Fly Coast-to-Coast for FREE

Areeda said:
Anybody interested in the LGB->HII leg Friday 10/13 at 0900?

Hi Joe,

Got your note. Unfortuntately, I can't do weekdays. That whole job and paycheck thing just keeps getting in the way of my flying schedule!

Jeff

Hopefully AvGas prices will continue to fall.

October 6 (Friday)
1. KCDW to KCGF....Bob Ciotti (Possible stop to see Dave G. at CXY)
2. KCGF to 9D9.....Todd Kooser
3. 9D9 to KPNT...Ed Frederick
4. KPNT to KUUV....Bob A.

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KUUV to KPTS...Dean
6. KPTS to KHYS...?
7. KHYS to KPUB...Eric Jensen (Or FNL if KPUB not okay)
8. KPUB to KAEG...Jon (Mooney252)

October 8 (Sunday)
9. KAEG to KHII...Michael Diggs
10. KHII to KLGB...Areeda (Joe)?

October 12 (Thursday)
11. KEMT to KHII...Areeda (Joe)?

October 13(Friday)
12. KHII to KSNJ...Michael Diggs?
13. KSNJ to KAEG...SkyHog (Nick)

October 14(Saturday)
14. KAEG to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...Don Jones
15. 5T6 to KMRF...Dave T.
16. KMRF to KADS...Troy Whistman
17. KADS to KPBF....?

October 15 (Sunday)
18. KPBF to KCHA...Kevin
19. KCHA to 9A1....Bill J.
20. 9A1 to KLYH...Lance Flynn
21. KLYH to KCDW...Jim Gratton (Saratoga driver)

We basically have one missing link in each leg. Westbound, it's Pittsburg, Kansas to Hays, Kansas. Eastbound, it's KADS to Pine Bluff, Arkansas.

If you know anyone near those legs, please try and recruit. :blueplane:
ApacheBob

wait - how did my leg switch from Saturday the 14th to Friday the 13th? I missed that.

May be a problem, as I'll be in school until at least 3. However, if we keep it as originally planned, as a Saturday thing, it would solve a lot of problems:

Joe would be cool to go (I believe). Michael wouldn't have to wait until late afternoon to fly across the Arizona hotness. I would be clear all day to do this.

If we got a REALLY early start, we could easily do the entire friday/saturday flight on Saturday. Figure we start at like 7am....

7am - leave KEMT. Get to KHII around 9am (10am mountain).
10:30(mountain) - leave KHII. Get to KSJN at around noon.
12:30 - leave KSJN, get to KAEG at around 2.
2:30 - leave KAEG - get to 5T6 at around 4.

After that, I don't know the times, but that leaves about 4 to 5 hours of daylight left. Should be able to get to at least Marfa, if not even to Dallas.

Adds one, maybe 2 legs to Sunday.

Just an idea, but if I must do it on Friday, it's gonna be late (and I can't offer room to anyone that comes in, unless they don't mind a loveseat in the ghetto).

Give it a thought guys. Also - if we get an earlier start, we add even more available time. 5 or 6 am departure would be nice.

ApacheBob said:
October 14(Saturday)
14. KAEG to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...Don Jones
15. 5T6 to KMRF...Dave T.
16. KMRF to KADS...Troy Whistman
17. KADS to KPBF....?

We basically have one missing link in each leg.

Make that two, for the 14th. I have to ditch. Sorry.

These clouds were not in the forecast....

Problem 1: Rob!'s ticket back from LA will cost. I propose kicking in $20 per Westbound pilot to cover that. Thoughts?

Problem 2: We still need a Kansas-area pilot. I have asked Mark Bell from Jefferson City, Mo. via e-mail. If worst came to worst, I could run Rob! out to Hays, Kansas myself on Friday night. (Not my first choice.) I would be willing to meet Mark in Jefferson City if he would take Rob! to Hays.

Problem 3: The Texas portion of the Eastbound run is starting to get shaky. We could try to go back up through Colorado and ask for Greg K to do an eastbound leg from PUB to Hays?
But the eastbound run is still a week away and the Westbound run is this Friday.

Nick, If we don't patch up the Texas legs, the Friday-Saturday issue may not be important. But if we do, it would probably help to get as far east as possible on Friday.

Can anyone help Rob! with a cheap ticket from LA to NYC?:blueplane:
ApacheBob

ApacheBob said:
These clouds were not in the forecast....

Problem 1: Rob!'s ticket back from LA will cost. I propose kicking in $20 per Westbound pilot to cover that. Thoughts?

:blueplane:
ApacheBob
That is so kind! But I couldn't possibly accept that. You guys are giving more than enough just flying me....

Might it be eaiser to push this back a few weeks?

Check jet blue, LGB to Kennedy was 99 bucks. Nice color tv to watch, just hope the tail doesnt fall off.

Michael said:
Check jet blue, LGB to Kennedy was 99 bucks. Nice color tv to watch, just hope the tail doesnt fall off.

