Fly Coast-to-Coast for FREE

SkyHog said:
And I've never been to El Paso before via GA.

We'll help you, Elp is easy. Just avoid white sands, and don't land at Biggs, don't smack the Franklins!
Honestly I would try to make the stop at Santa Teresa/Dona Ana 5T6 instead of El Paso, I bet the fuel is cheaper and there is a cool aviation museum right there.

At one time, Rob! talked about taking a week off. If he has the time, I hope he will continue the loop. If not, we will be soliciting.

Bob C.'s idea about sending trinkets or local momentos is good. (No bowling balls, please.):)

The latest update:

October 6 (Friday)
1. CDW to CGF....Bob Ciotti
2. CGF to KBTL.....Todd Kooser
3. KBTL to KPNT...Ed Frederick
4. KPNT to KUUV....Bob A. (Tom G. will be my co-pilot)

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KUUV to KPTS...Dean
6. KPTS to GLD...Rudy? +? (Maybe Diana's plane will be fixed sooner?)

October 8 (Sunday)
7. GLD to FNL...Greg K. (any chance you could go Saturday, Greg?)
8. FNL to KCNY (Moab)...Eric Jensen (Mooney master)
9. KCNY to KVGT...? (about 300 nm)
10. KVGT (North Las Vegas) to KLGB...Michael Diggs

October 14 (Saturday)
11. LGB to KHII...Areeda (Joe) (Cirrus driver)
12. KHII to ABQ...Michael Diggs (If two legs are too much, we will try Don Jones)
13. ABQ to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...SkyHog (Take lots of pictures!)
14. 5T6 to Marfa...Dave T.
15. Marfa to KADS...Troy Whistman
16. KADS to Pine Bluff, Ark....Spike?

October 15 (Sunday)
17. Pine Bluff to Chattanooga...Kevin
18. Chattanooga to Charlotte, NC....Bill J.
19. Charlotte to KLYH (Lynchburg, VA)...Lance Flynn
20. KLYH to KHGR...?
21. HGR to LNS...Dave G.
22. LNS to CDW...Jim G. (Saratoga driver)

If worst comes to worst with leg 20, we could ask Jim G. or Dave G. to fly all the way to KLYH. I hope that it does not come to this. Where are you, Virginia pilots?

Now 18 of 22 slots are filled. The Moab to KVGT leg may need two drivers. I hope that we can get Rob! to FNL early in the day so our mountain pilots can execute their legs in daylight.

I hope that everyone can support the CONUS Challenge. As Bob C. said, Bring your camera and remember your password.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

so lemme make sure I understand this...

This is like a relay. I wait at KABQ until Michael arrives, say hi to him, grab Rob! and then fly to 5T6, where I wait for Dave, and make the handoff to him?

If the weather turns sower I will ask my partner if he can help but I can't be 100% sure. Bob A. could you find out who is IFR and who is not?

Yes make sure the care package is light if everyone does it Rob will have ten of them. I don't see it being a weight problem but he will need to carry it around.

I don't have a problem flying to CGF but if someone wants to jump in the middle I would not complain and don't worry Bob I will still do it.

Bob

October 6 (Friday)
1. CDW to CGF....Bob Ciotti VFR only for now.
2. CGF to KBTL.....Todd Kooser
4. KPNT to KUUV....Bob A. (Tom G. will be my co-pilot)

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KUUV to KPTS...Dean
6. KPTS to GLD...Rudy? +? (Maybe Diana's plane will be fixed sooner?)

October 8 (Sunday)
7. GLD to FNL...Greg K. (any chance you could go Saturday, Greg?)
8. FNL to KCNY (Moab)...Eric Jensen (Mooney master)
9. KCNY to KVGT...? (about 300 nm)
10. KVGT (North Las Vegas) to KLGB...Michael Diggs

October 14 (Saturday)
11. LGB to KHII...Areeda (Joe) (Cirrus driver)
12. KHII to ABQ...Michael Diggs (If two legs are too much, we will try Don Jones)
13. ABQ to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...SkyHog (Take lots of pictures!)
14. 5T6 to Marfa...Dave T.
15. Marfa to KADS...Troy Whistman
16. KADS to Pine Bluff, Ark....Spike?

