Fly Coast-to-Coast for FREE

I got a call from Adam and he told me the retired school teacher is unable to do the trip. He said he would love to but he has other obligations and is not sure if he would get back in time.

Also the weather is not good here and I would not be able to start the trip (I need to get my IR). I think this is a great idea and well done by Bob A and I think we should look in to doing it again.

Thanks for all your hard work Bob.

Bob

Once upon a time...

So I got an e-mail from the Dalai LLama. I thought he would share the secrets of true enlightenment with me. Instead, he was concerned that the Cubs were going to hire another manager instead of Joe Girardi.:)

Our Westbound adventure is scrubbed. Our Eastbound adventure is iffy.

We have a great group of POA pilots who were ready to make huge sacrifices in a show of solidarity. In my opinion, we are the last of the truly free Americans. With over 3,000 views, it seems to me that hundreds of American pilots tuned in to our quest for the Coast-to-Coast holy grail.

THREE LESSONS LEARNED

1. If we had a passenger, it would have worked (Joe may have decided to drop out when Rob! did). We may have to spoil Rob! or whoever our passenger is in January.

2. We may have to stretch out the number of day. If we limit the daily rides to 4 or 5 hours a day, it may be less stressful for our passenger. We may be better off trying to work around pilots' work schedules (Flying before or after work shifts on Monday through Friday.)

3. POA pilots are great. I can understand not wanting to fly a gnome. In fact, the next gnome I see, I am going to punch him right in the nose. I hate gnomes. Dang little smirking sons-o-guns.

PLANS FOR COAST-TO-COAST II "THE GNOME STRIKES BACK"

Rob!, when do you have off in January? What kind of bribe, I mean inducement, would it take to get you to make this trip? Honestly (sort-of), I can imagine that a series of small airplane flights with a band of rogue pilots could create a certain amount of stress. Especially if it puts you into a notorious party town like Gallup, NM, on a Saturday night during Octoberfest with no room, no bed and a striking resemblance to George Armstrong Custer.

I hope that we can have 20 Westbound pilots next time instead of 8. We should go...New York to Harrisburg to CGF to 9D9 to Mackinac Island to Duluth to MSN to Chicago to Saint Louis to Saint Joe, MO, to Pierre, SD to Denver to Billings to Helena to Seattle with a few other stops in between. Then a set of flights down the West Coast,then LA...ADS...Tune, etc., and then NYC.

But the fact that so many pilots are looking at this thread, tells me that we have to do something.

Someone suggested that we should put more effort into publicity. Maybe get EAA or Flying magazine to sponsor us. I bet that Dramamine would buy our leather jackets in return for some product placement during the CNN interviews.

Who wants a piece of Coast-to-Coast II? If we had Jennifer Lopez or Pamela Anderson as a passenger, none of our pilots would have backed out! Joe, make that call to J-LO, would ya?

Dave and Diana, I am going to help you with your aircraft repairs. Does anyone know how much it costs to ship duct tape?

Thanks, guys!:blueplane:
ApacheBob

WELL BOB WE TRYED, I would be interested in doing #2 ,if it does work out(depending on Wx). Hopefully by then Wx wont be a problem and i'll have my IR by then. Thanks for your effort in this adventure. I'd also like to Thank everyone that was going to take part in this. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN FUN.
Dave G.

I was in Court this morning so couldn't post and asked Bob C to do it for me. My friend would LOVE to have done the trip but had conflicts during the proposed time period, but it is something he would have love to have done.
Apache Bob I'm nominating you for POAer of the month. You had a great idea and ran with it and inspired others. Bravo Zulu to you. ( I will expect you will be at the POA Wings Fly B Q at KLOM in May)

In any event if I may offer a suggestion to your most excellent plan. The main show stoppers seem to be schedual and weather related. With the exception of the students on this board and lazy Arse retired folks like eh hem certain Rotor heads on this board:rolleyes: Most of us are busy working stiffs and time is at a premium. Sooooo perhaps this plan would work better if you set up the coast to coast in the Spring or Summer, Our human baton could be a student such as Rudy or Jason or a teacher or retired rotor head, someone who in the summer can afford to get laid over in Wingdangditch Michigan for a few days. If there is no pressure to get the baton to a certain destination at a certain time, things may work a lot better.

