First checkout/endorsement lesson on my plane

Daniel L

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel
Well folks, it finally happened. I got my first two hours in Ms Thang with instructor on Saturday.

Got tons to absorb, get the flows in my head. I need everything in my head solidly and we're flying again tomorrow.

On my walk around I realized my beautiful fabric has now been tarnished by, what appears to be, a bird strike. Trevor was good enough to bring some tape over to prevent it from spreading. One thing to get patched on the annual.

Got 5 takeoff/landings done and a few hot starts among all the maneuvers. Went to three different fields as well. First landing was a greaser but I let the nose down a bit too early and experienced the squirliness that Vikings are known for so I got the nose back up. Wow, what a difference it makes to apply brakes while the nose is still flared. I really really really get it now, from all the advice given from other Viking pilots about these landings. On landing it seemed so counterintuitive to trim it all the way back, and even feels wrong, but it's required. I just couldn't imagine it until I did it.

Takeaway one: Interesting slow flight. With manifold and props set at 25/25, this was cruise @ 130knots, alt 3500.

Takeaway two: To configure the plane for cruise, set the engine manifold pressure first, then the prop. Makes sense.

Mistake one: As I previously mentioned, letting the nose down too early during landing.

Mistake two: On the downwind, I set full props. Bad decision since I wasn't descending yet. So don't push full props at once. Nudge it halfway on the downwind, then full props on base or final. Or full props on final. I had conditioned myself to do GUMP on the downwind like all the other pilots I've seen on youtube. So I have learned that all planes are different. Gas/Undercarriage on the downwind, Mixture/Prop on final.

Naturally, tomorrow will be more comfortable. I had such a blast and I love the way she handles turbulence.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

1. 130 kts seems slow for a Viking at 25/25

2. Don't **** off airport neighbors by cranking up the RPMs on the prop. Wait until the props come off the stops (RPM is controlled by throttle) before adjusting the propeller.

3. Your takeaway 2 is just preference. On a majority of non turbo airplanes you aren't going to cause problems by adjusting prop first. Read the power setting ranges acceptable for your engine and prop. IiRC for the O 540 you can run WOT and 2300 RPM and be good.

1. 130 kts seems slow for a Viking at 25/25

2. Don't **** off airport neighbors by cranking up the RPMs on the prop. Wait until the props come off the stops (RPM is controlled by throttle) before adjusting the propeller.

3. Your takeaway 2 is just preference. On a majority of non turbo airplanes you aren't going to cause problems by adjusting prop first. Read the power setting ranges acceptable for your engine and prop. IiRC for the O 540 you can run WOT and 2300 RPM and be good.
Yeah it was quite windy. And yeah, the mistake was a lesson learned not to be repeated.

Well folks, it finally happened. I got my first two hours in Ms Thang with instructor on Saturday.

Got tons to absorb, get the flows in my head. I need everything in my head solidly and we're flying again tomorrow.

On my walk around I realized my beautiful fabric has now been tarnished by, what appears to be, a bird strike. Trevor was good enough to bring some tape over to prevent it from spreading. One thing to get patched on the annual.

Got 5 takeoff/landings done and a few hot starts among all the maneuvers. Went to three different fields as well. First landing was a greaser but I let the nose down a bit too early and experienced the squirliness that Vikings are known for so I got the nose back up. Wow, what a difference it makes to apply brakes while the nose is still flared. I really really really get it now, from all the advice given from other Viking pilots about these landings. On landing it seemed so counterintuitive to trim it all the way back, and even feels wrong, but it's required. I just couldn't imagine it until I did it.

Takeaway one: Interesting slow flight. With manifold and props set at 25/25, this was cruise @ 130knots, alt 3500.

Takeaway two: To configure the plane for cruise, set the engine manifold pressure first, then the prop. Makes sense.

Mistake one: As I previously mentioned, letting the nose down too early during landing.

Mistake two: On the downwind, I set full props. Bad decision since I wasn't descending yet. So don't push full props at once. Nudge it halfway on the downwind, then full props on base or final. Or full props on final. I had conditioned myself to do GUMP on the downwind like all the other pilots I've seen on youtube. So I have learned that all planes are different. Gas/Undercarriage on the downwind, Mixture/Prop on final.

Naturally, tomorrow will be more comfortable. I had such a blast and I love the way she handles turbulence.

Cool, congrats on your first ‘date’ with the Ms. LOL. That thing about ‘full prop’ to early has a name that some use. Wait until it’s ‘out of the governor.’ @EdFred describes it well as off ‘the stops’ above.

Sounds like he's already run a fowl with the Ms...