October 15 (Sunday)
17. Pine Bluff to Chattanooga...Kevin
18. Chattanooga to Charlotte, NC....Bill J.
19. Charlotte to KLYH (Lynchburg, VA)...Lance Flynn
20. KLYH to KHGR...?
21. HGR to LNS...Dave G.
22. LNS to CDW...Jim G. (Saratoga driver)

Skyhog,
That is pretty much the idea.

This Moab thing may be a problem. How about this:
Sin City is OUT!

October 8
FNL to Billings, Montana...Eric Jensen
Billings, Montana to Portland...Dave Krall

October 13
Portland to San Francisco...Terry Roy
San Francisco to LGB...Areeda (Joe)?
October 14
LGB to Phoenix...Michael Diggs?
Phoenix to ABQ...Don Jones?

Dave has been asking to get in. The Moab problem could make force us to make a change. Still no response for Moab, UT.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

The Moab thing doesn't surprise me, its in the middle of nowhere. Does anyone actually live there?

SkyHog said:
Does anyone actually live there?
Lots of mountain bikers. It's actually a very scenic area, near Canyonlands National Park.

Not many folks based at Moab, although it's a beautiful place to visit.

I'll be coming from Fort Collins, CO back to Farmington, NM on Saturday Oct 7 with an open seat and maybe a stop in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. If I didn't have to work on Sunday the 8th I would do the Moab to Vegas leg. Might be able to do something Monday the 9th, but can't do it Sunday.

Jon
Mooney 252 at FMN

4CornerFlyer said:
Not many folks based at Moab, although it's a beautiful place to visit.

I'll be coming from Fort Collins, CO back to Farmington, NM on Saturday Oct 7 with an open seat and maybe a stop in Albuquerque or Santa Fe. If I didn't have to work on Sunday the 8th I would do the Moab to Vegas leg. Might be able to do something Monday the 9th, but can't do it Sunday.

Jon
Mooney 252 at FMN

If you can work Jon's offer out, I can make the GLD run.

The uh, package is willing to wait around for a week in LA? Or is this a different "packg"?? I might have missed the deal on that.
Troy, this might be your chance to visit marfa, come early and stay til your leg. If unable, I will bring pkg to an easier place than listed, maybe abilene? We can work that out later. (all abv is still contingent on my schedule, working on it)

I will have to see what I can work out. Maybe Winslow or St Johns to ABQ?
Don't know if my schedule will permit, but I will see.
Don

Is our passenger staying over night at the last leg of the day? I am first up on Saturday the 7th, so do I need to help him with friday nights lodging? :dunno:

Dean said:
We need Rudy in on this, I think he is based out of Pittsburg, KS or somewhere there close.
I will have to check the dates, but this sounds fun, I would be glad to make the trip if I am free.

just plug me in wherever you need me. I would be glad to help out. Try and remember the High MEAs out west and night flight over the mountains, I have no O2.

Michael said:
just plug me in wherever you need me. I would be glad to help out. Try and remember the High MEAs out west and night flight over the mountains, I have no O2.

Mother Nature may want to bring some ice...

ApacheBob said:
Skyhog,
That is pretty much the idea.

This Moab thing may be a problem. How about this:
Sin City is OUT!

October 8
FNL to Billings, Montana...Eric Jensen
Billings, Montana to Portland...Dave Krall

October 13
Portland to San Francisco...Terry Roy
San Francisco to LGB...Areeda (Joe)?
October 14
LGB to Phoenix...Michael Diggs?
Phoenix to ABQ...Don Jones?

Dave has been asking to get in. The Moab problem could make force us to make a change. Still no response for Moab, UT.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

It'd be better (to avoid 10 hours airborne in the SkyHawk for me) if my leg could be from western Montana to Washington State Pacific coast, like Ocean Shores, WA. Then Rob! can walk to the beach and get a hotel even land on the sand if the tide and fogs are both out.

Portland, (PDX) Oregon is still about an hour from the saltwater breakers and Billings, Montana is a four hour flight if icing permits direct.

Plan D (kind of like plan A, only better). About 87 percent solid.
Where are you, Spike?

