Flight Bag You Actually Use

Here's the ultimate flight bag. Triple Aught Design's Fast Pack Litespeed. Perfect size and features for aviation and it's also an awesome backpack for other stuff. Downside: price. ($245)

0f5ad0c0eaf43a3f7895a46e4bbddd4c.jpg

I've coveted one of these for awhile. I have the larger model, the EDC. Hard to justify yet another backpack purchase. I have a pack fetish - I own about a half dozen. Heh.

I have a backpack just like that I got for about 100 bucks. I have a flight bag as well, though I haven't used it for much since I got my hangar.

I have a backpack just like that I got for about 100 bucks.

It may look just like it... but it's not just like it. This thing is badass, extremely heavy duty. Use it every day for everything from the gym to travel to hiking... it's tough as nails.

It may look just like it... but it's not just like it. This thing is badass, extremely heavy duty. Use it every day for everything from the gym to travel to hiking... it's tough as nails.
Mine too. It fits everything I need to carry on a daily basis. That said, it hasn't even gone through one season, so we'll see how tough it is.

I use a gliem bag,pick a few up at Osh and sun n fun.

Probably 90% of us got gung-ho early in our training and bought a flight bag of some sort or another. Something to carry a headset, handheld radio, iPad, VFR and IFR charts, A/FD and TPP, E6B in both whiz-wheel and electronic form, a handful of plotters, foggles, flashlight, sunglasses, extra batteries, notepad, pulse oximeter, Stratus, vomit bags, full change of clothes and shaving kit, logbook, first aid kit, snowshoes, the kitchen sink, and some ballast just to make sure you can't try to carry any passengers without going over gross. And then we all end up leaving that behind and just carrying an iPad and headset to the plane when we actually fly. And then we run into times when we wish we had something else that we had left back at the hangar, be it a cell phone charger or a change of underwear for an unplanned overnight diversion or a paper chart when the iPad stops working.

Who here has a flight bag that they actually use and like that will carry the things you use on 100% of flights and store the things you might 100% need on 1% of flights, without being disorganized or the wrong size? I made a list of my stuff in 4 categories: in use during flight, handy during flight to use regularly, handy during flight for emergencies, and only used on the ground when spending the night somewhere unplanned or getting ramp checked. Then I ran out of steam before shopping for a bag.

Old thread, but, so's my flight bag. I'm a non-owner, so I can't just leave stuff in the plane. I have a Sporty's flight bag that I got back in 2000 that I still use. I'd take a picture, but it's at home and I'm in Milan for the week. Suffice to say that it holds everything I need and then some. It got lighter when I stopped my Jeppesen subscription, so there's some weight out of it. It has held up very well and I expect to not have to replace it.

If you wouldn’t mind measuring it. My iPad is 10” by 7” in its case.

Thanks.

Exterior "hidden" pocket (where my kneeboard is in the images) is 8" by 11", roughly. Should fit fine, unless the case is very thick.

Interior pocket is even bigger (you can see my ipad and logbook inside in one of the images); 9.5 by 12"

Back