I think you have to book that fare farther in advance. The best Jet Blue flight LGB-JFK on Monday 10/9 I could find is $269 for the red eye.

I did find an AirTran red-eye for $202 LAX-LGA.

Joe

I wish things were synched a little different. I'm flying from Atlanta area to KCDW this Sunday afternoon and could do a loong leg.

This may have been already brought up, I didn't read all 100+ posts.
Might be a good idea for each "drop off" pilot to exchange cell phone numbers with each "pick up" pilot, so IF there is some kind of delay, it can be passed along and somebody isn't sitting at an airport for 4 hours waiting.

Wish I could have joined in!!

Mark b

Mark,
There is no time like the present! Can you fly a leg on Saturday, October 7? The current flight plan includes Pittsburg, Kansas to Hays, Kansas at 0900 am.
We would really, really appreciate it if you could pitch in.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I wish I could Bob, but I am layed up with a knee injury. Grounded for a few weeks.

Well I hate to put a damper on this, but I have to bail out on Saturday. I now have to work. Sorry!!!!!!

Sunday the 15th works for me. I'll schedule the plane right now. The only potential caveat is that I'm VFR only. If the wx goes bad, I'm grounded unless Rob is IFR?
Alright, I have the plane from 13:00 to 18:00 cst on the 15th.
Bill, due to the availability of the plane, would a pick up in Nashville be out of the question?

Last edited:
Hey everyone I was thinking at the end of this could we get a total cost of trip. I know it might make us say wow we were crazy but it would be cool to see and we all get to meet Rob.

Bob

Ok ApacheBob - here's the idea (ran it past Areeda, he's ok with it).

Eliminate Thursday and Friday, move those legs to Saturday after an early departure. All but Marfa to Dallas would probably fit on Saturday, so then Sunday would be one leg longer, and all is good.

Doable? Michael, can you do Saturday instead?

I think Skyhog's got an idea.

Can we let some of the legs slide into Monday since we can't let it start only one day earlier on friday?

Joe

the other thing too - maybe Spike can help on Sunday. He'll be in Abilene on Saturday, but Sunday??

SkyHog said:
Doable? Michael, can you do Saturday instead?

I lost track of when and where i am going. I was just going to sit back and wait for the dust to settel before learning where and what to do.
which saturday are you referring to? the eastbound? next week?

Michael said:
I lost track of when and where i am going. I was just going to sit back and wait for the dust to settel before learning where and what to do.
which saturday are you referring to? the eastbound? next week?
Yeah - the 14th.

kevin47881 said:
Alright, I have the plane from 13:00 to 18:00 cst on the 15th.
Bill, due to the availability of the plane, would a pick up in Nashville be out of the question?

I have the Skyhawk blocked for the entire day Sunday the 15th, so other than extra $$$'s, it's fine. (but hey, I'd spend it flying anyway:D :D :D )

kevin47881 said:

Oh, we talking BNA, Tune, Cornelia, or Smyrna?

October 6 (Friday)
1. KCDW to KCGF....Bob Ciotti (Possible stop to see Dave G. at CXY)
2. KCGF to 9D9.....Todd Kooser
3. 9D9 to KPNT...Ed Frederick
4. KPNT to KHYS....Bob A.

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KHYS to KFNL...Eric Jensen
6. KFNL to KAEG...Jon (Mooney252)

October 8 (Sunday)
7. KAEG to KHII...Michael Diggs
8. KHII to KLGB...Areeda (Joe)

October 14 (Saturday)
9. KEMT to KHII...Areeda (Joe) (2 am?)
10. KHII to KSNJ...Michael Diggs (4 am?)
11. KSNJ to KAEG...SkyHog (Nick) (6 am?)
12. KAEG to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...Don Jones
13. 5T6 to KMRF...Dave T.
14. KMRF to KADS...?
15. KADS to KPBF....Darrell456

October 15 (Sunday)
16. KPBF to KBNA?...Kevin
17. KBNA? to 9A1....Bill J.
18. 9A1 to KLYH...Lance Flynn
19. KLYH to KCDW...Jim Gratton (Saratoga driver)

I really would like it if someone in Iowa or Missouri would meet me halfway to Hays, Kansas. My expected down time after my leg is 2 am+.

Weekends are best for everone to fly.

Lance Flynn and Jim Gratton, would you be able to fly on Monday? I suspect that the California, Arizona and New Mexico pilots will not want to get up at 2 or 4 am.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

4am doesnt bother me any, but unless i am going downhill, I aint making KAEG by 6.

Michael said:
4am doesnt bother me any, but unless i am going downhill, I aint making KAEG by 6.

St. Johns, mang! Its right by Show Low, AZ.