Congrats. What happened to the fabric?

Also "25/25, this was cruise @ 130knots" does not sound like slow flight.

Always think...keep the Prop speed higher than the manifold Pressure....while adjusting manifold first.

Cruise at 23/23 which should be around 65%, anything higher will shorten the engine life IMHO.

This.

Keeping the props quiet is being a good neighbor.

Always think...keep the Prop speed higher than the manifold Pressure....while adjusting manifold first.

Cruise at 23/23 which should be around 65%, anything higher will shorten the engine life IMHO.

Let me guess, because "that's what my instructor told me" ??

What happens if you have a manifold pressure gauge that's in metric. Then what?

Congrats. What happened to the fabric?
Bird strike. Attached. Other pics were taken by a buddy who was watching.

tapatalk_1559610711645.jpg
tapatalk_1559610720989.jpg
tapatalk_1559610728696.jpg

We could've gone to 100-110, true.

When I think slow flight, I think MCAS (edit, MCA better, MCAS being baaad word in aviation these days), back side of the power curve, near stall speed, that kinda stuff.

You do know that you don't have to wait for the annual to repair something on your airplane ;-)

I would get that patched ASAP.
Got duct tape on the inside where the hit was and shipping tape on the outside. My annual is next month and getting into a shop before then for a fabric patch is impossible.

When I think slow flight, I think MCAS (edit, MCA better, MCAS being baaad word in aviation these days), back side of the power curve, near stall speed, that kinda stuff.
Yeah touche. We did true slow flight during maneuvers. I should be more clear.

Daniel,

Congrats getting the endorsement knocked out. Wishing you many fun hours of flight.

I just went through my transition training after not flying for eleven months. Learning the flows and getting back to multitasking took some time but it comes back. I managed to knock out the flight review and IPC.

Daniel,

Congrats getting the endorsement knocked out. Wishing you many fun hours of flight.

I just went through my transition training after not flying for eleven months. Learning the flows and getting back to multitasking took some time but it comes back. I managed to knock out the flight review and IPC.
Hey thanks. I got two more hours today. Got four more scheduled before weekend. I have a ways to go and trying to knock it out before the AOPA flyin at the end of the month.

Still scared of the plane though. She's fast and heavy but graceful and joyful to fly. I was sweating my nuts off but blissful the whole time.

Did you join Wings?

Haven't heard from you in a while. How's things with the Viking? :D
oh hey. pretty good. he signed me off last week. just need 3 more hours with him to satisfy insurance requirements. He's out of town and i don't see him until the 3rd to finish off those hours.

The viking is great. I really love flying her. Did a flying tour of napa valley a few weeks back and it was such a hoot. Going to fly Ms thang to Bend Oregon next month to visit the last blockbuster viideo in existence, buy some previously viewed videos, and rent one for old time's sake. We'll take it home to watch and mail it back. The employee told me, over the phone, that people do that all the time and they're constantly busy. So, it looks like Blockbuster is here to stay (hopefully). It seems to have built a reputation as a tourist stop too.

Meanwhile, I have been busy at the office and getting ready for a trip to Hollywood. The spouse really really really wants me to see some museums down there, like max factor, and some other hollywood crap. This is the part where i act interested and engaged.

Oh, and I've been lurking. Been very active in a cigar forum lately and been working on a new master for my molds so I've been a busy beaver. Looking at 3D printing too.

Lots going on.

Last edited:
I did my PPL in Napa. Runway 6/24 was mostly out of service at the time, so I got pretty good at crosswind landings and takeoffs.

oh hey. pretty good. he signed me off last week. just need 3 more hours with him to satisfy insurance requirements. He's out of town and i don't see him until the 3rd to finish off those hours.

The viking is great. I really love flying her. Did a flying tour of napa valley a few weeks back and it was such a hoot. Going to fly Ms thang to Bend Oregon next month to visit the last blockbuster viideo in existence, buy some previously viewed videos, and rent one for old time's sake. We'll take it home to watch and mail it back. The employee told me, over the phone, that people do that all the time and they're constantly busy. So, it looks like Blockbuster is here to stay (hopefully). It seems to have built a reputation as a tourist stop too.

Meanwhile, I have been busy at the office and getting ready for a trip to Hollywood. The spouse really really really wants me to see some museums down there, like max factor, and some other hollywood crap. This is the part where i act interested and engaged.

Oh, and I've been lurking. Been very active in a cigar forum lately and been working on a new master for my molds so I've been a busy beaver. Looking at 3D printing too.

Lots going on.

Staying out of trouble are we?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back