Fly Coast-to-Coast for FREE

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
This idea is kind of like the pony express.

Would anyone like to participate in a Coast-to-Coast relay? Does anyone want a ride from Coast-to-Coast?
I would be willing to pick up a passenger in Toledo and drop them in Saint Louis (or visa versa) in my 1957 Apache. I would like to meet a POA pilot at my stops and have the baton (passenger) passed along from one segment to the next segment. The waypoints are open to discussion.
Okay, it sounds kind of corny. Kind of like "Hands across America." Maybe the passenger (a POA member, of course) could be a courier with a lobster from Maine or a key lime pie from Florida or a salmon from Alaska or an avocado from California.
Now that the Apache is current with its annual, I need an excuse to fly. This trip is not for money, just for fun. Interested?:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Oooh..and would the passenger get to fly once in a while, too? If so...me wanna go...

Well Bob if this comes about i could do a leg from CXY (harrisburg pa ) to Toledo in my Warrior as long as it's VFR. Let me know. or if flight goes other way from west to east i could do it from CXY to N.J or N.Y.
Dave G

Last edited:
If the time works out I can cover Missouri and maybe part of Kansas, Oklahoma or Nebraska which ever direction we need to go.

Not corny bob just a fun use of GA. We were gonna get two chains started XC in the past but the need never arose. Its not a bad Idea to to it just for fun.

Well, this is a pretty good start. It looks like the tough part will be the West. It seems like beginning in the East and heading West will give us more daylight (if we want to go for the Coast-to-Coast in one day challenge). Shipoke can share the NY to (Harrisburg to) Toledo leg. I can go from Toledo to Saint Louis. Dean can go from Saint Louis to Oklahoma City?
If Terzap can get to NY, I wouldn't mind showing someone my flight controls (for liability reasons, I am not allowed to say certain things).
If no Southwestern Pilots step forward, we could go for Denver-to-Las Vegas-to-San Francisco over the big mountains. If some Southwestern Pilots ring in, we could hope for Oklahoma City, Albuquerque, Phoenix and LA.
Maybe we could take pictures of a lawn gnome or pink flamingo going Coast-to-Coast.:blueplane:
Now if we could just get some Western response...
ApacheBob

I'd love to be a passenger on this flight. I could probably take off a week of school, or use my vacation during January. It sounds like a blast. Of course I'd bring my girlfriend's digital to provide lots of photos!
Maybe I could write up an article, and get a little publicity for the site too.

BTW, I don't weigh too much and I usually don't smell too bad.

...where's Henning when we need him?

(Rhetorical question - we all know he's in Aussie)

Spike, Would you be willing to pick someone up in Oklahoma City and drop them off in Roswell, NM (or someplace West of OKC)?

Rob, can you hitch a sky ride to Harrisburg, PA?

We still need help from the West to git-r-done. It looks like we may have NYC to Harrisburg to Toledo to Saint Louis to Oklahoma City(?) to Roswell, NM (?) The last two legs could be Roswell to Tucson and Tucson to San Diego. I am not sure if we can get Portland in here.

I may resort to contacting some POA Western pilots.
ApacheBob:blueplane:

Adam,
Would you be willing to split the NYC to Toledo leg with Dave G.?

Can't commit to anything right now Bob, as usual some necessary expenses have dinged my flying account.

Bob,

If we get a date and if it is VFR I can get the passenger from PA/NJ/NY to CXY. If it is IFR I could ask my instructor to make a training flight out of it (start my IFR up again) or ask my partner to fly.

Bob

The chain groweth!

What is better for everyone, Thursdays or Saturdays? Is October 5 too soon?

Possible connections:

NYC to CXY................Bob Ciotti
CXY to TOL.................Dave G.
TOL to STL.................Bob A.
STL to OKC.................Dean
OKC to (Abilene?).........Spike ?
(Abilene) to (ElPaso?)....Dave T.?

Possible passenger.........Rob! (As long as he doesn't smell too bad).:)

Maybe we can get participation trophies out to all the pilots.

