Flight turndown im safE

Sorry to hear, it is never easy to lose a family member (yes, they are).
May I suggest for your very next flight a PnP mission to go pick up a pup? I know it won't help her but it will help you. Time to move on and give another pup a chance.
Care to post a picture so that we can feel bad too and share your pain?

Sorry to hear that. Not all breeds of dogs are mindless "alpha pleasers" at every moment of their lives. Some breeds still have brains and have imaginations (I think...) You're certainly NOT the only guy to ever have a dog get loose from a yard, vehicle, leash, etc. You went out searching for you buddy; it's not like you waited 1-2 days. You did right by your pal.

They are never "just a dog". It's always tough losing one of our dogs, birds or horses. Worse when it happens when not expected. Hoping you find another as good as the companion you just lost James.

Sorry to hear, it is never easy to lose a family member (yes, they are).
May I suggest for your very next flight a PnP mission to go pick up a pup? I know it won't help her but it will help you. Time to move on and give another pup a chance.
Care to post a picture so that we can feel bad too and share your pain?

Thanks, Ive been thinking about it, but it does also feel cold thinking about another dog.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    964.4 KB · Views: 157
Sorry to hear that. Not all breeds of dogs are mindless "alpha pleasers" at every moment of their lives. Some breeds still have brains and have imaginations (I think...) You're certainly NOT the only guy to ever have a dog get loose from a yard, vehicle, leash, etc. You went out searching for you buddy; it's not like you waited 1-2 days. You did right by your pal.

This is utter nonsense. My dogs are the small hairy Asian breeds (my little Lhasa Apso Phizzbyn is the most closely related of all the dog breeds to wolves) which are among the least trainable of all dog breeds, and they're trained to respect the door. Dogs all want to please their alphas, its part of their genetic wiring. Some (like little Phizzy) don't respond well to negative reinforcement. It just takes slightly more imaginative training regimens.

This is utter nonsense. My dogs are the small hairy Asian breeds (my little Lhasa Apso Phizzbyn is the most closely related of all the dog breeds to wolves) which are among the least trainable of all dog breeds, and they're trained to respect the door. Dogs all want to please their alphas, its part of their genetic wiring. Some (like little Phizzy) don't respond well to negative reinforcement. It just takes slightly more imaginative training regimens.

Your dog is most certainly NOT the domestic dog most closely related to the gray wolf. Canis familiaris, as a species, is descended from the wolf. Everyone wants their dog to be "the" dog most closely related to the gray wolf. I dare say the Alaskan Malamute or Siberian Husky have your dog beat by nautical miles. They even have the phenotypical traits. ;) Phenotype proves genotype. Now you can be mean to me and leave poor James alone. I'm sure that your dogs were born trained and never once, not EVER, had house-breaking issues (that your dog's breed is infamous for. Gross!)

Your dog is most certainly NOT the domestic dog most closely related to the gray wolf. Canis familiaris, as a species, is descended from the wolf. Everyone wants their dog to be "the" dog most closely related to the gray wolf. I dare say the Alaskan Malamute or Siberian Husky have your dog beat by nautical miles. They even have the phenotypical traits. ;) Phenotype proves genotype. Now you can be mean to me and leave poor James alone. I'm sure that your dogs were born trained and never once, not EVER, had house-breaking issues (that your dog's breed is infamous for. Gross!)

Phenotype does not indicate genotype. Put another way, perhaps you'd like to explain why Cetaceans are more closely related to dogs, which they don't at all resemble, than to fish, which they do resemble. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
So these guys

lhasa-apso-1-645mk062411.jpg

Are more of a wolf than these guys?
alaskanmalamutesf5.jpg

FYI there is a difference in breeds and how likely they are to obey a command

Brightest Dogs
Understanding of New Commands: Fewer than 5 repetitions.
Obey First Command: 95% of the time or better.

Border Collie
Poodle
German Shepherd
Golden Retriever
Doberman Pinscher
Shetland Sheepdog
Labrador Retriever
Papillon
Rottweiler
Australian Cattle Dog

Excellent Working Dogs
Understanding of New Commands: 5 to 15 repetitions.
Obey First Command: 85% of the time or better.

Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Miniature Schnauzer
English Springer Spaniel
Belgian Shepherd Dog (Tervuren)
Schipperke
Belgian Sheepdog
Collie
Keeshond
German Shorthaired Pointer
Flat-Coated Retriever
English Cocker Spaniel
Standard Schnauzer
Brittany
Cocker Spaniel
Weimaraner
Belgian Malinois
Bernese Mountain Dog
Pomeranian
Irish Water Spaniel
Vizsla
Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Above Average Working Dogs
Understanding of New Commands: 15 to 25 repetitions.
Obey First Command: 70% of the time or better.

Chesapeake Bay Retriever
Puli
Yorkshire Terrier
Giant Schnauzer
Airedale Terrier
Bouvier des Flandres
Border Terrier
Briard
Welsh Springer Spaniel
Manchester Terrier
Samoyed
Field Spaniel
Newfoundland
Australian Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Gordon Setter
Bearded Collie
Cairn Terrier
Kerry Blue Terrier
Irish Setter
Norwegian Elkhound
Affenpinscher
Australian Silky Terrier
Miniature Pinscher
English Setter
Pharaoh Hound
Clumber Spaniel
Norwich Terrier
Dalmatian

Average Working/Obedience Intelligence
Understanding of New Commands: 25 to 40 repetitions.
Obey First Command: 50% of the time or better.

Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier
Bedlington Terrier
Fox Terrier (Smooth)
Curly Coated Retriever
Irish Wolfhound
Kuvasz
Australian Shepherd
Saluki
Finnish Spitz
Pointer
Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
German Wirehaired Pointer
Black and Tan Coonhound
American Water Spaniel
Siberian Husky
Bichon Frise
King Charles Spaniel
Tibetan Spaniel
English Foxhound
Otterhound
American Foxhound
Greyhound
Wirehaired Pointing Griffon
West Highland White Terrier
Havanese
Scottish Deerhound
Boxer
Great Dane
Dachshund
Shiba Inu
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Alaskan Malamute
Whippet
Chinese Shar Pei
Wire Fox Terrier
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Ibizan Hound
Welsh Terrier
Irish Terrier
Boston Terrier
Akita

Fair Working/Obedience Intelligence
Understanding of New Commands: 40 to 80 repetitions.
Obey First Command: 30% of the time or better.

Skye Terrier
Norfolk Terrier
Sealyham Terrier
Pug
French Bulldog
Griffon Bruxellois
Maltese
Italian Greyhound
Chinese Crested
Dandie Dinmont Terrier
Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen
Tibetan Terrier
Japanese Chin
Lakeland Terrier
Old English Sheepdog
Great Pyrenees
Scottish Terrier
Saint Bernard
Bull Terrier
Chihuahua
Lhasa Apso
Bullmastiff

Lowest Degree of Working/Obedience Intelligence
Understanding of New Commands: 80 to 100 repetitions or more.
Obey First Command: 25% of the time or worse.

Shih Tzu
Basset Hound
Mastiff
Beagle
Pekingese
Bloodhound
Borzoi
Chow Chow
Bulldog
Basenji
Afghan Hound

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs

Phenotype does not indicate genotype. Put another way, perhaps you'd like to explain why Cetaceans are more closely related to dogs, which they don't at all resemble, than to fish, which they do resemble. Good luck with that.

Uh, they're both mammals, but Cetacea are more closely related to hoofed animals than they are to dogs. I know someone directly related to a baboon, though. Can you guess who he is?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back