Bob you did an AWESOME job:yes:

Again Bob great job. I am in for #2 and if I have a little more time I can do it anyday.

Bob

ApacheBob said:
Dave and Diana, I am going to help you with your aircraft repairs. Does anyone know how much it costs to ship duct tape?
Gee thanks Bob! Actually, I'm taking duct tape with me tomorrow when I go to help with the rigging, but it will be for me and not for my airplane.

Bob, you are to be commended for your tireless efforts, your enthusiasm and your sense of humor while planning this cross-country adventure. :yes:

I hope I'm in a better position to help next time.

Troy,

Thanks for your contributions to the cause you help keep things in line.

Bob

AdamZ said:
( I will expect you will be at the POA Wings Fly B Q at KLOM in May)

Speaking of which, is the exact date set for that? I'd like to book a club plane and make the trip up from TN.

ApacheBob said:
Who wants a piece of Coast-to-Coast II? If we had Jennifer Lopez or Pamela Anderson as a passenger, none of our pilots would have backed out! Joe, make that call to J-LO, would ya?

In for round II, even if Jenny and Pam can't make it...:D

Bill Jennings said:
Speaking of which, is the exact date set for that? I'd like to book a club plane and make the trip up from TN.

Bill, if you're looking for someone to split costs, let me know. I'd be happy to join you if you're o.k. with the idea.

Thanks to everyone who planned this and was ready to participate, it will be very cool when it happens. I always enjoy reading about other peoples flying adventures whether they are short or long distance...

I would like to nominate Jesse Angell for this trip.. I have read on this forum about some of his past adventures and have really enjoyed them.. He seems to me to be the type of guy that would be up for this..

I would even kick in a few bucks ($10 - $20 ) via paypal to help make it happen. I was thinking if only 50 people put in the $10-$20 it could add up to a nice amount and could help pay for commercial airfare to get him to a starting point and back home.

Good luck..

Jon

Bill Jennings said:

Bill that would be great. Looks like it will be the third Saturday in May. I'll know soon. We will most likely make it the 3rd saturday in May every year now with Rain Date of sunday.

I have a co-worker here in PA who has a new girlfriend in CA. I didn't think of asking him if he would like a free round trip to CA for a week sometime. If he is interested, we may well have our warm body for a round trip weekender. I'll let everyone know if he is on board, then we could start seeing if we can find another time to do this. That would solve the problem of a live "baton" to pass, and it would even be for a good reason.

Good work by everyone in trying to get this done. Next time we'll pull it off.

Jim G

grattonja said:
That would solve the problem of a live "baton" to pass, and it would even be for a good reason.

That would make a difference to me.

Joe

November 18 is the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Could he get that week off?:blueplane:
ApacheBob

kevin47881 said:
Bill, if you're looking for someone to split costs, let me know. I'd be happy to join you if you're o.k. with the idea.

Sure! I'd lvoe the company. I'm hoping to also beg some carpet space from some nice PoA'er and make it a RON. Are you ok with staying overnight and then returning?

AdamZ said:
Bill that would be great. Looks like it will be the third Saturday in May. I'll know soon. We will most likely make it the 3rd saturday in May every year now with Rain Date of sunday.

I've booked the 182 for the weekend, May 18-20.

Bill Jennings said:
Sure! I'd lvoe the company. I'm hoping to also beg some carpet space from some nice PoA'er and make it a RON. Are you ok with staying overnight and then returning?

I'm good with that. Any chance to check out a new airport for friends, food and fun sounds like a great idea!
But, gotta ask....RON ???:dunno:

I have a suggestion that may make the idea "fly" next time. The Bronx Aerospace Academy is an inner-city school where the kids really don't have much opportunity to have any real aviation experience. JFK and LGA are not exactly GA and (believe it or not) too expensive for these kids to even visit.

