filming documentary at Gastons this year

H

hawknips

Hi all,

Looks like I am going to be out at Gastons this year filming a documentary about Gastons and the fly in. Maybe you know or not but I produce the Aviation Video Podcast for Jason Miller and On The Flight Line. http://www.ontheflightline.libsyn.com/

I am writing the script, well as much as you can for a documentary film, and I am looking for ideas on what to add into the script and shot list so I don't miss any good stuff. So I wanted to ask you all if there is anything that you would like to see in the film. Are there any activities or "can't miss shots" that you can think of.

I am also looking for people that would like to be interviewed on film, as well as volunteers for flights and maybe some air to air filming.

This is a low to no budget film so any help would be great. I might need some grips as well if anyone would like to hold a mic or reflector for a bit one day.

The Gasons story is one I have wanted to tell, on film, for some time now. And with your help we can really make a beautiful film.

Thanks in advance.
-Will

Re: filming documentary at Gasons this year

Damn. Now we have to put on stage makeup.

Will, that sounds cool!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Hi Will. :)

Looks like I am going to be out at Gastons this year filming a documentary about Gastons and the fly in.
I am writing the script, well as much as you can for a documentary film, and I am looking for ideas on what to add into the script and shot list so I don't miss any good stuff. So I wanted to ask you all if there is anything that you would like to see in the film. Are there any activities or "can't miss shots" that you can think of.

This is so cool! :yes: Sounds like we will all have fun. Plus, I'm glad you are joining us!

Ken Ibold wrote a great article about our fly-in at Gaston's. In case you haven't read it, here it is. Reading it might help give you some insight.

I am also looking for people that would like to be interviewed on film, as well as volunteers for flights and maybe some air to air filming.
As I mentioned to you before, I'm very camera shy, but I bet you will find plenty of people who will volunteer to be interviewed. :yes: What I CAN do is offer you an aerobatic ride while you are there. :)

Thanks Diana,

I may take you up on that ride. How ever I may let someone take the camera up with them as I am prone to air sickness. But it will be great to meet you and all the others.

I have lots of great ideas about what to shoot and how it will look. I have read Ken's article and it was a great help. Thanks so much.

Hope to see you there.

-Will

Worry not Tony. The only make up any one needs for my films is a great smile and I know all of us airplane nuts can't help but to have a grin ear to ear when we are hanging out with other pilots.

Hope to see you there

-Will

Damn. Now we have to put on stage makeup.

Will, that sounds cool!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Tony, or Todd, or Troy, whatever works... I get called all three for some reason!!
I thought your name was Tango! :dunno: :D

Hey, maybe you could get Will up to speed on the Gaston's Poker Run! :yes:

Thanks Diana,

I may take you up on that ride. How ever I may let someone take the camera up with them as I am prone to air sickness.
Ohhhh, good idea. :)

Hope to see you there.
I'm glad you're coming, even if you weren't going to make a movie. :) Are you flying your Arrow to Gaston's?

Tony, or Todd, or Troy, whatever works... I get called all three for some reason!!

LOL sorry Troy I have not had my coffee yet. My most sincere apologies. I will get it right by the time Gastons gets here Hee hee hee. Heck I forgot my own name for a few minutes this morning too.

-Will

Ohhhh, good idea. :)

I'm glad you're coming, even if you weren't going to make a movie. :) Are you flying your Arrow to Gaston's?

No it is looking like I may be flying the human mailing tube to Wi and Kent will pick me up.

Due to the low/no budget status of this project I can't afford to fly the Arrow out. :-( Oh well maybe next year..... Also because of budget constraints I am filming solo and I didn't want to fly 1400NM solo.

-Will

No it is looking like I may be flying the human mailing tube to Wi and Kent will pick me up.
Oh, you know Kent? Are your podcasts related somehow? I'm so confused about podcasts and don't always know which one is which. :redface:

Hey, maybe you could get Will up to speed on the Gaston's Poker Run! :yes:

It would be cool if we could get him out to one or more of the outlying airports to get video of folks getting their cards, then the actual event Saturday night.

It would be cool if we could get him out to one or more of the outlying airports to get video of folks getting their cards, then the actual event Saturday night.

If there is to be a poker run then I would love to try and add that to the film. How does it work?

And Diana, Ya I am a podcaster as well. I have the Pilot's Flight PodLog. This is different from The Pilotcast but I do know Mike, Kent, and Dan from podcasting. If you do a name search on my in iTunes you will find my podcasts. Or check out the link in my sig.

-Will

I too think this is quite cool...except now our landings will be documented:eek:

I too think this is quite cool...except now our landings will be documented:eek:
Arrive early, leave late, and don't give rides!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

And something Will didn't mention is that he's also been helping out the Pilotcast folks by producing some of their episodes lately!