October 6 (Friday)
1. KCDW to KCGF....Bob Ciotti See note #1
2. KCGF to KBTL.....Todd Kooser
4. KPNT to KUUV....Bob A.

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KUUV to KPTS...Dean See note #6
6. KPTS to KHYS...Rudy
7. KHYS to KFNL...Eric Jensen See note #2
8. KFNL to KGUP...Jon (Mooney252) See note #3

October 8 (Sunday)
9. KGUP to KHII...Michael Diggs
10. KHII to KLGB...Areeda (Joe)? See note #4

October 14 (Saturday)
11. KLGB to KHII...Areeda (Joe)
12. KHII to KSNJ...Michael Diggs
13. KSNJ to KABQ...Don Jones
14. KABQ to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...SkyHog
15. 5T6 to KMRF...Dave T.
16. KMRF to KADS...Troy Whistman
17. KADS to KPBF....Spike?

October 15 (Sunday)
18. KPBF to KCHA...Kevin
19. KCHA to KCLT....Bill J.
20. KCLT to KLYH...Lance Flynn
21. KLYH to KHGR...?
22. KHGR to KLNS...Dave G. See Note #5
23. KLNS to KCDW...Jim G. (Saratoga driver) See Note #5

Note #1 see Note #5
Note #2 HYS is a little farther than GLD. I am trying to split up the Pittsburg-to-Fort Collins run a little better. Can you do Hays, Eric?
Note #3 Gallup is closer than Albuquerque for Michael. Is KGUP okay?
Note #4 Joe, would you be able to do two legs? We could ask Michael to go from Gallup to Long Beach, but that would be a pretty long haul.
Note #5 This is pretty complicated. Dave G. originally offered to do a Westbound leg. But it looked like we needed an eastbound flyer because someone else was taking a westbound leg. Missa dropped out. Bob Ciotti has offered to fly all the way to CGF, but was hoping for a shorter leg. Jim G. has talked about doing a bigger leg.
If Jim G. is willing to go all the way to KLYH (a long way) to take the passenger to KCDW, the loop will be almost complete. Then Bob Ciotti might be able to go from CDW to CXY (Harrisburg) on Friday if...Dave G., would you be interested in flying from CXY to CGF on Friday, October 6 about 2 pm?
Note #6 Dean, is there a pilot lounge at KUUV? He will probably not get into UUV until midnight. In order for Rob! to meet Jon at Fort Collins, he is going to need a fairly early start on Saturday. Thoughts?

Dave Krall, I don't know if we can put together the Colorado-Montana-Washington-Oregon-Northern California-Southern California loop. Perhaps we can assemble a "Spur" to bring a passenger from Seattle to Long Beach by October 13 for the Eastbound run? (If Rob! cannot wait the week.)

Greg K., I am asking Eric to go all the way to Hays, Kansas to get Rob!. I am not sure if he will accept the longer leg. We may need you. Either way, that lobster has your name on it.

The Moab problem caused a deviation, but I think that we are back on course.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

ApacheBob said:
Where are you, Spike?

October 6 (Friday)
1. KCDW to KCGF....Bob Ciotti See note #1
2. KCGF to KBTL.....Todd Kooser
4. KPNT to KUUV....Bob A.

October 7 (Saturday)
5. KUUV to KPTS...Dean See note #6
6. KPTS to KHYS...Rudy
7. KHYS to KFNL...Eric Jensen See note #2
8. KFNL to KGUP...Jon (Mooney252) See note #3

October 8 (Sunday)
9. KGUP to KHII...Michael Diggs
10. KHII to KLGB...Areeda (Joe)? See note #4

October 14 (Saturday)
11. KLGB to KHII...Areeda (Joe)
14. KABQ to 5T6 (Santa Teresa/Dona Ana)...SkyHog
15. 5T6 to KMRF...Dave T.
16. KMRF to KADS...Troy Whistman
17. KADS to KPBF....Spike?

