Finally changing engine at 3500 SMOH

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
Bought a 172 for flight training about 3 ½ years ago with almost 1800 hours on the Lycoming O320 engine. After a trouble free additional 1700 hours we’re putting an overhauled one in. For a 2000 hour TBO engine I think we got our money’s worth. And there was really nothing wrong with the old one. We’ll have the old one out and new one running in just a few days. Students are waiting IMG_6008.jpegIMG_6012.jpeg

Love hearing these stories, hope it translates to my Arrow :cool:

Love hearing these stories, hope it translates to my Arrow :cool:
Wasn't my experience in the least with a IO-360-C1C last Fall. In fairness I didn't ask about exchange lead times, which is the route the OP appears to be going; I'm non-revenue and couldn't justify such a premium anyways. Hope 2024 gets better on that front for ya.

Cool!

Which suffix on the engine?

Wasn't my experience in the least with a IO-360-C1C last Fall. In fairness I didn't ask about exchange lead times, which is the route the OP appears to be going; I'm non-revenue and couldn't justify such a premium anyways. Hope 2024 gets better on that front for ya.
O-320 vs IO-360. I’ve also seen an IO-360 not make TBO, but others do… YMMV.

It‘s the mighty 160hp O-320-H2AD.
we didn’t exchange the old one. We’d bought a wrecked 172 last summer and sold just about everything but the engine. Had the engine rebuilt so had it sitting on pallet ready to go yesterday. Expect to be flying on Monday. (and we have a tired engine ready for its overhaul.

When I sold the Mooney this summer its Lycoming IO360A3B6D was at its 2,000 TBO with original cylinders and no indication of being tired at all. Low oil consumption, high 70 diff pressure in all 4 and good looking boroscope pix. New owner has been flying it plenty since and has no current plans to change it out. Fly LOP and fly often.

Bought a 172 for flight training about 3 ½ years ago with almost 1800 hours on the Lycoming O320 engine. After a trouble free additional 1700 hours we’re putting an overhauled one in. For a 2000 hour TBO engine I think we got our money’s worth. And there was really nothing wrong with the old one. We’ll have the old one out and new one running in just a few days. Students are waiting
To what to you attribute this enviable feat?
MOGAS?
25 hr oil change?
Some other operational technique that we could all learn from?
LUCK????

Fly LOP and fly often.
I was going to ask if you fly LOP, but I didn't think that was much of an option with a carburetted engine. How do you determine LOP?

When I sold the Mooney this summer its Lycoming IO360A3B6D was at its 2,000 TBO with original cylinders and no indication of being tired at all. Low oil consumption, high 70 diff pressure in all 4 and good looking boroscope pix. New owner has been flying it plenty since and has no current plans to change it out. Fly LOP and fly often.

We got 2250 out of the same engine model before it told us it was time. POH TBO is 1800.

MOGAS?
25 hr oil change?
Some other operational technique that we could all learn from?
LUCK????
No it burned nothing but 100LL. We tried to change oil and filter every 50 hours. Sometimes we made it. We have no CHT or EGT gauges, but I impress on all my students to lean in cruise to a slight power loss and then turn the mixture in one full turn. Aggressively lean on the ground. Biggest thing is probably that the plane flys a lot.

POH TBO is 1800.
?????
I don’t have a POH here at home, but every recollection I have is 2000 TBO for this engine. I Googled it and every reference says 2000.

?????
I don’t have a POH here at home, but every recollection I have is 2000 TBO for this engine. I Googled it and every reference says 2000.

I will look again next time but I thought I had read 1800hrs.

It seems like when I hear about engines that have flown way past their tbo, they were flown 50+ hrs/month. The engines that didn't make tbo were occasionally flown.

Exchange and OH-yours are the same price at Western Skyways, no added premium. For your next OH decision. :)

Exchange and OH-yours are the same price at Western Skyways, no added premium. For your next OH decision. :)
Interesting, that seems counterintuitive. How could that pricing parity account for cams, cases and cranks from your core not passing?

I mean I'll take your word for it since I didn't get a quote for an exchange. I've just never encountered a product where the expedited option cost the same as the "mail your own get it back when we get to it" option, let alone one where the price is based on condition they can't possibly determine until they get your core.

Humble bragging.
Bought a 172 for flight training about 3 ½ years ago with almost 1800 hours on the Lycoming O320 engine. After a trouble free additional 1700 hours we’re putting an overhauled one in. For a 2000 hour TBO engine I think we got our money’s worth.
Humble bragging.

Biggest thing is probably that the plane flys a lot.

The engines that didn't make tbo were occasionally flown.
Same old thing. The ones that don't make TBO flew too little, and often on short flights that weren't long enough to get the oil temp up, and to make matters worse, much worse, some get ground-run in the mistaken belief that it's doing some good to the engine. It's not. It's wrecking it.

3500 hours, at an average of, say, 100 MPH, is 350,000 miles.

So where is the "dinosaur" technology in these engines that make them so crude and unreliable?

3500*45mph is 157,500mi. So not bad even in car terms.

Interesting, that seems counterintuitive. How could that pricing parity account for cams, cases and cranks from your core not passing?

I mean I'll take your word for it since I didn't get a quote for an exchange. I've just never encountered a product where the expedited option cost the same as the "mail your own get it back when we get to it" option, let alone one where the price is based on condition they can't possibly determine until they get your core.

It didn't make sense to me either. The core I got was newer and fresher than the one I sent them in. And there was a 30 day grace to send them back the core, which was plenty of time for me to swap them, even at my lazy pace.

