no problem coming up to 9D9. I can't get to the airport on this end before 3:30, which is when I think they have Rob! coming in as it is. I think a good estimate of my arrival at 9D9 would be about 5:45 or 6:00.

What time zone are you in? I'm not sure exactly where the time change comes into affect, but I'm working in Eastern.

Ed, I'm looking forward to claiming your home base.

We are Eastern Time Zone here. There are only 3 or 4 Michigan counties that are Central Time Zone, and they are all in the west end of the U.P. Your arrival time should work out perfect.

OK - so do we have times and stuff going yet? This is getting confusing a bit. I still say - tell me where and when and I'll be there, as long as its on the 14th (possibly the 13th also).

Jeff Oslick,
Would you be willing to take the baton from Southern California to Lake Havasu on Friday, Oct. 13?
ApacheBob

SkyHog said:
OK - so do we have times and stuff going yet? This is getting confusing a bit. I still say - tell me where and when and I'll be there, as long as its on the 14th (possibly the 13th also).

Yeah I have times going in the spreadsheet and the pilot contact / handoff document.

ApacheBob said:
Plan E (one step forward) We need a Kansas pilot, a Dallas-Texas or Arkansas or Mississippi pilot and a Virginia pilot

October 6 (Friday)
1. KCDW to KCGF....Bob Ciotti
2. KCGF to KBTL.....Todd Kooser
3. KBTL to KPNT...Ed Frederick
4. KPNT to KUUV....Bob A.

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KUUV to KPTS...Dean
6. KPTS to KHYS...?
7. KHYS to KPUB...Eric Jensen (With Greg K as pax)
8. KPUB to KGUP...Jon (Mooney252)

October 8 (Sunday)
9. KGUP to KHII...Michael Diggs
10. KHII to KLGB...Areeda (Joe)?

October 13(Friday)
11. KLGB to KHII...Areeda (Joe)?
12. KHII to KSNJ...Michael Diggs?
13. KSNJ to KABQ...Don Jones?

October 14(Saturday)
14. KABQ to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...SkyHog
15. 5T6 to KMRF...Dave T.
16. KMRF to KADS...Troy Whistman
17. KADS to KPBF....?

October 15 (Sunday)
18. KPBF to KCHA...Kevin
19. KCHA to 9A1....Bill J.
20. 9A1 to KLYH...Lance Flynn
21. KLYH to KHGR...?
22. KHGR to KLNS...Dave G.
23. KLNS to KCDW...Jim G. (Saratoga driver)

Notes:
Liability is always a concern. If this activity makes you uncomfortable, please do not participate.

Bob C., if you can, leave CDW at or before 1 pm. It would be optimum if you could meet Todd at CGF at 3:30 pm. Rob! will need sleep at UUV.

Rudy's dropping out is a major problem. Diana's Citabria is still in the shop. Dogman is out. We need a Kansas Pilot! Dean, would you be willing to go all the way to Hays?

If not....Jon, if Eric meets you at PUB at 12pm on Saturday, could you deliver Rob! to GUP?
Eric, would you be willing to pick up Rob! at HYS and cut over to PUB to meet Jon?

Troy (don't call me Tony) makes a good point about Oct. 14 being too long. If Joe, Michael and Don can give us a head start, things should work out. I hope that we can keep the extra legs after ABQ. They look cool on Joe's map.

Bill J., is 9A1 airport okay with you?

If a Virginia pilot steps forward, we will not need Dave G. or Jim G. to go all the way to Lynchburg. I have not heard anything from Dave G. about picking up Missa's old leg.

My Apache is a 1957 model. It is a PA-23-160. It cruises at about 120 knots at economy cruise, which I have been using since AvGas went over $2 per gallon. Yes, it is for sale. I have an instrument rating.

Spike, when did football become more important than flying? Where are your priorities?:)
ApacheBob

Sorry, I can't do Hays, KS, I have plans Saturday and I will be pushing it to make them as it is.

Back