ApacheBob said:
Adam,
Would you be willing to split the NYC to Toledo leg with Dave G.?

Not Adam and it would have to be a really Clear and Pritty day but I could take a PA leg. (depending on weather, day and plane avaiablitiy)

Missa

edit: guess I'm too late... but I can back up either PA leg.

Last edited:
I would volunteer to ride to the east coast, but I used to participate in snipe hunts when I was a kid. I just know y'all will get me to Maine somewhere and leave me there! :)
Hmm, but on the other hand, I could work on satiating my appetite for Maine Lobsters...

I'd love to. sign me up as a passenger just give me heads up on when - how long would this take?

oh sorry I can't do it anytime in October. very full month. but after that I might even have a license if the weather holds...

Oct 5 would probably work, I'd guess more people are free on weekends however. I'll wear deoderant!

Any good suggestions for that one way ticket home?

Too bad we can't round robin it... go through the northern states on the way out, the southern on the way back.

Missa

Missa said:
Too bad we can't round robin it... go through the northern states on the way out, the southern on the way back.

Yup, as it stands, the southeast sits this one out!

Missa,

I think that is a great idea. Bob do you think that is possible? it would save Rob a little money and get other people involved. Look om my leg Rob will not stink lol.

Bob

PS a weekend would be better for me.

If the return happens, I can get Rob down to Bill Jennings in Chattanooga from middle to west TN or even eastern Arkansas, northern Mississippi, western Kentucky or the Missouri bootheel (might even have to have supper at Lamberts if SIK is the pick up point).

Weekend is definately better for me,i dont have any vacation time (just changed jobs this summer). But if it has to be the 5th i can probably work that out too. just hope for VFR Days.
Dave G

Nothing is impossible...I have wings, don't I?

October 5
1. NYC to CXY....Bob Ciotti (call in sick)
2. CXY to TOL.....Missa (I guarantee clear and visibility one million miles)
3. TOL to Saint Joe, MO....Bob A.
4. Saint Joe to GLD...Dean

October 6
5. GLD to PUB...Greg K. (Rob! will bring you a lobster, but no snipes)
6. PUB to Las Vegas, Nevada...? (Who wouldn't want to fly to Vegas?)
7. Vegas to LA....?

October 7
8. LA to Yuma...?
9. Yuma to El Paso...? (so we have some work to do)
10. El Paso to Dallas...Dave T.?
11. Dallas to Pine Bluff, Ark....Spike?

October 8
12. Pine Bluff to Chattanooga...Kevin
13. Chattanooga to Charlotte, NC....Bill J.
14. Charlotte to DCA...Lance F.
15. DCA to NYC...Dave G.

Where the question marks start, we may need to connect the loose ends. We do have the list of POA members on a map.
What do you think?

ApacheBob said:
The chain groweth!

What is better for everyone, Thursdays or Saturdays? Is October 5 too soon?

Possible connections:

NYC to CXY................Bob Ciotti
CXY to TOL.................Dave G.
TOL to STL.................Bob A.
STL to OKC.................Dean
OKC to (Abilene?).........Spike ?
(Abilene) to (ElPaso?)....Dave T.?

Possible passenger.........Rob! (As long as he doesn't smell too bad).:)

Maybe we can get participation trophies out to all the pilots.

October is out for me, but November would work. How about the weekend after thanksgiving?

i can do that but would prefer if i didn't have to fly into the ADIZ, Lance can you change your destination to FDK or HGR,thanks Dave G.

ApacheBob said:
Nothing is impossible...I have wings, don't I?

October 5
1. NYC to CXY....Bob Ciotti (call in sick)
2. CXY to TOL.....Missa (I guarantee clear and visibility one million miles)
4. Saint Joe to GLD...Dean

October 6
6. PUB to Las Vegas, Nevada...? (Who wouldn't want to fly to Vegas?)
7. Vegas to LA....?

October 7
8. LA to Yuma...?
9. Yuma to El Paso...? (so we have some work to do)
10. El Paso to Dallas...Dave T.?