If there is to be a poker run then I would love to try and add that to the film. How does it work?

And Diana, Ya I am a podcaster as well. I have the Pilot's Flight PodLog. This is different from The Pilotcast but I do know Mike, Kent, and Dan from podcasting. If you do a name search on my in iTunes you will find my podcasts. Or check out the link in my sig.

-Will

Will -
Here is the thread regarding the poker run.

Lance don't worry about it. I can fix anything in post.... :rofl:

-Will

I think you should load your video stuff in MikeA's Dakota...

:rofl:

Will,

I do a bit of video editing stuff for fun, and would love to help you out in any way. PM me if you need anything. I'll brainstorm some ideas and post them here for others to build on.

Thanks Diana,

I may take you up on that ride. How ever I may let someone take the camera up with them as I am prone to air sickness. But it will be great to meet you and all the others.

I have lots of great ideas about what to shoot and how it will look. I have read Ken's article and it was a great help. Thanks so much.

Hope to see you there.

-Will

Ooooh Ooooh! MEE!!! :)

Will,

I do a bit of video editing stuff for fun, and would love to help you out in any way. PM me if you need anything. I'll brainstorm some ideas and post them here for others to build on.

Hey Will,

I'd like to echo some of Ross's thoughts as well. I'll try to come up with a few good ideas based off my vid editing experience. I'm also more than glad to volunteer to film anything in any airplane, at any time. :goofy:

NO NO NO !!! Will please don't do it. People will see, people will hear, people will want to came and then there won't be any room left ............. :no:

Last edited:

Thanks Diana,

I may take you up on that ride. How ever I may let someone take the camera up with them as I am prone to air sickness.

-Will

Be careful Will, Daina tends to get her upsides and downsides mixed up at times. :rofl:

NO NO NO !!! Will please don't do it. People will see, people will hear, people will want to came and then there won't be any room left ............. :no:

Too late

Yeah I should be there!

Thanks for the input from everybody. It looks like I will be flying the Arrow from California and as it turns out we will have a host for the film. Jason Miller, from The Finer Points, will be joining my on the trip. Should be a great time. See you all soon.

Thanks for the input from everybody. It looks like I will be flying the Arrow from California and as it turns out we will have a host for the film. Jason Miller, from The Finer Points, will be joining my on the trip. Should be a great time. See you all soon.

Ahh...great! Looking forward to meeting you and seeing Jason again.

Wow! Welcome to the insanity. :) I am looking forward to meeting the "voices in my head", as Dave Higdon would say.

Damn !!!!!!!!! :fcross:

So are you coming ?? :yes:

Dave are you comming???? You and Carleen may just get me in the Archer with Ted.... but we would need a place to stay (and not together):rofl:

Dave are you comming???? You and Carleen may just get me in the Archer with Ted.... but we would need a place to stay (and not together):rofl:

It's on our list of places to stop :cheerswine:.

We just have a simple little room but I'd bet if you start asking you might find a spot. Some one may have one of them big ol' places with extra space. Ted can sleep in the plane, he's young :rolleyes:

Supposed to be there Friday and leave Monday.

Dang... but it's the weekend after Red Bull Detroit and that would make two weekends in a row without Shane...

I know Ted will like to know that I'm waivering agian.

If you'd like some original music for the flick, please let me know. I would be happy to contribute around 10 or so minutes of music for this.

If you'd like some original music for the flick, please let me know. I would be happy to contribute around 10 or so minutes of music for this.

That, right there, is a COOL OFFER! I hope he takes you up on it.

Okay, this might be kinda long, I don't blame you if you ignore it.

I have a particular bone to pick with producers of many of the documentary style, or event driven filmography. It seems like the producer or director or both get so caught up in themselves, and the pie-faces around them that they completely forget what they are there to cover!

For example, I often watch the RM classic car auctions. Now, the idea is that fine, vintage auto are sold to over-fed, over-moneyed idiots on TV. Invariably, the camera will spend about 15-45 seconds on the face of some announcer/buyer/seller/auctioneer that I couldn't give a wet dribbly spit about, and a quick 3-6 second shot of the car/chassis/interior/engine/wheel/etc.

So, I implore you, keep the camera off the talking heads. And please, please I'm begging you - I absolutely don't want to know about the new puppies that the pilot/owner/operator has. I don't want or need to know about his flying career over the last 40 years in the Yukon. I don't care at all that the pilot's wife's aunt was Amelia's next door neighbor back in the 20s. If it's about Gastons, then keep it focused on the planes, facilities, flying, landing, TO, acro, formation, camping, distance trip, gadgets, gizmos, and basically anything that doesn't involve some overweight gray haired puss on the camera. If you have to have someone on the camera, please find a good looking, scantily clad woman, that knows at least a modicum about GA.

<insert smiley icon here>

Back