Some value left on the table for sure there, presumably in exchange for good will? :dunno: Definitely worth a peek, I really like the idea of exchanging for a built motor instead of suffering some of the downtimes I see reported out there.

I think I've flown on three remans that we turned in cores for... just saying.

The type of engine has the biggest impact on its longevity. An 912 Rotax will run for ever an A65 won't. Even if you ran both 5 hours a day every day.

I never understood why a privately owned airplane doesn't fly at least 300 hours a year.
Flying the Bonanza 300 hours/year would cost me about $25k in fuel/oil. Add in hangar, insurance, Foreflight/Jeppesen, annual, plus misc maintenance and all those other little things (that cost an AMU each) and pretty soon you are starting to talk about real money. I might have enough money to last me the rest of my life, but what if Iive longer than that? ;)

edit: Add in the fact that I get bored drilling holes in the sky and prefer to actually go someplace. Now add in hotels, rental cars restaurants and other entertainment expenses while away from home. I'd love to be able to afford that, but ...

edit: Add in the fact that I get bored drilling holes in the sky and prefer to actually go someplace. ...

Now that (getting bored just drilling long holes in the sky) is the thing that I have trouble wrapping my head around. Oh, I know it is real, but to think of the magic of flight as just transportation... <shaking my head>

I started flying because it’s supposed to be fun . Weather in the pattern, practice area or cross country. I do prefer cross country but every flight is an adventure. Hope to get that kind of hours out of my o200

I would leave value on the table for:

1) quick turnaround on major engine work
2) higher probability of trouble free dispatch rate

Next engine will take me to end of flying days, so I will probably splurge and change the engine on my terms, not the engine's.

In my experience, all things equal, engine life is directly proportional to regular weekly/monthly usage, never exceeding its operational limits, running only 100LL, and proper mx which includes oil changes and other OEM preventative/monitoring measures.
How could that pricing parity account for cams, cases and cranks from your core not passing?
Depends on the shop but any exchange simply goes into the system to maintain stock. For example, if you're exchanging a number of engines per month any parts that don't pass inspection are absorbed in the big picture costs. For those shops offering same price for exchange as OH its usually a shop workflow or volume requirement. The money is in the outflow and not the inflow in those cases.

Just speaking for me, the reasons were work and weather

In my mothers best nagging voice.... ''Get a real job like your father and move a place with sunshine.!!''

Here in Gallup we get approximately 400 sunny days a year.

Ok, I think I read it is closer to 280 sunny days, except today, I can't see my back fence due to the snow falling. :sigh:

Bought a 172 for flight training about 3 ½ years ago with almost 1800 hours on the Lycoming O320 engine. After a trouble free additional 1700 hours we’re putting an overhauled one in. For a 2000 hour TBO engine I think we got our money’s worth. And there was really nothing wrong with the old one.
I would really like to know the condition of the crank and camshaft upon teardown. Is this something you can find out and would you post the results here? The flight school I used to work for felt that exceeding the recommended overhaul period would result in the need to buy a new crankshaft rather than turn the old one, costing more money than it's worth. I wonder if your results will disprove that theory.

Part of the premium pricing. Western’s exchange program is generally on-demand, they aren’t usually sitting on a stock of built and pickled motors. Tell them you want to exchange and they pull a serviceable core and start the process once your deposit has arrived. They build and ship the motor, then you do the swap and send back your runout motor.

Once WS gets your old motor back, they inspect the case; if it’s not repairable or you choose to buy a motor outright, there’s a $5K core charge.

Like Penn Yan, they do their own case inspections and repairs, it doesn’t go off to Divco or somebody. Old cylinders are overhauled, new Superior Milleniums are what’s used for the OH.

Same old thing. The ones that don't make TBO flew too little, and often on short flights that weren't long enough to get the oil temp up, and to make matters worse, much worse, some get ground-run in the mistaken belief that it's doing some good to the engine. It's not. It's wrecking it.
So, how do they run-in AGE equipment with aircraft engines installed? Just sayin'... :)

I knew an old Texan who won a contract to overhaul AGE equipment for the Air Force because the previous contractor's engines burned too much oil. All he did different was run 'em in on the ground with a club prop to seat the rings.

The core I got was newer and fresher than the one I sent them in.
When I got out of the service I got a job with an AI who was in the process of overhauling a Continental from a Bonanza. Every day, he'd walk over to the split case and study it rather than assemble the thing. "Something just don't look right," he said. Finally, he figures it out — "The webbing for the crankshaft's main bearings is missing!" Now, I don't remember what the final verdict was regarding the serviceability of that engine, but the point is he spotted a potentially unserviceable condition. The webbing had been ground out from a different model case and he refused to reassemble it as is. Perhaps it was a legal repair or maybe became one since then, IDK. With exchange engines you don't know what you don't know.

Last edited:
3500*45mph is 157,500mi. So not bad even in car terms.
I know what you're saying, but I'd be pretty disappointed if I only got 157,000 miles out of a modern car engine. Of course, those aren't run nearly as continuously hard as airplane engines.

3500 hours, much of it being run at >60% power, is pretty good for any internal combustion engine I'd think.

…With exchange engines you don't know what you don't know.
Even with new engines, you don’t know what you don’t know. Bought a brand new Wellcraft in 1998 with the marine 4.3L Vortec. Within 10hrs, I was in with a motor that wouldn’t run. Turns out one of the pushrods was about .005” too short and got shot up and captured by the rocker arm, seizing the motor and bending a few more pushrods along the way.

Back