If you guys are interested, I can contact the principal (I know her) and propose a student essay contest on why the student would like to fly across the country. The winner would be the "baton" and would be obligated to write their experiences. I could provide a couple of "Second Prize" trips down the Hudson River and around the Statue of Liberty. Winner could be chosen/announced at graduation and trip planned for July. If the principal of that school is not interested, there are other inner-city high schools that might be.
http://nycboe.net/Offices/StudentEnroll/HSAdmissions/HSDirectory/Book/?sid=692

We would need volunteers to make sure the student gets a place to sleep, food and an informative and educational experience.

If there is enough interest, it might be possible to get media involvement and a small non-profit grant.
- Aunt Peggy

Last edited:
AuntPeggy said:
I have a suggestion that may make the idea "fly" next time. The Bronx Aerospace Academy is an inner-city school where the kids really don't have much opportunity to have any real aviation experience. JFK and LGA are not exactly GA and (believe it or not) too expensive for these kids to even visit.

If you guys are interested, I can contact the principal (I know her) and propose a student essay contest on why the student would like to fly across the country. The winner would be the "baton" and would be obligated to write their experiences. I could provide a couple of "Second Prize" trips down the Hudson River and around the Statue of Liberty. Winner could be chosen/announced at graduation and trip planned for July. If the principal of that school is not interested, there are other inner-city high schools that might be.

We would need volunteers to make sure the student gets a place to sleep, food and an informative and educational experience.

If there is enough interest, it might be possible to get media involvement and a small non-profit grant.
- Aunt Peggy

This is great! I've never heard of this school before. Certainly, someone from the school would be considered by me as a good candidate for a cross country flying adventure. This just sounds like a great suggestion.

Jim G

AuntPeggy said:

- Aunt Peggy

Your student will have to be 18 YOA or older or you will need a sponsor to fly along.

AuntPeggy said:

- Aunt Peggy

Wow, Sorry Rob! but this would be a great passenger!

Missa

Perhaps a student and 1 passenger? I always like to strike while the iron is hot. Who knows who will still have a medical by next July.
Peggy, would they be interested in going over Thanksgiving? Is it wrong to have a weight limit?
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

ApacheBob said:
Who knows who will still have a medical by next July.
ApacheBob

ACK Bob, what have you heard??!!
I think this is an excelent idea. i like the report on the trip too. Count me in.

I like the idea. I also agree if the student is less than 18 they should have an adult with them.

I'll be in if we can schedule far enough in advance that I don't have to cancel students.

Joe

On behalf of the C2C committee, I would like to propose a meeting of the C2C executive board on October 28, 2006, at the Ames Fly-In.
All in favor, say ACK!
ApacheBob

Hey, Rob!
Are you still interested in going from Coast-to-Coast for FREE?
I will be at the Ames fly-in on Saturday, October 28. When could you make your epic trip? I can start to see if the hombres are ready to ride again.
When do you want to fly?
ApacheBob

Bob, you did a fab job organizing and it was amazing to watch as the plan came together. I'm sure it will come off brilliantly when all stations are "Go!" I hope to be a part of something like this in the future, whether being part of a relay or providing a spot for a "RON" as someone put it. :) (Sorry I'm not Jennifer Lopez.)

Terry,
Maybe you would like to be our celebrity passenger. Would you be willing to travel to NYC?:blueplane:
ApacheBob

This was 3 years ago. We were so close.....

Any desires to try again?

I guarantee you, for the right candidate and circumstance, we'd git 'er done.

So...let's find the candidate and circumstances. The Dakota is airworthy again and I'll take a leg. Maybe we should help the lobsterfolk by distributing lobster to POA'rs across the country?:D Okay, so maybe that won't work. Maybe we wait for one of the long VAC flights?

I routinely fly from Pennsylvania to the Carolinas and various points west of here. Be glad to have someone along for part of the journey, but I'd only be willing to do it if it was on one of the weekends when I happen to be flying anyway.

Rob, you still interested? Or Beth?

Last edited:
Is ApacheBob still around these days? I would be willing to make a $500 burger flight to meet up and let these two old airplanes meet each other...

denny-o and Fat Albert the Apache in the frozen wilds of Michigan...

Back