October 15 (Sunday)
18. KPBF to KCHA...Kevin
19. KCHA to KCLT....Bill J.
20. KCLT to KLYH...Lance Flynn
21. KLYH to KHGR...?
22. KHGR to KLNS...Dave G. See Note #5
23. KLNS to KCDW...Jim G. (Saratoga driver) See Note #5

Note #1 see Note #5
Note #2 HYS is a little farther than GLD. I am trying to split up the Pittsburg-to-Fort Collins run a little better. Can you do Hays, Eric?
Note #3 Gallup is closer than Albuquerque for Michael. Is KGUP okay?
Note #4 Joe, would you be able to do two legs? We could ask Michael to go from Gallup to Long Beach, but that would be a pretty long haul.
Note #5 This is pretty complicated. Dave G. originally offered to do a Westbound leg. But it looked like we needed an eastbound flyer because someone else was taking a westbound leg. Missa dropped out. Bob Ciotti has offered to fly all the way to CGF, but was hoping for a shorter leg. Jim G. has talked about doing a bigger leg.
If Jim G. is willing to go all the way to KLYH (a long way) to take the passenger to KCDW, the loop will be almost complete. Then Bob Ciotti might be able to go from CDW to CXY (Harrisburg) on Friday if...Dave G., would you be interested in flying from CXY to CGF on Friday, October 6 about 2 pm?
Note #6 Dean, is there a pilot lounge at KUUV? He will probably not get into UUV until midnight. In order for Rob! to meet Jon at Fort Collins, he is going to need a fairly early start on Saturday. Thoughts?

Dave Krall, I don't know if we can put together the Colorado-Montana-Washington-Oregon-Northern California-Southern California loop. Perhaps we can assemble a "Spur" to bring a passenger from Seattle to Long Beach by October 13 for the Eastbound run? (If Rob! cannot wait the week.)

Greg K., I am asking Eric to go all the way to Hays, Kansas to get Rob!. I am not sure if he will accept the longer leg. We may need you. Either way, that lobster has your name on it.

The Moab problem caused a deviation, but I think that we are back on course.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Reference note#6, UUV pilots lounge is on a key pad, the code is the unicom frq using all 5 numbers. Not much in there other than a couch and two chairs. Pop machine out side. If you like, I would leave my hangar unlocked for him and there is Hotdogs and Whitecastle in the fridge along with drinks. TV, Stereo, Microwave and Coffee pot.There is also a couch for him to sleep on if he likes. Send me a PM if you want to do this and I'll let you know which one it is. I can be ready to leave at sunrise on Saturday.

ApacheBob said:

That should work although I don't know what plane I'll be flying.

Michael - have you given any thought to what time you'll do the GUP-HII leg, I should reserve a backup rental.

As far as the 10/14 leg to HII if the package can get to KEMT we can be wheels up around 0630 arriving HII at 0800. If I go to LGB it will probably be IFR (coastal fog usually not below minimums) and arrival at HII would probably be 0900-1000. With 7 legs that day it seems earlier is better.

Joe

ApacheBob said:

I can do Hays. Not too much different.

Greg, not trying to steal your leg. If you can't make it, I'll be glad to. Or we could go together. The Mooney will do three.

We should try to get some times going too, so I know when to meet Don, and when to expect Dave.

I'm a bit hesitant to agree to the 10/7 Fort Collins to Gallup leg because of the timing. There's serious terrain on that route, and I generally like to clear the mountains by around noon, which would be impossible given the distance and multiple legs involved coming from UUV that day. While it's possible it might work, you can't reliably count on a late afternoon flight up there, and even if you can do it, it usually isn't very pleasant with the turbulence.

A trip down to the Albuquerque area is more doable, since it's mostly flying parallel to the front range and gives Rob! the opportunity to see the balloon festival launch Sunday morning, as opposed to spending the night in Gallup...something lacking in excitement at best.

Jon

SkyHog said:
We should try to get some times going too, so I know when to meet Don, and when to expect Dave.

I'm working up a spreadsheet I'll post in a few minute that has overview maps of the route, sunrise / sunset times, approaches into the planned airports, flight times, etc. I'm not trying to step on Bob's fine work, just worried about the flight time for the 14th, as we're going 'against' the sun that day. Also, I was having trouble picturing the route. The maps in the spreadsheet make that easy.

BTW, what is KSNJ?

I can't find an airport with that identifier.