October 8
14. Charlotte to DCA...Lance F.
15. DCA to NYC...Dave G.

Where the question marks start, we may need to connect the loose ends. We do have the list of POA members on a map.
What do you think?

How did this change to work days? I thought it was for a weekend. If I'm taking the mid PA to Toledo trip lets divert it to the north to IPT so I can start from home.

I regret that there is only one airplane that I can give for my POA (to misquote Thomas Paine)

October 5
1. NYC to IPT....Bob Ciotti (sportsman's leave?)
2. IPT to TOL.....Missa (Did I mention that I lived in IPT in 1971?)
4. Saint Joe to GLD...Dean (please?)

October 6
6. PUB to Las Vegas, Nevada...EJensen from Fort Collins? (Is the Mooney turbocharged?)
7. Vegas to LA....Richard from Greenbrae, CA?

October 7
8. LA to Yuma...AirBaker from San Jose?
9. Yuma to El Paso...Michael from Lake Havasu or SkyHog from Albuquerque?
10. El Paso to Dallas...Dave T. or Cowboy Pilot Steve Isaacs?

October 8
14. Charlotte to HGR...Lance F.
15. HGR to NYC...Dave G.

We have 7 or 8 legs confirmed (more or less). I will make a new post to try to bring in some pilots from west of the Mississippi.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

I would love to participate, but until I kick this crappy sickness, I am grounded. I suspect I'll still be grounded by that date, unfortunately. (and broke from not working)

I can't do it on a work day; I took to many days off this month

Sorry,
Bob

rmciottijr said:
I can't do it on a work day; I took to many days off this month

Sorry,
Bob

I'm glad I'm not the only one not too able on workdays. I'm really iffy specially since I may be sent out of town soon.

Missa
P.S. I feel like a Bob sandwich in that list.

ApacheBob said:
October 8
15. HGR to NYC...Dave G.

Good ol' 197 (a 172) has been booked for the day, and I have a backup reservation on the 182.

Missa, I was feeling the same way. Rob you need to stay in LA for a week so we can do this on weekends ;-)

Bob

I can probably do the LA to Yuma on Sat Oct 7. I'll verify that in the next couple of days. It depends on if my regular Sat students need to fly early, I'm hoping my Cirrus guy wants some XC time.

Any ideas yet which airport in LA we'll be using?

Joe

Now that I'm slave labor, er, employee, weekdays are next to impossible for a while...

ApacheBob said:
I regret that there is only one airplane that I can give for my POA (to misquote Thomas Paine)

October 5
1. NYC to IPT....Bob Ciotti (sportsman's leave?)
2. IPT to TOL.....Missa (Did I mention that I lived in IPT in 1971?)
4. Saint Joe to GLD...Dean (please?)

October 6
6. PUB to Las Vegas, Nevada...EJensen from Fort Collins? (Is the Mooney turbocharged?)
7. Vegas to LA....Richard from Greenbrae, CA?

October 7
8. LA to Yuma...AirBaker from San Jose?
9. Yuma to El Paso...Michael from Lake Havasu or SkyHog from Albuquerque?
10. El Paso to Dallas...Dave T. or Cowboy Pilot Steve Isaacs?

October 8
15. HGR to NYC...Dave G.

We have 7 or 8 legs confirmed (more or less). I will make a new post to try to bring in some pilots from west of the Mississippi.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

There is no way I can do this on Thursday the 5th, SORRY! Maybe Diana, GregB or Dogman can take my place.

Last edited:
ApacheBob said:

Wasn't reading this thread. Would be fun to participate but that leg is a little long for fun. 5 hours no-wind flight time. An hour to PUB then 4 to VGT. Hard to explain 10 hours to the wife. Something in the 2-3 hour range might work.

Mooney's not turbo but I've made plenty of trips west. Not an issue.

The leg I got assigned, which I am most likely not going to be able to pull off (time off from a new job) and cost wise (I'm a renter) would be even easier if it were to the Denver area instead of PUB ...

Back