Finally first solo!

CARLOS W

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wild2fly
Do to bad weather,and planes being down i finally had a nice day to do my first solo. Did 3 touch n go's and probably the best 3 landings I have done so far. I already completed my dual xcountry, night xcountry, and hood time.. so now just need prob 9 flights until the big one.

Here is the video of my first solo. Of course my gopro battery died before my last and best landing. Other landing not great lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20170505_180406_208.jpg
    IMG_20170505_180406_208.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Congrats and good luck on the next steps! I remember my first solo, and as soon as I lifted off the runway, the first thought that went through my head was "Well, looks like I am on the only that can get this thing back on the ground in one piece now!" Great feeling isn't it?

Also, the bucket of water was a nice touch!

How many hours do you have?

Congrats! Was the water a total surprise?

Well he told me before to bring change of clothes. So i knew they do that. But i been trying to solo for a while now that i totally forgot about the water and didn't know when. I was so excited that i soloed i forgot about and it was a total surprise.

Do to bad weather,and planes being down i finally had a nice day to do my first solo. Did 3 touch n go's and probably the best 3 landings I have done so far. I already completed my dual xcountry, night xcountry, and hood time.. so now just need prob 9 flights until the big one.

I remember my first solo well, asoon as I got on the downwind for my first TnG I started gleefully screaming "IM ALL ALONE AND ITS AWESOME."

You are a pilot now, good job and good luck.:thumbsup:

Awesome!

How many hours do you have?

After today 32.7 lol. My Instructor has been trying to solo me since 15 hours. But weather was always bad. So we kept on going and practiced crosswinds, did xcountry, night xcountry, night flight, all my hood time, and practice in bad winds.. so finally today was a nice day. Winds only 6-9 knots. That's nice for me since past months each time I went up it has been 14knots gusting 24knots. And usually a nice xwind also. So it was ok to practice but not solo.

After today 32.7 lol. My Instructor has been trying to solo me since 15 hours. But weather was always bad. So we kept on going and practiced crosswinds, did xcountry, night xcountry, night flight, all my hood time, and practice in bad winds.. so finally today was a nice day. Winds only 6-9 knots. That's nice for me since past months each time I went up it has been 14knots gusting 24knots. And usually a nice xwind also. So it was ok to practice but not solo.
I had a similar number of hours before solo, waiting on my medical. It was kind of a non-event, I wasn't that nervous at that point. Not completely, but kind of. :)

Congrats!!

Out of every milestone I've met in aviation, I still remember my first solo as the fondest of all. I remember it very clearly... December 21, 1984.

Shucks... I think I still have the shirt..

Last edited:
Congrats!!

Out of every milestone I've met in aviation, I still remember my first solo as the fondest of all. I remember it very clearly... December 21, 1884.

Ya. Every Cinco de mayo I will have a drink in memory of my first solo on this date lol

Congratulations, pilot!!

Pretty great feeling, isn't it?
Yes it is.. took me a bit but when I landed it hit me more.. think because I had my game face on during my 3 landings lol

Ya. Every Cinco de mayo I will have a drink in memory of my first solo on this date lol
Great point!!! Didn't even make that connection (although I certainly celebrated Cinco de Mayo..).

I had a similar number of hours before solo, waiting on my medical. It was kind of a non-event, I wasn't that nervous at that point. Not completely, but kind of. :)

I agree I wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be. When he told me to drop him off at 15 hours yes I was much more nervous. But since I built double the hours I was more confident

Congrats!!

Out of every milestone I've met in aviation, I still remember my first solo as the fondest of all. I remember it very clearly... December 21, 1884.

Did you solo in a balloon?

Did you have to be 16 back then? That would make you at least 149. And I thought I was an old fart....

Congrats to Carlos.

Congratulations!!!

One of my Best memory's myself. I have a scrap book and i still have the shirt That my CFI cut the back off and drew the the plane N number, runway and date on and signed it. it was great day. Happy for you!

Did you have to be 16 back then? That would make you at least 149. And I thought I was an old fart....

Congrats to Carlos.
That's the second time I've done that. Not sure if I'm fat fingering or for some reason my phone is auto correcting!!

Thanks everyone.. seems you guys are the only ones that really understand that feeling lol.. friends and family really don't get it. :)

Congrats to Carlos.
He probably is that old. It would explain his frequent crotchety nature.

:D;)

Way to go. What happened to clipping shirtails? I thought the water drenching was a Glider thing.

Way to go. What happened to clipping shirtails? I thought the water drenching was a Glider thing.
No idea but it was fun and felt great. It was a hot day in the San Antonio texas afternoon. So that water actually felt amazing. No joke I didn't have to change by the time I walked into the fbo I was almost dry . Go figure.

congrats. I remember reading your "newbie" post.. now your a PILOT.
well done. keep us updated. Your next super amazing milestone is that long XC. Almost as good (maybe even better if you ask some people) as your first solo.

Great job, Carlos!

congrats. I remember reading your "newbie" post.. now your a PILOT.
well done. keep us updated. Your next super amazing milestone is that long XC. Almost as good (maybe even better if you ask some people) as your first solo.
Yes.. I can only imagine that my long xcountry will probably feel great also.. I will keep everyone posted. I need to start prepping for my oral portion.. so if any tips let me know

Once more, congratulations on being able to fly a dang aluminum tube through the sky all by yourself!
Don't forget now that when you go fly by yourself, YOU will be the PIC, YOU will be solely responsible for the safe outcome of the flight. It sounds scary but it can also be fun.

Now GO FLY!! :)

Once more, congratulations on being able to fly a dang aluminum tube through the sky all by yourself!
Don't forget now that when you go fly by yourself, YOU will be the PIC, YOU will be solely responsible for the safe outcome of the flight. It sounds scary but it can also be fun.

Now GO FLY!! :)

I been trying to fly but damn weather acting up. Hopefully tomorrow. Lol

Back