4CornerFlyer said:
I'm a bit hesitant to agree to the 10/7 Fort Collins to Gallup leg because of the timing. There's serious terrain on that route, and I generally like to clear the mountains by around noon, which would be impossible given the distance and multiple legs involved coming from UUV that day. While it's possible it might work, you can't reliably count on a late afternoon flight up there, and even if you can do it, it usually isn't very pleasant with the turbulence.

A trip down to the Albuquerque area is more doable, since it's mostly flying parallel to the front range and gives Rob! the opportunity to see the balloon festival launch Sunday morning, as opposed to spending the night in Gallup...something lacking in excitement at best.

Jon

That's a great suggestion, IMHO.

If we can, lets post our departure time and arrival time for our leg. Would be interesting to see the different fly times for each aircraft. Maybe list what aircraft you flew and ground speed you averaged.

I am hoping for a 0630 departure time, 0700 at the latest. I should be in Pittsburg, Ks around 0830-0900 if the winds cooperate.

Troy,

Hope you don't mind but I did a flight plan for the route and the map is below. Total distance 4997 nm.

Joe
Fly4Free.png

Areeda, we will leave Gallup around 7am ish. I woud excpect to land in Havasu by 9-930 local time.

OK, to help visualize the routes, times, daylight hours, approaches available into the airports, etc., I've put together a spreadsheet that I'll keep maintained and updated on my website... you can always get the latest copy of the spreadsheet here: http://www.whistman.com/files/POABaton.xls

You'll need MS Excel or MSoft's free viewer to see it.

First tab is an overview. Subsequent tabs are details for that day, including overview map of the planned route.

I've included sunrise/sunset time for each day in ZULU based on departure airport and final destination for the day, and how many daylight hours that gives us.

I've also computed the estimated time enroute based on average of 120 knots GS, direct route, and 0.5 hours on the ground for each leg (handoff , bathroom, weather check time). Obviously, this is a MINIMUM and route times will probably be longer.

It will help me if each pilot can send me their leg #, aircraft type, and filed TAS in knots so I can update the spreadsheet with actual values rather than estimates.

Saturday Oct 14th is the "tough" day. We're headed east, against the sun, and have at a minimum 16 hours flying (15.9) planned with only 9:38 daylight from sunrise-sunset. Look at NM/Texas, we go WAY off route. With SkyHog not feeling well as it is, I've added a "proposed Day 4" tab at the end that is more direct after KABQ, and which knocks off 300nm and 2.5 hours flying.

Ideas? Comments?

Last edited:
I am picking Rob up at 1:00 so I was planning on departing at 12:00 from N99 arriving at KCDW at 12:45. Give us 30 min to claim the airport and to pack Rob in. So we should be departing KCDW at 1:30 give or take. So we should arrive at KCGF at 4:30 With no wind calc. I will be flying a Cessna 172 N2609L. Also I think we should all get Rob’s cell # and the # for the pilot that is flying the next leg.

Bob

Last edited:
rmciottijr said:
I am picking Rob up at 1:00 so I was planning on departing at 12:00 from N99 arriving at KCDW at 12:45. Give us 30 min to claim the airport and to pack Rob in.

1pm EDT for leg 1... is that right?

Troy,

Spreadsheet looks good. One small point the dates in the tabs for westbound trip are off by 1 (ie Friday is Oct 6 not Oct 7).

Info on my legs. Sunday Oct 8 will be either an SR22 (if it's back from it's annual) cruise (economy) is 165. Otherwise it will be an Archer cruise 110 kts. Return will be in SR22. I am instrument rated, and current.

Joe

Areeda said:
Troy,

Spreadsheet looks good. One small point the dates in the tabs for westbound trip are off by 1 (ie Friday is Oct 6 not Oct 7).

Info on my legs. Sunday Oct 8 will be either an SR22 (if it's back from it's annual) cruise (economy) is 165. Otherwise it will be an Archer cruise 110 kts. Return will be in SR22. I am instrument rated, and current.

Joe

Thanks, Joe. Fixed and updated per your comments.

Tony,

Good Job on the spreadsheet. FYI I am not IFR rated, I am thinking about 118 TAS.

Bob

Back