ApacheBob said:
Lance Flynn and Jim Gratton, would you be able to fly on Monday? I suspect that the California, Arizona and New Mexico pilots will not want to get up at 2 or 4 am.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I'm skunked on Monday, 10/16. Actually have to WORK that day! Stupid work, always getting in the way of flying... wanders off, mumbling to self.

Jim G

I'm sorta flexible. I have thursday afternoon after 2200Z and saturday morning until 1800Z both blocked out. Wheels up at 0900Z (2AM PDT) while possible is kind of low on my wish list for proposed times off.

I'm going to be quiet now and like Michael just wait and see how it shakes out.

Joe

Hello, O'Dark thirty.

KSJN (not KSNJ). Sorry.

I will probably stay overnight in Hays if no Iowa pilots stand up.

It is pretty well set. Only one leg open (volunteers)? The KMRF to KADS leg. We need a Dallas pilot to stand up.

We should all get leather jackets to commemorate this event. Nick, you should get the book rights. Joe (since you are near Hollywood), you should get the movie rights. I want John Travolta to play me in the movie.

Rob!, better buy that red-eye ticket right away. If it is non-refundable and you get stuck along the way -- I will buy your ticket. Dean's dropping out is going to save you a couple long legs. I think I will send you along with some Lou Malnati's pizza (Chicago-style, of course).

I wonder if Troy (don't call me Tony), would like to be "Mission Control?" He is in Texas. Everyone could give him (if it is okay with him), their cellular or regular phone numbers). I will e-mail my phone number to the pilots on either end of my leg.:blueplane:

Pray for good weather!
ApacheBob

Missa,

when I saw you posted something I was thinking great she is going to meet me at KUNV but I guess not :(. Oh well I guess I will take the flight across PA.

Bob

In the "seemed like a good idea" department:

Thanks to the balloon festival, there are essentially no hotel rooms available in all of Albuquerque the night of Sat. Oct 7. There are only a handful left in Santa Fe. Unless Nick or one of the ABQ locals has a tip on lodging, I wonder if we want to go back to the original plan of my flying to Gallup (or nearby Grants NM). It will be a good night to catch up on sleep, as there isn't a whole lot to do in either place, but at least he won't be sleeping on the couch at the Double Eagle FBO.

I'm still good for Ft Collins to anywhere south and west to the AZ or UT line...

Jon

rmciottijr said:
Missa,

when I saw you posted something I was thinking great she is going to meet me at KUNV but I guess not :(. Oh well I guess I will take the flight across PA.

Bob

Sorry Man, anyday but the 7th! How cool is an airshow put on for just employees and their families? :yes: I'm not missing that, no way, no how, no sir! :no: Small venue, limited access... too cool to miss in my book.

Missa

Missa said:
Sorry Man, anyday but the 7th! How cool is an airshow put on for just employees and their families? :yes: I'm not missing that, no way, no how, no sir! :no: Small venue, limited access... too cool to miss in my book.

Missa

But it's going to be on the 6th not the 7th humm can you do it?

rmciottijr said:
But it's going to be on the 6th not the 7th humm can you do it?

No, two reasons. 1 - work 2 - club rules state I as a VFR pilot can not fly the planes at night.

Missa

Rob!, Do you want to stay in Gallup or Abuequerque?

Is there a couch at the Double Eagle? Would you have a recommendation at Gallup for lodging?

Jim G., it looks like we are back to Sunday for your leg.

Joe and Michael, if you are willing to go Saturday early, early, early, it will work. If we can find an adventurer to cross the country, that would be a long day. If the baton is a lawn gnome, it should not be a problem. Joe, do you have a lawn gnome who wants a vacation?

Iowa pilots -- where are you? If I could meet someone in Des Moines or anywhere in central Iowa, that would be great. If you meet me and take Rob! to Hays, you will probably be interviewed by Oprah.:)

Ignition...prepare for liftoff!:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Sorry Bob, cant make it work. School, Money and time are all in the way. Very cool though, maybe check with James Dean or Chris Jones.

ApacheBob said:
Joe (since you are near Hollywood), you should get the movie rights. I want John Travolta to play me in the movie.
OK I got a call into his agent. Also I'm on hold for Angelina Jolie's who I think should play me. Hey everybody will be paying attention to the Cirrus not the pilot right?

ApacheBob said:
Joe and Michael, if you are willing to go Saturday early, early, early, it will work. If we can find an adventurer to cross the country, that would be a long day. If the baton is a lawn gnome, it should not be a problem. Joe, do you have a lawn gnome who wants a vacation?

If whoever/whatever flies doesn't mind staying in Lake Havesu I'd prefer to go thursday afternoon.

Actually I saw the perfect gnome in the pilot's shop in Williamsburg VA. Now I wish I'd bought it. I can buy a doll at a toy store for this (no Nick it will not be the blow up kind).

Joe

FlyingPig.jpg

Last edited:
Hey neat, a Skyhog! :D

Jon et all, there is a nice comfortable couch in the FBO at double eagle. Might want to call to see if they mind if its used.

Back