Flight turndown im safE

James331

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
James331
I was going to go to a pancake breakfast fly-in today, now I can count on one hand the number of times I've turned down a flight for he whole "I'm Safe" thing, basically unless I can't stop barffing, bleeding or otherwise I fly, sometimes it might not be a fun flight, but I can still keep stuff safe.

Last night my dog ran off chasing something, middle of the night, couldn't find her, decided to go back to the house, otherwise if she thinks I'm chasing her we'll be out all night.
Some time goes by and she doesn't come back, I decide to get in the car and go down the road, I was looking in yards and in side ditch areas where she might find a mouse or something, didn't even think to look at the road itself, well on my pass back towards the house I see something in the road, I'm thinking its probably just some wild animal, even though my gut knows it's not, I see that she got hit, doesn't look like she suffered, but some bastard hits my dog and doesn't even stop? Just leaves her in the middle of the road??? I believe my dog had more humanity in than some of these bipeds who claim the title.

Long and short, I know she was just a dog and all, but man.

Sorry for the rant.

Tough deal for sure. Sorry. I feel your pain. I have my two Shelties buried in the backyard and still talk to them.

Last edited:
Dammit, that's horrible. Really sorry to hear this but I think you definitely made the right call about the flight.

Sorry to hear James. I'd call in sick for at least the first day if my dog died. That's probably one of the few things that would keep me from work or even check the IMSAFE box on the RA.

I get it. Condolences.

so sorry, James. whoever hit her may have thought he hit a raccoon, etc. and not a dog. I can only imagine the pain if that had been my Maggie.
2014-10-16 09.09.22.jpg

Sorry for your loss my friend. People have no respect for human or animal lives these days. Hang in there

Sorry. We just had to put our 17-year old cat, Amelia, to rest Thursday, so I know the feeling of loss all too well. And understand how **** off you are. :(

Sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to have it be gone without you being there to comfort. They are certainly tokens of continuity in a life so cruel at times, it makes us question the basic assumption of compassion in the filth of humanity that surrounds us. Good call on calling kings X on the flight. Everybody needs space every now and then. One day at a time, it's all one can do. Hang in there.

Sorry for your lost. I konw is a common place, but dogs are man's best friends.

It's not "just a dog". So sorry for your loss. You're right too, dogs are almost universally better people than most humans.

Thanks for the kind words guys, still a little ways from alright, but I do appreciate the thoughts.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry James. That's really terrible. Losing a pet is losing a family member.

Pets are indeed one of the family, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss.

Our fur kids always hold a special place in our hearts. Honestly, my allergies flare up every time I think of my Rotti, Roxi. She listened better than most kids and was with me 24/7 even on my construction projects.

Awww, man..bummer. My little guy is more family to me than some of my actual family so sorry to hear that.

Just remember, when you are ready to move forward with a new companion...

66024202.jpg

First, I've blown off lots of flights because I just didn't feel up to it.

Second, condolences on your lost pet. Driving out in the boonies once I know I hit some sort of small quadrupedal mammal. It was dark and the blamed thing ran right out in front of me. Could have easily been someone's dog. i stopped but couldn't see it (dark, remember?). So someone might have thought they hit a coon or something.

Now the bitter pill. It is YOUR fault your dog went off into the night. You should have had fence/leash/training something to keep it in check. My dogs don't run away when I go out to get them, they know I'm their alpha and I'm one of the good guys. I am sorry, but that animal's death is entirely on you. I am sorry to say this at a lousy time, but this might be something to think about with the next dog.

Awww, man..bummer. My little guy is more family to me than some of my actual family so sorry to hear that.

Just remember, when you are ready to move forward with a new companion...

66024202.jpg

Lol, I'm going to use that one!

First, I've blown off lots of flights because I just didn't feel up to it.

Second, condolences on your lost pet. Driving out in the boonies once I know I hit some sort of small quadrupedal mammal. It was dark and the blamed thing ran right out in front of me. Could have easily been someone's dog. i stopped but couldn't see it (dark, remember?). So someone might have thought they hit a coon or something.

Now the bitter pill. It is YOUR fault your dog went off into the night. You should have had fence/leash/training something to keep it in check. My dogs don't run away when I go out to get them, they know I'm their alpha and I'm one of the good guys. I am sorry, but that animal's death is entirely on you. I am sorry to say this at a lousy time, but this might be something to think about with the next dog.

I know that, she was my responsibility and now she is dead, will live with that every damn day of my life, thanks for pointing it out, never occurred to me.

As for the situation at hand, I was letting her out, she did this almost baseball slide army crawl under the door as I opened it (it's on a hill) which I didn't even know she could do, dashed off after whatever it was, and got hit.

Thing is, I'm not the guy who lets my dog run amuck, the only time I would let her run free off a leash and not in a fenced in area was in remote areas only accessible by seaplanes or choppers, I'm pretty damn irresponsible like that.

While perhaps true, that was a little harsh. At least James agrees somewhat with you, but still harsh, and maybe too soon. I understand where you're coming from as I had similar thoughts but kept them in check. No one likes losing a companion like a dog. Just my opinion, no need to get ticked off.

I know that, she was my responsibility and now she is dead, will live with that every damn day of my life, thanks for pointing it out, never occurred to me.

As for the situation at hand, I was letting her out, she did this almost baseball slide army crawl under the door as I opened it (it's on a hill) which I didn't even know she could do, dashed off after whatever it was, and got hit.

Thing is, I'm not the guy who lets my dog run amuck, the only time I would let her run free off a leash and not in a fenced in area was in remote areas only accessible by seaplanes or choppers, I'm pretty damn irresponsible like that.

For what it's worth, dogs want to please their alphas. If the dog skinnied past you it is only because it didn't know it wasn't supposed to. Dogs are just like children, they need boundaries and limitations. The dog has got to know that it isn't allowed anywhere near the door without your say so. It isn't even a difficult thing to train, I've trained three dogs to do this.

I know this is coming off harsh for which I apologize. But I doubt you're done with dogs, so my little diatribe ought to be a good thing moving forward.

Again, condolences.

The dog has got to know that it isn't allowed anywhere near the door without your say so. It isn't even a difficult thing to train, I've trained three dogs to do this.

I trained my pup Pax the same thing. I am not strict on all doors but he can not go out my front or side door without a sit and release cue. Back door into the fenced yard I leave open for him to come and go. Now I can leave the front door wide open and go get the mail or run to the truck without worrying about him coming out. Other thing I trained into him is no crossing the street with the same technique. Sit and release before going into any street. Door is easy, street takes a lot more dedication and time.

Had my neighbor make an attempt of making fun of me when seeing that training..."What, you expect the dog to look both ways before for traffic too?" se said jokingly...then once I explained how may dogs get killed from the bolt and dash into the street, If it slows him down even a second for a driver to potentially see him it is worth ever second we spend on it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back